Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 9,438 Words
  • 1,894 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Halloween Surprise - 1. My Halloween Surprise

My Halloween Surprise

 

 

By Krista

 

 

 

I had no idea that this Halloween would actually change things for me. Halloween is the one holiday of the year where people can be whatever they want to be, but I become the person who tries to hide from everyone else.

 

My friend Lissa had been speaking of Halloween ever since the beginning of the month. We were going to go as a group and were supposed to choose a theme. That was just one conversation we had late at night when I was supposed to be studying; I didn’t know she was going to take things seriously.

 

“Wake up, James,” Lissa whispered, bringing me out of my daze. We were sitting in the lunchroom and I hated hearing our counselor talk. He had this monotonous voice and he repeated himself too much. He wasn’t exactly helpful at all.

 

“What is the old idiot rambling on about today?” I asked, turning to look at her. We had been called to an assembly in the lunchroom this morning. This is our senior year of school and so far, I was enjoying it. There is one person who is trying to change that though. When I saw him turn around with a straw in his mouth, I knew that I was about to be made the target of a spitball.

 

“Don’t even think about it, Carson,” I hissed leaning forward. He blew on the straw and then I was hit with a spit soaked piece of paper. It landed on the corner of my mouth and I wiped it away. Ever since he moved here, he had used me as his form of entertainment.

 

“I missed, can I do it again?” Carson asked as he popped another piece of paper into his mouth.

 

“No,” I answered, “You would think a person would get tired of doing shit like that after age nine.”

 

“Well, not when you’re going to be a little bitch about it,” Carson countered, smiling at me. I just couldn’t understand it; Carson was the hottest guy in school, which made him really popular. Most of the girls our age would have fallen for his warm brown eyes. Instead, they all thought he was an asshole, because of how mean he was to them and everyone else in school. Carson didn’t really know how to be a good boyfriend. He wasn’t good at doing anything other than making other people’s lives a living hell. I didn’t know why people revered him as much as they did either.

 

“Carson, pick out another target so I can listen to what the old man is rambling on about,” Lissa ordered, waving her hand.

 

“I’m not going to,” Carson challenged, then put the straw to his lips and blew again. This time it hit me on the forehead, and again I wiped it away.

 

“You know, one of these days someone is going to kick your sorry ass,” I huffed, and he started laughing.

 

“All in good fun, bud,” he responded, then turned around.

 

“Now, on to the closing announcement,” Counselor Hicks fumbled in his shaky voice. He was squinting and his hand was shaking as he tried to focus. “The Halloween contest will be Monday morning during first period. For those participating in the contest, you need to sign your names before you leave this morning.”

 

“Well, that’s what I’ve been waiting to hear,” Lissa said, and I looked at her. We were dismissed then, and I stood. Carson hit my shoulder when he walked by me and I watched him leave the lunchroom. I was going to make him pay for all of the bad shit he did to me one of these days. When I turned back around to look for Lissa, I found that she wasn’t at the table anymore.

 

“Where did Lissa go?” I asked the group of friends that we were sitting with.

 

“She’s up there signing up for the contest,” Erika answered pointing.

 

“Oh, ok, see you guys at lunch,” I said, and then I left them in the lunchroom. I had the friends I wanted, but not the life. I was scared of losing the people whom I depended on so much. I hadn’t really been that outgoing, but I wasn’t completely shy either. I was lucky to have Lissa though. When Middle school first started, I knew I didn’t have that many close friends. Lissa was actually friends with Carson back then. They had even dated a little. Then when they broke up, she left his group of friends. It happened in front of everyone, and I was sitting with Patrick and Ben who I had went to grade school with, but didn’t really connect to. It was better than sitting alone. She surprised everyone in the school when she sat down beside me. Normally I would have ignored her, but when she started crying I couldn’t. We started talking and we’ve been together ever since. She taught me that it was ok to be open to other people, and after that, I found out that Patrick and Ben had a lot in common with me. Now I consider them three of my very best friends.

 

Then last year Patrick started dating Erika another one of Carson’s cast-off girls. When the school year started, Ben started dating Jenna and then Lissa’s family took in a foreign exchange student from Spain named Gabrielle. That’s everyone in my group.

 

“There you are,” Lissa said, entering the class we had together.

 

“Well you know I am supposed to be here,” I responded, laughing slightly.

 

“Shut up,” Lissa ordered, slapping my arm playfully.

 

“Hi, bitches,” Carson greeted, and he sat himself down beside Lissa.

 

“Go away, Carson.” Lissa ordered, rolling her eyes.

 

“No,” Carson said, dismissing her completely. “James, what are you going as for Halloween?”

 

“Nothing,” I answered, not understanding why he’d want to know.

 

“Well you’d make a great fag,” Carson joked, “Just a thought.”

 

“Fuck you, Carson,” I snapped, shaking my head.

 

“Well look at you, you’re already getting into character,” Carson prodded, then the bell rang and he got up and walked over to where he normally sat. He must have been in a good mood today, I thought. He’s always been good at pissing me off when he was. I wasn’t his only target though and that only made me feel slightly better. If I was, I don’t think I could make it through the day without beating the living fuck right out of him.

 

“When that guy gets a life we’ll all live happier,” Lissa soothed, rubbing my arm.

 

“Is it obvious, Liss?” I asked, leaning closer to her. Being seniors, we took shitty classes just to pass our time before graduation. The one we were currently in was about Theatre and all we had done so far was watch tapes of plays.

 

“It’s not, James,” Lissa answered, and I turned to look at Carson. He was resting his head on his arms and he had his head turned away from me. “It’s just that word is a popular insult to use for people.”

