Jump to content
    grahamsealby
  • Author
  • 3,704 Words
  • 936 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

KENNY - 9. Chapter 9

It was a desolate atmosphere in the Headmasters office that sunny afternoon. Two men of the clergy faced each other across ten thousand miles of desk. The older man was crumpled; sagging into his chair as if desperately seeking comfort and protection. He had just been told of such evil happenings that no school administrator should have to endure.

The younger man had adopted a respectable and miserable demeanor. Brother Michael was a hard man but even he had quailed at the prospect of telling this wonderful old man such appalling news. Perhaps for the first time in his life he felt the agony of remorse. Brother Dominic looked up from his contemplation of his desk diary and . . .

‘You’re telling me (disbelief) that this appalling state of affairs has been going on for almost three years. What (exasperated) have you been doing Brother Michael; what have you done personally to encourage our people in this matter. What has been your role?’

‘(A deep breath) I have long believed the Church to be wrong on the issue of Celibacy; very wrong. A healthy sex life is a need given to us by our creator and it is immoral of the church to oppose this . . .’

‘That (heatedly) is not your prerogative to challenge, Brother. (Raising his voice) Neither you nor I can challenge official church teaching on the matter. You know that! You made a vow . . .’

‘(Angrily) yes, yes I did; yes I took a vow! I took a vow because I wasn’t given any alternative; (louder) I had no option. I had no choice in the matter . . . just do as the church dictates and shut up!’

‘Are you telling me you took your vow with a false heart?’

‘That’s one way to look at the issue. Another would be that I wanted to do great things. To reach out and help people, believing that the greater good is served by not following out of date church teachings on a fundamental issue such as celibacy. Other Christian faiths do not enforce celibacy; they allow their adherents to marry, have children, and live a happy life. No . . . please don’t interrupt Brother; let me finish.

The main reason that celibacy is required has nothing to do with doctrine but has everything to do with economics. The Church in its usual miserly fashion doesn’t want to spend money for the upkeep of spouses and families. What hypocrisy! We are against the use of family planning; encouraging lay people to have large families, but at the same time denying that wonderful joy to their own clergy. Hypocrisy! Double standards!’

‘(Sigh) Careful brother, that attitude may see you lose your privileges as a priest. You may be defrocked.’

“Ha! That’s a laugh; I’m resigning right now. I want no more to do with hypocritical church teachings. I’m sure that I’ll have to face criminal charges but when I do you may be assured that I’ll have my day in court. I intend to expose the dire hypocrisy of the Catholic Church. I’m not gonna go quietly.’

‘I’m sorry you feel . . .’

‘(Angrily) Please don’t give me platitudes Brother. I’ve seen too much insincerity in my time as a priest. (Pause) Now back to your earlier question. What was my role in this mess? Now I can tell you. I found out about the brothers paying for sex with the abbo boys and girls and was entirely sympathetic. I told them individually, that as long as they didn’t victimize the kids, and the parents had no objection, I would let them continue. It seemed a win, win situation. Then I approached the local police sergeant and having put my case, asked for him to turn a blind eye. He agreed and so the matter proceeded. That was until the little abbo girl was killed; the rest, as they say, is history.’

An uncomfortable silence grew whilst each man considered the next move.

He’s captured the high moral ground. His threat to turn on the church is real; knowing Brother Michael as I do, he’ll carry out his threat and the church will suffer greatly. But it’s not up to me is it? All I can do is report the whole mess to the bishop and tender my resignation . . . or enforced retirement.

‘Well, what should we do now Brother?’

‘Wait.’

♂♂

The ambulance rushing Jeffry to hospital arrived at the Emergency entrance with sirens wailing. Waiting staff hurried him into the Intensive care unit and proceeded to repair his most obvious and serious wounds.

He had been lucky; the air bag has saved his life. Aside from broken ribs and lacerations to his legs the only other damage was to his head where he’d taken a serious bump to the side; there was more blood than damage.

Nevertheless, a cat scan and x-ray were taken and were awaiting the report of a specialist. A tearful and remorseful Cindy arrived and had to wait for the medical staff to inform her as to his state. On the other hand Laurie Cree indicated he couldn’t care less whether his cousin lived or died.

♂♂

Kenny was devastated by the call from Gloria; Jeffry in intensive care with serious injuries which could have been self-inflicted. Suddenly he felt frightened; two of the most important people in Kenny’s life were now lying in hospital with life-threatening injuries. He’d already told Rickie about Billy and now explained about Jeffry.

‘I don’t know if it was a deliberate attempt at suicide or a simple accident; but it sounds like he was trying to hurt himself. I must go.’

