Jump to content
    Isiah
  • Author
  • 767 Words
  • 561 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

James, Don't Falter - 3. Thursday, My Anomaly

Thursday was an aberration. The sun decided to rise for the first time in months, or maybe it was the dreary overcast sky that decided to diminish, and unlock the trapped sun behind it. Either way I could see the yellow glow up high, and feel the streaks of warmth for the first time since August. Maybe the wintry air ran off to torture another city.

I could walk without a jacket that Thursday. I called James and asked him to join me, anticipating his enthusiastic response. I know summer is his favorite season and the day was the closest thing to summer we would see for a long time, especially since spring was still distant. James declined. His voice met mine with a harsh and deliberate no. I don’t want to walk today. Not with you.

I put my phone away and continued walking down my block, mindlessly turning at the corners, and turning again until I zigzagged into another neighborhood. I couldn’t sort out his words. They were foreign just like the weather, peculiar even, spoken with such disdain. Was that even James I talked to? I honestly didn’t know.

I passed a woman in a pink jogging suit walking her suburban German Sheppard and I tried to return the benevolent smile she offered up, but the ends of my mouth barely curved; they only twitched. I couldn’t be nice right now, or happy even, when James rejected me for no reason.

I ended up in James’ neighborhood. In front of his house, standing with my hands in my pockets, confusion on my face, and a breeze on my skin that reminded me that the day was an aberration as it whispered its plans to bring winter storming back. His family’s quaint brick veneer was illuminated by the sun, except for the left half which was shaded by the sycamore that must have been decades old. I watched the house as if I could see inside, see James reading or doing chores, see James doing anything but walking with me.

For minutes I willed James to come outside or to peer outside and see me standing vulnerable in the middle of this aberration, but he didn’t. The household didn’t move, unlike me, who couldn’t stop swaying against the wind. Through the living room window I could see the brilliance from a tv but I couldn’t make out the show. I stood watching the vivid channels flick, not because I was trying to follow the shows, but because it was the only thing from the house that was moving.

After a while, I silently accepted James’ rejection and began my first steps home, hesitating on the sidewalk like a pirates’ victim hesitates while walking the plank, fighting their steps with reluctance, while the fear of perishing by hungry sea monsters consumes them. My head was down, and my eyes locked on the intricate spaces between grains of cement and crevices of earth. I felt small enough to fit inside them. Then I heard James. Not his voice, but his breath; he was quickly pacing across his porch barefoot, taking out the trash. The sun may have been out, but the pavement was still kissed by December, and was cold as ice.

I stopped mid walk, and stumbled awkwardly, fighting a fall; I kept my balance though. The beginnings of my tumble must have caught his eye, for he glanced over at me and hesitated like I did when I decided to walk away. We stared waiting for either one of us to speak. Neither one of us did, even though I pleaded with my eyes for him to say something. He took one last look and proceeded to throw the trash away. As he walked back in his house, I caught a glimpse of a figure: tall, attractive, also barefoot. Then I got my answer. I had been replaced.

The walk home escapes my memory. I only remember a painful stinging feeling of hurt, regret, and anger that all danced as one inside my body. I could have walked for days. I may have. I walked past drug stores and gas stations. I walked past bus stops where dowdy characters sat awaiting their pickup. I walked until I could see the skyline, which soared and slanted and arced. I walked until the picket fences were replaced with highway exit signs, and the vicious roar of cars repeated every few seconds as I staggered under bridges and through a complex arrangement of this peculiar metropolis. And James tormented my thoughts every step of the way.

Copyright © 2011 Isiah; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a fascinating writing style! The words "to the beat of a different drummer" come to mind. Poetry within prose - I liked it, very much. :2thumbs: The imagery was superb.

 

I'd love to read more. :D

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..