Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jack be Quick - 7. Chapter 7

Crying, terrorizing of boys, grooming boys,

It’s dark when I open my eyes and peer around, how did I get here? I wonder as I sit up, my head is pounding and I all comes back to me. I throw off my covers and realize I’m naked,,, “what the heck,” I say with a sore throat, “where are my clothes?” I ask in a whisper. Getting up I feel a little woozy and steady myself against the wall for a minute, I head to the closet and see it is empty the dresser drawers are empty as well, “great, just what I need,” I say as I try the door, it’s locked, “the window,” I say to myself as I head that way. It’s locked as well, going back to the door I start pounding and yelling, “LET ME OUT!” I keep yelling until, I hear someone on the other side opening the lock and rush back and jump in bed, I hide under the covers.

“You are awake,” I see, Henry says with a sly smile on his face, “I’m very disappointed in you, that’s no way for a young lady to act,” he says as he closes the door behind him.

“I’m a boy,” I insist, “you should know if anyone does,” I accuse. “Just because you may have started life as a boy, does not mean you will remain a boy,” he says with a knowing smile, “but never mind about that right now,” he says, “you defied me and you need to be punished,” he says as glares at me, “and since you insist on trying to run away,” he says, “I need to make sure you won’t try again,” he says, “if you don’t have clothes, I’m sure you won’t get very far,” he says, “and you are much more pleasant to look at,” he says with a smirk.

“That’s not fair,” I protest.

“You should have thought of that before you tried to kidnap our boy,” he says in an accusatory voice.

“I didn’t try to kidnap anyone,” I claim.

“Poor little Tod,” he says I a sorrowful voice, “you have him so confused about everything,” it’s going to take weeks for him to recover,” he informs me with a shake of his head.

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO TOD,” I yell at him, feeling more brave than ever, “you better not lay a finger on him or I’ll,,,,,” I try to say as my voice fails me.

“I didn’t do anything to that little shit,” he claims, “but,” he says in an intimidating voice, “if I do lay a finger or hand on him, well , that depends on you,” he says and just looks at me in a sarcastic way.

“What do you mean?,” I say confused, my voice barely above a whisper.

“It’s simple,” he says with a dramatic hand gesture, “from now on, “ he explains, “I won’t punish you, I won’t even go looking for you if you want to leave,” he says opening the door, “go ahead, be my guest,” and points down the hallway, I’ll even give some clothes, your Auntie would never allow me to let you go around nude anyway, “ he informs me, “but just know this, “ he says with a scowl on his face, “Tod will be punished severely,” he says and puts a hand on my shoulder and squeezing extra hard, “do you understand?” He whispers in my ear.

My blood runs hot and I’m tempted to take a swing at him, but one look in his eyes and I know Tod will suffer, so I just nod my head in defeat, “I hate you,” I say under my breath.

“That’s ok,” he says, “they all do at first, you will come around like all the others,” he informs me, “well most of them do,” he says as an after thought.

“Others?” I whisper, in shock I stare at him with new horror.

“Never mind about that,” says and stands back, “for now go back to sleep and in the morning I’ll have some fresh clothes and a hardy breakfast waiting for you,” he says, “now that this,,,, ummm,, incident is over, we can go back to being a loving family,” he says an leans down and kisses me in the top of my head, “you should know,” he says in soft and soothing voice, “this hurts me more than it does you,” he claims, “I love you and it’s for your own good,” he says as he gently puts his hand on my head and ruffles my hair.

“I’ll never love you” I say in a weak but forceful voice, pulling my head away, regretting my words as soon as I say them, but not able to take them back, I just stare at him defiantly .

“I know,” he says in a understanding way, “that will change in time, “he claims, “now get some sleep, we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow,” he says as he leaves the door an inch open and walks away down the hall.

“What have I done?” I say under my breath, “my folks were never as evil as this man,” I say as I try to figure out what to do. “I could run to town and tell the cops on him,” I say into my pillow, “let them send me back, I don’t care,” I say as tears fill my eyes, “but what if he kills Tod while I’m gone, it’ll be all my fault,” I sob, not knowing what to do and just give into the crying.