 

“Are you sure?” I asked, feeling nervous. One thing I definitely didn’t want was people finding out that I was gay. I had planned to be closeted until college. In my application, I snuck behind my parent’s back and requested a gay dorm mate so that I wouldn’t have to hide anymore. Maybe then, I would actually grow some balls and tell everyone. Not right now though. Right now, I was for the most part, happy. “No,” Lissa answered, stronger this time. “When are you going to stop asking?”

 

“The day I call you and tell you about my…” I trailed off catching myself. I at least had told Lissa about me. I thought that was enough excitement for my high school life. It was after prom last year. We were dating and when she wanted to move the fun into the back seat of my car, I had to put a stop to it. I thought she’d be pissed when she found out. I was already accepting the fact that I would be losing my best friend that night. When she stopped unzipping my pants to look up at me, she smiled weakly then she started laughing. A memory that I hoped I held onto forever. I liked her even more when I knew that she wasn’t going to push me to tell everyone else. She understood why I needed to wait until I was ready to let people know that part of me.

 

“I saw Carson signing up for the Halloween contest,” Lissa revealed, changing the subject after we got quiet.

 

“Really?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

 

“Yeah and I’m actually interested in seeing what he comes up with,” Lissa answered, frowning. “He’s going to win.”

 

“How do you know that?” I asked, slightly amused by Lissa’s sudden jealousy.

 

“Well he could show up wearing a Winnie the Pooh costume and still win.” Lissa replied, rolling her eyes when I started laughing. “It’s just him, he wins everything.”

 

“Then you need to start planning your costume, you’ve only got six days until Monday.” I said, and she looked thoughtful.

 

“Three days,” she corrected, and then smiled.

 

“Not another Halloween party,” I groaned, sitting back in my seat.

 

“Come on, we’ll have fun.” Lissa countered, and then the bell rang surprising us. The next class I had is advanced gym. Lissa had that class with me, but all we did was go in there and lift weights the entire time. She had to go to the women’s weight room for her workout. This class was the one that I didn’t have anyone to talk to. I was also thankful that Carson didn’t have this class with me either. There wouldn’t be enough room in here for the both of us. I hated this class really. It was the second class of the day and I had to take a shower to keep from smelling like sweat for the rest of it. It wasn’t something that I was used to doing. Seeing other guys in a steamy shower room wasn’t anything I could enjoy too much either. When that class ended, and I smelled clean again, I walked to my locker and retrieved my books for the last three classes. When I bent down to put some of them into my bag, my locker closed.

 

“Hey there, friend,” Carson greeted, leaning casually against the locker beside mine. There was some freshman waiting impatiently across the hall.

 

“Someone needs their locker,” I stated, casually then started turning the dial on my combination lock.

 

“Do you think Gabrielle would say yes if I asked her out?” Carson asked, and I looked over at him to see whether or not he was serious. He sounded a little nervous and for some reason I thought about feeling sorry for him. He hadn’t been able to convince a girl to go out with him for a little while. Not after what he did to his latest girlfriend, Melissa. I definitely wasn’t going to let Gabrielle date him.

 

“She’d say hell no,” I answered, and he smiled. “She may even say it in Spanish.”

 

“Hey I’d like that,” Carson countered, “Spanish chicks are hot.”

 

“Leave her alone, Carson,” I ordered, opening my locker and grabbing the rest of my books. When I bent down I knew he was going to shut it again as it was now in his face. I wasn’t let down.

 

“What are you going to do about it?” Carson asked, looking me over.

 

“I’ll think of something,” I answered, watching him look me over. It was unnerving for him to be doing that. When our eyes locked shortly after that, he looked surprised by it. The bell rang and I didn’t move until he blinked then left the hall. The little freshman was going to be late for class and I felt sorry for him until I remembered that life was supposed to be hell for freshmen, it was high school law.

 

My third class Lissa didn’t have with me either. Patrick and Ben were in there though. We were taking an art class and the current project was to match, in clay, the sculpture in the center of the room: a man sitting on a sphere and looking thoughtful. I wasn’t that good at things like this, but Patrick was; his project looked the most similar to the model. We knew that the original was chiseled from rock, but that was left to the advanced art students.

 

“What do you think Lissa has planned?” Ben asked, after smashing his sculpture for the third time.

 

“No idea,” I answered, looking mine over again. Then I compared it to the one in the center of the room. It was close enough to suit me so I scooted it away from me and wiped off my hands.

 

“You’re not finished are you?” Patrick asked, and then I looked over at it again.

 

“Why?” I asked, and he smiled at me.

 

“No reason,” he answered, as he started on the man after first doing the sphere.

 

“Well what do you guys want to go as this year?” Ben asked, and I turned to look at him. He wasn’t even attempting to copy the sculpture anymore. Now he was just making what looked like breasts.

 

“I thought we were skipping the costume shit,” I responded. I thought costumes and Halloween was something that I was too old for. I had plans of sitting around and watching all the horror movies that came on this weekend. I also was being made to hand out candy if I didn’t have anything else planned. All that was still easier than putting on a costume and going out with Lissa.

         

“I don’t think we should skip it,” Patrick countered, “Ben are those tits?”

 

“No they’re bowls,” Ben answered, blushing slightly.

 

“Bowls aren’t shaped like that Benny,” Patrick countered, laughing slightly.

 

“Ok then, they’re candy dishes,” Ben argued, turning them over. They looked like a clay version of those rubber breasts that girls stuffed their bras with.

 

“So what do you think we should go as?” I asked, wondering if Patrick had something planned.

 

“I was thinking Ben could be that guy from Chainsaw Massacre, and then you and me could be Alien and Predator.” Patrick answered at me.

