Jump to content
    Katya Dee
  • Author
  • 620 Words
  • 2,119 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Only One Road - 21. Chapter 21

Only One Road (chapter 21)

 

Three Months Later

 

“Ah, crap…” I muttered when I saw flashing lights of a cop’s car behind me.

I obediently pulled over and shut off the engine. Dylan opened the door and got out of the car.

“Are you crazy?” I demanded, and he just gave me his trademark smile. “He’ll shoot you for all we know!”

He looked like he was trying his best not to roll his eyes.

“We are in the middle of nowhere,” he answered evenly. “The last town we passed had population of five hundred… Do you seriously believe that cop is going to do anything drastic?”

“If he shoots you, I’ll just say I told you so,” I said, and he closed the door.

I watched him in the rearview mirror. He walked slowly towards the cruiser, leaned into the opened window, and a couple of minutes later, he was walking back, his posture as relaxed as ever. I watched him with growing suspicion. He slid into the passenger’s seat, gave me a small smile, and said, “Let’s go.”

I looked in the rearview mirror again. The cruiser was just sitting there, lights flashing. I frowned and looked at Dylan.

“What did you do?” I asked quietly.

“I killed him,” he said indifferently, and I just stared at him.

Finally, he looked at me and rolled his eyes.

“You are so gullible,” he sighed. “I gave him fifty bucks. Now move it before he starts wondering why the hell you’re just sitting here.”

I blinked and glanced into the mirror again. The lights on the cruiser went off. I muttered something under my breath and turned on the car. Dylan laughed softly, lit a cigarette, and rolled down the window. I started driving, making sure that I went speed limit this time. I had no desire to get pulled over again.

“So, where we going?” he asked after several minutes of silence.

“Don’t care,” I replied. “Give me a cigarette, will you? Thanks… I’ll just drive. When you see something you like, speak up.”

“Sounds good,” he said solemnly and turned on the radio.

I just snorted when I heard Axl Rose scream, “And I’m going down, all the way down… I’m on the highway to hell!!” You’ve got that right, buddy, I thought with a small smile playing on my lips. Highway to hell, indeed. At first, I was wondering why I didn’t feel even slightly bothered by everything I’ve done. I mean, I didn’t have a single bad dream, can you believe that? Finally, I stopped questioning myself, and just shrugged the whole thing off. Who cares.

I wrapped my fingers around the gear stick and glanced at Dylan when his hand slid on top of mine.

“It will be very ironic if you get into a wreck right now,” he murmured after I just kept staring at him. “Either keep your eyes on the road or pull over.”

I grinned and shifted my gaze towards the road. Ten minutes later, I pulled over to the shoulder and turned off the car. We relocated into the back seat without even unlocking our fingers. He was pulling off my shirt, when I grabbed his chin and pulled his face up.

“Mmm...?” he asked quietly.

“Kiss me,” I muttered, and he didn’t smile this time.

I closed my eyes when his fingers sank into my hair and I felt his mouth on mine. I realized that the past, the present, and the future had exactly the same name. That name was Dylan. I also realized that the feeling of getting lost was one of the best feelings on the face of the planet.

 

FINALE

Copyright © 2011 Katya Dee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

smooth, Connor, smooth. I hope that this is really HEA. Anyways, both of them has changed for the better I think.

Katia, this story is sweet. I don't know why my screen keeps acting up and wouldn't let me thumb up, grrrrrrhhhh!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..