 

Standing alone on the beach I look at my ship and want nothing more than to just walk away from everything, but then I remember poor Tod and how I have totally put him in grave danger, ”where are you?” I yell to whoever is listening. I can’t make myself start to walk, I have a responsibility to Tod and I can’t leave him, but maybe I can take him with me, we could go to the ship together and sail away for ever. I look around and I don’t see him, I have seen him here before so I call out to him, “TOD!” I yell as loud as I can, but get no answer. I drop down to my hands and knees and start crying.

“Shh,, it’s ok,” I hear a familiar voice come from out of the darkness beyond the beach, “I’m coming for you,” it says, “don’t give up, I will find you,” the voice promises.

“BJ?” I ask in a small weak voice, but I get no answer.


“Wake up sleepy head,” I open my eyes and see Tod standing at the end of my bed holding a pile of clothes, “dad told me to tell you to get dressed and come down for breakfast, he has a surprise for you,” he says excitedly.

I look at him and my heart fills with sorrow, “I’m sorry Tod,” I say as sit up, “I should have never come here,” please forgive me,” I say while looking into his eyes.

“It’s ok, “ he says with a smile, “I’m glad you came,” and drops the clothes on the bed a turns to leave with a confused look on his face.

“I’ll be right down,” I tell him, “and tell my uncle I won’t cause any more trouble, I promise,” I add as he closes the door behind him. I get out of bed and see the clothes, they are boy clothes and I’m shocked, even the underwear is boys. I’m overjoyed as I get dressed in regular clothes and feel close to happy as I head down the hall to see what awaits me in the kitchen.

“Well there’s my boy,” Donna says, “ she says as I enter the room, “see Henry,” she says turning to him, “I told you he would happier as a boy.”

“I know, I know,,” he says as he gives me a wide grin, “but you know he has to be taught, the difference and when to be a boy and when to be a girl,” he says and winks at me, what does that mean, I wonder as I start to sit down.

“Well enough of this chit-chat,” Donna says, “breakfast is on the table, we don’t want it to get cold,’ she commands us as she starts to serve everyone.

“I have a surprise for you young man,” he says with smile, I’m beginning to hate his smile, “you are going to go into town with me this morning,” he says with pride, “it’s about time you had proper clothes, don’t you think?” He asks me.

“Ummm, I’m,,,” is all I can say, I’m still shocked by the change of attitude in him.

“Well?” Donna asks, “what do you say to your uncle?” She asks as she looks at me in a weird way.

“Ummm thanks?” I say, not sure what I’m supposed to do.

“Well eat up,” Henry says, “I’m going to show you around town, so everyone can see how handsome you are,” he says with pride.

“Can I go?” Tod asks, hopeful.

“No,Tod,” Henry says, “this time , is just the men,” he informs him, did he just call me a man?, I think as I eat pancakes and bacon, what is going on here? I thought I was going to have to nude forever and locked away, but now he is being nice? Why? I want to ask, but I don’t dare, all the defiance gone out of me.

“Do you mean boy clothes?” Is all I can think to ask.

“Well yes of course,”Henry says with a knowing smile, “you know how to wear girls clothes now, so it is time to learn how to wear boy clothes,” he states plainly.

“But,,, I already know how to wear boy clothes,” I insist, “I am a boy after all,” I remind him.

“We shall see,” is all Henry has to say on that subject, “now finish up breakfast while I got get ready,” he tells me as he gets up and kisses Tod on the top of his head, then proceeds to kiss his wife on the mouth, he makes his way to me and gives me a shoulder hug and leans down and whispers in my ear, “I love you son,” and straightens up and leaves the kitchen, that’s a strange thing to say, I think as he leaves.

“Donna?,” I say, “err, I mean auntie, can I ask you a question?,” I ask tentatively.

“I think you just did,” she says with a smirk on her face, I just look at her not sure what she meant, “go ahead sweetie,” she says and chuckles.