 

“Why do I have to be the maniac?” Ben asked, crossing his arms.

 

“Well you’re the shortest,” Patrick explained, “And I would have thought you’d enjoy scaring the hell out of the girls before the Halloween party.”

 

“How would that be scary?” Ben asked, still not liking the costume idea.

 

“Well he did rev up and swing a chainsaw around,” Patrick answered, shrugging. “I thought you’d enjoy that.”

 

“Hell yeah,” Ben chirped, smiling now, “I can do that.”

 

“Well let’s not saw off anyone’s body parts during that,” I joked, but not liking the idea of Ben playing with a chainsaw. He wasn’t exactly the steadiest person.

 

“Yeah Ben don’t over do it, remember when you shot me in the leg during Archery?” Patrick asked, and Ben frowned.

         

“I thought we agreed not to bring that up anymore,” Ben countered, shaking his head.

 

“Well you were the one acting like Robin Hood,” I offered, and then Ben hit me in the back of the head. After that class was over, it was time for lunch. Lunch was the best time for everyone. We finally got the school board to allow us to leave campus for lunch as long as people weren’t tardy to fourth period. Only people with a 3.0 or better GPA got to go out for lunch.

 

“We’re eating at Joe’s today right?” Patrick asked, before we left Art.

 

“Yeah,” I answered, and then we all split up. Then when I got out to my car, I smiled seeing Lissa and Gabrielle standing there waiting for me.

 

“Hey James,” Gabrielle greeted, in her strong accent.

 

“Hey Gabby,” I greeted, and she always kissed people on the cheek when she greeted them. It was amusing to watch when people aren’t really expecting it. We all got into the car and when we got there, we found that everyone else was already there. It wasn’t that far from the school since we didn’t have that much time to stay out and eat. The fact that we could make it to the restaurant was worth it though. We all got in line. Joe’s had a pretty broad menu and that made it a lot easier to decide where to go. Then we sat in two booths right beside one another after we all got our food.

 

“So you guys having a good day at school?” Gabby asked, after everyone was settled. It was something she liked to ask people.

 

“Yeah Gabs,” Ben answered, and then he took a bite out of his burger.

 

“I’m not,” she countered, “Carson has been bothering me.”

 

“I told him to leave you alone Gabby,” I sighed, shaking my head.

 

“Slap the hell out of him,” Jenna said, “It’ll do him some good.” Jenna and Ben had just started going out recently. Ben had a way with girls. I think it’s his goofy personality. He wasn’t bad to look at either though.

 

“Carson will move on in a week or two Gabby,” Erika offered, and Gabby looked relieved. We had already filled Gabby in on everything bad about Carson. He really had no chance with her and that comforted me. I don’t think I could stand him hanging around with Gabby.

 

“Well, look who just walked in,” Patrick whispered, and we all looked at the entrance to see him standing there looking at us. Then he walked up to the counter and ordered his food. Then when he got his tray, he walked over to our booths and I thought he’d say something, but he didn’t. Everyone had to follow him, and when he sat down with his back to us a few booths away we all turned back around.

 

“That was almost weird,” Lissa whispered, leaning in across the table.

 

“Has anyone said anything to him?” Erika asked, curiously. “I want to know what you said so we can say it everyday.”

 

“The only thing I told him was to stay away from Gabby,” I responded, shrugging. “That wouldn’t stop him though.

 

“Maybe he got into trouble,” Lissa offered, that was wishful thinking though.

 

“Not when the school worships him,” Patrick replied, and then it got quiet with everyone focusing on eating. Time was running out, but everyone’s curiosity was peaked. Carson wasn’t even with his friends. He had two friends that he hung around. They didn’t bother us it was just him. They weren’t that close I thought. How could they be? He put down everybody. It was just me and now Gabby that he spent most of his time on. If Carson was cracking then I definitely would be enjoying my senior year a lot more.

 

“Well guys, Gabby and I have a surprise in the making,” Lissa announced, not whispering.

 

“Tell us,” Jenna ordered, her attention being snapped away from Ben. Ben was making faces and she was feeding him her extra cheese fries.

 

“We’re not telling,” Gabby said, crossing her arms. “That’s what makes a surprise, a surprise.”

 

“Well, when can we expect this surprise?” I asked, and Gabby and Lissa looked at one another.

 

“Saturday morning?” Gabby asked, and when Lissa nodded she turned to everyone else. “Saturday morning.”

 

“That’s a pretty weird time for a surprise,” Ben countered, sounding impatient.

 

“Well that’s when it is so live with it,” Lissa responded, and then we all slid out of our booths and walked to the trashcans to empty our trays to leave. We were going to be pushing time. When we got there, Lissa and I said goodbye to Gabby who had the class right next to ours then we entered right as the bell rang. Carson was late.

 

“What the hell is wrong with him?” I asked, and Lissa looked surprised.

 

“Wrong with who?” Lissa asked, looking around the room.

 

“Carson,” I answered.

 

“Who cares?” She asked studying me slightly.

 

“Well if we lose out on eating lunch away from school because of him I’ll…” I started ranting.

 

“James,” Lissa interrupted; she patted me on the hand. “Just stop worrying about Carson Harrison.”

         

“I’m not,” I countered, and she smiled at me. “I’m just tired of him really.”

 

“Ok,” Lissa offered, and then Miss. Scott started class. It was animal science class. She was showing us slides of body parts of various animals. It wasn’t something that interested me at all. All this class was though, was slides then tests over them so they knew we had to pay attention. I was worried about it though. I just needed to keep my grades above the required grade point average so that I wouldn’t be spending lunch alone. This class always moved by slowly. I don’t see how looking at slides would be teaching, but she gets away with it from year to year. This wasn’t exactly a popular class to take either. It was mostly just offered to people who needed to fill some spots. Seniors needed a lot of spots filled. I much rather would like to be playing Tennis as a class. I was going to get a scholarship for that sport. When the class did end though, we were off to our last class of the day. Lissa and I had cooking with Carson too.

