Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

The X-Men Chronicles - 9. From Scratch

Chapter 9 (From Scratch)

looked into Johnny's eyes as he held me, I leaned into his shoulder and cried, and finally I had found truth. I wanted to talk to him, I wanted to tell him everything and I wanted a friend, more than anything I wanted a friend.

I walked up the steps dragging my feet, I shot a glance at Johnny, it was now midnight, and a chill of exhaustion ran through me. Johnny looked at me and made his way up the steps, then he began climbing them two at a time, suddenly he was next to me, and I was falling. He caught my falling body. I was plummeting to the floor, luckily Johnny's reflexes had been quick.

"Seems like you're always falling into my arms."

"Seems like you're always catching me."

You need to sleep. Which way to your room?"

"Up these steps, right at the first hallway, through the first double-doors, then the side door on the left, third door on you right."

"OCD?"

"Yea"

"Figures, I gotta lift you, okay with you?"

"Yea, that's fine with me."

Johnny hefted me onto his arms, and again I felt safe, warm, and comfortable. I knew he was unavailable, I could tell that this guy, this gorgeous guy had a crush on me, or something in those terms, but something made him push away. I understood, after all it would be just my luck. We got to my room, and there was Darren, on my bed, waiting. I knew he wanted to talk, but exhaustion was overwhelming my every fiber, I could barely stand, much less argue. I held on tighter to Johnny, wanting to remain in his arms, where I felt safe.

"Umm...you must be Darren, I'm Johnny Storm. Chris is not doing too well right now; could you give him some room?"

 

"He's my brother, I need to talk to him, and you need to fuck-off"

"Dee...LEAVE!!!! I’m not in the mood to deal with this bullshit right now ok? Just leave my room, and lock the door behind you."

"Chris, we gotta...."

"Later Darren, just leave, please"

"Fine, but we still need to talk."

"Look dude just leave, your brother's very weak right now, and he needs to rest."

Darren walked out of my room, fire literally burning in his eyes, I could feel Johnny's own fire stir, but was glad he had enough self-control to not pursue a fight. He laid me down on my bed and began to take off my uniform. I could feel his fingers touch my skin and the sensation brought a mix of lust and calm.

My thoughts drifted back as I felt a warm hand lift both my legs and slip on the same silk pajama bottoms I had on earlier. I knew that it was too soon, but his touch was making me melt, but I had to let things happen as they would rather than push things along. I let him slip my pajama bottoms on, just because I was too exhausted to even open my eyes. Johnny tucked me in, gave me a kiss on the forehead, and to my surprise slid in next to me. I thought for a fleeting second that it was Bobby; I managed to open my eyes and saw that it was Johnny, I moved closer, wanting warmth, and company, he wrapped an arm around me, and I fell asleep.

The sun rose the next day way too early, I used telekinesis on the curtains and shut them when I turned and bumped into someone...Johnny. I looked to my left and there he was; his gorgeous face on my pillow. I shifted so my head would lie on his bare chest, and quickly fell asleep again.

For what seemed like seconds I was on Johnny's chest, sleeping peacefully, and now my alarm clock was blaring. It was set for 9 which would make me...LATE!!! I had overslept and was now 2 hours late for my classes!!!

I dashed out of bed, took a quick shower, brushed my teeth, and threw on the only thing I could find without looking, my Gucci suit. Blue as the night sky, cashmere/cotton blend, simplistic shirt, embroidered pants, nothing can match better with Gucci than Burberry Brit for men, and of course a nice pair of Prada boots, black leather. I knew it looked overdone, but in reality it was simpler than matching bits and pieces.

I flew to Storm's History class, making it to the door right before the late bell for THAT class rang; I eased into my chair, and waited for the hurricane that would be this day to rear its icy blue eyes, blonde hair, and pinkish lips. I was scared, not in fear, but in regret, and in anger. I wanted to scream at Bobby, but another part of me knew it would be hypocritical of me to do so.

