Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Whispers - 1. Chapter 1: Life

Okay so I had this story in my head for god knows how long, I hope you enjoy this little fantasy thriller/mind freak. Enjoy!

He held a gun to my head. I couldnt see him, I couldnt move but I knew he was there. "Give me the money!" He said, the gun softly grazing the back of my skull.

"Please, sir, I dont want any trouble. You can take the money." I said raising my right hand while putting my left hand with the money in it behind my back. He swiped the money from my hand.

"Im sorry." He said. I knew then and there I wasnt gonna make it out of here alive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Collin, we're almost there buddy." My dad said taking me away from my day dream. It had been seven years since I've been back to Hallowfalls, the town was small and lifeless. The people boring and zombie-like. Yep nothing like my home town.

I had grown up in Hallowfalls with my little brother Wyant. We had a not to bad life until our mother died. When that happened everything changed, my dad being the person he is decided to move us away seven years ago if only to escape the memories of our mother. But we didnt mind it in Hallowfalls, it was peaceful and quiet. We moved to New York so my dad could pursue his acting career and we lived life like any other New Yorker would, fast. We started to get used to the move when my dad got a phone call three days ago. He hadnt told us what the call was about only that we had to pack and move back, move back to the only place we knew as home.

"Collin you better give your grandma Lidia a big hug when you see her, she was soo kind enough to let us stay at her house until we get ourselves situated." Dad said, my little brother laughing in the back seat. "You too Wyant!"

"Aww, but she smells like vitimins and and decomposing flesh!" Wyant complained. "She doesnt even take showers daily!"

"You better hush son, grandma has been through some harsh times. Shes' seen better days. Now with Grandpa gone she has no one so when I say give her a hug you better plant one big one on her you hear!" My dad, even though he was a big theatre actor, he had maintained his southern accent while me and my brother lost ours years before.

"Alright." Wyant said defeated.

Even though we were a couple miles away we could smell that town, the distinct scent of wild roses and a hint of iron gave it away.

"We're almost there boys, cant you smell it!" My dad said taking a big whiff of the open air in. Dad sounded almost to enthusiastic to be coming back to the town he blamed killed our mom years ago.

There were only open fields before we actually saw the sign that welcomes people to Hallow. 'Welcome to Hallowfalls, your one destination!' I always thought that slogan was cryptic as a kid, now it just nearly gave me the chills.

Beyond the sign was the cemetery, a horrible way to greet tourist into your quiet humble abode. It was dark and gloomy, it was as if the second we passed the sign a curse followed us causing everything to go black. Though some neighborhood folk think it is a curse I just blame the high humidity and global warming.

"Hey Collin, maybe you should catch up with that nice boy you used to play with when we lived here. What was his name again?" Dad said.

"His name is Fadden, besides I doubt if he even remembers me. He might not even live here anymore." I said frustrated on how much I dont know about this town.

"Still he was a nice boy. You two made a cute couple."

"We never went out." I said mad at how my dad always badgered me on relationships. I had told my dad I was gay four years ago and him being in the theatre business embraced my sexuality with open arms. He even tried hooking me up with some theatre kids but none of them worked out.

"He was pretty hot huh?" Wyant replied. Although Wyant considered himself bisexual I always knew he was straight, he might, on occasion, make out with another guy but in the end he goes back to the one thing he cant get his mind off of; girls.

"We're almost to the house guys!" My dad said with glee in his voice. Grandma's house was right next to the fire station and the hospital so if something bad happened there was always help near by.

We saw our Grandma Lidia sitting on a lawn chair infront of the house. The house was big compared to the crummy apartment building we used to live, in the city. And there was no other houses for blocks. I guess when they built this town they charished their privacy. We got out of the car and was greeted by an array of hugs and kisses.

"Aw look at y'all. I havent seen you since you were babies!" Grandma lidia said crying. We were actually 9 and 10 years old when she saw us last, seven years ago. Like every grandma she pulled and plucked Wy and My cheeks and then tossed us aside like we were yesterdays garbage. "So how is everything going Micha?" She said to my dad.

"Im doing good mama. Hows Jenny and Lile?"

"They're not so well. Jenny lost the baby so her and Lile are thinking of getting some of that invetro-fertilization nonsense. I always say if at first you dont succeed, try again haha..." Grandma's laughs faded into coughs.

"Nana, you okay?" Wyant said concerned about grandma's heath, I wondered if this is why we're here, for her last days.

"Yes darling, Im good, I just need to rest, good lord." She said walking to her lawn chair, out of breath. "Anyways you boys get inside and pick your rooms now and let the grown ups catch up okay?"

We silently agreed and headed inside. "Oh and one more thing, you boys start school tomorrow!"

 

 

It was 6 o'clock in the morning, the smell of bacon and eggs filled my noistrils. It was still dark and gloomy but knowing that we had to go to school was the worst. It sucks being the new kid, I had remembered the experience I had when we moved to New York, I was the freak hick kid nobody liked. It took seven years for my classmates to like me, now I get to experience that again, oh joy.

Knotington High was the only high school in Hallowfalls. There wasnt enough students to build another school for so they just shoved all the teens in one place. It wasnt that far from Grandmas so we walked, it was a nice day to walk anyways.

"We're here." Wyant said as we walked into the front courtyard. There wasnt that much students about, at our old school you couldnt stop students from bumping into eachother. It was nice, the calmness, the peace.

"Hello there!" A girl with bleach blonde hair and an unusual tan said. "You must be new here!" She said to Wyant. Although Wyant is younger then me he inherited the good genes; he was 5'10 I was 5'6, his body was compared to the David my body was compared to Harry Potter. It sickings me how lucky he always got in love.

"Hello yourself, yep we're new, well actually we just moved back from New York." Wyant said.

"Why did you come back here? The second I got a chance to leave would be the day I never look back!"

I chimmed in, "Well we're not really sure why we came back, Im sure our dad will explain it to us real soon." I quickly started walking past her, Wyant following in toe.

"It was nice to meet you." Wyant said looking back at her.

"You too, my name is Wenifer by the way!" With that we headed to our first period class.

 

"So you have gym then?" I said to Wyant. "I have English, so I'll see you at 3rd since we both have Japanese class." I looked at both schedules again, 'wow dad, really? Why did you sign us up for Japanese class?' "Alright, keep safe Wy, I'll see you later."

"Alright bro, peace!" With that we parted ways.

I got to english 4 minutes late, since I couldnt, for the life of me, find the damn english building. What sucked is that the class was packed, there was at least 40 students in the 20x30 cell of a class.

"Hello, you must be the new kid?" A man appearing to be in his 40 said. "Im Mr.Rhodes, nice to meet you. CLASS!" His screams caught the whole class by surprise. "Now this is the new student! introduce yourself."

If anything I hate being the center of attention, for one thing I would get nervous to the point of collapsing. "Um, hi uh my name is..." I saw him, out of the crowd I noticed a blonde haired boy with the two different eye colors. It was Fadden! He was looking right at me smiling, I fainted.

Copyright © 2011 Matthew Shuffle; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..