Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 4,581 Words
  • 1,251 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Water - 2. Life and Death

Geminy, age 13

A year had passed since DJMhynz, Inc. swept away the competition at the last art contest. Dillon had entered a painting again this year, so had Gem, but the awards were being given out on Gem's birthday this year and they didn't go. They were having a party at the dormer. Kymble was there, being invited by Dillon himself, he couldn't resist. Dillon brought Gem a drink and, trusting his lover explicitly, he swallowed it all. When he came to, Kymble and Dillon were both there and he hurt all over.

"I'm sorry I had to do this to you, but you are so particular about your body, I knew you would have never agreed. You are marked as required." Dillon was nervous, he was supposed to get permission to mark, but he didn't.

"Here is the rest of it." Kymble held out an earring. "It's for your protection, Gem. It's your destiny. I didn't understand that when you were five, but I hadn't come into my own yet then. Dillon did what he had to do. Don't be too angry with him, I like the tattoo."

"You tattooed me? Where? With what?"

"On your shoulder, it's twin circles, one black the other yellow, red, green, and white. Inside is a wave in blue. Do you like the earring?"

"Yeah, but my ear's not pierced." Kymble laughed...

"That's easy, give it here." Gem handed over the earring and Kymble lit a needle red hot with a lighter then stabbed it through the cartilage at the top of Gem's left ear. He put the hoop in and closed it. "Now it is. Geminy, only those who will help you can see the earring. Can you see this?" Kymble held out his wrist and Gem saw the blue tattoo around it.

"When did you get that?"

"I've had it since you were little. Dillon has one too." Gem looked at Dillon and he did.

"So now what?"

"I don't know. We just live life like always and see what develops."

Geminy, age 14

Geminy was in his room and hadn't come out for days. Jondea was beginning to get really worried, so she called Kym at work, they had always been close, and maybe he could help.

"Kym, Geminy has locked himself in his room and won't come out. All mom will say is that boy's always been strange so let him be. And dad seems to think he'll come out when he's hungry enough. Kym it's been two days."

"Has Dillon been over?"

"No, or anyone else for that matter."

"I'll be there as soon as I can. Don't let anyone near his room."

"Okay." Kymble walked back into his meeting and told everyone he had a family emergency and had to go. No one opposed him and he was gone. Kym's first thought was Gem had snuck out one of the windows and was at Dillon's place, so he went there before going home. When he reached the house, something just didn't feel right. He knocked but no one answered. He turned the knob, but it wasn't locked. He went in and the living room was empty, but there was talking coming from the kitchen.

"Hello." Kym called out and Duncan poked his head out the door.

"Kymble, where's Geminy? He's not answering the phone and we don't dare go to your house."

"I don't know. I was hoping he would be here. What's going on?" Everyone was dressed in black and there were tears.

"Dillon is dead." The words sunk in and Kym felt himself shaking with grief... The lover of his brother. They had been together for almost three years, longer than any of his relationships lasted.

"How?" He managed the word.

"He went home to celebrate his brother's commitment ceremony. It's like a wedding, and there was some sort of violence, Shane, Dillon's brother, was killed, as was Shane's partner, James, Dillon, and four others. The funeral is day after tomorrow in California. We are all going and wanted Gem to come to. We already arranged his passage."

"Can I go to? Don't worry bout the money." He pulled out his credit card. A ticket to California would max it out, but he didn't care.

"Kym, we can afford it... Go get Gem and meet us at the airport." Duncan was calm and serious, so Kym put it away.

"I'll go with you, if it's OK." Ameka, a fifteen-year-old girl, was one of the newest members of the group and worshipped the ground Gem walked on. Kym nodded. Ameka followed hem out the door and to his car. Thirty minutes later, they were arriving home.

"Ameka, my family doesn't know about my brother and Dillon. They wouldn't understand if they did." The girl nodded.

"It's OK, my family is the same way. Only my brother knows I like girls as well as boys. He's the one who helped me get a room at the house."

"Who's your brother?"

"Duncan." Kym nodded. It made sense. Jondea was waiting by the door as they climbed the steps.

"I'm so glad you came, Kym. The door's locked, how are you going to get in?"