 

“Carson never came to class,” I pointed out, and Lissa looked at me.

 

“He didn’t?” Lissa asked, and we both looked at one another.

 

“No he didn’t,” I answered, “Weren’t you even paying attention?”

 

“No I was thinking about things.” Lissa replied, and then I held the door open for her to enter our last class of the day. We sat at our usual station. We were going to be attempting to make a three-tiered wedding cake today. It wasn’t something that I was looking forward to though. Carson showed up for this class only adding to our bewilderment. He was someone that everyone tried to read, but no one could. He was smiling and acting like his old self again though. He proved that more so when he started walking to where we were sitting.

 

“Hey fag and fag hag,” Carson greeted, taking a stool from the station next to ours and pulling it up to sit.

 

“Carson,” I groaned, and then just looked at him. “Why today?”

 

“Today what?” Carson asked, trying to be innocent.

 

“Why are you shitting with me today?” I asked, sitting down at my stool. Lissa was sitting between us thankfully.

 

“Well there’s no real reason,” Carson answered, vaguely.

 

“Carson, get back to your station,” Mrs. Sivinski ordered, pointing to Carson’s usual spot. He would be working alone today. His partner wasn’t there.

 

“See you later,” Carson whispered, and then winked. He placed his stool back and walked to his station. I didn’t like knowing that he wasn’t finished with me yet. Lissa read the instructions to me on the paper that was already at our desk. Then after we got through all the ingredients, Lissa gathered them while I got all of the baking pans and spoons that we’ll need. This wasn’t going to be easy. I then mixed the eggs into a bowl and Lissa measured what we needed. Then she started adding things while I kept mixing the ingredients.

 

“So are you going to tell me your surprise?” I asked, casually.

 

“Nope,” she responded, with out a thought.

 

“When have you ever kept anything from me?” I asked, pouting my lower lip when she looked at me.

 

“You’re too cute,” she responded, leaning in closer. “But I’m not telling.”

 

“Damn,” I sighed, “Why not?”

 

“I don’t have a reason,” Lissa answered. Then we had everything into the mix I let her take over since my arms were tired. We couldn’t use electric mixers since it’d disturb other classes.

 

“You should if you’re going to keep something from me,” I countered, and she laughed at me.

 

“Alright I have reasons, but I’m not telling,” Lissa replied, wining slightly.

 

“You better be glad I like surprises,” I hissed, playfully. Then we poured our mix into the three baking pans that we’d need for the tiers.

 

“Class will be over in a few minutes, so just put your mixes into the ovens after you clean off your stations,” Mrs. Sivinski instructed. She had been walking around the room. I looked over at Carson and he was still adding stuff to his mix. I didn’t feel a bit sorry for him either. I cleaned up the station while Lissa was setting the timer on the oven and placing the pans in them. When the bell rang, Carson looked completely pissed. I was relieved. He couldn’t do what he had planned if he didn’t have time to meet up with me.

 

“Mrs. Sivinski, could you please put my mix in the oven and clean up I have a very important doctor’s appointment that I can’t be late for,” Carson begged, and I watched as she smiled then pat him on the shoulder.

 

“Sure dear I will,” Mrs. Sivinski responded, and I walked out of the room with him smiling at me. I tried to walk faster and lose him, but when an arm slammed over my shoulders, I knew I was in for what was coming to me.

 

“Not fucking today Carson,” I groaned, “I don’t have time.”

 

“What?” Carson asked, trying to be innocent again.

 

“You can’t do whatever you have planned,” I sighed, “Not today I have to work.”

 

“Oh well that’s too bad,” Carson responded, and I glanced at him.

 

“So you’re letting me go?” I asked, skeptical. It would be a first.

 

“It’s already been done James,” He whispered, and then we exited the school. He didn’t leave me to go to his own car. When I got to mine my heart sank.

 

“What the fuck!” I screeched, shrugging his arm off my shoulder. He had jacked up my car and had let the air out of tires.

 

“Look at that,” he sighed, shaking his head. “Who in the world could do that to another person?”

 

“Fuck off Carson,” I hissed, glaring at him.

 

“You could always blow the air back in,” Carson joked, and I looked down at my car.

 

“Carson, get the fuck out of here before I do something to you that I’ll regret later,” I ordered, through clenched teeth. “I fucking hate you.”

 

“That’s too bad,” Carson responded, “See you later.” I fished my keys out of my pocket then and when I popped open the trunk I sighed. I didn’t have an air pump. I then set down my bag and dialed into work.

 

“Ray, I won’t be able to make it on time to work today,” I said, it was the second time I’d be missing work this week or was coming in late.

 

“I’m sorry, but I can’t have this,” Raymond responded, “You’re fired James.”

 

“Fired,” I groaned, Raymond hung up on me then and I looked down at my car again. People were laughing when they walked by and that only made me more pissed.

 

“What happened?” Patrick asked, he was riding with Erika and she stopped her car right behind mine.

 

“Do you have an air pump Erika?” I asked, not wanting to explain. What he saw was pretty much what was happening.

 

“No I don’t,” Erika answered, “Jenna does though.”

 

“Thanks,” I offered, then flipped through the numbers I had on my cell phone. When I found hers, I dialed it. “Jen I need to borrow your tire pump.”

 

“Why?” she asked, and I saw her on the highway already leaving the school.

