Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,178 Words
  • 2,239 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Haunted Love - 5. Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The impact of the car hitting a tree was deafening and abrupt. Hideki was glad for the seatbelt, but it tightened to the point of pain.

“Unlock your seatbelt,” Kazuma ordered from the front seat.

Hideki’s fingers fumbled on the push button on the seatbelt. He couldn’t get it to work.

Kazuma was suddenly in the back seat, sweeping his hands away. Kazuma snapped the seatbelt open.

“We need to go into the trees,” Kazuma said.

Hideki’s gaze returned to the driver who was slumped over the steering wheel.

“What about him?” Hideki asked, as Kazuma pushed the back passenger open and dragged him out.

“There’s nothing to do for him right now,” Kazuma said, moving him fast through wild bushes.

Hideki cursed when a stray brunch scratched his jaw. He stepped wrong on a stone, and almost fell. Kazuma’s grip on his right arm saved him from plunging down, face first. He gasped when Kazuma pressed him against a tree, pushing him down on the muddy ground.

“Shh…” Kazuma pressed a finger on his lips, his gaze on the bushes.

Hideki took in a deep breath, hoping to calm his speeding heartbeat. He wanted to ask ‘what next’ but it seemed like talking would get them into more trouble.

***

“You have three hostiles coming your way,” Sora said into Kazuma’s ear. “They’ve checked the car, left the driver alone and went running after you. Our guys are fifteen minutes out. Can you hold out?”

“Daniel and Patrick?” Kazuma asked.

“They’re occupied with the other two. If they can make it through, you’ll have relief faster.”

“What am I working with?” Kazuma asked, dropping his gaze to Hideki. His charge crouched down, shaking hard even as he tried to stay calm.

“You’re in a forest zone, government property,” Sora said. “If you run north, you’ll go back the way you came, and run into the main road in an hour. You go south; you’ll run into the main road faster, thirty minutes tops. Our guys are coming in that way, there are chances you might run into a secondary group of hostiles as well.”

Kazuma’s gaze returned to Hideki. He didn’t think Hideki was up to an hour’s walk.

“We’ll go south,” Kazuma said. “I have one clip, and a knife, Sora. You have to do what you can to get these bastards off my back. Do you understand?”

“You bet your life on it,” Sora answered.

Kazuma took Hideki’s arm and pulled him up so that he was leaning against the tree.

“We’re going to make a run for it,” Kazuma said. “Are you up for it?”

Hideki met his gaze.

“Do I have a choice?”

“No.” Kazuma shook his head. “We’ll have to run to create a larger distance between us. You can’t stop, Hyde. Do you understand?”

Hideki nodded, though he was trembling seriously.

Kazuma gave him a tentative smile. He took Hideki’s right hand in his left.

“Don’t let go, no matter what.”

Kazuma led the way as they plunged deeper into the forest. The sun was fading fast. Hideki clutched Kazuma’s hand tight and worked to keep up with him.

Kazuma was grateful Hideki had chosen to wear boots instead of his loafers. He kept up a fast pace, pushing Hideki through wild bushes, and thick trees.

Kazuma climbed over a fallen tree, and turned to help Hideki.

“Where are we going?” Hideki asked, he sounded tired, but he didn’t slow down.

“If we keep going, we’ll find the main road again. A team from Renegade Securities is on the way, they’ll meet us there.”

“What about the people following us?” Hideki asked, supporting himself on a tree trunk.

“They want you. They’ll keep coming until they’re stopped,” Kazuma said, quite sure this wasn’t about Hideki’s friends now. The moment that truck had struck their car, he’d known this went deeper.

Hideki clutched at wild branches as they went up a short slope, using them to pull himself up. He missed a step, the ground was slippery. Hideki fell down with a soft gasp. Kazuma bent down, intent on helping him up, and missed a bullet. Kazuma cursed and pushed Hideki into the ground, turning to see a figure in dark clothes coming at them.

“Kazu,” Hideki said, his tone heavy with fear.