"I have a spare key." Jondea was confused... Not even their mother had a spare key. He was up the steps with Ameka on his heels. When he reached the door, he placed his hand against the door above the lock and turned the knob. "See, spare key." He laughed, as did Ameka, when the door opened on it's own. Geminy was naked, covered in paint, sitting on a messy mat staring at a painting.

"I wondered how long it would take them to call you." Tears stained his face and grief stained his voice. "Dillon's gone. Dead." Kymble looked at his brother and didn't know what to say. Ameka looked at him and tears started in her eyes. She pulled off her T-shirt and began pulling off her jeans when Kymble noticed what she was doing. When she was naked, she whispered to Kym.

"I've watched a whole house grieve, I might be better at this than you." Kym nodded and sat in the chair at the desk. She walked over to where Gem was sitting and sat behind him, wrapping her arms around him, holding him close to her. "Tell me about him, the Dillon you alone knew." Gem started talking and tears started flowing again. She rocked him and he talked. She saw the painting he must have recently finished... It was of Dillon, the vibrant, erotic Dillon Geminy alone knew.

Kym was crying for his brother's loss. Then Ameka started to kiss Gem's neck and stroke his hair, whispering words to him. Gem allowed himself to respond to her, knowing she wasn't Dillon, yet knowing Dillon would understand. The paint made everything slippery and Ameka was so demanding as a lover Gem's grief broke as Ameka demanded his full attention. Kymble couldn't believe his eyes, she was seducing his brother in front of him , and he could do nothing but watch. No one even noticed it was Dillon's name Gem called out when he released. When he caught his breath, he looked at Ameka in both shock and wonder.

"Ameka? When did you get here?"

"I came with Kymble. You were in shock and needed to be brought out of it. Are you hungry?"

"Starved." Kymble walked over to them, both shamelessly naked in the sunlight.

"I think you should both have a shower before you worry about eating. I'll go down and fix some sandwiches. You might want to pack, we have a plane to catch." The bathroom was at the bottom of the steps. Kym lead the way down, more to distract Jondea than anything else. Gem and Ameka shared the shower and headed back upstairs to dress.

"What's going on?"

"Do you remember Dillon, his friend?"

"Yeah, he's been here a few times."

"He died two days ago. He was only seventeen. Gem took it badly." Jondea looked confused...

"So who was the girl?"

"Oh, her name is Ameka, and I think you will be seeing more of her in the near future. I have to go out of town on business and I'm going to take Gem with me.. He needs to get away for a while I think. Let mom and dad know."

"You know they don't keep track of him like they should. They probably didn't know he had been in his room for two days." Kym laughed.

"Don't I know it." Gem and Ameka came down, Gem had a large painting shaped package with him. Kym arched his brow and Ameka shrugged. "Here's the sandwiches. Are you ready?" They nodded. Gem carried the package and Ameka had a small bag and Gem's laptop. She was dressed in black, he was dressed in shades of blue. Kym stopped by his apartment to grab some clothes and call his boss. This was going to take a couple days he was sure. "Family emergency, death in the family. Brother-in-law... Being buried in CA, USA. Flight leaves in a couple of hours. See you in a week." Then they were on their way to the airport. Duncan met them in the terminal.

"Glad to see you found him. It wouldn't be the same without him there. I brought your things Ameka, they're already on the plane. Ah, Geminy, you brought a painting. Wonderful, Dillon's family will be glad for it. Some of the others brought things as well, but yours will mean the most, I'm sure." Duncan was leading them past the check in and down the corridor to the terminal. "They are with our party." He told the stewardess. "We are all here now, so we can take off at the pilot's leisure." She nodded. They found their way to the jet... It had been chartered. "I didn't tell you about this before Kym because Gem didn't want you to know."

"I knew, but he didn't know I knew. I discovered his business on his twelfth birthday." Duncan nodded.

"Do you know how much?" Kym shook his head. "DJM, Inc.. is worth several million, GK, Ent is worth almost a million by itself. All legal: art, computer design, virus cracking. Dillon had a will because of his shares. I know his art goes to Gem."

"I've only ever seen two of his paintings." Duncan nodded. "Sapphire Dream and Jade Dawn."