‘(sighing) I understand Ken; I understand you have feelings for this guy. (Whining) I wish you had’ve had the same feelings for me. Maybe we could’ve made an effort with our relationship.’

‘C’mon Rickie, you know we had more problems than just how we felt about each other. Let’s not go there again . . . please.’

‘(whining) let’s not go where? You suddenly decide that we don’t have a relationship and then take off to some piffy country town to get away from me. And now I’m dying and you want to return to this country yob who as you admit, has made a complete mess of his life; Right?’

‘Wrong. Firstly, you’re not dying; the treatment of aids has come a long way and our people aren’t dying anymore. HIV is controllable and you could live a long life. Secondly; you can’t point the finger about Jeff being in the closet when you’re doing exactly the same.’

‘(pause) Ouch . . . I’m sorry Ken, I didn’t want to sound like a possessive bitch. You’re right; our major problem was me being a coward and staying in the closet. (Sigh) I’ll have to come clean now, won’t I? I can’t disguise the fact that I have aids. My footy career’s over; I won’t be allowed to play now that I’m HIV positive. What a fucking mess!’

‘Yeah, it sure is Rickie. But lots of HIV positive people find others and they can have a good life together. You were my first love Rickie; that’s something I’ll never forget and will always have tender memories . . . Look after yourself kiddo.’

♂♂

And as he drove away from Melbourne towards the place he now called home, Kenny had time to think.

Why have I been avoiding admitting to myself the strength of my very deep feelings for Jeff? It’s strange that the emotions you have as a child seemed to strengthen as you get older. I knew way back then that I felt something special for Jeff but being so young I couldn’t recognize my feelings for what they were. I guess it’s the same as childhood sweethearts finally getting married and living the rest of their lives together.

Somehow the years apart have made my feelings more powerful and yet I couldn’t or wouldn’t admit that I loved him. Sadly it took a potential tragedy to make me see the truth. I’ll never forget the emptiness when I took the call from Gloria. My mouth went dry and my heart beat savagely. I can’t lose him; I won’t lose him. Not now, not ever.

♂♂

On arriving back in Waterford, Kenny didn’t go home; he went straight to the hospital and was directed to the intensive care ward. There Jeffry lay; head encased in bandages and an oxygen mask assisting his breathing. He looked pitiful; he looked vulnerable and to Kenny his heart literally ached to see him in this condition. He sat down beside the now comatose Jeff and . . . talked to him.

‘I . . . I love you man. (Pause) I’m so sorry it took me so long to recognize it Jeff. Now I’ll shout it out loud if only you’ll come back to us; to me. (Choke) I know you’re sensitive and probably not very emotionally strong but that part of you that makes me love you. (Pause) Geeze it’s good to say the words out loud . . . I love you Jeff. If you’ll let me, we’ll plan a life together and grow old together. (Pause) Shit that sounds corny! But I don’t care; (sob) I don’t care about the future, I only care about the present with you, with me.

If (sob) you feel as strong about me as I do about you, we’ll overcome life’s problems. I can’t . . . (pause) I can’t wait to wake up and feel you lying beside me; and let me tell you you’re about the sexiest man I’ve ever seen. We’ll have happiness and (pause) yes a few sad times; life’s not easy. But it is certainly easier if you’ve got the person you love sharing the highs and lows with you. (Pause) Geeze, I love you Jeff . . .’

‘That was beautiful . . . I wish; I wish I had someone to say things like that to me. That was beautiful Ken; I’m sure Jeffry heard you.’

‘Oh hi . . . (Kenny looked up at Gloria who had come in unnoticed) I . . . Uh . . . just wanted to tell him how I feel about him; even if he can’t hear me. Sorry babe; I’ve just come straight from driving and I must smell yucky. Geeze . . . he looks bad!’

‘That’s Ok (laughing) beautiful words will always overcome any smell. And don’t worry, he’s actually better than he looks; the air bag saved his life. He’s only on oxygen to help him breath; some of his ribs are severely bruised. But there’s a whole bunch of stuff I’ve got to tell you; how’s about we go down to the hospital coffee shop and I’ll fill you in. For the time being Jeff’s in good hands. C’mon.’

♂♂

‘Jesus Christ (loudly) . . . you’ve got to be kidding. Jeff tried to total himself?’

Like most hospital coffee shops the conversation was subdued, but Kenny’s voice level reflected his alarm at Gloria’s news about Jeff.

