Jump to content
    LJCC
  • Author
  • 368 Words
  • 313 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Please be advised that this story deals heavily with the subject of depression, suicide, and the mention of drugs.
If any part/parts of the story are triggering, please reach out to your nearest suicide or health crisis hotline.
Thank you.

Desafinado: Slightly Out Of Tune - Prologue. PROLOGUE:

AND SO IT BEGINS...


I've yelled "fuck you" so many damn times, hoping for someone to yell it back and chuck the same rock I've thrown into the ocean countless times.

The silence can be deafening and even drive you crazy.

But there I was, sitting on the beach, half-drunk and a little tipsy, dangling my San Mig Light on the side where nobody wandered.

I asked the water if it could grant me a wish.

A prayer to bring me someone or something I could hold onto and never let go.

I chuckled at the thought of some creature randomly popping out of this body of water; I'd probably bolt outta here like a bat outta hell.

I may be tough as nails, but ghosts and people sneaking up on me freak me the fuck out.

Surprises?

No thanks.

Then my phone beeped.

Amidst the crashing waves lulling me to sleep, I managed to gather some semblance of consciousness to do an online transaction and pay for tomorrow's shipment of fish and meat.

UBS Investment Swiss Bank, Ellison. Account Info.

I stared at the screen.

I have a whopping $4,705,350,221 sitting in my personal bank account.

I've never touched that money.

I never laid a finger on it, and I have no plans to either.

It's tied to my grandpa's trust fund, and if I touch that cash, it means I gotta accept his terms and conditions.

No fuckin' way.

But with my debts looming, that money's starting to look mighty tempting.

Half the time, I have no clue what having all that money even means.

Most of the time, I think about giving it away to the poor, maybe funding a revolution somewhere, and taking out a dictator to save the world.

Or maybe I'll just buy a private island and live there butt-naked for shits and giggles.

And when I'm drowning my sorrows in booze, wondering where the hell everything leads, and if there's some grand purpose to it all, you can bet your ass I'll be drunkenly crying my eyes out.

I chucked another rock into the ocean, wiped my eyes, and asked, "Is there something more to all this shit?"



 

p style="text-align:center;"> Terms of Reference:
  • San Miguel Beer Light: A brand of beer manufactured in the Philippines. It has a light, reduced-calorie lager with an exceptionally smooth and crispy taste. It is less filling and light on the stomach. Alcohol Content: 5%.
Copyright © 2024 LJCC; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

no joke, damien sounded like a guy i dated after college. the whole broey angsty narration is very on brand. im really excited for this story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..