"They were good. Gem has both the originals, but Dillon could paint almost as good as Gem, and there were several more, all featuring Gem as the model. You should hear some of the things they say at the Gallery. They thought Dillon painted himself into each of the paintings, at least they did until Gem had to go on a trip with his art survey class and they put the connection together. We had a hard time convincing the art department they couldn't afford his fee." They had sat down at the opposite end of the plane from Gem. "How did you find him? He looks rough." Kymble explained what had happened. "You mean she seduced him?" Kym nodded. "I don't think I would have thought of doing that. Wow." Kym looked at his brother who was asleep with his head cradled in Ameka's lap. Two other guys were close to him, their attitude reminded him of watchdogs. Their presence kept those around him quiet. He was surrounded by people who loved him because he was who he was, not what he would become.

Seemingly forever later, the plane touched down in CA. Gem had slept almost the entire time while Kym got to know his brother's chosen family. They took turns holding him in his grief when he woke up screaming, or crying, or calling out for Dillon. Crying with him, crying for his loss, crying for their own loss, his friends comforted him. Gem was pale and red eyed as they got off the plane. Duncan arranged for a van and several cars. They had hotel arrangements made previously. They had reserved a couple suites figuring they would figure out sleeping arrangements later. The addition of Kymble only meant someone else would have to double up.

It was a busy city, but Duncan found the address. He had brought Geminy with him to meet Dillon's family, and Geminy brought the painting, the last painting he would ever do of Dillon. They stopped at a gate that blocked the drive. A young man came out to meet the car, and he didn't look too happy to see them.

"Who ever you are you can leave. This isn't a tourist attraction."

"I have something for Mr. & Mrs. Forrest." The young man looked at Geminy, then Duncan. "I think my mate would have wanted his parents to have it." The young man nodded.

"You're from Australia?" Duncan nodded. "We got your telegram. Come on up." The gates opened and Duncan drove in. At the head of the driveway, he stopped the car and Gem got out. Duncan held the painting and let Gem get control of himself. Another man greeted them from the steps.

"Hullo. Which of you sent the telegram?"

"I did." Duncan responded. "I'm Duncan O'Conner." Duncan's Irish brogue was Australian accented.

"Then you must be Geminy Milburn." Gem nodded.

"I am he."

"I see you are. Come on in. I'm Austin Forest, Dillon was my brother."

"You favor him. I feel your loss." Gem was barely holding himself in check.

"I see you do, brother." Austin was serious. They stopped in an open and airy room, everything was draped in black, including the woman sitting in the rocker by the cold hearth. "Momma, this is Geminy Milburn, the one Dillon was telling us about." The woman looked up at Gem and he lost the tenuous control he had. He went over to her and knelt in front of her, placing his head in her lap, sobbing.

"I grieve for your loss, he was my friend." Mrs. Forest didn't know what to do, never had a stranger acted this way. Austin went to pull Geminy away from his mother, but Duncan held him back.

"Let them grieve." Austin nodded. She touched his hair, smoothing it down.

"No, Geminy, he was more than your friend. We all know. You don't have to hide it here." He looked up at her, tears were streaming down her cheeks. "We all know little one, Dillon was your lover, he loved you, and you love him. His last words were of you. I hated you for it until now." Gem was shaking, "but now I see why he loved you, and I can't help but to love you for it as well." She wrapped her arms around the boy her son loved. " he wanted us to accept you and tell you he loved you. He wanted you to know you never ceased to amaze him in your lust for life. Let it out little one, you have a rough challenge ahead. Dillon made us swear that you be allowed to preside over his funeral. We didn't know how to reach you, but you came to us, just as he said you would." They stayed like that for quite a long time. Mr. Forest had arrived and several other family members. The other guys from the dormer had arrived, they had given Gem and hour head start to have some private time with the family first. Gem raised his head and remembered the painting. He pulled away from Dillon's mother.

"I brought something for you, something to remember Dillon by." Duncan handed him the cardboard wrapped painting, which Gem carefully unwrapped. "I did this as an expression of... Well, after I felt his death. For his family and friends, and sons he would never have." It was a portrait of Dillon at sunset, the colors of the sky dominated the picture in the bold jewel tones Dillon loved to paint. Gem's trademark, the ocean, was in the foreground this time and was interplayed by Dillon's trademark, the dolphin. Dillon was the sun. For the first time ever, Gem painted himself into one of his paintings... He was in the ocean, bathed in the sky colors. He signed it In Memory, for Dillon, with love, Geminy Kriket.