‘Yes, apparently; his wife Cynthia broke down and sobbed out the whole sordid story. She was completely consumed with remorse; Jeff caught her in bed with Laurie Cree, and the shock was too much. He just couldn’t cope. That I can understand; your wife being unfaithful with a relative like Laurie Cree, would unbalance anybody. It’s common knowledge that she’d been sleeping around; everybody had heard the rumors . . . except Jeff of course.’

‘What a bitch . . . what a bitch she is and what a mongrel is bloody Laurie Cree. What about Cree’s wife, Betty; does she know?’

‘I can only assume so; the whole town knows so she must. (Angry) How a cretin like Cree got to be a sergeant in the cops is hard to fathom.’

‘Yeah . . . I mean I’ve always known him to be a bastard; I thought he might mellow with time, but it appears he’s got worse. What a fucker! Anyway, you were talking to me about Jeff.’

‘Well, from what I know, Jeff’s been unhappy for some time. I don’t think he intended suicide . . . he was trying to escape; to escape from something horrible. He was driving away from his pain rather than driving towards ending it; he’s very much in love with you and probably worried about you being with your ex-lover. (Kenny went to interrupt). No! I didn’t mean to accuse you Kenny, ’cause you’re one of the most decent persons I’ve ever met. But Jeff is not as strong as you and I guess everything just became too much.’

‘Well, be that as it may; I was in such a rush to get with Rickie I really didn’t consider Jeff’s feelings. Certainly I should’ve called him regularly. I just didn’t think Gloria . . . I just didn’t think.’

‘Well, if you repeat what I heard you say to him just now, he’ll be a very happy boy. (Sigh) I wish I had someone to love just like you and Jeff . . . I’m jealous.’

‘We’ll (thoughtfully) work it out somehow. But I gather the town’s in an uproar over the recent police investigation. What’s happening?’

‘Oh, lots. Let me go back; you knew about Billy (Kenny nodded ‘yes’) Well, he’s still in hospital but out of intensive care. We’ll go back and visit (again Kenny nodded). He was banged up really bad, but the perp left his DNA all over the boy. All we have to do now is get Billy to identify him and if his DNA matches, we’ve got the shit; and I’ve got an idea how to do that.’

‘(Angry) Bloody hell, why do people have to be so cruel? Why batter an innocent young kid like Billy. I just hope he can continue his footy preparation; it’ll be a shame if he’s out for life . . . a bloody shame. But tell me more.’

‘Well, one of the brothers; Ummm, his name is Peter, came to us and volunteered to . . .’

‘Peter! Brother Peter? I know him; he’s a very decent person. I would have no problem vouching for his integrity. What has he got to do with this mess?’

‘If you let me finish . . . he came and admitted he’d been having paid sex with the young abbo boys. We were very wary at first and told him we’d have to consider the information he’d give before we could make any deal with him. (Ken went to interject but Gloria silenced him) Obviously, he wanted immunity but we told him that would have to be considered in Melbourne. We’ve now offered him a conviction with a suspended sentence. Now, what did you want to say?’

‘Shit! (Sounding bewildered) Wow! What can I say; Shit, Brother Peter. (Pause) I’m dismayed. He’s very sincere; but of course he’s also human. I don’t understand how the Catholic Church expects its men-folk to deny their natural urges. To me trying to be celibate is completely un-natural.’

‘How right you are, but let me come back to that; it’s a very important observation and celibacy is the root cause of the problem. But Kenny . . . let me come back to the issue in a moment. Now, where was I . . .?

Oh yes . . . When, we offered him a suspended sentence, he started talking. Fitzpatrick and I could hardly believe the tale he told us. It appears that, with the connivance of Brother Michael and our own sergeant Cree, the brothers have been having sex favors with the abbo kids for money . . .’

‘Wow! You’re telling me that Cree and Brother Michael were encouraging the brothers to have sex with the young abbo kids . . .’

‘. . . yes, and some of the white kids too. But the white kid’s parents didn’t know what’s been going on; at least, we don’t believe they know.’

‘Shit eh! What a mess. But Laurie Cree; it’s hard to understand why he got so involved with the College. Why did he do it?’

‘Before I attempt to answer that, let’s go back to your point about celibacy. When we confronted Brother Michael he confessed he was vehemently opposed to the church on celibacy. Apparently, he turned a blind eye to the brother’s sexual antics and actually protected them by having Cree ignore any prosecution. Why Cree agreed I can’t say; perhaps he was storing up blackmail evidence for later use.’

‘Yeah . . . that’d be right; Cree hasn’t got a noble cell in his entire body. So where does the whole mess stand now?’

‘Cree has been busted to constable, and transferred to a little town outback of Swan Hill. Betty’s gonna divorce him I hear, and move back to Melbourne. Brother Michael has resigned from the Catholic Church, but it won’t end there; the Premier has called for a wide-ranging enquiry into all religious institutions and their encouragement of pedophilia. As a movie, it should be a blockbuster.’