“Why is Henry, err I mean my uncle being so weird today?” I ask in a small unsure voice, “I mean, he’s,,,,different?” I ask, “isn’t he mad at me and Tod for running away yesterday?”

“He gets like that dear,” she says as she takes my plate away, “the thing you have to realize about Henry is that as long as things go smoothly, he will be your best friend, but if not,” she starts to say, “well, just don’t let that happen,” she warns me, “I reminded him that your are just a young boy and need time to acclimate to your new life,” she explains , “he wanted to chain you up in the shed till winter, “but I wouldn’t hear of it,” she informs me, “that’s such a cruel thing to do to a boy, “ she claims, “i told him to give you another chance, so be a good boy,” she instructs me, “I don’t know if I can stop him if you keep misbehavIng,” she says with frown on her face.

“What’s akla,,,mate,,?” I ask.

“It means to get used to something,” she informs me, “now never you mind about all of that,” she says, “be a good boy and don’t make your uncle wait for you,” she says as she takes Tod’s plate to the sink, “run along,” she says and turns to Tod,,” me and Tod will be just fine here by ourselves today, won’t we Tod?” She asks and Tod just nods his head watching everything going on,” as she starts cleaning up the breakfast dishes.

Leaving the table I whisper to Tod, “I’ll be back, I promise,” but he just looks at me with sorrow in his small eyes, almost like he is going to start to cry anytime now, I give him a hug and whisper in his ear,“it’ll be ok, I know the rules now and I won’t let anything bad happen to you,” not sure how to do that, but sure as hell going to try.

The ride in his old pick up is a bumpy and loud ride, but not so much that we can’t talk on the way. “Jack,” he says all of a sudden, causing me to jump, “you love Tod, don’t you?” He asks me and pauses for me to answer.

“No,” I say, “I would never do anything to him,” I claim, “

“So you don’t love him?” He questions.

“No,” I claim, “I would never do things with him like my,,,” and stop, still unwilling to tell on my parents, “I mean I like him and all, but not like that.” I try to explain.

“I see,” he says and taps his fingers on the steering wheel, “so ,if I were to,,,, “ he pauses and then goes on, “lock him in the shed for a week with only bread and water, you would be ok with that!” He ask briefly glancing at me.

“NO,” I exclaimed,“why would you do such a cruel thing?” I ask in disbelief.

“That my dear boy, is up to you,” he states plainly with no hint of emotion,“ I feel like I can trust you, that’s why I’m talking you to town,” he explains, “your auntie thinks it’s just what you need right now and I hope for Tod’s sake she is right,” he tells me as he makes a sharp turn, causing me to slide closer to him, “you will need to be on your best behavior today,” he commands me, “remember that you are my nephew come down from Michigan for the summer visit,” he informs me, “you know all about Michigan right?,” he asks and glances down at me.

“Yes sir,” I respond, not sure where he’s going with this.

“Well only speak if you are spoken to and then keep any answers short,” he instructs me, “if you are unsure what to say, look at me and I’ll give you a sign,” he says, “if I scratch my face or ear or nose or anything,” he says, “then you don’t answer that question and come over to me,” he instructs me, “do you understand?” He asks, taking his eyes off the road to look at me, I just nod my head, “Say you understand,” he commands me.

“I understand,” I say in a monotone voice.

Turning his attention back to the road he says, “good and remember Tod, is counting on you, don’t think for one second that your aunt can protect him,” he informs me, “I only give in to her to make her happy,” he explains, “everything I do, is my decision, although she often thinks she talks me into things,” he claims, “just remember that and we will all be much happier, especially Tod,” he warns.

“Yes sir,” I say not looking at him, just staring out the window, “please just leave Tod alone,” I say still not looking at him, he does not respond and we are silent for a time.

It feels good to be wearing regular clothes again and I run the hem of my T-shirt through my fingers and ask in an unsure voice, “uncle?” I say, “can I ask you a question?” I venture to say.

“Go ahead young man,” he responds.

“Did you kidnap Tod?” I ask and shrink back as far as I can next my door, looking at him not sure how he will react, but needing to know the answer.

