Jump to content
    K.C.
  • Author
  • 1,293 Words
  • 538 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2011 Novella Contest Entry

The Secrets of Pimsim Cove - 21. Chapter 21

As the crowd of Council Members and Noblemen spilled out into the City, spreading the news of the King’s demise, loud horns blew an unfamiliar tune. People outside were buzzing with stories of the events that had just happened inside of the Palace.

Tritons were astonished that Talbot was really gone, yet they were eager to see their new King. Everyone swarmed into the City streets outside the Palace, impatiently waiting for the Succession Ceremony to begin.

***

Sean nervously paced around inside the large library that overlooked Pimsim City. Wide glass double doors were propped open, letting the soft cheers of the crowd waft in on the cool sea breeze.

Rosy sat beside Stony and occasionally dabbed at her eyes as she fought to hold back her proud tears. Michael had not let go of Rahuna’s hand since we left the Council Meeting.

“What am I supposed to do now?” Sean’s voice trembled as he asked Rook for advice. “You were supposed to be the next King, Rook, not me. I’m not ready for this.” He held his breath, but let it out with a rush when Uncle Rook laughed at him. Anger flashed through his clear gray eyes before he rolled them in frustration.

“I’m serious!” Sean growled.

“So am I,” Rook replied. “I’ve never wanted to be King. I’ve always hoped that it would be you someday… not me. The people of Pimsim only thought they wanted me to lead them because they didn’t know that they had a better choice, but I’ve always known it would be you.”

Michael and Rahuna edged closer, listening as Rook praised their son. “For the last nineteen years I’ve watched your father raise you--”

“Watched? Rook you helped me with this boy so much more than you’ll ever know.” Michael added.

Rook smiled at him. “You’ve grown into a fine young man and there’s nobody else who is better for leading our people then you!” Sean grabbed Rook and pulled him in to a tight hug and Michael and Rahuna joined in too.

Rosy stifled a soft sob. “Jacqueline would be so proud of you right now. Oh my, knowing that her grandson is going to be the next King.”

As if on a magical cue, the horns began to blast an official sounding tune right when Victor walked into the library looking very formal with his black scales and holding a long stone tablet. “It’s time.” He said.

Sean stood up and headed for the open doors that led out onto the balcony. Everyone got up to follow him, but I hesitated and hung back, near the rear of the room. He turned to me and gave me one of those gorgeous lopsided grins that always makes my heart melt.

Sean walked back and took my hand in his. “I need you by my side, Anna.” He whispered low enough that only I could hear him. He gave me a quick kiss before leading me out to see the crowd.

The crowd erupted into cheers when Sean stepped onto the high balcony. His weary gray eyes grew more confident with each whoop and holler. When I tried to scurry behind our families, Sean held my hand tight and shook his dark head, giving me a tender smile.

My heart started to race uncontrollably until Rosy stepped beside me and took my other hand and then I suddenly felt the warmth of Dad’s breath as he pressed his lips against my ear. “It’s a glorious sight isn’t it? I have always wanted you to see this place, Anna.”

I smiled and nodded my head, afraid that my voice would tremble and crack if I tried to speak. Thank goodness they were all here. Just having them so close to me, I could feel my heart beginning to settle down a little bit.

Victor took his place at the front of the stone podium. Every Triton in the City as well as everyone from the Cove was here. They all wanted to catch a glimpse of the new King.

Michael and Rahuna took their places on his left, while Rosy and Stonebrook took their spots to my right. Dad and Uncle Rook stood behind us. I felt tears welling up in my eyes when I noticed Rook’s hand lovingly placed on Sean’s shoulder.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with a sad and heavy heart that I bring unfortunate news.” Victor said and the crowd’s cheers reduced to a low roar before settling into complete silence. “King Talbot has passed away,” He paused waiting for a horrified reaction to his awful news, that didn’t come. Victor might have loved his brother, but the rest of Pimsim didn’t. They were terrified by the man and his death finally brought new hope to those people who had despised him.

“King Talbot died without a direct male descendant to ascend his throne, therefore Princess Rahuna’s son, Sean D’Gloma shall be crowned the new King as Talbot’s only living heir.” Now the crowd went crazy. They screamed, shouted, cheered and even sobbed with joy!

Victor held up the stone tablet and began to read from it. “I, King Marcus have sent my seven son’s out into the world to find their own way and to make their own destinies.” He held up a shiny piece of a broken crown. “With this piece of the Royal Crown from the Kingdom of King Marcus, may you make your own Kingdom and bring wisdom and hope to your people, that they now shall call you their King.”

He laid the tablet aside and held up a second crown. He fit the broken piece inside of the other making one complete, beautiful piece of jewel encrusted artwork. Victor turned and kneeled in front of Sean. “You are my King and I pledge my allegiance to you.”

The crowd dropped to their knees and repeated Victor’s words. “You are my King and I pledge my allegiance to you.” When my family and Sean’s parents suddenly dropped down to their knees, I let go of Sean’s hand to join them, but he grabbed me by my wrist and kept me standing by his side.

“You stand beside me, Anna.” His face was so warm and caring. “You will never bow before me.” He whispered as our families repeated their oath to him. “You are my King and I pledge my allegiance to you.”

Sean stood staring into my eyes for what felt like an eternity until Victor cleared his throat to get our attention. He held the crown high above his head while still on his knees. I glanced around and noticed that everyone was still kneeling.

“Ooopsie!” I muttered, but Sean just smiled and the crowd laughed.

He took the crown from Victor’s hands and placed it on top of his head. It sparkled in Sean’s dark black hair as the crowd erupted in cheers. He pulled me to him and wrapped his arms around me before lowering his head for a spine-tingling-toe-curling kiss.

“Is it time to tell them that you will be my new Queen?” Sean softly purred in my ear.

It was our secret and I didn’t want to share it with anyone just yet. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him, but it was still too soon to make that announcement. “Not yet.” I whispered.

“I’ll wait for you, Anna. I’ll wait a lifetime if I have to.” My heart ached at the sight of unshed tears in his beautiful gray eyes.

“A year is not a lifetime--”

“It’s forty million beats of my broken heart.” He interrupted my protest with one of his uber-sexy lopsided grins that I knew was only for me.

Copyright © 2011 K.C.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Gay Authors 2011 Novella Contest Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..