As he walked in my heart jumped, he took his seat beside me, and to my surprise he smiled, and slipped me a note. It read:

 

            * ***************************************************************

*Chris: *

*You know I love you, or at least I thought I did, but *

*the way things have gone lately, I think I was more in *

*love with the Idea of you, the idea of having *

*someone by my side who shared my views and interests *

*Thanks for the good times, and I'm sorry for the Bad *

*ones, hope we can still be friends. *

* Robert Andrew Drake *

            * ***************************************************************

 

I was....relieved. I knew what he meant because if we had been TRULY in love I would never had done what I did, or felt how I felt for Johnny. I looked at him and smiled, we both knew then that what had been a troubled relationship would flourish into a beautiful friendship.

*Obstacle one: Surpassed*

 

It was time for the next hurdle, forgiving Darren. It would be hard, but not impossible. I had to forgive him, he was after all my brother, and besides, I needed him to be my confidant again, my diary, and my brother. I would see him in mutant class; we were both in Storm's elementals class. I hoped things would go as smoothly with him as they'd gone with Bobby.

Time passed slowly, lunch rolled by without any real events, and the rest of my "normal" classes dripped slowly by. I was nerve wrecked for mutant class to start. I knew I had to talk to Darren, if things festered too long between us the problem would be WAY harder to solve. I had already forgiven Darren, all that was left was telling him, I had tried using telepathy to do so, but he kept screaming continuously in his head until I left, so I'd decided that approach to be too...painful on me.

Finally my mutant classes began, first Psionics with Jean, then Combat with Logan and Scott, Academia Rationale with Hank, Kung-kwon-do with Emma, Stealth with Gambit, Flying lessons with Rogue, Strategies with Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Psylocke, and then after all of that FINALLY Elemental’s Thinking with Storm.

"Darren, can I talk to you for a sec please?"

"Yea....Roberto, you can go ahead, tell Amara to save me a seat in the classroom."

"ummm.....today's Friday, we go to the lake today."

“Oh, right...we'll see you there then. Chris...I...ummm...I'm really sorry for fucking Bobby, it's just...well, I was...I...there's no excuse for it, but I really AM sorry!"

"I know. I'm not mad about that anymore. I just wanted to say I understand. And don't worry, it's cool between us."

 

It was later that night and we were all in the game room again, I was watching Bobby flirt wiht Jamie, and to my astonishment Amara was flirting with Vanessa. I shrugged it off; maybe time had come for some of the things around here to start changing, if this was one of them, I'd be glad to have helped it all come through. I kept hoping that Johnny would show up, he hadn't yet, but I wanted him to, even if just for a second.

Joshua was in the med-bay, and I realized how much I missed him, he was always there for me to hold onto whenever I needed support. I began to get up from the chintz inspired couch, and head down to the med-bay, halfway up I looked to the pool table and saw a most inspiring sight, Johnny was walking in, he was wearing low-rise, boot cut Levi's, a vintage shirt with a

1969 Cadillac and a sign that said "Ready for the backseat?" his hair was done carefully in spikes, and he was wearing Gucci sunglasses.

He walked over to me, the way he walked told me he was withdrawn, but also available, something had changed since last night, and for the better. He finally made it over to me and hugged me, and then he looked in my eyes and ever so sweetly spoke to me.

"I need to talk to you."

"Let's go, I'm going down to the med-bay, I have to visit Joshua, he's really hurt after yesterday."

"All right, I think that'll be enough time."

We walked out, I saw Bobby wink at me and give a “thumbs up,” a lame smile on his face. I smiled back at him, almost flirtatiously, almost sensually, I knew what he thought, and I wanted him to know I was thinking the same. We got to the elevator, and waited. Johnny began to speak.

"Hey, I'm really sorry about falling asleep in your room last night, I was just.....exhausted!!!! I kinda just collapsed on your bed, next thing I knew it was morning."

"And if you collapsed...how did your clothing come off? And how did I get into my pajamas?"

"Well...all right, so I didn't want to go to the other side of the mansion to the guest rooms, and plus, you looked so....gorgeous, all vulnerable, and so soft."