He says nothing for a long while, just driving and looking forward, finally he turns to me briefly before looking back at the road, “that’s a mighty dangerous question you have there,” he says in a tone of voice that seems to be threatening and forgiving at the same time, I’m not sure what that means, “Be careful what questions you ask, “he warns me, “you might just get the answer” He says, glancing at me briefly one more time and then looking back at the road.

I decide not to say anything else about it, “how far is town?” I ask, changing the subject.

“Oh, it’s not too far,” he tells me, “the folks that live there are some what strange, they can be cold and distant to folks they don’t know,” he informs me, “they don’t take kindly to strangers,” he says, “so just mind your, “P’s and Q’s” around them and you will be just fine,” he tells as I see the town come into view, not much of a town really, I think as I take it all in with one look, a country store of some sort, a broke down down warehouse and a lot of weeds.

“Where am I? I say,” still looking around at the dump.

“It’s the town of thrives,” he says with a grin, “actually I don’t know the official name,” he says as he turns in to a parking place, “this is just one part of it,” he says and gets out, I try to open my door, but it won’t open.

“Here allow me,” he says from the outside and opens it easily, “that handle has been broken for years, been meaning to get it fixed,” he says as I climb out.

He walks into the store and I follow close behind him, it’s dusty inside and there are several tables set up against one of the walls and men are sitting around playing chess, “Hey there, Henry,” one of them says as we walk in, “who have we here?” He asks looking me up and down, by this time everyone in the store is staring as me, I feel self conscious and look down at my feet and I’m reminded that I’m not wearing any shoes or socks, embarrassed I look up and stare at the ceiling.

“This is my cousin,” Henry says with pride in his voice, “he will be staying with me until his folks sort out some problems back home in Michigan,” he claims.

“A city boy, out here?” another man says, “

“He ain’t a city boy,” another one says and points at my bare feet, “city boys always wear them shoes,” he remarks

“He ain’t a country boy,” a third one proclaims, “I can tell just by looking at him,” he insists.

“He from a small town,” Henry says “And I need to get some supplies,” he says looking at a very large man, “we gots work to do back home and don’t have time to shoot the shit,” he tells them all and starts walking up and down the isles, “Jack, why don’t you go stand over there in the corner and don’t touch anything,” Henry commands me as he starts picking things up and looking for a basket, puts this and that in it, “he’s a clumsy one, that one is,” he says just loud enough for everyone to hear.

“So you are staying with your uncle?” A skinny man asks.

“Yes sir,” I say, watching the board.

“Do you play?” He asks.

“Yes sir, my daddy taught me,” I respond.

“Hey Jim-Bo” the skinny man says, “move you fat ass and let the boy have chance,” he says and starts setting up the board.

I look over to Henry,, but he’s ignoring me, so I sit down, “I’ll try,” I say as the fat man gets up grumbling under his breath. After the third move the skinny man says, “you don’t know how to play,” and shoos me out of the seat.

“Oh,,,” I say disappointed and go back to watching, “you didn’t even give me a chance” I say under my breath.

“What did you say?” the skinny man asks with an angry look on his face, I freeze and look at Henry for help.

“Never mind,” Henry tells the skinny man, “he’s just a boy, Roger, if you want to come by the house on Saturday, I’m sure he can make amends,” he reassures him, looking at me and giving me an angry look.

“What did I do,” I ask to myself and think, what does he mean, “make amends?” as Henry rushes me out of the store.

“What were you thinking?” Henry asks me once we are back in his pickup.

“What did I do?’ I ask innocently.

“You never talk back, didn’t I tell you to only speak if spoken to?” He scolds me.

“But,,” I start to protest.

“If you say another word I’ll slap the,,,” and stops talking, “no,” he says, “I made you a promise,” he reminds me, “I’ll not lay a hand on you,” he says with a wicket grin, “but I can’t say the same for you lover Tod,” he says and starts the truck.

“You leave hm alone,” I say forcefully, but not loud.

