Jump to content
    JulieLHayes
  • Author
  • 821 Words
  • 1,072 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Nocturnal Emissions - 3. A Sibling's Intervention

As Regulus watches until his brother is safely out of sight, before going to the door to answer his mother's inquisitiveness, he catches sight of movement in the yard below. What the hell? He squints at the distant figure. It appears to be one of Sirius' friends. He'd know them anywhere, seen them with him often enough. Sighing softly, he decides he needs to get to the bottom of things, see what has distressed his brother so greatly, see if there’s anything he can do to rectify the situation. Assuming they’ll permit him to. He hastens to the door, reassures his mother that he was simply talking in his sleep, assuages her fears and waits until she returns to her own room, the sound of her closing door reaching his ears. Then he draws on his cloak, and exits the room the same way Sirius just had, reaching the ground silently. He approaches the other boy, peering through the darkness to see which one it is. Oh, it’s Lupin. Somehow hat doesn’ surprise Regulus.

"He just left," Regulus says softly, even as Remus whirls about, having detected his presence with his prenatural hearing.

Remus hesitates for a moment, as if unsure what to say or ask, but his concern for Sirius quickly outweighs any other consideration. "Is he all right?" he blurts out in frustration, biting at his lower lip. Regulus is an unknown quantity with him, being both Sirius' brother as well as a Slytherin. Although he tries to get along with everyone, the snakes don't make it easy, and they aren't shy at showing their distaste for him and his less than pure blood. And he’s also aware of disharmony in the Black household, aimed at his friend, but Sirius has never been forthcoming with details, and he’s always hesitated to press him in any way, or to upset him. But at the moment, he doesn't have that luxury. And he also knows the brothers are at odds with one another.

"No," Regulus says bluntly, "I don't think he is. What happened?" HIs dark eyes pierce directly into Remus' topaz orbs.

Remus feels the heat rise in his cheeks, for of course he knows exactly what has happened between them, although why Sirius is running from him is not exactly clear—but he isn't about to share such information with his sibling. He’s grateful for the cover of the night, which shields his embarrassment. "H-he's upset about something. I-I just need to talk to him..."

Regulus regards the other boy, and he senses that he only has his brother's best interests at heart. And he intuits more, in a sudden flash of insight. "You love him, don't you?" he asks with the forthrightness of youth.

Remus doesn't bother to deny the accusation, nodding mutely.

"Then go after him, and make whatever’s wrong right," Regulus insists. "Before my dumb brother gets himself into trouble..."

"He isn't dumb," Remus swiftly leaps to his friend's defense.

"I know he isn't. Not normally," Regulus explains, "but when he's upset ... He just doesn't think, that's all. It's usually how he gets into trouble, you know?"

And Remus knows exactly what the other boy means; he's seen it happen all too often before. Although he really wishes he understood why Sirius is so upset at this moment. But there’s no time to lose.

"Where did he go?" he asks tersely.

Regulus shrugs. "I'm not sure. He took a change of clothes and headed off that way..." He points up the street, in the direction in which he last saw his brother. "If he's not careful, he'll end up someplace bad. Please help him...."

Remus hears something in the voice, in the words, and he understands more than he did before. "You love him too, don't you?" Regulus nods silently.

"Thank you," Remus says, and suddenly he envelops the younger boy in a hug, before releasing him and disappearing up the street, in pursuit of Sirius. For several moments, Regulus does not move, but then he shinnies back up to his room, although he is unable to sleep, thinking of his brother, hoping that Remus finds him in time. And wondering if they will tell him if everything is all right or not. He sighs, biting his lower lip thoughtfully.

It's gonna be a long, long night.

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; 2007
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..