Johnny brushed his hand against my cheek, his touch felt warm, comforting, almost loving. I could feel my muscles contract against his touch, not in fear, but in pleasure. My every skin cell felt alive, my every nerve ready, and all of this over the expanse of a single heartbeat.

"Johnny.....ummm....the lift is here."

"Huh? Oh yea, after you."

"Why thank you kind sir."

We both bowed deeply, and then started to laugh, harder than I'd laughed in a very, very long time.

"Family!"

"Entry Accepted. Please watch your step."

The elevator began to descend; somehow it seemed slow, and very quiet, too quiet. I cast out my senses, hoping to find nothing wrong, thankfully the only reason everything was quiet was because Beast was in his lab, and the other residents of the med-bay were either asleep or sedated. I cast my senses out to Mystique and Sabretooth's cells all was well, they were sedated, and all security measures were fully working.

We walked to Joshua’s room; I looked at the door, and hesitated. I cast out my senses, there were 2 people in the room besides Joshua and not surprisingly I recognized their Psionic signatures, Jean and Professor Xavier were with Joshua, but I hadn't sensed them before, and I wondered whether or not I should go in.

"Johnny we'll come back later, Joshua has visitors."

I began to walk away when I felt Jean touch my mind.

"Johnny, go to the third door down, Susan's in that room, she's sick, I think it would do her good if she saw you."

"But I just saw her this morning, she looked...fine!"

"Well, she's there now. Go see her; we'll meet up at the elevator in like 20 minutes."

"All right."

He walked away, his face shocked, concerned, and confused all at the same time. I turned the knob and walked in. I saw Jean and Professor Xavier standing over Joshua, they were concentrating, as if there was something inside Joshua’s mind they were trying to get. It seemed weird that the professor needed help. He was the most powerful Psionic in the known world, and even so, with Jean by his side they should be able to stop the Earth from spinning, they were powerful enough, so how come Joshua's mind seemed to prove such a challenge?

"Jean....what's wrong?"

"It seems that Keith has done something to Joshua's mind, he was the one who knocked him out. Joshua's alive but his brain waves are almost non-existent. We figured we could break whatever hold Keith had on Joshua's mind, but he works in such complex ways that even the professor is perplexed. He's trapped Joshua inside his own mind; he made it some type of labyrinth, and every time we get close to Joshua Keith snatches him away, like he's baiting us deeper into the labyrinth. The professor has a theory that this labyrinth is actually part of Keith's own mind, which in turn would make it a part of your unconscious sub-conscious."

"I get most of it, except that last part. Since the split Keith has had a mind of his own, we've seen the way he acts; he's becoming less and less like me every day. So how can this labyrinth of his be a part of my own mind?"

"Because Christopher, even after the split, your mind and Keith's still have residual information of each other's mind, hence why you are capable of sensing Keith even when he's miles away."

"But I thought that was just my Psionic powers, I thought I was just recognizing his Psionic signature."

"If that was all don't you think that the professor, or I or one of the hundreds of Psionic students here at the institute would have been able to sense him as well?"

"All right, say I can make it out with Joshua's sub-conscious, but what if I get lost inside it myself? What if I can't make it out?"

"We can bring you out. Joshua's mind is caught, a prisoner, you would be there by your own will, so we can bring you out easier."

"All right, how do I go in?"

"We'll put you inside, and we will give as much as help as we can from out here, the bond you share with me and the one with Bobby should anchor you to reality."

"Umm about that, I don't know how, but I broke my bond with Bobby. It happened yesterday, after I found some things out. I just kinda raged, and then, it snapped."

"It would seem your bond with Robert may have been an echo more so than an actual bond."

"Ummm....confusing, but I understand what you mean."

"Are you ready?"

"What about an anchor?"

"Our bond is truly psionic, I formed it myself; and I'll use my bonds to Scott, Logan, Jubilee, and the professor to anchor you. Now just relax...."

