Jump to content
    Kyle Aarons
  • Author
  • 8,247 Words
  • 587 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Beyond the Crags - 14. Chapter 14

Tez and Nuk once again stripped down to loincloths and moved up to the chairs. Both fingered their magical jewelry, but Tez spoke up. “The designs match those of the chairs and mine stuck into the carving. I think we need to wear them for this to work.” He paused and forced a grin. “Besides, the last thing either of us wants is to sit on these stupid chairs for nothing. So let’s just deal with the burns we got from the jewelry heating up.”

Cuson let out a long breath. “What about putting on leather under them?”

Nuk glanced over at Cuson, then over to Tez, “Or we could try to put leather under them, so it doesn’t touch our skin…”

Tez nodded slowly. “OK, yeah…” Tez took his Dagger of Light and sliced off a strip of tattered leather armor taken off one of the captives. “But if it doesn’t work because the metal isn’t touching our skin someone will need to yank it out from under our jewelry, cause there’s no way I am going to be able to do anything once I sit on the chair!”

Cuson moved over to help make sure there was no metal touching their skin. As he did so he studied the two items. “These look real old…”

“Not even the magic is enough to hide the age,” Nuk stated as he moved his wrist around with the leather under the bracelet. “From what we heard it was found with a whole bunch of other items buried in the remnants of a burned fort on the ridge to the north of the End of the Road. Tez’s necklace was also part of what was found. The Ruinseeker who let us take our pick from the stash of items said there were bones of dragons, Dragonlings, and lots of other races. Many were armed and armored. It is believed they were buried alive after a volcanic eruption because there was ash, obsidian rock chips, and burned wood found with them, but the room this came out of held.”

“Yeah,” Tez joined in. “We were told it was in a small section of the fortress that was buried, but the room itself was locked and was found sealed under the collapsed north tower. The room itself was intact with what sounded like gear set out on racks. But there were some who got trapped and couldn’t get out.

“Our guards had to fight five Dragonlings found with combat hammers and picks. It sounded like the Ruinseekers thought they tried to break out of the room but couldn’t before the heat from the fire above or lack of air killed them, then they turned to hide walkers.”

Cuson shuddered, “What a horrible way to die!”

Tez nodded, “I feel sorry for them every time I touch my necklace. I wonder what they talked about as they tried to get out even as they knew they were probably going to die… But they never even had the chance to pass on. The way we hear it, they were so old, they shattered and all but turned to dust when our guards got through the hardened dry hide covering them. However, because they didn’t break out, the room remained sealed up and dry. It is why everything inside it was in such great shape.

Nuk rubbed a cloth over his bracelet, “Not even the magic within allows this to shine like I bet it used to. Makes me wonder if it used to hold more force than it does now, but it is still very nice to have some reserve casting ability.”

Vendra moved up to the table. “I just hope this works. I don’t want you two to have to do this for nothing.”

“I don’t want to go through it again at all!” Nuk snorted.

“So let’s make sure we do this right,” Adga stated. “Let's get everything set up as best as possible.”

Adga pointed to the three with parchment and quills. “The map appeared in the center of the table, but the edges looked solid. If it isn’t then… use the stools to draw on. Ven you are really good, so take the far side where the two towers spit out sand and draw back toward the Spires Gatewall. Vyrax start close to the Spires gate, but don’t worry about the areas we already know. Probably the best place to start would be at the triple Y passages branching off of what we call Spearhead Rocks. The sand was all being sucked toward the towers so see if you can follow one of the paths. It may give as a navigable path right to the outer gatewall and those two towers.”

Adga moved up and placed a gentle hand on Rygo, “There is a spot we know of with good water. I will point it out and then point in the direction I want you to draw since we know the way to the spring. This will give us three areas and maybe let us piece together a large section of the Crags we can eventually form into one map.”

Vyrax spoke up, “I will show him, Ad. You and Royal Guard Taglon should stay with the captives in case the tunnel opens again. If someone or something was about to come through, or even if more of the burning packs appear, you need to be in there!”

Rin nodded in agreement. “No lock da redhead and Halfelf ta each udder. Give 'em water ta put out pack if more appear!”

Adga pointed to Taglon to unlock Wiro and Gefin. “Good idea!”

She took a deep breath and patted Rygo on the back, “Listen to Vyrax. He’ll show you where to start. She turned to Cuson, “I’ll need you to flip the sandglass, 'cause it took just about everything Nuk and Tez had to flip them the first time. We need them focused on staying in the chairs, not spinning the timepiece.”

Nuk quickly agreed. “At least this time I know what’s coming. But you’re right. With Tur holding me, all I’m going to be able to do is let it have some of my force to make the map and twitch once the magic smashes into me…” He paused as he eyed the sandglasses. “I know I can make it through the length of the bigger black sandglass, but we ought to try to stay on as long as possible…” Nuk picked up the biggest one. It had orange sand in it and was easily a third larger than the one with the black sand. Think you can handle this one, Tez?”