“Don’t move,” Kazuma ordered, his gun trained on the man coming at them.

He didn’t want to waste his bullets, so he waited for him to get closer and aimed straight for his chest. The bastard fell with a strangled moan, and Kazuma grabbed Hideki, pushing him up the slope, urging him to move faster.

“How much longer do we keep going?” Hideki asked after a while, the sun had disappeared in the horizon. The forest was dark, though not pitch black yet.

“As long as we can,” Kazuma said, infusing strength in his voice.

Hideki was getting tired.

“Can we stop for a moment?”

Kazuma sighed.

“Sure, but only a moment, Hyde. They’re not too far behind us.”

Hideki leaned against the nearest tree and bend over, hands on his muddy knees.

Kazuma watched him take deep breaths.

“If you were smart, you’d let them take me,” Hideki said, straightening up to face Kazuma.

“That’s not my job,” Kazuma said with a smile. “You father would fire me.”

Hideki chuckled.

“Of course, the paycheck is important.”

“It is,” Kazuma said.

Hideki smiled, and then he gave a soft sigh.

“Are you sure we’re going to make it?”

“We will,” Kazuma said.

He took Hideki’s left arm and pushed him into a fast walk.

“Your optimism is not infectious,” Hideki said.

Kazuma chuckled.

“I don’t mind. You just need to do what I say.”

Hideki kicked broken twigs out of his way, and kept matching on.

Kazuma’s respect for Hideki grew another notch. Hideki didn’t complain again. He kept walking, keeping up with him, enough to cut down their journey to twenty minutes.

Kazuma was glad to hear the sound of cars racing along the main road.

“Sora,” Kazuma said, when they got to the side of the road.

“Stay put,” Sora said. “You should see our jeep coming at you any moment.”

Hideki sucked in air, shivering in the cool evening air.

Kazuma’s gaze returned to the tree line. He worried the two remaining hostiles were right behind them.

“Is that our ride?” Hideki asked, pointing to a black jeep speeding toward them.

“Yeah,” Kazuma’s gaze didn’t move from the tree line.

It was hard to see in the dark.

“Hideki stand behind me.”

“Why?”

Kazuma cursed when a muted gunshot rang through the air. The bullet bounced off a few feet from where he stood.

Hideki grabbed his arm when he started to shoot into the dark.

“They don’t want to hurt me,” Hideki said, moving to stand in front of him.

Kazuma wrapped his arms around Hideki and started to turn, but Hideki wouldn’t let him.

The jeep reached them. The back passenger door opened, and Kazuma picked up Hideki, and shoved him into the backseat.

He climbed in after Hideki and slammed the door closed.

The jeep’s driver took off, making a wide u-turn to join traffic.

Hideki sat up beside him, pushing fingers through his hair.

“What the fuck do you think you were doing back there?”

“Helping you,” Hideki said. “They wouldn’t have shot me.”

“What if they had?” Kazuma demanded. “What if they slipped and shot you, then what?”

“They didn’t,” Hideki sat back and crossed his arms against his chest. “I’m really tired. Can we not argue right now?”

“This is not an argument. I’m telling you right now, you will never use your body to block bullets again, Hyde.”

“I was protecting you.”

“I don’t need protecting, least of all from you.” Kazuma cursed and sat back too. He glanced at their driver to find him watching them with interest. “What are you looking at?”

The driver smiled and returned his gaze to the road.

The drive back to Kamakura was uneventful.

Kazuma felt relieved when they reached the Takada estate and the car stopped at the front door. He jumped out of the back passenger seat, and turned to help Hideki.

Hideki pushed his hand away and got out, walking into the house without glancing at him. They found Riku pacing by the staircase.

“You’re safe!” Riku said, rushing to Hideki.

Riku pulled his son into a tight hug, not caring that he would get mud on his suit.

Kazuma glanced at Phillip who stood leaning on the wall a few feet away.

“You okay?” Phillip asked.

“Fine,” Kazuma said with a shrug. “I shot one of them.”

“Thank you,” Riku said, still holding Hideki in his arms. “I about lost my head when I heard you two were lost in the woods.”

