Jump to content
    JulieLHayes
  • Author
  • 2,530 Words
  • 1,255 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Nocturnal Emissions - 6. Prince Charming to the Rescue

Can Remus remove Sirius from the grasp of the predatory Gabriel? If he does, what then?

Sirius struggles against whatever has him held fast within its grip, and his youthfulness stands him in good stead, as he pushes his way through the sluggishness that’s his brain. He feels his lips being released, although Gabriel maintains a firm hold about his waist. Which in a way is good, as his legs feel as if they've been hit by the jelly-legs curse. His eyes turn toward the voice that has serendipitously interrupted the unwelcomed kiss, and his heart thrills to see Remus standing there, wand drawn toward the other wizard. But he is also very much confused. How... what... why? However, this doesn't seem to be the time for such questions. Priorities, after all.

"Let go of him!" Remus repeats. In his normally calm voice a warning growl can be heard, as if the wolf is about to become unleashed, and a feral yellow glow can be seen in his usually topaz eyes.

Gabriel seems amused, rather than perturbed, at the interruption, at the sudden appearance of the youth, and his own wand is now drawn and in his hand. "I'm afraid that this is none of your business, sir," he says politely enough, "this is between myself... and my boyfriend... So if you would excuse us..." And he begins to draw Sirius backward, never lowering his wand as he does so, eyes carefully trained upon Remus.

"I'm afraid you are mistaken," Remus replies evenly, taking a menacing step forward, "he isn't your boyfriend at all..."

"Oh?" Gabriel pauses and arches a tawny eyebrow at the other—eerie how closely they resemble one another. "And what makes you think that? I don't hear Orion disagreeing with me, do you?"

If Remus is taken aback by the name, he shows no sign of it. He knows, of course, that Orion is Sirius' middle name. "Because he’s my boyfriend, and I've been looking for him. So, if you would be so kind...." And he reaches out for Sirius' hand.

Sirius finds himself automatically reacting, his body attempting to move toward Remus', even if he has no idea why his friend is saying what he is. It doesn't matter. Remus is here, and Remus represents security to him, and he wants nothing more than to leave this place and be with him, forgetting everything that has happened, forgetting everything other than the fact that he loves him more than anything in the world. And he would like this nightmare to end, please.

"You're an underage wizard, little one," Gabriel smirks, "I don't think you should even try anything with me. You aren't allowed to use magic outside of school, and well I know it...."

"If I'm underage, what do you think he is?" Remus replies with great aplomb. "What do you think the law would think of what you intend to do to him?"

"That is none of your business," Gabriel flushes an angry red, drawing Sirius even closer, "he didn't have to come here, you know? He came of his own free will. What do you have to say to that?"

Remus pauses, unsure of what to respond, since he has no real idea what has led up to this. But he knows Sirius too well to believe it's what the other man thinks it is. And one glance into Sirius' obviously glazed eyes convinces him. "I don't know why he came," he admits, "but I can see that you've done something to him, something wrong. And I won't let you go through with... whatever you have in mind. Enough talk, give him back to me. Now...." His tone is quiet, but there is an underlying menace to his voice which cannot be denied.

Sirius finds his own voice for the first time since this terrible scene has begun. "Let go of me," he says, and the words sound far away, even to his own ears, as he attempts to struggle against the arm which surrounds him, but to no avail. He raises his eyes to meet those of Remus, and he feels nothing but comfort emanating from them. Comfort and reassurance.

"Don't worry, you'll change your tune, love, when I get you home," Gabriel assures him, stroking Sirius' cheek softly, which causes the boy to flinch, a gesture not lost on Remus, who begins to growl, "you'll forget all about this... little boy... when you see what a man can offer...."

Remus looks as if he’s about to pounce on Gabriel, his young muscles tensing, his glance never wavering, when Fate decides to intervene first. From the pub, another man appears, and upon spying Gabriel, he hastens toward him.

"Come Gabriel," he says without preamble, "word has just been received that the Ministry is on its way to raid the pub. We must get away from here. You remember what your father said last time you were caught here?" He notices the two boys then, and the apparent tension between the three, adding, "Never mind them, we must fly now."

The other man grimaces at his words, but releases Sirius without ceremony, pushing him in Remus' direction, who catches him handily. "Mark my words, Orion," he sneers, "we shall meet again. Come!" This last spoken peremptorily to his friend, as they immediately apparate away from this place.

Remus realizes that they don't need to be here either when the Ministry arrives, but for other reasons. He looks with concern into Sirius' dark blue eyes. "We have to leave here. Do you think you can walk if I help you?"

Sirius nods, some measure of feeling beginning to return to his extremities. He wants nothing more than to be as far as possible from this horrid place.

Remus puts a supportive arm about Sirius, and leads him back the way they’ve originally come, not daring to apparate at the moment, as he fears the arrival of the Ministry at any time. "Where should we go?" he speculates aloud, for he’s completely unfamiliar with this part of London, having been to Sirius' home only once before and that strictly by chance, otherwise he could not have found his way there this night. Which obviously would have been a bad thing. "Back to the Pettigrews?" He wonders to himself what will happen when James and Peter—not to mention Peter's parents—discover both boys' absences, although his primary concern at the moment is all for Sirius, and taking care of Sirius, all his protective instincts coming to the fore.

"No," Sirius says quickly, and Remus doesn’t argue. Right now, he’s content that they’re together, and Sirius is safe. The rest can wait.