 

Jean's voice trailed off, I closed my eyes and relaxed, I knew I had to be ready for a fight, if that was what Keith wanted I would give it to him. I opened my eyes and found myself, not in a labyrinth, but in Joshua's backyard, I recognized it from the pictures he kept in his room. On the far South end of the yard I saw an 11 or 12 year old Joshua, playing with his younger sister, Missy, she also went to the institute, and his dog, Dogma. I heard a soft whimper behind me and looked, there was present-day Joshua, standing in a dark corner, just beyond the limits of the movie style memory.

"Chris, how'd you....am I still alive?"

"Yes, but Keith trapped you in here. The professor and Jean tried getting you out, but they only found a labyrinth. I guess he wanted me in here, we have to get out, before his traps spring, grab my hand Josh, we have to leave."

"Chris, he's done something to my memories, he's disturbed them, look."

I looked to the backyard, or more realistically the memory of the backyard. I knew Joshua had had a great relationship with his parents, he still did. But in this memory, his father came out, belt in hand, and he began to whip Joshua and Missy, he beat them until Missy was on the floor, bleeding, and Joshua was on the brink of death, then I realized what Keith was doing, he was trying to kill Joshua, we had to get out, before the fake memory played itself out completely.

I grabbed Joshua by the waist and pulled him close, and then I was back in the med-bay's room, on the floor, blood running from my nose. I got up and looked at the bed, there was Joshua, his eyes still closed, and his vital signs steady as ever.

"What happened? Why is Joshua still like that?"

"It'll take a little time for his subconscious to fully take control again, but now he actually HAS brain-waves. You saved him, you brought him back. What we don't understand is why his body is so bruised."

"Keith manipulated Joshua's memories; he controlled him, to kill him. Like a night terror, he made Joshua's dad pummel him and....MISSY!!!!! Keith almost got her killed in Joshua's mind too; we have to get to her!!!!"

I ran out of the room, into the elevator.

"FAMILY!!!!"

"Entry accepted...."

"Full speed!!!"

"Entry Accepted."

 

The elevator shot up, the force of its speed pushing down on me. It came to a stop in the main Foyer; I flew towards the game room, hoping she'd be there. I opened the doors with telekinesis, and landed in the middle of the room.

"Missy, has anyone seen Missy?"

"She went to her room, said she felt a little sick."

"Someone get one of the X-men to her room. There might be trouble."

I levitated and shot out of the Game Room, up the steps, and down every hallway to the freshman's quarters. I landed in front of Missy's door. I knocked, but there was no answer. I called out her name, and knocked, nothing. I opened the door with telekinesis. There she was, on the floor, blood spilling out her mouth, and nose, her face bruised, just like the Missy in Joshua's memory had been. I picked her up and levitated, I began to fly towards the elevator, hoping I could make it down to the med-bay in time. I made it down; Jean was waiting for me at the doors, a look of worry and hope in her face.

"This way, Hank's waiting for her already."

"I'm gonna KILL Keith, next time I see his face I’m gonna kill that monster!!!"

Dr. McCoy had already set up a room, monitors, IVs and all that crap lay scattered around a small room. I laid Missy on her back, and Hank and Jean began to hook her up to all the machinery. I was overflowing with rage, anxiousness, and nervousness. I wanted to do so much, what I really wanted to do was kill Keith, but now, Joshua, Missy and Johnny needed me, so I would simmer under the surface for Keith, and all the better, because on the next fight, I would make him bloody pulp, I would send him to Hades' doors, and maybe, just maybe give him a SHOVE past its threshold. All in good time, like Xavier always said.

"I'll keep you informed Chris. Johnny came by and asked if you could meet him at Susan's room, go down the main hallway, take a left, third door on you right, first bed from the window."

"Jean.....do you have OCD?"

"Yea, ever since I was little. Why?"

"No reason."

I realized then that Jean and I were alike in more than one way. I had a hunch that there was something more to Jean and me than even I saw, but I wasn't in the mood or mindset to dig any deeper, I simply made a mental note of it and headed to Susan's room.