Tez stared at the sandglass for several seconds. “Maybe… I’m willing to give it a try… We are going to get two more gold for this…”

Adga took the sandglass from Nuk and looked at it. “I don’t want either of you pushing too hard… But… if you can manage to stay on until this empties, we should get enough time to get some kind of map…” She took a deep breath. “How about we do both the black sand and this at the same time? Once the black sand runs out, either of you can call for it to end… If you both make it all the way to the end of this one, though, I’ll toss in an extra gold each.”

“For three gold, I’ll find a way to make it!” Tez stated with certainty. He glanced over at Rin, “Don’t let me up no matter what!”

Nuk nodded as he glanced over at Tur, “Even if I beg to be let up, do not let me until the orange one’s top is empty! I want those three gold!”

Tur took a deep breath, “As you command.” He glanced over at Adga, “While I will keep Nuk on the chair regardless of discomfort, I cannot guarantee I will be in any condition to properly fight if I hold him on the chair for the duration of the orange sand.”

“I wouldn’t expect you to, Tur…” Adga forced a grim smile. “I promise you this much. If you can hold him down till the big one empties, I will do what I can to make this right with you and your owner.”

Tur shrugged, “I am not sure what you can do, Commander, but thank you for consideration.” He moved over to the chair, glanced over at the three who had quills, parchment, and ink ready, and then over to Nuk. “Let me know when you are ready.”

Even as Nuk glanced over and got a nod from Tez, he took a deep breath. “Never is the answer I want to give, but here it goes.”

Both nobles sat down and gripped the sides of the chairs they were on. As before, swirling energy blasted out of the crests. The pendant on Tez’s neck lifted up, twisted around in the air, and slammed into the back of the chair.

However, since Adga wondered if this would again happen, she stood at the entrance to the dining hall and waited for it to happen. What she saw sent a shiver down her spine. Even as she watched, the energy erupting out of the crest formed into a three-horned winged lizard. The center horn was much larger. The front claws of the lizard grabbed the pendant, pulled it up and it looked for all the world like the dragon was studying it. The golden energy shifted, spun, and reformed. It stared at Tez for a few moments. The head made a nodding motion as the claws holding the pendant shoved the pendant into the indention in the chair. Moments later bright blue energy blasted out of Nuk’s mouth, mixed with the energy slamming into him, and sent a series of swirling green bolts of magic into the etched-in marking on the table’s edge.

The surface of the table rippled as it appeared to turn to sand. The sand quickly took shape.

Nuk and Tez both cried out in agony as Tur and Rin pulled on their arms to keep them locked tightly to the chairs. Within moments the structure of the Crags became clear.

Vyrax quickly tapped Rygo on the shoulder and pointed to a spot on the table. “Start there!”

“Draw toward the towers spitting out sand!” Vendra called out even as she put quill to parchment.

Adga stared at the table for several seconds. This ended quickly as she realized a bright light was coming from behind her. She spun.

Right where the captives had pointed to earlier, a bright golden archway appeared. In the glowing band of the archway, crests that matched all the chairs in the other room could clearly be made out. Most were black with a dark red outline around them. Two were blood red: crossed khopesh blades behind a crossed winged dragon on a kite shield and the crest of crossed khopesh blades behind a crossed winged dragon on an unrolled scroll.

Others were bright green. This included the chair Tez sat at. There were six other green ones: A dragon with barely crossed wings, no horn on kite shield; A staff with a gem on top behind a dragon with crossed wings; Crossed khopesh blades behind a crossed winged dragon with a broken chain along the bottom: A hammer on anvil in front of a lamassu with a battle axe in its teeth. The other green crests she knew. The first was of the Alphar crest matching what was on Nuk and Tez’s blades. The second was the one she passionately believed was in the Line of Odin, yet unidentified crest.

Additionally, there were two other blue crests: they were the brightest. These brightly glowing crests were a cross winged dragon with an open book behind and scrolls on both sides and one with wings on both sides of crossed cutlasses. This last one matched the design of what the captives called the ‘winged chair’.

Finally, the arch showed one crest of shifting colors. It seemed to ripple with green, blue, and red. It matched the chair Nuk sat at.

On the opposite side of the room, by the barred door, Taglon gasped and put his hand on his pickhammer.

Adga held up a hand to stop him from pulling the weapon.

Moments later the center of the arch rippled with waves of prismatic light. A tunnel formed. Once it fully developed, tendrils of sulfur-smelling smoke wafted out. The smoke was quickly followed by five more smoking packs. They hit in random spots in the room

This time, however, Wiro and Geffin were ready with waterskins. They moved quickly to pour water on most of them.

The last pack to emerge from the archway landed on the bed with Torga. Even as injured as she was, she kicked it onto the floor, grabbed a waterskin hanging off the back of the bed, and dumped water on the pack.