“We weren’t lost,” Hideki said, his voice muffled. “Kazuma was quite capable out there. He kept me safe. Dad, I need to shower, and get out of these clothes.”

Riku squeezed his son tight before he let him go. They all watched Hideki rush up the stairs.

“He never complains,” Riku said then, turning to look at Kazuma. “Thank you, Kazuma.”

“Doing my job, Sir,” Kazuma said.

“What were you doing out there? Why wasn’t Hideki in his office?”

Kazuma winced.

“We went to a warehouse to check merchandise he’d purchased—

“He went to see his mother, didn’t he?” Riku asked, his gaze narrowed. “I’ve asked him to stay away from her.”

Riku shook his head.

“I know who he buys merchandise from his half-sister. He tries to hide it, but it’s impossible. He’s my son, after all.”

“Sir,” Kazuma started to defend Hideki, but Phillip stopped him with a sharp nod.

“I don’t want him going to see his mother again,” Riku stated. “Do you understand me, Kazuma?”

Kazuma nodded.

“Yes, Sir,” he said.

“This is for his own good,” Riku said. “You should go and clean up too. I’m sure you’re tired. I’ll expect a thorough report tomorrow morning.”

Kazuma bowed his head and watched as Riku and Phillip headed to the study. Once again, Kazuma wondered why Riku didn’t want his son meeting his mother.

“Home safe?” Sora asked in his ear.

“Yes, thank you.”

“Good, I can take a break,” Sora said. “Call me when it’s absolutely necessary.”

Kazuma chuckled and turned off his earpiece. Removing the gadget, he slipped it into his pocket and climbed the stairs to the room he was borrowing in the Takada house. He needed a hot shower, a shot of gin, and sleep.

***

Hideki stood under the hot spray in his shower, eyes closed. The water felt good on his skin, cleansing. He braced his hands against the wall, and let out a long sigh. His thighs burned. The run through the forest had left him tired, and exhilarated. Strange when he should be afraid.

Someone wanted him badly enough to send his car sailing off the road and into the trees. If Kazuma hadn’t been there, he’d be kidnapped, or dead.

Hideki wiped a hand down his face, reached for his body wash and concentrated on washing away his latest ordeal. He was glad to see the scabs on his thigh had faded to white lines.

The scratch on his jaw was raw. He stared at it in the mirror and decided it was his newest badge. Touching it with his thumb, he left the bathroom and went to his closet to get a pair of pajama pants and a t-shirt. Tugging on his t-shirt, Hideki ran a hand through his damp hair, and walked barefoot to the windows to stare at the green houses visible over the trees.

He was too tired. God, he hoped Haru wouldn’t come tonight.

Hideki doubted the story would reach the news. They’d been out of the city. The accident would seem like another drunk driver losing control on the road. Hideki wondered if the driver had been saved.

A soft knock on his door had him turning. He wasn’t surprised to see Kazuma step in to his bedroom.

Hideki leaned his back on the windows, his gaze on Kazuma.

“You took a shower,” he said, noting Kazuma’s wet hair. “Did you get hurt anywhere?”

Kazuma shook his head and kept walking toward him. Kazuma looked relaxed in a green sweater and grey sweats, his feet in sandals.

Hideki hadn’t seen Kazuma dressed down this way before.

“You shaved too.” Hideki noted when Kazuma stopped in front of him. He reached up to touch Kazuma’s smooth jaw. Dark eyes studied him in turn.

“Did you put ointment on this?” Kazuma asked, touching the scratch on his cheek.

Hideki nodded and dropped his hand away from Kazuma’s jaw.

“I feel like it was all a dream.” Hideki turned to stare out the windows again. “Running through the forest, it all seems so surreal.”

Kazuma placed warm hands on his shoulders and Hideki closed his eyes. Hideki leaned back against Kazuma, and was rewarded with Kazuma wrapping his arms around his shoulders.

“You’re safe,” Kazuma murmured.