"Oh!" Was all his mother said and she started crying again. Austin went to her side this time and when he caught sight of the painting, he started crying as well. Gem almost dropped the painting, but Kymble caught it while Duncan caught him. No one was immune to the passion captured in the painting, and soon everyone was crying.

"They don't like it." Gem was confused.

"No, Gem, they love it. This is a good cry. A cry they all needed." Dillon's father pulled a chair to the fireplace, then he took on it and pulled down the painting that was hanging there. He motioned for Kym, who handed up the painting. When he finished hanging it he went over to Gem.

"Thank you son, it's beautiful." Gem managed a smile.

"It's Dillon."

"Yes it is. I'm Dillon's father, and you're all we heard about for the past three years. I'm sorry we had to meet like this, I was hoping for quite different circumstances."

"Yeah, me too." He had control again. Mr. Forest saw a young man in front of him who had a very tight control on his emotions. It was hard to believe this was the same person Dillon hadn't shut up about for a week before the incident and for the four minutes he lived after the shooting. Shane had died instantly, as had James, but Dillon hung on to make sure they knew what to say to this boy.

"Dillon wanted you to plan his funeral, he said it was your right and you would know how to shock us. He said he wanted to be buried 'dressed like Gem whenever I painted him'. His exact words." Gem laughed and everyone stared. "If you just let us know what you need, we'll see to it it's found."

"I'm going to need some things all right. Have you purchased the coffin?" He shook his head.

"I respect my son's wishes and leave it all to you." Gem laughed.... He knew how to shock them all right.

"Duncan, guys, I'm going to need some help... Smitty, you know what Dillon used to paint me with right? How he prepared me?" Smitty nodded. "Get the stuff, and I'm going to need a messy mat, a black one." He turned to Mr. Forest, "where is an art supply, and a hardware store?" Then without waiting for an answer, he turned back to his mates, " and I'm going to need some silk or satin in sapphire and white." Mr. Forest grinned to himself... This was the Geminy he heard about. " I guess I should go and talk to the funeral director."

"I can take you." Austin offered. Gem nodded and they were off. Shock them. If Dillon wanted shocking then he would get it.

Gem had been in with the director for half an hour before the director slammed the door and stormed out, "I will not have the dead desecrated like that!"

"It's his choice, and my decision." Gem yelled after him. "Just have him ready for me tomorrow at nine. I'll be here with the law if necessary!"

"Mr. Forest... Austin, why does this child want to embarrass your brother in his death?"

"My brother was a homosexual artist living with and making love to this child before he died. He requested Gem 'shock' my mother out of grief. What ever he wants my father has agreed. Do it." The director stood stock-still and nodded. Then he faced Gem and said:

"He will be as you request by nine." Gem nodded and they walked out.

"What did you say to him to get him so worked up?"

"Austin, have you ever seen any of your brother's more provocative paintings?" He shook his head no. "Really? Have you ever seen any of mine?" No again. "Do you like art?"

"I guess so. I've never seen a painting like the one you did of Dillon. I liked that." Gem pulled out his laptop and punched in some things...

"Do you know where Le'Art is?" Austin nodded. "Take me there." They rode in silence.

"Here we are, but they won't let you in."

"Austin, do you know why Dillon wanted me to shock your family?" A shake. "Because you say... They won't let you and I say try and stop me. Money isn't everything... You have to love and you have to feel. To do that you must allow yourself to be hurt. Now come with me." Gem walked up to the front door where the bouncer was. Le'art was an art gallery that showed material the city determined sexually explicit or on the edge of pornographic, so there was a law about parental guidance. "Hello, would you tell Mr. Aventon that Geminy Kriket is here to view the exhibition."

"Jimeney Cricket huh? And who is with you Dumbo?" Gem just looked at him like he expected him to move. Then when he didn't he pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number.

"Mr. Aventon, please. Hello, Bill, this is GK.. Hey, I'm standing outside Le'Art and this thug won't let me in. His name? What's your name? Larry. I don't have much time, so please hurr..." The door opened and Mr. Aventon was standing there.

"Geminy, I wish I knew you were coming and I could have warned Larry here."