 

I sensed something wasn't quite right, but I thought that maybe it was just my nerves. I walked into Susan's room and was surprised to see that she looked quite...wonderful. I couldn't quite understand what could be wrong with someone who looked so glowing, so healthy, so full of life, but I figured that if Hank and Jean had diagnosed her sick, she must have some mild disease, or maybe just a cold. Whatever it was I figured if she was in Recovery it couldn't be too bad.

"Ummm...Johnny? Susan?...may I come in?"

"Sure, come on in Chris, take a seat."

There it was, in the tone of her voice, whatever ailed her was there, in her bleak, weak tone. If one was to simply look at Susan she would seem healthy, in control, almost grandiose, only in the tone of her melodically menacing, revealing voice, would anyone truly be able to know her. And now, the voice which flattered and threatened in a single chord betrayed its owner's appearance. In her voice I could hear the weakness, the toil of her illness.

"Jean told me Johnny'd come by and said he wanted to see me. I could talk to him later if you want me to leave."

"Actually, it was Susan that wanted to talk to you, I was just the messenger."

"Oh...So....Susan, what was it you needed to see me about?"

"I know what your powers are, Xavier told me. I know you can heal yourself and others, and Hank says that maybe if you use your power on me...well maybe you can save me; I have cancer, and it's spreading really fast over the left side of my body, chemo's not an option for me, because of the whole mutant thing. I've been studying every aspect I can of non-chemical treatments, but there's not much to go on, I'm the first mutant case ever known, or at least studied, of cancer, so my research is quite...limited. Reed has done all he can, he doesn't have much experience with cancerous molecules, so his research has also hit a dead-end. When Xavier told me of you power to manipulate molecules, I began some research on that power; studied samples of Joshua's blood, some of your own Hank had drawn for his studies about that Keith guy, and some of Xavier's blood itself."

"I still don't really understand where you're going with this Susan. My power to heal is one of my least developed powers, it works wonders on me, but it’s not strong enough on others."

"I saw that in your DNA strands, on you it has a memory of how things were, on a molecular level I mean, so it has a basic blueprint, on others it has to FIND the previous status, that's where your ability to mix you powers comes in handy. I figured that if you can mix your power to manipulate time, and your power to heal, then you can freeze my molecules, leave my brain to work alone, and accelerate the process of 'discovery' if you will, that way it can work to a full extent faster, and more profusely. I'm only asking you to try Chris, I'm not pressuring you. Of course if you agree we would have Joshua aid us with his power, and Hank would oversee the procedure from a room outside your range."

"All right, you can schedule it with Hank, Xavier, and Jean. I'd be more than glad to help you Susan. Of course I'll have to tell Jean to put it all in English for me, but hey, she is after all my mother."

Then it hit me, like a bucket of cold water. Jean WAS my mother, my biological mother. But if she was, then why had she given me up? And how come she had never looked for me? Questions ran through my head at lightning speed, all around this one topic. I had to know for sure, and there was only one person who could give me a straight answer; Jean Grey.

"I don't mean to be rude, but I have to talk to Jean for a second. I'll come by later to talk with you some more Susan. Johnny, if you can meet me at the grand staircase at like 9 tonight. I have some stuff I need to talk to you about."

"Thank you Chris. You don't know just how much this means to me."

"If all goes well, I'll see you, if anything I'll ask Jean to talk to your mind Kay?"

"Sure, and Susan. I guarantee you, this....procedure; it will be my honor to help you with it. I only hope I can help you, and that you’re not let down."

"I am sure you will do the best you can."

"I will, that and more if I can."

I walked out, wanting to leave Susan's health problems behind, and hoping to once and for all find out who my true family was. I needed to ask Jean all I could about my family and whether or not she was part of it.

I felt sorry for so many things. In the past I would have been submissive, now I didn't think myself capable of staying calm for too long. I knew that anger served no one, faith, trust and reliability were the only things that could get me and Jean through what was to come. I knew she would understand, and hopefully, she would give me the answers I needed.

© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; All known characters, titles and other related products are the sole property of their original creators. All original characters are my sole property.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..