Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Coming Out for Athletes - 2. Underage coming out

The next time I considered coming out to someone was with my curling team.

For people who haven’t been curling before, it’s a winter sport played on a long sheet of ice, where each member of the team takes turns sliding a 42 pound granite rock towards a target at the far end of the sheet. It’s more involved than that, but that’s unimportant. The only important thing to know is that there’s only four members to a curling team, so you really get to know your team and can’t hide anything from them, especially once you’ve played with them for awhile.

This story takes us back to when I was a seventeen year old high school senior. I played on both my high school team, and a separate competitive team that I spent much more time with because of the number of games and practices I had. This meant that most of my spare time away from homework and school was with these gentlemen.

One day, early in the season, my teammate Taylor and I arrived early to the rink to start throwing stones before the rest of the team showed up. Taylor was a new addition to the team; Brian, Oliver and I had been playing together in some fashion for a few years now, but we only just added Taylor to the team a few weeks ago, so I wanted to get to know him better. I still hadn’t told the rest of the team, since I felt they wouldn’t handle it well, but something about Taylor made me think he’d be okay with it.

At the time, I was a willowy weed of a person. At nearly six feet tall, I was taller than most of my peers and nearly all of the other curlers. What I had in height, I lacked in musculature and body mass, which had its advantages too. I could squeeze between things that other people wouldn’t be able to fit in, but otherwise I looked for all the world like I wasn’t fed very much or very often.

Taylor, on the other hand, was a tank. Taller than I am, my head didn’t quite reach up to his eyes, so I had to look up in order to get a read on what the blond was thinking or saying. He was built like a freight train, all muscles all the time, with a bit to spare for someone who only played curling as their sport.

To look at him, he’s probably the person I should be least interested in telling that I was gay. After all, if he wanted to I’m quite sure he could dribble me like a basketball without too much difficulty, passing over the fact that I wouldn’t be the most cooperative basketball in the world. However, I knew he was new to the team and wanted to get it out of the way, maybe if he was okay with it then I could tell everyone else, and if not… well, he was only here for a year maybe, we’d just find someone new.

We had thrown our rocks down to the other end of the sheet and were getting ready to throw back when I pulled him off to the corner of the building and said I had something to tell him. We were both in our full curling gear, so I kept a tight grip on my broom in case it was needed for any reason other than sweeping and balancing my curling slide.

I was nervous, so I stalled for time by making pointless small talk that I’m sure Taylor saw right through anyways.

“So, Taylor, how are you liking playing with us? Different from the last team you were on?” I uselessly fished, sort of hoping he’d say something nice about us so that it gave me a confidence boost, and yet also knowing that this had nothing to do with what I actually wanted to tell him.

Confidence wasn’t something that he lacked, however.

“Yeah, you guys seem pretty cool. Nice to be back on a competitive team, that’s for sure.”

I started shifting my feet awkwardly, and Taylor looked at me, wondering why we were wasting time instead of getting a few extra practice rocks in. I took a deep breath and decided to go for broke.

“I just wanted to let you know I’m gay, and I hope that’s not a big deal for you.” I quickly said, and then rushed off to settle into the hack and throw my first stone down the sheet.

As I was standing at the side of my sheet, watching my rock and eventually Taylor’s rock slide down the sheet, I felt someone slide in behind me. I knew it was Taylor, but I didn’t want to look at him right that minute, even though I knew I’d have to get past him to get my next rock ready to throw.

“It’s okay you know, doesn’t change anything. You don’t have to make a big deal out of it.” I heard him say.

I turned towards him and saw that he still had his usual goofy grin on his face, and that things actually hadn’t changed all that much. He was right. People often were looking to me for cues on how to act when I come out to them. If I make a big deal out of it, they tend to as well. I didn’t know that at the time, but Taylor taught me a valuable lesson that I continue to use whenever I have to come out to someone.

We both threw the rest of our rocks back down to the home sheet of ice and waited for the rest of the team and our coach to arrive. As we were practicing, I’d catch Taylor watching me, sort of checking up on me to make sure that I was acting normally and wasn’t letting our little conversation rattle me too much. We became much closer as teammates, and I was sad to see him leave at the end of the season.

As for my other teammates… I never did get around to telling these particular teammates, and a couple of years later we broke apart and went to pursue other things. I stayed curling and bounced around between teams, and found that coming out was getting easier as I got older.

I regret not telling that junior team in its entirety, but I’ve told other teams and everyone has normally just treated it like it’s one other aspect of who I was as a person. No matter the sport, everyone I’ve come out to has respected me as an athlete, and very little normally changes.

Copyright © 2016 Hunter Thomson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I've seen studies that indicate that males between the ages of 14 and 18 are the most homophobic. The speculation was that this is because they're at an age where they want to be perceived as macho and masculine, and anything with connotations that aren't is to be avoided. Sadly, being gay is too often strongly linked to being effeminate, hence the homophobia in that age group,

 

Interestingly, since sportsmen are often perceived as being the most homophobic in that group, they're also the ones that are often the most self-confident and hence the ones who are most able to accept someone as being gay without seeing it as a threat to their own masculinity. Taylor certainly seems to fit that model. I think it also helped that he was new. He didn't have a history with you that would conflict with his initial knowledge of you being just another sportsman.

 

Just speculation on my behalf :) Thanks for writing this. I think it's useful for people to know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/07/2016 09:58 AM, Graeme said:

I've seen studies that indicate that males between the ages of 14 and 18 are the most homophobic. The speculation was that this is because they're at an age where they want to be perceived as macho and masculine, and anything with connotations that aren't is to be avoided. Sadly, being gay is too often strongly linked to being effeminate, hence the homophobia in that age group,

 

Interestingly, since sportsmen are often perceived as being the most homophobic in that group, they're also the ones that are often the most self-confident and hence the ones who are most able to accept someone as being gay without seeing it as a threat to their own masculinity. Taylor certainly seems to fit that model. I think it also helped that he was new. He didn't have a history with you that would conflict with his initial knowledge of you being just another sportsman.

 

Just speculation on my behalf :) Thanks for writing this. I think it's useful for people to know.

Hello Graeme;

 

I've heard about studies like that, and it makes a certain amount of sense when you think about it. No one wants to be labeled as different, so everyone tries really hard to fit in and be hyper-masculine.

 

I would suggest that there's also the fact that teammates really get to know each other. You play together and have a lot that's interconnected. With the sports I played we never changed or showered together, but there was still a shared comradeship that was important to us. I think that had a lot to do with how easy it had been to come out back then.

 

Hard to say though, everyone's got their own story for why they're accepting or not. I'm glad you're enjoying reading this, I never really meant for this to be a useful guide< i just thought my baseball coming out story was worth a few chuckles haha.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..