Jump to content
    Marco Polo
  • Author
  • 1,475 Words
  • 743 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Otherworld: Station One. - 1. Winter 1

Short, but will eventually get longer, Thanks to Nephylim for the note's and the editing, and well everything. She is AMAZING.

Go into the sand, and the dust, and the sky
Go now, there's no better plan, than to do or to die
Free me, pray to the fayth in the face of the light
Feed me, fill me with sin, and get ready to fight

 

 

The mist was rolling in from the hills and I watched with increased interest as time passed by and the trees dotted along the landscape slowly disappeared. I lifted my wrist and wiped the condensation off the face of my watch.

“Eleven….” I murmured. There was a dull whisper of traffic behind me, and an irritating buzzing sound I had grown used to. Sometimes it was soft like fingers across the back of my hand, other times it was so loud that every other sound became fuzzy and distorted, as if someone was tuning into a radio station but not quite getting there.

My conscience was telling me that I should be at school. But winter caused me to act sporadically, on whatever whim I caught. Plus, I couldn’t stand history anymore. The class was driving me insane, and on a Wednesday morning? Two words ‘fuck’ and ‘off’.

And last but not least I was at the football field because I felt a calling. I know stupid right? So far, this ‘calling’ or whatever, was turning into a waste of time. I dropped the cigarette from my lips and crushed it beneath my heel.

What did I expect? Something magical? Or perhaps adventurous? Who cares anyway?

I bent down, picked up a stone from the ground, and rubbed it between my fingers. It was rounded, and smooth, the colour of finished wood. I threw it hard against one of the steel fences surrounding the field and it hit with a satisfying clunk.

I sighed and started off in the direction of the school. The streets were cold and every single tree was naked. I watched with amusement as the air left my mouth and became mist.

My school wasn’t exactly known for its warm and friendly atmosphere. I’m sure anyone coming in would take note of the large iron gates and the padlocks hanging loosely from them and feel unsettled.

I for one had come to the conclusion that the students were being corralled like sheep and then locked inside, like a prison.

As I stood in front of the gates, I felt that inexplicable pull back to the field. I shrugged it off and pushed the gate open, watching pointlessly as specks of rust slowly wound their way downwards.

I had missed most of history so I figured that I’d get some studying done in the library. There were a few people outside of classes, wandering around aimlessly and I said hi to some but disregarded the rest.

The library was about forty years old, making it the oldest building on campus. It was two stories high, made out of red bricks with the exception of the far wall that was comprised completely of glass.

Regardless of where you sat in there, you could see the valley behind the school and judge the weather as it trolled it’s way over the hills. As such, when I entered I was a little startled to see the mist from before leaking its way around and into the school grounds.

“Moved fast.” I muttered.

There were collectives of students huddled around small tables, whispering to each other.

I artfully wound my way around each of the groups and sat myself down in one of the bright red armchairs towards the back. I thought about getting out one of my text books, but I ditched that idea to sit and watch the enveloping mist.

It calmed me and I could almost feel it bathe me like soft delicate fingers running along my skin. I closed my eyes and listened to the ringing, it had slowly turned from the sound of a school bell to a small sweet ringing that could lull me to sleep if I wasn’t careful.

“Eli…?” the voice was just as sweet as the ringing and I smiled. “Eli, are you o.k?”

I sighed and cracked open my eyes. She was a pretty girl with short brown hair and a second-hand smile she had gotten from her mother. “Sure.” I replied.

I sat up and scratched my chin absently. “What can I do for you Mel?” she shifted uncomfortably.

“Um… nothing…” she said meekly. I snorted.

“Oh I’m sure…what’s the matter?” she stared at me for a moment, probably contemplating whether she should walk away or not, she does that a lot, like middle of conversation she’ll just wander off. It can be… annoying.

“You don’t feel strange?” she asked quietly, so I couldn’t be sure that I had heard her correctly.

“Strange... strange how?” after all, her strange could be different to my strange.

She shrugged and stared out the window, lost for a moment. I followed her gaze and I thought it was interesting that she was looking in the direction of the football field…

“Just, strange.” I didn’t get the chance to agree as she turned with her things and walked out of the library.

Yes, I did feel strange.

I studied the reflection in the window for a moment and grunted as I stood with my bag and followed Mel. It wasn’t till I had reached the front door that I realized something.

The library was quiet.

 

I glanced over my shoulder and saw that every student was staring out the window.

“What the fuck…” I wondered aloud. What was going on? I pushed the door open and bolted out , stopping at the entrance.

Glancing both left and right I couldn’t see Mel anywhere. In fact, It was getting harder to see anything at all and the ringing in my ears had grown to the sound of a church bell, everything else was just white noise now.

I took a breath and closed my eyes relying on gut instincts that pointed me back where I had come from that morning.

I stepped down off the stairs and calmly walked towards the back gate, my body cutting through the mist like it was melted butter. It clung to my skin, no longer like soft fingers, more like coarse wet hands grabbing hold of whatever parts they could.

And it was quiet, my footsteps didn’t even make a sound, every human sense had become blinded or muffled, taste evaded my tongue, burning nothing permeated through my nose, and shifting white blanketed my eyes.

“Mel!” I called, at least that’s what I tried to say, I couldn’t even hear myself talk.

A glimmer of darkness flashed in the distance and I sprinted after it. Not even knowing if it was her or something else. I rounded the corner of a classroom and started to slide. I stuck out a hand and steadied myself on one of the teachers’ cars. Every time I tried to take a step I slid a little more.

I lifted a foot and glanced at the sole. “Gross…” I whispered. there was something black and sticky clinging to the surface. I ran a finger along the edge of my shoe and brought the black stuff up to my eyes.

“What the…”

As I rubbed it between my finger and thumb it slowly started to evaporate and then, it was gone. I tried to see what was on the ground but the mist was too thick.

Chills ran the length of my body as I felt a touch on my shoulder. I turned slowly and sighed in relief as Mel’s face appeared through the white.

Her mouth was moving but I couldn’t hear anything, just the ringing. I pointed to my ears and shook my head.

She raised an eyebrow and said something. I rolled my eyes and pointed again, how many times did I have to say it?

She half smiled for a moment, then it faded. She opened the bag at her side that I had failed to notice earlier and pulled out a notebook, scribbled something on it, and then held it up for me.

“What’s going on?”

I shrugged and glanced out to the school gates, where I was heading. I turned back to Mel and held out my hand. She stared at it blankly.

I growled, atleast I tried to and pointed at the book in her hands. She smiled sheepishly and passed it over with the pen. I took it and scribbled for a moment.

“Football Field.” Mel mouthed whilst reading from the book I was holding. I nodded and pointed in its direction. She frowned a moment before nodding back at me and grabbing my arm. With her at my side we made our way towards the feeling of something new.

So let me know what you guys think, more?
Copyright © 2011 Marco Polo; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..