 

“Because, Carson took all the air out of my tires,” I answered, and then I saw Jenna pull into the nearest driveway. Then she turned around and came back.

 

“Where are you parked?” she asked, and I looked for the section letter.

 

“Section F,” I answered, and then when she got here she handed me the air pump then I was left alone to air all the tires up myself. Everyone else has jobs to go to, except for Lissa and Gabby. So they couldn’t stay and help me. I knew what I was doing though. When that was completely over, I sighed. I was hot and sweaty now and it was late. I had lost my job and it was all because Carson was bored. The rest of the day and into the night I didn’t calm down. He had ruined a part of my life. It was a small part, but that didn’t make it any easier to get over. I hadn't wasted much time thinking about him after that happened. I had convinced myself that Carson was some maniac that needed therapy, but I also knew that he was just being a typical bully. He was a completely bored rich boy, with no future and nothing better to do, but to make my life hell. I was his main target. Ben and Patrick were completely left alone. He only bothered the girls when he was being perverted. I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I was popular enough. People generally liked me. I wasn’t the weak person that normally got picked on by people. I was just picked on by him.

 

The next day I was still just as pissed as I was when I went to bed. I told myself that if Carson even looked at me funny, today would be the day I kicked the shit out of him. That didn’t happen though. He left me completely alone even to the point of avoiding me. Maybe I had scared him, but I threatened to kick his ass all the time and that only seemed to make it worse. All that my friends wanted to talk about that morning was how he had out done himself and we needed to teach him a lesson. It was at lunch when I felt calm again.

 

“Well let’s not think about Carson anymore,” Erika said, as soon as we were all sitting down. We decided to go to Pizza Hut, and we just got what we wanted from the buffet to save time.

 

“Yeah,” I agreed, as I started eating my pizza. It was also Friday and I liked when the weeks ended. It gave me a chance, to get completely over whatever happened to me during that week of school.

 

“So girls,” Patrick said, turning to look at Gabby and Lissa.

 

“What?” Lissa asked, and then she wiped her face with a napkin.

 

Patrick asked, and we all looked at her.

 

“We can tell them half of it right?” Lissa asked, turning to Gabby.

 

“Si,” Gabby answered, and I liked when she talked in Spanish. No one knew much and she knew that too, but I liked that she kept part of her heritage with her instead of changing completely to fit us.

 

“Well, we’ve decided to go as a group for Halloween,” Lissa answered.

 

“Don’t you mean a pair?” I asked, not understanding at all.

 

“No James,” Gabby responded, “We’re going as a group.”

 

“So we’re drafted?” Ben asked, through a mouth full of food.

 

“Yes you are,” Lissa answered, and I sighed.

 

“Count me out,” I countered, shaking my head. “I said I wasn’t really doing anything for Halloween.”

 

“Come on!” Lissa groaned, “Gabby and I need everyone’s participation.”

 

“Why?” I asked, crossing my arms.

 

“To win the competition,” Lissa mumbled quickly, then got up to go back to the buffet. She left Gabby alone and Gabby looked nervous.

 

“Be back in a sec guys,” she muttered, scooting out of the booth as well. This wasn’t going to be good at all.

 

“What do those two have planned?” Patrick asked, in a low voice.

 

“It can’t be good,” Ben answered, and everyone got quiet when they both returned. We then all filed out and walked down the buffet getting what else we wanted. When we returned we sat back down in the booth just like we were before. Except this time instead of Gabby and Lissa being on the outside of my row Erika and I trapped them in the booth.

         

“So girls,” Erika said, to get their attention, “How long have you two been planning this thing?”

 

“Oh we’ve been planning this for awhile,” Lissa answered, looked excited.

 

“So what are we going as then?” Erika interrogated, while everyone else listened in.

 

“That’s the part of the surprise we can’t tell,” Gabby answered, and everyone seemed to sigh all at once. Those two weren’t going to crack yet.

 

“You guys only have one more day until you know so just relax,” Lissa stated, offering us all a tight smile. This was the first thing that Lissa kept from me. She could tell me later, but it didn’t look like she was. She was going to be strong this one time and the way they both were acting had me on edge. Putting their minds together was probably something that meant hell for everyone else. They both had pretty creative minds and that didn’t give me any comfort in knowing either.

 

“Well it just so happens that we already have plans right boys?” Ben asked, after everyone fell silent.

 

“Yeah,” Patrick answered, smugly “That’s a surprise too.”

 

“What?” Lissa asked, frowning. “ You can’t have your own plans.”

 

“We do though,” I countered, thinking that they would tell us.

 

“Liss, it’s a trick,” Gabby whispered, leaning in closer to Lissa.

 

“Oh, right,” Lissa stated, smiling at us. “Sorry guys not going to work.”

 

“No we’re serious,” Ben, countered, “I’m going to be that…”

 

“No,” Patrick interrupted, “Ours is a secret too.” That made Lissa mad, but she tried to hide it.

 

“Well guys at least consider being part of our group please?” Gabby asked, and she pouted. I looked over at Patrick and Ben thinking that they were going to be stubborn. They were pretty into their idea for Halloween and I like their idea. We were going as horror movie characters. It was what Halloween really should be about. Not some who can be the biggest slut competition.

 

“Fine,” Ben caved, “We’ll consider it.”

 

“It better not be bad though,” Patrick added, and then everyone turned to look at me.

 

“I guess,” I sighed; I was never good with having to disappoint people. Maybe Lissa and Gabby came up with a good idea. I would like seeing us get something that Carson wanted. He signed up for that competition to win it. If we could put a stop to that, then that would be something that I’d most definitely want to be part of.

