Jump to content
    KHCombe
  • Author
  • 781 Words
  • 1,594 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Suite d'Existence - 1. Prelude

“Come here, show me your drawing. What a beautiful car! Daddy’s not nearly as good as you are, love. And who’s sitting in the car? Mum and Sara in the front seats, okay. But isn’t Sara way too little to drive? Ah, mum’s driving, of course. And me and you in the back. That’s nice. And what are we doing then, when mum’s driving? We have to think of something… We can hide. For each other. Then you’ll find me first, before I find you. Nice plan. And then we’ll drink tea and hum silly songs, just like…- Oh, mum thinks it’s time to go, love. Dad will be back soon Daan, maybe you can start looking for a great hiding spot? I’ll put the kettle on, so we can make tea.”

The air outside was still warm from the countless times that the sun had peaked around a cloud that day. Though the temperature had been unusually high for the start of spring, a fresh breeze made it clear that it was nowhere near summer. Trees hadn’t grown all their leaves just yet, the last snow had just fallen some two weeks ago. Today it seemed a bit like summer though; the smells, the excitement on people’s faces, everything made it seem like it was July.
Funny, how entirely different situations could inflict similar feelings. It’s like smelling something, and associating the sense with an entirely different, but related situation. Our brains are marvelous and undecipherable blobs of goo.

So, it was an evening at the beginning of April, both too early for the heat and not in time for snow. Tristan was able to feel it, the approaching start of life in the garden he sat in. A few snowdrops still bent their heads down, here and there, but daffodils were beginning to take over most of the flowerbed. They’d bought the house, he and Mara, two years ago. Two weeks after their ridiculously high offer was accepted, she’d given birth to a beautiful boy. Within fourteen days, Tristan had became a father, he’d bought his first house ánd had managed to repair the numerous holes in the old roof. As mentioned before; the offer they had made on the semi-detached house, had been way too high.

The evening smelled of rain, grass and sunshine. A glass of lukewarm water in one hand, a badly written essay in the other, work continued even on days like this. He hadn’t applied for a job as an English teacher, but Tristan had no reason to complain. Mara was pregnant with their second child, but life had been steady otherwise. Everything had went to plan, without too many hurdles and some highlights once in a while.

He felt a hand massaging his left shoulder. A much smaller hand grabbed his hair and pulled it. If he’d turn around now, this moment would be one of those highlights. Perfect.

I love you, and I love Saar and Daan too, I really do. But I just can’t do this anymore. I just cán’t. I can’t do this, I’m so incredibly—“
“You’re able to do this. You can’t change anything about the situation, but you really can handle this. It will get better, you know. Really. Daan doesn’t know anything else than you being his dad who plays with him, teaches him stuff he wants to know. You’re not different, but your environment has changed. I can’t bear being without you and you’re capable of loving everyone. The problems will subside, really. Just be patient.”

No, it couldn’t be more perfect than that Sunday night, some two hours before the start of a new week. Daan was sleeping in his room, innocent and calm. Mara had drifted to sleep too. He was on his own, with himself: Tristan, thoughts, nose, toes, teeth. He had plenty of time to think, so that’s what he did. That’s what he’d always done; every night the same mental ritual until his thoughts had morphed into dreams.

Often it started with memories of the last few hours. A loving kiss from his wife, a bruised knee, something that’d had a physical impact. Next were the thoughts about tomorrow. These were purely practical; what to cook for dinner, what to wear, where did I leave my tie, how will I manage the ride to work without my bike collapsing, etcetera. Finally, there were the doubts. Sometimes they were easy to manage, but sometimes they made the night into a never ending hell. Tonight seemed to be a good night. Maybe the medication helped after all.

I don’t want you to come back here again. I really don’t.”

The cursive paragraphs depict some flashforwards, not necessarily from the same conversation. I hope you enjoyed reading this first bit; there's a lót more to come, though!

 

Copyright © 2014 KHCombe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Looks like an intriguing idea. I like the suggestion that you might use music - and baroque at that - to shape the story. Thanks for posting. Hope you post some more. You clearly are prepared to experiment with form and that's a good thing to me.

Link to comment

Interesting start. I'm sorta confused as to who Tristan is talking to in the italics. Is it his subconscious or a person?

 

Looking forward to more. :)

Link to comment
On 07/10/2013 12:25 PM, Lisa said:
Interesting start. I'm sorta confused as to who Tristan is talking to in the italics. Is it his subconscious or a person?

 

Looking forward to more. :)

Hi! I'm not going to unfold the entire plot just yet, but I'm willing to give a hint: the paragraphs in italic are flashforwards, so be prepared for what's to come ;-)
Link to comment
On 07/10/2013 06:00 AM, carringtonrj said:
Looks like an intriguing idea. I like the suggestion that you might use music - and baroque at that - to shape the story. Thanks for posting. Hope you post some more. You clearly are prepared to experiment with form and that's a good thing to me.
Thanks for the review! It'll be my first 'longer' story with a slowly unfolding plot, so I'm experimenting a lot. I chose the subject of music to make sure I've got at least a little bit of inspiration at all times. And I will post again, ofcourse!

Thanks again!

Link to comment
On 07/10/2013 04:59 PM, Menace said:
Love it! I want MORE!!
Thanks! Just posted the second (short) chapter. So 'more' is what you'll get ;-)
Link to comment
On 07/21/2013 03:40 AM, CassieQ said:
Intriguing start, looking forward to learning some more about these people :)
I'm a bit scared this is only the 'start', as this is the longest story I've written on...ever. To think everything has just started at chapter 6 is a bit frightening, but I'll just keep on writing, and you'll get to know everyone better :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..