“That my dear boy, that is entirely up to you,” he says with glee in his eyes, “now,” he says, “I have a few people I want you to meet and don’t misbehave,” he warns me, “you do as your told and no more back talk,” he commands me, as we drive off I wonder how I’m going to get out of here and save Tod at the same time, I’ve never been responsible for someone before and I don’t like it, but I can’t just leave him, I’m thinking he tells me.

Breaking me out of my thoughts, he says, “wait here,” as he gets out of the truck, I look over and see he has left the truck running, he is walking away towards a house and is soon out of sight behind some overgrown bushes.

“I could just slide over and drive away” I say to my self as I start to move, but then I think of poor Tod, I promised to get him out of here with me and stop half way across the seat. I swear I can hear a voice whispering to me, “but you promised,” in an accusatory way, and I slide back over and cry into my hands, silently as I’ve taught myself to do.

A loud knocking draws my out of my self pity, “Hey?” A woman says through the closed window, “are you alright?”

Rolling down the window I respond, “yeah, I fine.”

“You don’t look fine sweetie,” she says with a sad face, “why are you crying?” She asks putting her hand on my arm.

“I’m not crying,” I claim, “I just got something in my eye taking my arm away and wiping my eyes, looking around and not seeing Henry in sight.

“We’ll cheer up young man,” she says, “your new here, aren’t you?” She asks.

“Yeah, I’m staying with my uncle fir the summer,” I inform her, as I’ve been told.

“Well I’m Mary,” I run a local homeless shelter over on the other side of town,” she informs me, “if you see any homeless people, send them my way,” she says with a smile.

“Ummm, ok,” I say, “where do I send them?” I ask, “I mean I’m not homeless,,, I mean it’s obviously I have a home,” I say starting to ramble, “do you just help homeless people or do you help others?” I ask looking around and seeing the coast is still clear.

“Sure,” she says, “what kind of help were you asking about?” She asks and raises her eyebrows.

“Oh I don’t know,” I say hedging, “I mean if say for example,,,,” thinking how to ask, “a person needed help because,,ummmm,, maybe someone is being forced to do,, ummm, “ I say, starting to get real nervous, “I don’t know, maybe they just need help,” I say, losing my nerve, “I was just wondering, I mean, aren’t there people who have more problems than just being homeless?” I ask and looking all around, if Henry shows up and sees me talking to this lady, Tod will pay the price, “umm, I’m doing a school paper on problems of the world,” I claim.

“Oh, I see,” she says in a low voice, “do you know someone like this?” She asks with a friendly face, but a low voice.

“Me?, no,” I claim, “I’m not in trouble,” it’s just a school paper,” I remind her.

“Oh, of course not,” she says, “well we offer a wide selection of helpful services and we can be very discreet,” she tells me.

“What does discreet mean?” I ask.

“It means, that we help some people in secret,” she says, “that way if someone is in Trouble or if that someone is in danger,” she says, “like a kidnapping victim or being mistreated, we can step in and help without anyone knowing,” she informs me, “so if you see or know someone like that,” she says in a whisper, “all you have to do is tell them to go to the corner of 2nd and Main Street and Knock on the red door there and you will be safe there,” she tells me as puts her hand gently on the window sill.

“Well I’m not in trouble and I don’t know anyone like that,,,” I say slowly, “but if ,,I find someone,,,, like that, I’ll be sure to tell them, ummm,,, where was that red door again?” I saying, trying to sound interested, “I mean just in case, so I tell them the right way to go,” I claim, still looking around and see Henry just walking around the bushes.

“Main and 2nd street,” she says says in a whisper, “so you don’t know where the post office is?” She asks in a loud voice.

“Ummm, I,,,” I stutter.

“Who’s this?” Henry asks and turns to look at the lady, holding out his hand, “I’m Henry Smith,” he says, “I’m young Jack’s uncle,” looking my way as he says, “is everything alright?” He asks looking at the woman now.

“Oh everything is fine,” she says, “I was just asking your nephew if he knew where the post office is,” she says, “I’m new here and have gotten a bit lost is all,” she claims, “he told me he’s new here like me, so he has no idea, can you tell me?”

“The post office is way on the other side of town,” he says with his eyebrows raising, “this is the bad part of town,” he informs her, “how did you end up here?” He asks slowly.