"It's OK, I just decided while I was in town.. My friend here never saw a Dillon. I know you have a few if you haven't sold them yet."

"Oh, yes. We have several Dillon originals and quite a variety in reproductions. Is there one that interests you in particular?" They were walking down a hall lined with paintings of nude men and women in various poses.

"No, not in particular." They were facing a Dillon. "This is a reproduction of Sapphire Dream." Gem watched Austin's face as he recognized him in the painting.

"I see, you do know a Dillon." Bill whispered, "You are his model." Gem nodded and walked over to Jade Dawn.

"Was his model, Dillon died three days ago. His funeral is tomorrow at noon at the Rock Garden." Austin was in awe of his brother's ability and powerful portrayal of Gem's essence. "I rarely painted with a model. Dillon always used one, me. Austin, this is Rose in Bloom, I hated this one, but the people love it, and here is Ruby Sunset, there are others. Oh, I see you have some of mine too." Gem walked over to a painting, one of his first. "I hadn't met your brother when I painted this one. See the difference in it from this one? Here we were lovers. The strokes are different. I was more confident, more sure of myself." Bill excused himself and went to make several phone calls. Austin was enchanted...

"I didn't know he was so talented. He sent us home pieces, but they were not of you. He thought mom would like them better I guess, but she would love these." Gem nodded.

"If you think your mother would like these, then she will like the funeral."

"How did he get the color so..."

"Stuck to me looking?" Gem blushed. "We would mix various compounds and pour it over my head on a messy mat. Then he would place me how and where he wanted me. To get the color in Ruby he painted my face and some body parts first with the darker shade then poured the lighter one over my head."

"What about your clothes?"

"I was nude in all of them."

"Oh."

"To get some of the effects he wrapped me in silk or satin. The guys would tease me sometimes for days afterwards, but it was a good-natured teasing. You can come here and see them anytime. I'll have the complete series sent to you in reproduction, free of charge. We need to plan Dillon's exit." They exited and drove home in silence. Gem got out of Austin's car and got into Duncan's rental. They drove back to the hotel where the others were assembling supplies.

"What exactly are you doing, Gem?"

"I'm only going to do to Dillon what he did to me every time he painted me. I'm going to need six guys to be pole bearers. You should be one. Jade I think."

"You're going to paint us aren't' you?"

"Yep, a living canvas in honor of the artist."

"I'm in. What did you want with the wood?"

"We're going to build Dillon a coffin. Law says he can be buried in a pine box and that's what he's getting. A pine box. I can't see spending all that money on a coffin when he lived such a plain existence. An existence he built for himself. So, we're going to build it for him... His brother, Austin, should be invited to join us if he wants. Shane's funeral is being planned by the family and is a joint effort with James' funeral. It is at ten o'clock and Dillon's is at noon. The other four were guests and were buried yesterday and this morning." Gem spent the entire night planning and building, by dawn it was finished. Everyone helped including Austin, who agreed to be Rose. At nine o'clock Gem began preparations on Dillon. The bullet wound had to be concealed, but other than that, it was simple enough. The hurst came back to get him and Gem was ready. The grave was a mile from the church, and the guys decided they would walk it instead of riding in the limo. There was no church service, but it was a convenient place to unload. Shane and James had a church service, but everyone was still graveside and it was ridiculous to make everyone come back here when a better impression could be made if they waited there. The six bore the weight with Gem in the lead. Each was covered in a different color form head to toe with cream based body paints. A second layer of paint was poured over their heads and ran in rivulets down their skin pooling at their bare feet as they walked. Each wore only enough silk or satin to cover his manhood and even it was dyed to match. They made the impression Gem wanted and Dillon requested. They were solemn, and reverent, but a tribute was being paid that few in the family would understand. Gem's side trip to Le'Art proved fruitful and there were many people there who understood what Gem's statement was. The news footage hit CNN, but the paint hid the boys' features enough no one could tell exactly who they were, only they honored on of their own. Later Gem told Austin,

"A life lived in obscurity should remain that way, triumph anonymously and flaunt it. They knew the artist known as GK was there, but they couldn't pick out which he was. They knew the artist known as Dillon was there, and they couldn't help but noticing his passing, but his features would always remain obscured.

Copyright © 2010 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..