They walk in silence until they reach the river once more, and Remus can feel Sirius' strength is failing him. He doesn’tt complain, but Remus can sense it in the way Sirius increasingly leans upon him. Remus tightens his grip about him, as he leads him off the road, toward a bench that he spies there, lowering the boy onto the seat and taking up a position beside him, not removing his arm even now.

"Siri, are you alright?" he asks, gazing into those dark blue orbs—good thing he has excellent night vision—wondering if it’s his imagination or are his eyes a bit clearer than they were before?

"Remy, I don't... I mean..." Sirius stammers, unsure of just what he means to say, all too aware of the warmth of Remus' body, his own responding without his volition. "I... I would never hurt you..."

"Of course you wouldn't, I know you wouldn't," Remus replies soothingly, his hand almost reaching out to stroke the other boy's cheek, catching himself just in time. It wouldn't do to take advantage of Sirius in this unguarded state, although obviously the older man had no such compunctions about doing so.

The two boys lapse into a momentary silence, as if each is evaluating the situation, deciding what to do.

"Sirius, why are you running from me?" Remus asks pointblank, his topaz eyes searching the other's dark blue orbs as if for answers to the question which has haunted him ever since Sirius' abrupt departure.

Sirius' eyes grow big. Surely Remus knows, he was there after all. He was the victim in all this, Sirius the aggressor. The deviant. How can he even bear to be around him? And how can he explain his own actions?

A soft rustling from behind them stills any reply he might have made, and they both glance up fearfully, afraid that they’ve been followed—either by the predatory Gabriel, or by the Ministry, neither thought exactly being a pleasant one. But no, it’s the concerned visage of Sirius' younger brother that greets them.

"Is he all right?" he asks Remus worriedly. He hasn’t been able to sleep, and has passed by this spot more than once, as he patrols the street, waiting for any sign of the two boys.

"Reg?" Sirius is simply bewildered at his brother's presence.

"He is now, I think," Remus replies, biting his lip, for he has no wish to speak of what has happened, wishes to forget what could have been far worse than it was, which brings a shudder to his slender frame.

"So, are you going back to the Pettigrews?"

"No, we can't, the Ministry is somewhere nearby and we don't dare apparate right now..."

Regulus understands. The Ministry is known to be harsh to those who violate unlicensed apparation, as well as underage magic laws. He watches his brother seem to droop against Remus, and his eyes meet those of the other, knowingly. He’s glad Sirius is safe, but he appears to be a bit the worse for wear. Perhaps they will tell him the story later.

"Come back to the house," he says impulsively, "you can't stay out here, after all, and I think you both need some sleep."

Remus shakes his head determinedly. "How can we do that? Your parents wouldn't allow me to step foot in their house. And I... I can't leave Sirius there, not like this... I know how she is toward him, and I just can't do it..." It isn't like him to be this firm with anyone, but he’s protecting Sirius, and for him, he will play the hawk.

Regulus cannot deny the veracity of that statement, for he’s too aware of the truthfulness of it himself. He furrows his brow, puzzling over what exactly they can do, before finally he says, "I'll sneak you into the house. She doesn't have to know. Her room’s at the top of the house. I can hide you in a bedroom on the second floor. She'll never notice, ‘cause she never goes in there. And I'll come and get you when they leave. I think they have some business with L ... with someone... " he hastily amends, for he knows better than to discuss the Dark Lord with others, especially those who have no reason to be allied with him. "I'll tell them that I don't feel well, so I'll stay behind." There, everything settled.

Remus is irresolute. Much as he hates the idea of being inside that house, he knows that Sirius needs to be somewhere safer than this place, and they both need to regroup. And to talk privately. Maybe, if Regulus can do as he says he can, they can bide their time for a bit, and then floo back to the Pettigrews or something? He glances at Sirius, and catches him looking at him, his eyes naked with... what? Fear? Nervousness? Or is there something there that Remus has missed before? Could it be...

"We'll do it," he says at last, realizing time is indeed of the essence, and he has no time to hash out the mystery. They could be overrun by Ministry officials at any time, after all.

"Come," Regulus says tersely, and turns back the way he’s come. Remus helps Sirius to his feet, and they follow silently after Sirius' brother. Remus wouldn't trade this moment for anything, the warmth of Sirius' body against his own—he can hear the soft susurrations of his gentle breathing, the rhythm of his beating heart. If Remus were braver, he would take Sirius' hand in his, but he dare not do that.

When they reach the dark and brooding Grimmauld once more, Regulus goes ahead of them, entering the house first, and ensuring that the coast is clear, before beckoning them inside. One finger to his lips to enjoin silence, he moves ahead of them, up the stairs, to the second floor. The house is still as a tomb, silencing charms no doubt, to ensure that the work of the house elves does not impinge upon the sleep of the inhabitants. Down the hall they move, but not toward Sirius' room —that would be taking a chance. However, there are extra bedrooms that are not in use, and he ushers them into one.

"I'll put a privacy ward on the room," he tells Remus, and the boy flushes at the implication, but does not argue with him. "I won't be back for a few hours, I'm sure. When I do, I'll knock first." Remus nods, whispers, "Thank you," warmly, in gratitude for the chance that Regulus is undoubtedly taking. The younger boy blushes, unused to such gratitude, and without another word, glides out of the door, leaving Remus and Sirius alone at last.

Remus looks about them. This room is sparsely furnished. Bed, table, chest. Nothing more. Then he glances at Sirius. Not surprisingly the animagus is watching him. All right, Remus, he says to himself, where do we go from here?

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; 2007
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..