“I’m sorry I annoyed you earlier,” Hideki said, staring at their reflection in the windows.

Kazuma pressed a kiss on his shoulder.

“Are you hungry?”

Hideki smiled and turned his head slightly to look at Kazuma.

“You want to talk about food?”

“You’ll be surprised how a hot meal will fix all problems.”

Kazuma started to step back, and Hideki reached up to hold Kazuma’s arms in place.

“Aoki-san is on her way with the food.”

“She’s seen worse,” Hideki said.

Kazuma pressed a kiss on his jaw and let him go.

“I still don’t want her to see me holding you. I’m supposed to be working.”

“So?” Hideki asked.

Kazuma took his hand and led him to a couch a few feet away.

He dropped on to the comfortable cushions.

“We need to talk about this,” Hideki said, when Kazuma chose to sit on the furthest side of the couch. Placing distance he didn’t understand between them. “You were just hugging me a minute ago. What are you doing so far away? You blow hot and cold. I’m getting whiplash.”

Kazuma chuckled, tilting his head back in amusement.

“I’m the one who should be complaining. The last time I kissed you, you told me you’d never let me near you again.”

“That wasn’t what I said,” Hideki scoffed. “I said I wouldn’t let the kiss happen again.”

“Well, it happened this afternoon, didn’t it?”

Hideki stared at Kazuma.

“I haven’t made up my mind whether to be angry about it yet.”

“Well, that’s why I’m sitting over here.”

“Because I won’t make up my mind?” Hideki asked.

“Because,” Kazuma said, settling back. “You’re the one who’s blowing hot and cold.”

Hideki shook his head.

“You’re confusing me.”

“Am I?”

“Kazu,” Hideki said, his tone whining.

Kazuma laughed.

Hideki found that he liked Kazuma’s laugh. It made him smile.

A soft knock came, and the door opened. Aoki came in carrying a large tray. Kazuma got to his feet before Hideki could move and took the tray from her. He brought it to the coffee table in front of the couch.

Aoki studied Hideki’s face as she arranged the steaming bowls of Hayashi Rice.

“I heard you were running in the forest,” she said.

Hideki nodded, and touched the scratch on his cheek.

“Visiting Naoki?” she asked.

He stared at her, and then nodded.

“Your father is livid.”

Hideki frowned and turned to Kazuma who’d sat down on the couch, rubbing his hands together as he stared at the food.

“Did you tell him?”

“He knows where you go out there,” Aoki answered for Kazuma. “It’s no secret.”

Hideki scowled.

“The attack wasn’t her fault.”

Aoki shrugged.

Hideki ignored her and instead reached for his spoon. His stomach growled in anticipation and Kazuma chuckled beside him.

“Someone’s eager,” Kazuma said.

“I’ll leave you two,” Aoki said with a small wave.

Hideki frowned at the little smile she wore as she closed the door.

“You know, this day started with both of us at the dining table,” Kazuma pointed out as Hideki took a bite of his food.

Hideki ate in silence, suddenly realizing how hungry he was. All that running in the woods, with thoughts of dying, or Kazuma getting shot, leaving him helpless…had him starving.

“Slow down,” Kazuma said. “You’re going to choke.”

Hideki put his spoon in his bowl.

“You know what I don’t get?”

“What?”

“Yesterday, they threw fire bombs on my car. Tried to burn us when we ran for safety,” Hideki said, using his spoon to demonstrate his point. “Today, they all but run us off the road. We could have died you know.”

“They want you,” Kazuma said. “They’ll do what they must to get you. I’m afraid the next time we won’t get off so easy.”

“The next time, shoot them all,” Hideki said, digging into his rice, though he caught Kazuma’s amused smile.

When they finished eating, Kazuma moved to take the dishes back.

“Stay,” Hideki said afraid Kazuma would leave him alone.

“I should take the tray outside,” Kazuma said.

Hideki yawned and moved to his large bed. Pushing the covers back, he slipped between the sheets. He got his cell phone from his bedside table and checked his messages. Haru was still at his shop, he was asking if it would be fine to come over late. Hideki wrote Haru a message telling him to visit in the morning instead.