The shifting curling colors in the middle of the arch stabilized shortly after the packs came through. A figure of a kneeling boy in a tan robe with a large shield held above his head could clearly be made out. Behind him, a Hawkling grabbed a girl who also had a shield up over her head. As it helped her to stand, it grabbed a pack lying on the ground next to it. It shouted something Adga couldn’t understand while giving an overhand motion with the pack still clutched in its talons.

Behind the Hawkling, three other figures grabbed packs off the ground and rushed past the Hawkling. The boy and girl, with shields above their heads, stumbled out of the weird tunnel. The girl tripped over one of the small chests and fell to the ground hard. The shield clattered noisily to the ground leaving a few gouges in the rock floor as it bounced a few times before it hit one of the beds. Its combat edging stuck deeply into the wood. The huge sack over the girl’s other shoulder fell and spilled out a massive amount of fresh vegetables and fruit.

The boy stumbled over the girl’s right leg. He managed to stay standing as he used the shield to help keep himself up. However, the shield showed it also had a deadly sharpened edge as it created a deep gash in a small bronze-bound chest and stuck in place.

A young Drow was next. The boy grabbed yet another pack off the floor of the glowing passage before backing out of the portal helping a small Dragonling as he did so. The Dragonling had remnants of smoking cloth in and around its tan neck and shoulder scales. A backpack with a bedroll on top also had glowing embers on it. The Dragonling was crying but still clutched an enormous thick-looking rucksack in the claws of its right hand.

A Hawkling-looking figure, but with blue and yellow feathers, came out backward dragging yet another tan sparkly scaled Dragonling. Some of its wing feathers were melted, blackened and a few still smoked.

On the chest of the Dragonling was a pack and another massive rucksack. The moment both the Hawkling and the Dragonling were clear of the arch, the two blue crests shown on the arch changed to green. Seconds later cracks appeared in the archway. The prismatic effect in the center reappeared. The archway was then sucked up into the colorful twisting and turning light until it was a small egg-shaped orb.

The orb exploded with a roar and intense flash of red and black energy. It washed out of the room and rolled into the dining area and down the surrounding halls. Moments later all was quiet save for the yelps and cries from Nuk and Tez and heavy breathing from those who had just emerged from the magical tunnel.

The recent dagger slash to Adga’s side vanished, as did other recent injuries. Others around the room let out gasps as wounds closed, bones mended, and bruises vanished. Those with the worst injuries were knocked unconscious by the instant healing.

Even though dumbfounded, Adga reacted fast. She pulled a waterskin off her side and dumped it on the small Dragonling with the burning bits of cloak and smoking backpack.

Taglon kicked a still-smoking pack off into a corner and ran over to the Drow boy. He poured water over the boy’s head and shoulders where red hot embers were visible on the thin cloak.

He pointed to Wiro and Geffin, “More water! Get these other burning packs out!

Vendra’s voice came from the dining room, “Ad? What was that and what’s going on!?”

“Keep drawing!” Adga barked back. “I don’t want to make Nuk and Tez do this again! We got this!”

Adga turned to Thul-mora and Rebklos, “Help a couple of them out of their burning cloaks and gear!”

The Hawkling stood and spun while pulling a Cutlass. It made a single step forward but stopped as it saw Adga move with both hands held up and out. Its hostile look changed as it stared at the pin on Adga’s guardsman cloak. It said something. Only one word stood out. “Shunral” which was said as it gave a quick bow. It then glanced around wildly.

“It’s OK!” Adga stated forcefully. “Let us help you.”

It’s eyes narrowed, but it took another moment to look around. It also looked at the pin on Adga’s cloak again.

Adga kept both hands open even as she spoke forcefully. “Let me deal with the Hawkling. Keep helping those it came with! It will show we are not a threat!”

Adga pulled another waterskin off a bed and held it up and out. “You’re still burning!” she pointed to its left wing.

The Hawkling smacked at its wing, took the water, and poured it over the smoking feathers. It winced but nodded as it handed the waterskin back.

Adga pulled another waterskin off the bed and held it out while accepting the empty one.

This time the Hawkling took a sniff of the water before taking a long swig. It then knelt and offered some to the Dragonling it had pulled out of the opening. However, it kept looking back over its shoulder with clear suspicion.

Adga glanced over to Taglon, “Doesn’t look like he understands us.”

“Agreed,” Taglon responded. “It looks confused or concerned about you. But your actions seem to be working. Keep it up.”

“I think it has more to do with my Shunral sponsorship pin. He seems to know it!”

“Then keep his focus on it. I have not been around many Hawklings and none with feathers of such vivid color, but he appears to be a young one. Probably about your Human Equivalency.”

The Hawkling dug into its pack and pulled out a silver bracelet with a glowing crimson-colored stone on it. He put it on and tapped it. He started to speak, but another voice, a disembodied female, seemed to come from the stone. “An unknown with a charmed demon heart stone with communication enchantments. Hear me, boy. Come out to play, become one with me.”

