Jump to content
    K.C.
  • Author
  • 2,294 Words
  • 540 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2011 Novella Contest Entry

The Secrets of Pimsim Cove - 11. Chapter 11

The sunrise brought with it the excitement of a bright new day. The house was quiet, as usual, so I raced through my morning ritual.

Odd how, back home in Atlanta, I’d never leave the house without some form of make-up on or at the very least a shimmer of sparkly lip-gloss or some brown mascara to cover up my horrible blond eyelashes, but here in Ireland, there was really no use. It would just get washed off as soon as I hit the water. Maybe I would tuck a small tube of raspberry swirl into my pocket, just in case I needed to be pucker perfect…’cause a girl should never be caught unprepared.

I scrawled every detail, from yesterday’s bizarre array of events, into my journal. If each of us narrates our own story, then why the smurf can’t I be the heroine in my own life? My life story would be a dark comedy filled with irony. I really need to try to change that.

Using the entire next page to write down one word in big block letters: ‘Freedom!’ Maybe that will give me the courage I need to make it through today.

Dashing out the backdoor, I only got to the top step before Stonebrook scared the crap out me.

“Rushing off so early?” I hadn’t noticed him sitting in the rocking chair, sipping a steamy mug of coffee.

I let out a frightened YELP and whirled around to face him. His worried blue eyes pulled into a smile. “I hope you’re not heading out to mess with those poor Fairies again this early in the morning, lass.”

My mouth dropped open as I started to protest when I caught the playful glint in his eyes. “Me,” I faked innocent, “messing with them? Oh come on, Grandpa, you know that a tough American kid like me could have kicked their twiggy butts if I had really wanted too. They’re just lucky that Sean showed up when he did.” This teasing banter was easy with him.

When he put his cup down and got up and started down the steps to the dock, I thought that was the end of our witty little repartee, but he glanced over his shoulder and called out, “You coming or not, lass, ‘cause I haven’t got all day.”

I didn’t know where he was going, but I saw that his little wooden boat was still tied to the pylon at the end of the dock and hurried down the steps to join him. “Where are you going?” I asked.

He pointed out towards the water. “Your grandmother already went into the City and the boys are still out searching for that blasphemous trinket of Talbot’s, so I figured that I’d take a wee trip out to and inspect the ‘Fish Free Zones’. You coming with me?”

I scrunched up my freckled face making Stonebrook laugh. “Fish Free Zone?”

Stonebrook explained while I scrambled into his boat. “Yep, there are buoys set up far beyond the perimeter of Pimsim City, marking it as a ‘Fish Free Zone.’ Although, Talbot will never admit it, it’s one of the most ingenious ideas that we, Greenies have ever come up with. Years ago we started a rumor in the surrounding fishing towns that there was a horrible chemical contamination in these here waters. We told them that the fish were sick and dying. It helped chase off any fishermen that wanted to troll these waters ever since.”

That really was a wonderful idea! Make the water and fish toxic and scare off any nosey fishermen. He steered the little boat towards the deep open water. It was a beautiful morning with the sun reflecting off the blue water.

“But what if a tourist accidently stumbled into the Cove? What would happen then?” He shrugged his shoulders and shook his silvery head. “Nothing would happen. We would just be a little more cautious until they left, that’s all.”

Glancing down at the water gliding under the boat, I held my hands over my forehead to block the shining rays and squinted my eyes, trying to make out any signs of a huge City under the sea.

“Where is Pimsim City?”

“We’re right over top of it.” He said.

I almost fell out of the boat, when I rushed to the side and tried to peer down into the water. The first twenty feet of water was pretty clear, but it got murkier the deeper it went. If I couldn’t see any evidence of an entire City, hidden far below the ocean surface, then how could they see us up here?

The boat stirred up the water as we skimmed along the top of the ocean. Salty spray kicked up from the waves that crashed along the front. I could feel the water droplets finding my skin. As more and more moisture collected on my skin, it began to shimmer in the morning sun.

Cream color scales popped along my arms and down my chest. The colorless scales were beyond boring, so I envisioned the deep dark burgundy of Rosy’s dress and was washed with a wave of gorgeous rich color.

The rocking of the boat was hypnotizing. I concentrated on my breathing as I continued to watch the soft waves in the distance. Water was all around us. I could barely make out the land this far off shore. Water…it was the soft gentle caress of the water… it was the salty tangy taste on my lips when I licked them with my tongue.

Without thinking, I jumped up and ran to the back of Stonebrook’s little boat and dove off the stern. “Freedom!” I shouted as I soared out over the water and crashed into the ocean with a violent splash and it suddenly happened…I had a tail!

Oh, my goodness, I had fins, too! I wanted to whoop and holler, but when I gasped I felt a slight flitter on my back…yes! I hadn’t realized the boat was still moving and at such a fast pace as it put hundreds of feet between us in only a few moments.

“Grandpa!” I called out to him. “I have gills! Can you believe it? Gills…honest to goodness, gills!”

Stonebrook had already turned the little boat around and was heading back to the spot where I had leaped into the ocean. I saw the frantic look on his weathered face and was immediately sorry that I had scared him.

“Anna!” He shouted, scanning the water, but his face broke out into a huge grin when he noticed the gill across my back. “Oh, lass, look at you!” His face beamed with pride. “I knew that McLoughlin blood would show you the true Triton inside of you. Rosy is going to be so excited.”

I flicked my powerful tail and with a huge wave, jumped out of the water in a perfect backwards summersault. My giggles could probably be heard all the way back at the Cove.