 

When Saturday finally came, Carson was on the back of my mind. He had continued to leave me alone and I still hated him. I had a new thing on my mind. Today was going to be the day where we knew what Gabby and Lissa had thought up for Halloween for everyone. I showered and put on some shorts a t-shirt then my flip-flops and walked out to my car. I looked at it before I got in and left the house for Lissa’s. I didn’t call to make sure she was there and it was early still. When I got there, I found that everyone else had already arrived. Then I saw Lissa and Gabby leaving the house.

 

“Where are you two going?” I asked, after I parked the car and got out of it.

 

“We’re going to go pick up the costumes,” Lissa answered, and Gabby got into the passenger seat.

 

“Can I come?” I asked, and she looked thoughtful for a second.

 

“No,” she answered, and I sighed. She got in her car then, and I walked into the house to join everyone else. They took turns greeting me and I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a chair. There weren’t any more seats left.

 

“Have they told any of you yet?” I asked curiously.

 

“No,” Patrick answered, then he turned to Erika and they started whispering things to one another again and were laughing. When I looked over at Ben and Jenna, they were talking too. I was glad to have the friends that I did, but I felt left out when they were all paired up and interested in one another. Lissa and Gabby always tried to keep me entertained though. That’s what friends were really for I thought. There was plenty of time for Erika, Patrick, Ben, and Jenna to get into each other’s pants. I hated being ignored. When Gabby and Lissa got back, everyone started getting excited again though. When they walked into the room carrying a box each I smiled.

 

“Boys go get the other two boxes,” Lissa ordered, after setting her box down.

 

“Yes ma’am,” Ben responded, and they both walked out. I was about to, but Gabby stopped me.

 

“There’s only two more,” Gabby said, and I stopped and sat back down in my chair. Erika and Jenna had moved to the floor and when Lissa started peeling the tape off then Ben and Patrick returned with the other two. Gabby then scooted the boxes away from them when they sat them down. After all the boxes were open, I noticed that Lissa and Gabby were both extremely nervous.

 

“Now, what we decided to be is fairies,” Lissa muttered, nervously. Gabby then opened the boxes and revealed one each. One was a corseted one piece with a ruffled skirt. They were brightly colored the one she was holding up was maroon and neon orange. The wings were just blue shimmering fabric that moved with the breeze. Then I looked to see what Gabby was holding up. She had just a pair of leather shorts.

 

“Hell fucking no,” Patrick countered, being the first person to speak.

 

“Oh they’re so gorgeous,” Erika gushed, as she was handed her costume. and then Lissa gave Jenna hers. They were all different colors. Jenna’s was blue and neon yellow. Erika’s was black and neon pink. The boys all matched in shorts. Then Gabby held up hers. She had a full out dress with a corseted top and it was a blue with neon green ruffles. She also had the longest wings.

 

“Come on guys,” Lissa countered, rolling her eyes. “It’s for Halloween.”

 

“No,” Ben huffed, “We’re not doing it.”

 

“Agreed,” Patrick added.

 

“Well then fine don’t,” Lissa snapped, looking disappointed. The girls then tried on their costumes and Patrick and Ben liked them. They defiantly were slutty. Later everyone had to leave.

 

“Now girls, try to be here so that we can do our hair and stuff,” Gabby instructed, then the four left.

 

“You’ll do it right?” Lissa asked, as I was about to leave.

 

“No,” I countered, “I most definitely will not be wearing those things.”

 

“Please,” Lissa begged, “Don’t be like them, be you.”

 

“Lissa,” I hissed, looking at her, “You know what people will think if I did?”

 

“That you look hot and it’s Halloween,” Lissa answered, and I laughed.

 

“No, they’ll think I’m queer,” I countered, crossing my arms. “No.”

 

“Come on James,” Gabby insisted, “What if they do, let them, just have some fun.”

 

“Sorry Gabby,” I sighed, and they both looked at me. “Don’t look at me like that.”

 

“We’ll just be the fairy sluts with out you,” Lissa countered weakly; “You’d make us a complete group.”

 

“What, sluts and fags?” I asked, feeling myself giving in.

 

“No, and you won’t have to wear those shorts at school, you’ll have pants then,” Lissa answered, and I looked down at the shorts in the box again.

 

“Fine I’ll do it,” I sighed, I stayed around and hung out with them after that. Then when Erika and Jenna returned to get ready, we all grabbed our costumes and went into different rooms. I was the first one out and I looked at myself in the mirror. I would look hot if I was going somewhere other than a party. The girls took turns tying one another’s corsets and I was amazed at what pain they could take just for Halloween. They then did their make-up to match the costumes and then Lissa used some strong, sticky gel to fix my wings. As soon as we got finished, the doorbell rang and Gabby walked to it.

 

“Oh fucking hell!” she gasped, slamming the door. She backed away from the door holding her hand to her chest.

 

“What?” I asked, as we all gathered around her. “Who was at the door?”

 

“I don’t know, they just scared me shitless,” Gabby breathed, fanning her face. I then walked to the door and opened it.

 

“Patrick, Ben you look great,” I said, and they stopped laughing to look at me.

 

“And you look stupid,” Patrick responded, looking down at my shorts.

 

“I’m not doing this,” I groaned, all of my fears returning. I was going to out myself with this. They may not really think that I was gay, but it’d definitely give them ammo.

 

“No come on James,” Lissa soothed, “You look hot.”

 

“Hot?” I asked, looking myself over. “Lissa, can I talk to you?”

 

“Sure,” she answered, and then we walked into the bathroom and closed the door.

 

“I will out myself if I do this,” I whispered, feeling sick to my stomach.

 

“Honey you are hot, people may think it’s gay,” Lissa said, “I won’t lie to you they will, but only you can out yourself, they’ll just think you are.”

