Jump to content
    Fishwings
  • Author
  • 726 Words
  • 3,829 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I'm Not From Earth - 15. Fifteen

f i f t e e n

Rover just stared, completely mummified from confusion. He ignored the earnest tone of Slade's voice and concluded that he was suffering from some mental illness. They stood under the moonlight, river running alongside of them, looking at each other. Rover struggling to keep his expression blank and Slade's face twisted in heart breaking pain, full of hope and desperation. A minute passed. Two minutes.

"Okay," Rover finally said, his voice cracking, "so, uh, where's your baseball bat?"

"This isn't a joke."

Rover swallowed. "Okay. Then, I can't help you, but like, doctors can though. Uhm, Somerset has the number of a shrink..."

Slade blinked twice before regaining his composure. The torment in his face vanished, replaced instead by his cruel mask. In the cold white light of the stars and moon, he was a nocturnal predator; a glowering angel of death; a beautiful but hostile alien that had descended from the heavens.

In other words, Slade looked ready to kill.

And hell, if he wanted to, there was no questioning what those muscles and that hidden, supernatural reservoir of strength could do. He wouldn't need a knife or a wooden stick -- he could tear Rover apart with his bare hands. There in his eyes, was the fiery hatred and madness. Madness that could crush Rover's skull with a well placed swing and a fatal bruise to the stomach. Hatred that could shred his ribs with a flick of his foot. Just like how father had done it.

Rover found himself trembling all over, a cold film of dew forming over his forehead. Slade's intense expression faded, seemingly at this.

"Forget it," he said, very quietly, and turned to walk away. "I'm sorry for scaring you, sir. Won't let a psycho like me terrorize random victims."

In moments, he was swallowed by the shadows of the trees.

Rover sat down, numb. His mind was a buzzing whirlwind of jumbled up emotions. Fear, anger, confusion, lust, wonder, fear.

Fear.

Slade had left him standing stupid in the middle of the forest, at night. Rover turned once around, could not recognize where he came from or how far he had gone off track, and cursed. Stranded, alone and filled with fear. And anger.

"Slade!" Rover shouted into the darkness. "What is with you? How the hell do you expect someone to react when you pull your best horror face and tell them you're an alien in the middle of the night, in the middle of a forest? I'm sorry if I didn't help, but you can't just like, leave me here in the middle of nowhere."

The only answers were the soft echoes of his own voice.

"Hello?"

A minute passed. Five minutes.

"Slade!"

Pausing for only two more seconds, he screamed his curses for the world to hear.

"Fuck you!"

The fear of darkness began to squeeze at Rover's chest now that Slade was gone, but he was angry enough to not call for his help again. He reached into his pocket for his cellphone to call Somerset... and it wasn't there. He cursed again, his panic rising. He checked all his pockets and bent down to the forest floor, searching in the meagre moonlight and feeling with his fingers. Nothing but dead leaves and rocks.

Rover stood up and ran in the direction to where he thought he had come from. He didn't know for sure, but he couldn't just sit doing nothing. He had to try to get out. He had to run.

His footsteps matched his heartbeat, adrenaline pumping through his veins. The elevation of the forest floor climbed and climbed, but Rover was too freaked out to notice.

That is, until he made the mistake of running into the nearest patch of what seemed like a clearing in the forest.

The elevation was cut off abruptly, a cliff revealing a sea of jagged boulders that glowed like bones in a dinosaur graveyard.

"Hell!"

Rover whirled, but he was going to fast to come to a full stop. His fingernails dug into the soil and his knees skidded on gravel, his body twisting and turning out of control.

Too late. There was a slight pause, his heart fluttering like butterflies drowning in acid, a gentle burst of cool wind as he flipped over...

And he fell.

*

Copyright © 2011 Luc Rosen; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Um is it just me or does this guy have a problem keeping his feet on the ground. I like the fact that this story is so unpredictable, I never sure what is going to happen. Btw I love the opening sentence " mummified in confusion". Awesome!!

Link to comment
On 02/23/2013 02:32 PM, Daithi said:
Um is it just me or does this guy have a problem keeping his feet on the ground. I like the fact that this story is so unpredictable, I never sure what is going to happen. Btw I love the opening sentence " mummified in confusion". Awesome!!
Haha, Rover is definitely flung around a lot. And thank you, I tried to keep things fresh!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..