Another voice, this one also disembodied and hollow, yet rougher came from the stone. “No, he is mine as are those with him. Come, allow your spirit to become my toy feathered one, and bring your friends. You can unlive forever!”

At the same time, the magical lights started to flicker badly. Shadows cast from them caused horrid images within the shadows including someone being quartered and a couple of others being impaled and hoisted up. It reminded Adga of what she had done to the deadwalker with the banner only a few weeks ago. It made her shudder.

Several other voices came from the stone until there was nothing more than whispers and bits, all inviting the Hawkling to become a dead walker.

Cuson poured more water over one of the packs and stood. “I’ve seen those! They are communication stones, but they are picking up the undead from the storm instead of letting them talk to us! It is also giving them some kind of access to us!

The Hawkling stared at the stone for several seconds and glanced around at the shadows while those with him, along with most of the captives let out frightened yelps. Finally, the Hawkling yanked it off his wrist and tossed it off into a corner. As soon as he did this, the voices stopped and the shadows seemed to lessen, however, a few pulses of magical lights caused shadows to look like claws and distorted screaming faces.

A couple of those with the Hawkling stopped reaching into their packs and stared at the Hawkling with wide eyes as it drew a blade and slashed at a few of the shadows. It did no good.

Cuson spoke up. “I think I can help. Let me cast!”

Adga raised an eyebrow, “OK, but let me try to get across what is going to happen so it doesn’t think you are attacking. It is already freaked out!”

“Good! So am I!” Tagon responded. “But if there is a way to talk to it…”

“This should work, but the storm may mess with it.”

“Give it a shot,” Adga commanded. “But let me try to get across what is going to happen!”

“All you,” Cuson stated, “just do it quick before he swings that cutlass at one of us!”

To this end, Adga backed out, “Stop swinging the blade like an idiot and look at me!” She pointed to herself. “Look at me!” As eyes turned to her, she slid back a couple of steps so she was close to Cuson. She patted him on the shoulder, then held up both hands again. She spun her hand and spoke a soft word. A glowing ball of pulsating blue-green light, tinged with orange, appeared in her hand. She pointed to the glow Autospell then over at Cuson while wiggling her fingers.

The Hawkling lowered his blade, cocked its head to the side for a few seconds then nodded.

Cuson took a deep breath, “Sure hope the Dead Storm doesn’t mess with this too much.” He turned to look at Adga. “I am going to cast for you. It should let you speak with him, but not for very long… less than a quarter of a normal sandglass. I may need some help after the spell is over though… and if you don’t mind, can I have my fangs? I may need them.”

“Best shot we have. Go for it.”

As Cuson procured both sets of his fangs, Taglon kept his voice soft but his words were strong. “You are not as of yet in this patrol. If this is any kind of a trick I will… You really do not want to know, young one.”

“It isn’t a trick. But your blade and pick are also enchanted so keep them handy…” Cuson let out another long breath then cast with an elaborate series of hand motions and sequence of strange words. A shimmering form of a birdman, similar in appearance to a Hawkling, appeared in front of Adga. It turned to seemingly glare at Cuson.

Cuson pointed at Adga as he cupped his hands and pushed them toward each other. The shimmering bird-man cringed. A moment later it turned to mist and spiraled up into Adga’s right nostril.

Adga went down to one knee. She coughed and sputtered for a few seconds. “Oh, that was horrible! What did you do to me?”

The Hawkling’s head feathers raised up. “I believe it is a Shaman or Spirit Warrior spell called Spirit Speech. Not something the faint of heart is willing to cast. Especially when he had to force the issue. And not with so many evil entities so near!”

Adga blinked, shook her head, and forced herself to stand. “You can understand me?”

“And you, me. Those with you will be able to understand what you say, but not me as long as the spirit stays with you. But your small friend must continue to concentrate to keep it in you, for spirits do not like to be used like this. There is a chance as it exits you, it will try to strike at your friend. I have a blade that will harm it, so when it comes out of you move clear. When it sees my blade, it will most certainly flee rather than stick around.”

Adga wobbled and blinked. “OK, and it sounds like we don’t have much time. So first off we are not going to hurt you.”

“I guessed this, and have immense trust in you being with house Shunral. However, you do not speak Drow, there are horrors surrounding us, and you have many small ones in chains…”

“I didn’t know there is a Drow language.”

“How could you not know?” Its brow scrunched up. “More of this later. What about the younger ones?”

“Thieves,” Adga stated. “You are in a den of cutpurses. I am a patrol leader tasked with eliminating the problem.”

“Why chain them like this?”

“We cannot take them to jail. There is a Dead Storm above us.”

The Hawkling made what Adga took to be a scowl. “A what?”

“If you don’t know what a Dead Storm is, I don’t think I have time to fully explain, even if I fully understood it, which I don’t. All I can say is they come up every fifty to hundred years and last a few days. A Dead Storm kills those caught out in it and turns many into dead walkers.”