 

“And that’s still bad,” I pointed out, shaking my head.

 

“Look James, if you do this then you’re braver than anyone I know,” Lissa revealed, and I looked at her. “You are brave; you were brave when you told me that you were gay.”

 

“Liss, this is different,” I countered, my heart pounding.

 

“Do you like the way that you look?” Lissa asked, catching me off guard. I looked at myself in the mirror again. I did like the way that I looked.

 

“Yes,” I answered, not looking at her.

 

“Then that’s all that matters,” Lissa soothed, and I nodded slowly. We then left the bathroom and it was time to leave for the party so we all left riding in two cars. When we got closer to our party destination, I started getting nervous all over again. There was no way that I could do this. I would stay in the car. I should have stayed home. When we arrived, I had to get out of the car to let everyone else out since I was in the back seat with Erika and Jenna. We walked in as a group and when people noticed us, they all stopped. It was the worst feeling in the world, knowing that there would be no way that I could disappear into the shadows. My damn crotch glowed in the dark. After a couple of seconds in the spotlight, everyone went back to doing what they were doing. That was when I finally let out the breath that I had been holding.

 

“Well let’s go drink,” Ben muttered, taking off his mask. He was all sweaty and rough looking.

 

“That wasn’t bad was it?” Lissa asked, after we all sat down.

 

“No,” I answered, “it’s early though, let these fuckers get more liquor into them then we’ll see.”

 

“If anyone gives you shit, just come tell us,” Patrick offered, “don’t take shit.”

 

“Ok,” I offered, smiling at him. At least, I had their support backing me up. I wasn’t alone in that sense. My fears were still very real though. If I finished this night without any trouble I would think I was pretty damn lucky. After finishing my drink, I was dragged to the dance floor by Lissa and Gabby. I was being sandwiched by them and Patrick and Ben looked completely jealous when I glanced in their direction. Erika and Jenna had refused to dance with them in their bulky costumes. At least I could move in mine. When we got tired of dancing, I needed some air.

 

“That was fun,” Lissa beamed, sitting down and grabbing some tea.

 

“I need some air Lissa,” I announced, and she looked concerned. “I’m ok.”

 

“Alright hon, call me if you need me,” Lissa said, and I looked at her.

 

“I don’t have a cell,” I responded, and she looked at me.

 

“That’s all you down there?” she asked, and I started blushing.

 

“I uh yeah,” I stammered, and she blinked a few times.

 

“Well then here take mine and call Gabby if you need anything,” Lissa instructed, and I took her cell phone and a glass of tea outside. There were people talking outside and I didn’t want to be anywhere around them, so I walked back to where Lissa’s car was parked and stood beside it. When someone appeared, I grabbed the cell phone that I put on the car.

 

“Hi,” I greeted, trying not to sound nervous.

 

“Hey,” he greeted, he was in a cloaked costume and tights. He looked like Robin Hood in disguise I thought, but I didn’t say anything. The only thing I could see was his chest and it was smooth. “I’m getting some air it’s hot in there in this,” he said.

 

“Well not for me,” I said, and he looked me over then laughed slightly. He sounded a little nervous as well.

 

“Are you having fun?” he asked, then leaned against the car.

 

“Yeah so far,” I answered, “what’s your name?”

 

“My name?” he asked quickly, “Uh, Kyle. What‘s yours?”

 

“I‘m Brian,” I answered, then I held out my hand and he shook it. I was hoping he wasn’t someone from school or I’d be caught in a lie. He didn’t call me on it thought.

 

“Nice to meet you,” he said, and then I noticed that he didn’t let go of my hand. When I looked down at them, he let go and my hand fell to my side.

 

“Isn’t this the best holiday?” I asked casually.

 

“Yeah it is,” he answered, “what are you though?”

 

“A fairy,” I answered, after thinking about it. There was no way to lie when I was dressed like this and had wings. I definitely wasn’t an angel.

 

“Oh, I’m Robin Hood. At least you’re original,” Kyle stated and I laughed slightly. “And Brave.”

 

“Well you’re a very convincing Robin Hood though,” I responded, and I knew that I was flirting. I just hoped I didn’t get caught at it. It was easy talking to him, when I stopped thinking that he was someone from school. Carson hadn’t made an appearance yet and I definitely was going to avoid him. I didn’t need him seeing me like this. I was hoping that he’d continue being distant from me like he had Friday, but it wasn’t likely. He was probably just scheming to get me again next week. I really did hate him.

 

“What are you doing after this party thing?” he asked, and I turned to look at him. I had turned away when things fell silent.

 

“Um nothing I don’t think,” I answered, not knowing of anything that Lissa had planned for afterwards.

 

“I don’t have anything planned either,” he said, and I hated that I couldn’t see his face for his mask and hat. If he wanted to be secretive, he was definitely pulling it off. “Do you want to do something later then?”

 

“We don’t know one another,” I answered, and I heard him sigh.

 

“Yeah I know,” he responded, and it surprised me when he sounded disappointed. I wasn’t going anywhere with someone I didn’t know. I started shivering then. It was October and it was getting pretty chilly out tonight.

 

“I’m starting to get cold,” I shuddered, and he took off his cloak. He was wearing a brown jacket under it. He then draped it over my shoulder and tied the strings around my neck and I looked up at him. I still didn’t know who he was and that made things different. There wasn’t any guarantee that I would be seeing him again.

 

“There,” he said, and I looked down at it.

 

“Thanks,” I offered, and then we leaned up against the car. I sat Lissa’s cell on the hood and I then felt him scooting closer to me. “Are you cold now?” I asked.