***

Preparations for such a grand event were relatively easy. I mentally envisioned a prom-like atmosphere where everyone franticly rushed around, but when you think about it, there was really no need for elaborate hairdos or expensive high heels. A quick shower, check. Teeth brushed, check. Hair combed, check. Well, I guess I was ready for my first Triton Summer Solstice Festival.

My blue t-shirt and jeans looked too casual for such a fancy event, but it didn’t matter when the material was going to disappear anyways as soon as I splashed into the water.

Grinning at my reflection, “and unlike everyone else, my scales don’t have to be limited to just the color of my clothes. I can change my scales with a snap of my fingers. I can even make beautiful elaborate patterns…so take that!”

I knew it was a bit conceited, but I thought that if the rest of the Tritons could see me as someone special, that maybe I would have a better shot at fitting in than those other poor rejected kids.

Lost in my own thoughts, I hadn’t notice Rosy coming into the little bedroom. She smiled at my reflection in the mirror. Her dark dress was lovely and made her emerald green eyes even more vivid. “I wanted to give you this.” She held a pale pink hair comb in her hands. It was a delicate seashell decorated with little pearls.

“Wow! It’s so beautiful.” I gasped.

She beamed. “It was my mother’s. She gave it to me and now I’m passing it down to you.” With her help, I pulled my hair behind my ear and tucked the comb into my soft curls.

“Thank you, Grandma.” Afraid that I would cry if I said anything more, I wrapped my arms around her waist and hugged her instead. She wiped at her moist eyes and softly patted my back. “Are you ready to see Pimsim City, Anna?”

I took a deep breath to steady my nerves. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

***

If someone was watching us, they would have thought we were crazy. Stonebrook and Rosy walked along the wooden dock, hand in hand. He only wore a pair of black dress-slacks and she was in her dazzling new dress.

Their bare toes were as suntanned as the rest of their golden skin. For an older couple they were in amazing shape. Not an ounce of flab or even a wrinkle between them. God I hope I inherit their good genes. Scaly genes…hehehe…an image of Cassy decorating an old faded pair of blue jeans with sparkly scales made me laugh…scaly jeans!

I walked along behind them, to the end of the dock. Rosy glanced back at me and asked, “Do you want to go first?”

Shaking my head, no, Stonebrook took the lead and jumped into the warm afternoon water. Rosy followed right behind him. Looking up at the clear blue sky, I said a little prayer before taking that last step that would plunge me into a world unlike anything I’ve ever know. “Dear God, if you can hear me…please don’t let me do anything that would embarrass my family…or humiliate myself, thank you, Amen!”

***

The water immediately changed my legs into a blue tail. It wasn’t as long and lean as everyone else’s, but then, I am also several feet shorter than everyone else. My scales shimmered and the water plumbed my hair all around. It wasn’t until I tried to say something to Grandma that I panicked when the saltwater rushed into my lungs.

Desperately gasping for air, I thrashed around and tried to swim back to the dock. “Grandma!” I gurgled. “Wait…I can’t breathe…I’m drowning!”

I shouted at them swimming in the distance. Rosy heard my frantic cries and turned around and rushed back to my side. Clawing at the water to reach to surface, she grabbed my hands and pulled me even lower into the water. Her grip was iron tight for an old lady.

“Anna!” She commanded. “Stop struggling, Anna! Just take a nice, deep breath.” Her voice was so calm…how could she be calm when I was drowning? I was going to die! I gasped for air and this time it was a little easier.

My burning lungs didn’t feel like they were going to pop. “See,” Rosy smiled at me. “It’s okay. I guess we didn’t realize how weird it would feel for you the first time. The rest of us take the change for granted since we’ve done it since birth.”

At first it felt like my chest was going to explode, then I took another breath, followed by another. The feeling was kind of slushy, but after a few more breaths it was much easier.

Giggling at another embarrassing moment in front of my new family, I looked up at them and smiled. “Well, if I was gonna have a panic attack in the water at least you two were the only Tritons here to witness my meltdown--”

“Yeah, ‘cause that would be sooooo embarrassing for any Triton to think they were going to drown!” Rook’s deep voice tore down my back like nails scrapping down a chalkboard. I swear to god, if I turned around and Sean was right beside him, I was gonna kick the smurf out of both of them. At least the burning sensation in my lungs was gone, but it still felt odd talking underwater.

“Rook!” Stonebrook scolded him. “It’s not nice to tease little Anna.”

I whirled around to face the man who was a mirror image of my imprisoned dad. He was clean shaven; his eyes were sparking green and yes, there is a God and he still likes me, because Rook was alone.

“It’s fine Grandpa--”

“Yeah, Da, it’s fine--” Rook interrupted so I interrupted him right back.

“If Rook wants to act like an immature jerk, really, it’s okay with me!” I said with a wink and a smile. Rook continued to nod his head in agreement until the words sank in and he realized that I had just insulted him.

“Oh, behave, you moxie little American or I’ll let you make your grand entrance… alone! I promised Ma that I would escort you, but--”

Another wave of panic struck…grand entrance…alone? No way was that going to happen! I playfully slapped him on his muscular arm. “Come on Uncle Rook, you know that I was just kidding around, now, don’t you?”

An awkward silence hung in the water.

With a clever smile he suddenly said, “Alright, Anna, I guess I’ll still escort you since you asked so nicely.” His eyes lit up with his smile and they weren’t the guarded veil they usually are.

Copyright © 2011 K.C.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2011 Novella Contest Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..