“Dead walkers…” The Hawkling’s eyes went wide. “Undead?”

“Yes.” Adga turned, “Nod if I am telling the truth so the Hawkling knows I am being serious.”

The Hawkling glanced around and noticed several in the room bob heads up and down including several of those in chains. “And we are safe here?”

“As long as the storm cannot get in here, yes. But it seems some of the spirits with the storm are trying to frighten us. Do not listen or pay too much attention. As long as we are inside, the storm and what is behind it cannot harm us.”

“Good to know, but I am a Falconling, not a Hawkling.”

“Sorry, didn’t know.”

“My blue and gold feathers didn’t tell you this?”

“I have only seen a few Hawklings and never a Falconling. I thought Falconlings were all but wiped out during the Mythling and Dragon Wars…”

“Wiped out??? No!” It paused. “Dragon wars? Are Dragons other than the Sands and Browns at war?”

“Ahhh…” Adga glanced over to Taglon, “He wants to know if other Dragons besides Browns and Sands are at war…”

“You are the Ruinseeker. Explain to him what you know!” Taglon stated in exasperation as the shadows continued to show horrors including people being tortured, claws, heads screaming, and the like.

Adga blinked and focused back on the Falconling, “The Browns were all but wiped out and Sand Dragons are like… myth… the other dragon races fought pitched battles with both the Green and Red losing their entire homelands. The Browns lost all their greats and are now a race hunted by all the other Dragons. From my understanding, it is a great honor to come back with the head of a Brown, even a Brown Dragonling.

“The Whites, Bronze, Black, and Golds are the only ones to have gained land but were all badly weakened. While it sounds like seeing dragons used to be common, only a very few can claim to have seen one. I am not one of those… As far as the Sands… Only the oldest of myths, texts, and scrolls talk about Sand Dragons…”

“Oldest of texts? Myths? What trick is this? I was just with Crown Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier half a moon ago!”

Adga blinked at the long lofty title. She held up both hands. “Who?”

“Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier! Crown Prince of the Sand Dragons!”

“Never even seen the name mentioned in any texts… And are you really telling me you know a Sand Dragon?”

“Know a Sand Dragon? I know scores! And why am I talking to a giant Orakin? How do you have a Shunral pin without knowledge of the Drow language and who is in command of this group?”

Adga scowled, fully exposing her left tusk while all but completely covering her right one. After a few seconds of silence, she glanced over her shoulder. “He wants to know who is in command of this patrol.”

All hands, including the prisoners, pointed to her.

She smirked and turned back to the Falconling, “Answer your question?”

As the Falconling blinked and nodded, Adga forced a smile, “Oh, and I’m sponsored by house Shunral and am totally loyal to them and the Combined Desert Realm. And like I did toward you and your race, you have mistaken mine. I am Illorc. Best as I know, there are no more Orakin either.”

The Falconling’s eyes went wide. “Illorc? No more Orakin? What happened to the High Orcs? Did Illorc’s suddenly outgrow them?”

Adga snickered, “My size is… an oddity… As for the Orakin, they were killed off at the end of the Mythling Wars or the beginning of the Dragon Wars… Many by your kind according to ancient texts… Um, and yeah, I’m an Illorc. We are now considered the High Orcs… still basically a monster race by most, but we get a little more respect than Orcs…. I’m Adga.” She then pointed to others in the room with her and gave the names. “Others in my patrol are in the dining hall trying to get a map of the Crags.”

There were several seconds of open beak followed by more blinks. He swallowed hard. “I have trust in House Shunral. If you are indeed a member by some kind of sponsorship, I put my trust in you.”

“I am sponsored. I cannot speak for them in anything save as a guard patrol leader.”

“It will have to do until I can speak directly to a house representative,” the Falconling responded with a sigh. “There is much we… I need to discuss. And more I must understand, for it looks and sounds like something is badly amiss. However, time is short for this first bit of communication. I am Gordech Lodisaw, son of Sir Krainer Lodisaw, Captain of the Guard of the Eastern Mount Fortress. With me is Ebio-Dykor, line of Crown Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier on the queen’s side.” He pointed to the still-crying small Dragonling. “He is the prince’s favorite Dragonling out of the year of Jade Moon hatchlings. While young, the boy is the highest-rated Warrior Adept in his fledgling classes by a wide margin.

“The Dragonling being tended to by the fancily armored Dwarf with the crest I do not recognize is Rioh-Ikenara, also in the line of the crown prince, but on the king’s side.” He pointed to the larger Dragonling who was being given water by Rebklos.

“Cre’vean Senden-voth,” Gordech gestured to the young Drow, “is a boy Crown Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier sent me to rescue from the armies of fire Mythlings and their death-loving Brown Dragon allies. I do not know why he is of such importance to the prince, nonetheless, he is.