 

“No,” he answered in a shaky voice. I turned and leaned up against the car facing him now and he did the same. When he leaned forward, I backed away.

 

“What are you doing?” I asked, and he straightened up.

 

“You’re so hot,” he said, not really answering my question. “I want to kiss you.”

 

“I don’t know you,” I countered, looking at him.

 

“Does that matter?” he asked, and when I couldn’t find the answer, he leaned forward again and kissed me. It was tentative at first, but I liked the feeling of his soft cotton mask against my face. Then he stepped closer to me and I started kissing him back. Then when he broke the kiss, he took a step back. “See you around.”

 

“How will you see me around?” I asked, when he turned to leave. He stopped then turned back to me.

 

“Where do you go to school?” he asked, his voice cracking slightly.

 

“Jackson South High,” I answered, and he nodded.

 

“Yeah, I know where that is,” he muttered, then turned and left me I then grabbed Lissa’s cell phone smiling. Even if I never see Kyle again, I would definitely remember that kiss. When I entered the house, I found my friends sitting around the table. Ben was pretty trashed and I wondered how long I had been gone.

 

“There he is,” Gabby said, being the first one to notice me.

 

“Hey guys,” I greeted, sitting down.

 

“Don’t make yourself comfortable,” Lissa said, and then everyone started standing.

 

“We leavin?” I asked, standing up.

 

“Yes we are,” Lissa answered, “we need to get out of these costumes so we can wear them Monday.”

 

“Alright,” I said, and we all got back into our cars. Then when we got home and changed, I said goodbye to everyone and left. I still couldn’t get that kiss out of my mind. I wanted to find out who Kyle was, but I knew it was going to be a search. It didn’t take me that long to get to sleep that night though. Nothing bad happened and I wasn’t outed by anyone. Lissa had been right and I was glad that I done it.

 

When Monday rolled around, I dressed myself just like Lissa had instructed me. I was thankful that my parents left for work early. I didn’t want them seeing me like this just yet. I knew they’d want to see pictures and I’d probably have to show them, but I wanted Lissa to be there with me when I did. I was nervous again when I arrived and I didn’t leave the car until Lissa came to get me.

 

“You ready?” she asked, and I grabbed my wings and that adhesive stuff. When we were all ready, we walked into the lunchroom where all the other seniors that didn’t dress up for the competition were waiting. The councilor and teachers looked surprised to see us too. We were breaking a lot of Dress Code rules wearing these. We didn’t care though. It was a costume competition, even if Halloween wasn’t until tomorrow, not officially.

 

“Now the participants for this year are as listed,” Principal Lambert opened, “Groups: Fairies, Alien, Chainsaw Massacre Guy, Little Red Riding Hood, Satan, Group Disney Princesses, and then lastly Robin Hood.”

 

“Robin Hood,” I stammered, not making the connection.

 

“Robin Hood, where is he?” Principal Lambert asked, “Carson, is he absent?” The lunchroom doors opened right behind us then. The cloak was missing because I still had it at home. He had left too quickly for me to realize that I still had it on me.

 

“What is this?” I hissed, turning to him. “Fuck you!”

 

“Now James…” I heard Principal Lambert say, but I was already running down the hallway. When I looked back, I saw my wings flapping in the breeze but I also saw Carson running after me. He had lost his hat and he was revealed to me now. I was fumbling with my keys when he caught up to me.

 

“What the fuck is this?” I asked, “Kyle, ha!”

 

“Well you lied too, Brian,” Carson stammered uneasily.

 

“At least you could recognize me,” I snapped, “why do you always have to play a joke on me? What fucking problem do you have?”

 

“Calm down James,” Carson countered, and I only looked at him.

 

“Go ahead and run along and tell everyone that I’m a faggot,” I snapped coldly. “You asshole you can’t get any lower.”

 

“What if I was scared?” Carson asked, grabbing hold of my hands when I started to unlock my door. “What if I picked on you because I wanted to have some kind of contact with you?”

 

“You can stop playing your sick joke on me,” I whispered, jerking my hands out of his.

 

“I’m not playing a damn joke on you James,” Carson huffed, and then he reached up and took off his mask. “I wanted to be close to you.”

 

“Well, pissing me off every day sure as hell wasn’t a good way to get closer to me,” I hissed, unlocking my car door. “I’m sorry, it was just Halloween right?”

 

”Couldn’t you at least think about where I’m coming from?” Carson asked, grabbing hold of my car door to keep me from closing it.

 

“No, because every time I think about you I get pissed,” I answered, and we stared at one another then. He had let me flirt with him and then he kissed me. I didn’t know what to believe with him.

 

“Look last night was the best night since I first met you in middle school,” Carson revealed, “I couldn’t get close to you though, I was afraid. In this stupid costume though I knew I could get close to you without you knowing.”

 

I didn’t know if Carson was lying or not, but I wanted to believe him. Only he could prove that to me. Only time would tell now though.

 

“Get in the car,” I ordered, and I watched him walk around the car.

 

 

The End

 

© 2006 Christina Gates

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

One of those truly entertaining stories that let's you think you've got it figured out, only to be pleasantly surprised at the end. An enjoyable journey  through the frightening social changes faced in high school by closeted gay teens. I love Krista's work - it's always really enjoyable to read.

Edited by SpectreWulff
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 6/23/2017 at 7:43 AM, SpectreWulff said:

One of those truly entertaining stories that let's you think you've got it figured out, only to be pleasantly surprised at the end. An enjoyable journey  through the frightening social changes faced in high school by closeted gay teens. I love Krista's work - it's always really enjoyable to read.

 

Thank you for reading! This was my first attempt at the, "Anthologies," as a new author on GA when I first joined. So I'm glad you liked it. :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..