‘Jesus . . . (concerned) but what about that dear old man, Brother Dominic; I wonder what’s gonna happen to him?’

‘(Sadly) I suppose there’s always got to be a scapegoat. He had nothing to do with the goings on but I’m sure the church will have to blame somebody; someone, that is except itself. (Angrily) What a bunch of bastards is the whole Catholic Church. I hold them collectively responsible for this mess. If they didn’t subscribe to that ridiculous stupidity called celibacy, much of this problem could’ve been avoided.’

‘Agreed; they’re all afraid to oppose Rome because their careers depend on being acquiescent. Shit heads! How do you get on with Tom Fitzpatrick? Is he a good guy to work with?’

‘Yeah . . . he’s pretty much what you see is what you get. He’s also a good detective; he’s (sounding excited) offered to smooth the way for me to become a detective, and I’m gonna take him up on that. I like the brain work; the mystery and the challenge.’

‘That sounds great Gloria; Go for it girl, I reckon you’d make a good dic. Now what about Billy; I want to see him before I go home and change.’

Right; let’s go and find the little bugger . . .’

♂♂

. . . Who was sitting up in a chair looking dangerous. His face split into a wide toothy grin when Gloria and Kenny entered.

‘Hey, hey . . . Missus Gloria; Mr. Kenny! I’se gotta thank you’se for cumin ‘t sees me. It sure is borin’ here; I’se got nudding to do. Oh hey Mr. Kenny . . . I’se sorry ‘bout Mr. Jeff; he Ok?’

‘Yeah Billy; he’ll be Ok. He’s in good hands and mending slowly. But we’re here to ask about you. How’re you coming on? I heard you took a real beating. I’ve been worried ‘bout yer footy training. What’s the doctor say?’

‘Arr . . . they’se know nudding; can’t tell Billy what’s for. I been walking and the psycho lady (both Gloria and Kenny laughed at Billy’s wrong pronunciation) she been practicing on me. But I’se got one back de udder day; as she massaged me I let go a big, smelly fart. Like as not knocked her out; ha, ha.’

Billy’s infectious banter relaxed Gloria and Kenny and they enjoyed his lighthearted attitude. It was Kenny who got serious.

‘Whoever attacked you Billy was a miserable coward; you told the cops that he was a big white guy and plenty muscled. Did he make any threats against you; I mean did you have any inkling that he was gonna turn nasty?’

‘(Slowly and thoughtfully) Yep, I’se did. Didn’t like the look of him afore I started to give him a blowjob; but he done flashed a twenty at me so’s I took a chance. But he din’t have to piss on me did he Mr. Kenny . . . did he? That made me mad, real mad. But he had a real big cock Mr. Kenny; you should‘ve seen it. . Big, red an . . .’

‘Stop! . . . Hey that’s enough Billy; there’s a lady present.’

‘Oh . . . Geeze, sorry Miss Gloria; didn’t mean no offense’

‘Relax Billy; I’d rather you give a description of the man rather than describing his private parts. Would you recognize him again?’

‘Yep . . . I’se would. Ya doan forget someone who’s pissed all over you’se. I’d as like to get the fucker and shove a didgeridoo up his arse. And me mum and dad would like to get the witchdoctor onto his case; when we’se finished he won’t look good.’

‘That’s fine Billy . . . real good; I’ve got an idea that just might work. I’ve checked it out with Tom Fitzpatrick and he’s agreed to the plan. But you have to be able to move around freely. What does your doctor say?’

‘That I’se the most attractive, sexy, gorgeous (Ken and Gloria started laughing) and generous boy he’s ever seen. I’se sure he wants his cock sucked! . . . Eh Mr. Kenny; you’se ever fucked a doctor?’

‘(Still laughing) No, I have not. You’d better watch yerself Billy; the doctor may order a dose of castor oil, followed by an enema . . . a big enema.’

‘What’s an enemy?’

‘Not enemy, but an enema. It’s when they pump yer arse full with soapy water to make you go to the toilet real big. . . not good.’

‘Don’ worries Mr. Ken; I’se can look after me self. Me bums used to big t’ings; I’se been practicing.’

Laughing, Gloria and Kenny left Billy to annoy the hospital staff. As they walked down the corridor, Gloria said,

‘He’s so open and uncomplicated; you just can’t help loving Billy. Also, he’s a survivor.’

‘Yep, he is that. I reckon he’ll have all the nursing staff in stitches.’

Copyright @2014 graham sealby
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..