“The last two are slaves of Earl Senjam-Querm’Adifa’s estate within the palace walls, within the city of Angry Water on the northeast end of Odin’s Gift. The boy is a gifted Bardic and I believe the girl worked in the palace gardens. I have not had the chance to talk to either, but they were close to the portal. I love the boy’s lute playing and Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier also commented on his abilities, so I grabbed him and the other slave in hopes of saving who I could from the firestorm and undead overrunning Angry Water. I tried to get some guards to join me, but they tossed me their packs and guarded the gate until it closed. I owe the guards of Angry Water my life!”

Adga ran her hand down her face. “I have no idea where Angry Water is. I have never heard of it. All I know is you just came out of a magical gate deep in a land where no magical gates are ever supposed to open.

“The gate came as a surprise to me. However, it had the crest of the Royal Mage of Seandra in the middle along with my crest. It is often a way Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier has called for me since we became friends a few years ago. I assumed he had the gate opened for me to get out of Angry Water so I could rejoin him and the others we travel with…” Gordech looked around the room and spat. “Now where am I and is this Dead Storm why the magic feels and even tastes so stale?”

“Under Scorpion Falls… In a long-forgotten complex, which I believe to have once been under some kind of fortress. As for the feeling of magic… The last thing I would call it is stale. To most of us, it feels more powerful than normal.”

“Patrol leader,” Taglon spoke up, “if he thinks the magic is stale, it may be because he is from outside the Greater Desert Realm. I have heard others from outside our realm say the magic feels strange here. The most common way I have heard it described is it being ‘off’.”

At this, Adga nodded. “Royal guardsman Taglon makes a good point. The Greater Desert Realm is shrouded in some kind of magic-dampening power that prevents gates and teleportation. It is also said to be harder to cast here. Having never been out of the Greater Desert Realm, I cannot verify this.”

Gordech let out a sigh as he knocked some badly charred feathers off his right wing. “I have never felt magic so weak… Scorpion Falls… Is this the dried river that when it rains pours scorpions down the cliffs with the great nets built by the Human Warlord King Odin that unfold during sand, rain, and windstorms to prevent the water from fouling with the poison of scorpions?”

“It is. You know of it?”

“I have been here a few times with Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier and our friends. But the city to the southeast of the falls was abandoned early in the fighting.”

“Abandoned? It was reclaimed thousands of years ago!”

“Not possible!”

“I would normally agree but the records of the five royal houses combining to take back the ruins and rebuild it are well documented…. But you say it was abandoned? Why?”

“There was no choice. All settlements and fortresses outside the Great Barrier that protected the center of Seandra were forcefully evacuated because the Brown Dragons and their fire Mythling allies kept turning those they killed into undead. They send them right back at us… we end up fighting them and what used to be living allies. We started defending small, easy-to-protect sections of cities until the fire Mythlings sent their fire rock storms to destroy us. We do so because it also wipes out many of those who turn undead and are forced to go against us. Most fled behind the Great Barrier before the undead hordes and their masters got to the walls of the cities.”

“Great Barrier?”

“You know! The greyish-yellow magical protection wall. Until its recent collapse, the only way in or out was through the great gate or with portal spells cast by Olpha’s father, the King, the Queen, or a few other trusted members of the court. Oh… and Rovnar and a few of the other demigods.”

“Demi…” the word stopped as a swirling mist exited Adga’s left nostril and formed into the birdman. While she went back down to a knee, the ghostly figure extended its talons and moved straight at Cuson.

It only made it a couple of steps before Gordech spun to place himself between Cuson and the figure. At the same time, he redrew one of his two cutlasses. Opposite Gordech, Taglon pulled his magical pickhammer. The birdman spirit stopped, held up both hands, retracted its talons, and vanished. As it did so most of the shadows stopped showing horrors, but a few persisted to look like claws and creature heads with lots of teeth.

Gordech shot Taglon with a look that appeared to be a grin. He let out a chirping snort and said something. Whatever it was caused the boy and girl with the shields to snicker. The young Drow smirked and nodded.

Adga glanced up and noticed the blade Gordech pulled was made of the same kind of metal as Vyrax’s blade. She blinked as she realized the Falconling’s forearm guards were also Eldwar. Finally, she stared at a necklace that had come out from under the armor as Gordech had spun. It exactly matched the marking on the ‘winged chair.’

A cold shiver shot down her entire body. She spoke aloud. “Guys! Look at the pendant on his necklace! It looks brand new!”

Rebklos glanced up. His voice was high-pitched as he gasped. “There’s no way… Those chairs are probably thousands of years old!”

“But Adga’s right,” Thul-mora stated as she blinked several times. “It is nothing like the jewelry Nuk and Tez have. It has got no tarnish at all!”

Cuson took a few breaths and sat on the edge of Torga’s bed. “Sorry. I thought I could make the spell last longer…”

“It’s OK, at least we got out enough to not fight each other. But can you cast it again?”