Kazuma came back a few minutes later and Hideki placed his cell phone on the bedside table. He watched Kazuma lock the door and he lifted a brow in question.

“I’ve come in here more than once when you’re sleeping,” Kazuma said, taking slow steps to the bed. “You asked me to stay?”

Hideki nodded and patted the empty space beside him.

Kazuma went to the left side of the bed and sat on the edge.

Hideki watched him hesitate for a moment, before he slid his feet between the sheets, shifting until he too leaned on the headboard.

Hideki smiled and moved closer. He laid his head on Kazuma’s shoulder.

“Is this okay?” Kazuma asked.

“Is what okay?” Hideki asked, getting comfortable.

“You and me, here on this bed,” Kazuma said. “Haru—

“Please don’t think about Haru.”

Kazuma thought about the night Haru warned him away.

“Are you two…?”

“No,” Hideki said then. “Haru wants to, I see it in his eyes, but I—

“You what?” Kazuma asked.

“I—,” Hideki lifted his head to meet Kazuma’s gaze. “It isn’t easy to express what you make me feel.” With a short grin, he said, “hot and cold.”

Kazuma wrapped his right arm around Hideki.

“I’m tired.” Hideki closed his eyes, taking in Kazuma’s warm woodsy scent.

“Sleep then,” Kazuma said.

“Don’t leave,” Hideki warned.

He was afraid Kazuma would leave him after he fell asleep.

“I promise.”

Hideki sighed and slid into sleep, head resting against Kazuma’s chest.

***

Lee Suilan,2015
  • Like 19
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like this one alot. Kazu has to find out what is up with the mom. Why does Riku want him away from her? I dont think she wants him hurt but could it be something in his past. Yui is adorable. I don't think he should count the friends out as possibly letting out info without realizing it maybe. It is strange they have no idea who this could be after them. No info about the people caught belonging to one group or another? What is dad's shady past? We know little about the third friend. Man, the transportation costs must be very high for the family this year. lol i'd like to know a bit more about what Kazu's history is...great story. I feel like you've kept it moving fast and I like that.

Link to comment
On 08/07/2015 04:18 PM, Cannd said:

I like this one alot. Kazu has to find out what is up with the mom. Why does Riku want him away from her? I dont think she wants him hurt but could it be something in his past. Yui is adorable. I don't think he should count the friends out as possibly letting out info without realizing it maybe. It is strange they have no idea who this could be after them. No info about the people caught belonging to one group or another? What is dad's shady past? We know little about the third friend. Man, the transportation costs must be very high for the family this year. lol i'd like to know a bit more about what Kazu's history is...great story. I feel like you've kept it moving fast and I like that.

haha...you're right about transport, the cost is mad..lolz. Yeah, this story is a fast one, not lingering at all. I'm glad you enjoy it. Kazu and Hyde, a little satire for someone I know. ^^

Link to comment

There's definitely something more which is not yet revealed between Riku and his ex-wife. I think even Hideki is unaware of some facts about his parents. I'm glad Kazu and Hyde were back home, safe and sound. The romantic end of this chapter was endearing. And does Jin knows about strange relationship between Hideki and Haru as he's that close to both of them then he must have his suspicions. As usual, you did a great job with this chapter, Sui; the intrigue, the romance, the tension were all in perfect proportions in here:)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/18/2015 10:18 PM, sacredlove said:

There's definitely something more which is not yet revealed between Riku and his ex-wife. I think even Hideki is unaware of some facts about his parents. I'm glad Kazu and Hyde were back home, safe and sound. The romantic end of this chapter was endearing. And does Jin knows about strange relationship between Hideki and Haru as he's that close to both of them then he must have his suspicions. As usual, you did a great job with this chapter, Sui; the intrigue, the romance, the tension were all in perfect proportions in here:)

Hyde's past, Kazuma's past, everyone has something haunting them. So, I'm wondering how they'll manage to stay together. ^_^

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..