“Yeah, but only a few more times before my force replenishes, and I will not be able to cast anything else if I cast too many… But I need some rest before I cast it again. It took everything I had to keep it in you as long as I did. I think it was a tainted spirit, one who had not yet found a place in the outer realms, but leaning toward the malevolent.”

Adga patted Cuson on the shoulder, “Don’t push. We need you.”

Gordech moved over to Cuson and patted the other shoulder. He said something, then turned to look up the passage to the dining hall. He shot a sideways cock of his head and glanced at Adga and pointed.

“You’re hearing Nuk and Tez. They are in chairs…” Adga stopped and sighed. “And you have no clue what I want to tell you.”

Thul-mora stood and turned, “The Dragonling needs more water and I am out…” She stopped as she saw Gordech staring at her. She pointed to herself then put out both hands, “What?”

Gordech knelt and pointed to her house pin. Only one word could be made out, “Oldsurn”. As this happened the young Drow and both slaves gave her their full attention and dropped into a kneeling bow.

Thul-mora blinked a couple of times before pointing over to Adga. “She’s in command, not me! And how do you know my house?”

Cuson forced himself to stand. “I guess I need to try to cast again.”

“No,” Adga commanded. “Not until you are fully rested. No one can go anywhere right now, so we have time.”

Taglon quickly agreed, “Our patrol leader is correct. We have a basic trust. As long as it holds, we can wait.” He took a deep breath, “but we need to refill waterskins. Some of these packs are still smoldering and we are out!”

“Reb, Thul, grab as many waterskins as you can. Royal guardsman, grab Vyrax so there are two of you to open a path and protect them.”

Vyrax entered the room before more could be said. He had his arm around a badly staggering Nuk. They were followed by Ven and Rygo, who supported Tez. Behind them, Tur used the left wall for support as he staggered into view. Rin looked better but still occasionally stopped to put a hand on the right wall.

“Three gold… We get three gold…” Tez managed to spit out before almost taking both Ven and Rygo down with him as he fell to his knees and puked.

Vendra pulled Tez back to his feet and angled over to his bed. She stopped short as she saw the newcomers.

Vyrax glanced at those who came through the tunnel but basically ignored them. Instead, he got Nuk into the bed and pulled one of the small empty chests over. It was just in time. Moments later Nuk leaned over and vomited into the trunk.

Gordech looked at the new arrivals even as Adga rushed over to help Tur who started to slide down the wall. “Got you. Let’s get you to a bed.”

“My apologies commander… I…” he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “I should not… I can make it…”

“Nonsense,” Adga stated as she picked Tur up and carried him to one of the empty beds.

“My master will be angry at me… I am expected to handle…”

“Your master gave you to me for the duration of the storm. I don’t expect anything more than you have already done. Now put your head down and get some rest!”

“As you command…” He reached for the axehammer as he took in Gordech and the others. “Who…?”

“They came through a magical tunnel with more packs. They’re not hostile.”

“Then why does the colorful Hawkling have two blades out?”

Adga glanced over. Sure enough, Gordech had both cutlasses out and was moving up the passage while saying something to Rin.

Adga pushed on Tur’s chest. “You stay. I got this.” She stood and moved up to Gordech and Rin. “What’s going on?”

“Him tryin’ ta talk ta me in Dragon! Me no be train ta talk it. Know few word. Me no remember me ma er pa. Only da arena before bein’ freed by Vylevin patrol wit udder kidssss. Not know how ta tell him me can no talk Dragon… Who him be, Ad?”

“Falconling by the name of Gordech…” She could tell Gordech was getting frustrated because his voice was going up and there were some underlying squawks. “Cuson! Hate to do this to you, but we need you again!”

Cuson came up the passage, held up both hands and knelt.

This caused Gordech to stop, however, his deep breathing told of its frustration.

Cuson spoke up. “Don’t know how long I’ll be able to hold it in you. And I bet it’s going to be mad at me.”

“Hold it for as long as you can. Try to keep it in me until we go to the dining room. Maybe he can explain more once he sees it… Um, speaking of the dining hall, what is with the metal door in the foot washing room?”

“Always wondered what that room was for… Feet washing huh?”

“Yeah. Nobles often do foot washing and dine-in slippers only used in the dining hall. Some scrolls say it was once common to dine in bare feet, and even servers had to wash feet before entering the dining hall to serve.”

“Weird… But, um, every person down here has to try to get that stupid panel open. If you beat on the rock around the door, it sends blasts of electrical energy back at you. A year ago it killed one of the kids, so they finally stopped making new recruits try to break it open, but everyone has to try to open it. Most, including me, have been shocked a few times. It has never even budged as far as I’ve seen and heard.”

Seeing Gordech frown and tap his foot, Adga patted ruffled Cuson’s hair, “One more time then we’ll just have to figure out another way to communicate.”

Cuson nodded but shook his head, “I’m fourteen. Can you stop with the hair ruffle thing?”

Adga grinned sheepishly. “Sorry. My little brother loves to have his hair mussed up. And you do look like a little kid.”

Cuson sighed. “I am a little kid, but not a young one… Never mind…” He rolled his eyes and started the spell again.

This time a misty lion with wings and an eagle head formed. It glared at Cuson, but as soon as he pointed at Adga, it turned into a spinning blue fog and entered Adga’s left nostril. Adga coughed a few times. “Oh, ouch! That looks like the dead walker thing up in the Crags! What the name of the gods is in me Cuson?!”

“A griffin spirit,” Gordech answered. “a powerful one by the look of it. Probably willingly answered the call, since I doubt the little boy could summon such a powerful spirit. As it is, I am amazed one so young can cast a Training Echelon spell.”

“Training Echelon? No way. That is no Autospell. It has to be at least a Primary Echelon spell!”

“Primary Echelon?” Gordech asked. “What is Primary Echelon?”

Adga held up her hand, as with all Illorcs, it had five fingers and a thumb. As she named the echelons, she lowered a digit. “There is seven echelons, Training, Primary, Secondary, Teaching, Expert, Master,” she then lowered her hand, “and Legendary.”

Gordech shook his head, “I am certainly not where I should be! There are ten, but only eight are obtainable by anyone but Mythlets and Mythlings.”

“Eight? What are your eight?”

“Preparation, those who are budding or just starting apprenticeship, Training, those who have mastered the very basics such as casting by spellbook or a weapon, but are not skilled enough to have full understanding of the magic within. Then there are the fully trained guild levels. Proficient, Skilled, Instruction, Accomplished, Renowned, and Supreme. Skilled are allowed to take apprentices of those who are low magically gifted to help them obtain enough understanding to eventually become Proficient. Few low in talent make it past Proficient, but there are a few who make the needed breakthroughs. Those in the Skilled Echelon use this mentorship when they advance to Instruction Echelon and can take on more gifted and true apprentices. Do you not have this system?”

“Um… Kind of… Our Training Echelon are those who start casting minor trick spells. We call them autospells, having the skill to learn a weapon, or the ability to teach a small animal to do basic tricks… Primary are those who can cast book spells, have mastered their first weapon, or can control a couple of decent-sized animals… Secondary is those who have pushed past the basics. Teaching are those who the guilds certify can take apprentices, but Secondary Echelon beings often fill in because there are few Teachers outside the cities. The guilds accept this, but those of Secondary Echelon cannot legally take fees or open schools… Experts are the powerhouses behind most major garrisons. Masters are treated as low royalty and Legendary are equal to all but the highest royalty. I have only met one and it scared the breath out of me to be in the same room with the man!”

Gordech rubbed his right hand through his head feathers. “It sounds like you have dropped an early stage when compared to where I come from. You also are missing a top Echelon or… I will have to see until I can find a way to link back up to Prince Psyen-Raysyn’Xavier.”

Adga shrugged at this. “Maybe you should take a look up in the dining hall. It may be able to help both of us figure this out.” As she moved up the passage, she glanced over, “So you say there are even higher echelons for… those who are gods and demons?”

“This above all else confuses me greatly. The missing gods are not seen as all good or evil, some have leanings toward good or evil but are not seen as either… except maybe Dawnbreaker and Afterdusk. Dawnbreaker is more virtuous while Afterdusk has, as his name implies, leans toward a darker side. However, both are badly missed. Both are known to despise the undead and those who seek to corrupt life to make or even willingly become such horrors. But to answer your question, yes. Mythlings and Mythlets can go higher within the guilds: rumor has it a few of the upper races, including Odin, reached Godling, which in Odin’s case is probable… he was, is, a true legend for the ages. Then there is the very pinnacle of the guilds: Demigod, but only the likes of Rovnar, Syria, Salem, Lunara, Zeris, Quati, and Vindayin have such massive inner power to gain such lofty heights as Demigod! A few recently ascended to fill in for the missing gods and are actively helping to push down the Mythling usurpers such as Frexla, Murderic, Inaxia, Senexia, and Cryploc. A few have recently started to worship some of the ascended. Many are looked to as fledgling gods, replacements for the missing ancient ones. Certainly, you must know this!”

Adga held up both hands. At the same time, she sucked in a few deep breaths. “I know of… those names… but what you refer to as recently ascended and or Demigods are our gods. Furthermore, those you call usurpers are some of the most powerful Demon Lords!”

“How is this possible?” Gordech stopped as he entered the dining hall. He let out a gasp. “What? No! Not possible!”

 

Copyright © 2023 Kyle Aarons; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 11
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great synopsis, Scubber.

There is so much more to be revealed, and I can't say a thing! Blast!!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Gordech is the one Garnet and others have mentioned as being sensitive to the cold. Having just survived a firestorm by virtue of the same powerful magic which saved the rest of Xavier's group, cold shouldn't be an issue for awhile. Gordech has succeeded in his mission better than he currently knows, he is in the same time as the others and has met a powerful group of allies. The gods are heavily meddling with time and fate.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..