“Oh dear me,” she says, “forgive me,” she says, “I’m Mrs Jones,” extending her hand and shaking his hand, I work with the missionary across town and God sent me looking for souls to save,” she informs him, “do you know that God loves you?” She asks and puts a big smile on her face.

“I’m a Baptist, born and bread and I would appreciate it if you don’t try to fill my nephew’s head with all your God stuff,” he says and turning away he gets into the truck and starting the truck, “roll up your window, Jack,” he commands.

Rolling up the window, I hear Mary saying, “God Bless you,” and Henry asks me, “what was that about?” as he drives away looking into the review mirror.

“Nothing,” I say, “she seemed nice, wanted to tell me all about Jesus,” I claim, “I don’t know anything about him,” I inform him.

“Well I don’t like it,” he says, “the next time I don’t want you talking to anyone if I’m not there, do,, you,, under,,,stand,” he says in a harsh tone of voice.

“Yes sir,” I say looking at the side mirror and seeing Mary waving at me, can she help me or will she just get Tod locked in the shed till winter? I wonder as I look out the front window and stay silent.

“Bible thumpers,” he says with disgust in his voice, “always trying to brainwash you,” he claims, “say two words to them and you’ll never get rid of them,” he claims, “we still have a few people to meet today and I don’t want you to ever bring up God or Jesus, ever,” he commands.

“I won’t,” I respond half heartedly.

“I won’t,,,,what?” He asks looking at me briefly.

“I won’t sir?” I ask, not sure if that’s right.

“That’s better,” he tells me, “don’t forget.”

“Yes sir, where are we going now?” I ask him in a low tone of voice.

“Oh just some business,” he says, “have you ever wondered what I do for a living?”

“You’re a farmer,” I say as if it’s obvious.

“No son,” he says and chuckles, “I’m a broker,” he informs me, “do you know what a broker is?” He asks as we turn a corner right onto Main Street, noticing the name and looking for second street.

“Ummm,, you break things?” I say, distracted and unsure what that is.

I hear laughing and wonder what I said wrong and look down in disgrace, “a broker is someone who buys and sells things like stocks and bonds, or others properties,” he says, “I’m a broker of sorts,” he informs me, “but I deal in ummm,,, harder to acquire items,” he says.

“Like what?” I ask

“Well,” he says, “the objects I trade in are,, very hard to get, it’s not like you can run to the store to buy,” he tells me, “just know I buy and sell objects,” that’s all you need for now.” He tells me, as we drive up to a three story building on the corner of Main Street and 12th street, I notice that Mary lives just a few blocks from here, I hope and I look down the street , but I can’t see any red doors.

Getting out, he comes around and opens the door for me, “let’s go,” he says and takes my hand and glancing around as we make our way to the door, it’s not red.

He knocks a complicated number of times and a speaker comes alive, “what do you want?” The voice says.

“I’m here to buy a pizza,” Henry responds and waits, the door clicks and we enter into a lavish entrance chamber.

“We don’t sell pizza here,” the man behind a desk says.

“then I have a pizza to sell you,” he says waits.

“I’ll buzz you in,” the man says as he looks me up and down with a grin on his face, “looks like that pizza is gourmet,” he says as he sends me an air kiss and says, “go right in,” and watches me as we enter the inner office, I wonder why everyone seems so wired.

A fat man in a business suit greets us at the door and shakes Henry’s hand, “Hello Henry,” he says cheerfully, “that’s a nice boy you have there,” he says as he looks me over, making me feel self conscious, “I think he will do and goes behind a computer desk and starts typing on the keyboard, I take a moment to look around, there is a plush chair in front of the desk and paintings on the wall, looks expensive to me and the people in the pictures are in different scenes, some look like they were Roman warriors with spears and swords, but instead of men, they were all boys in Roman dress and others were boys in different places, like by the pool side and in a cage, strange, that makes me wonder what sort of game that must have been. The next thing I see is a stage, but it is empty, made of some shinny wood, spot lights above my head and the ceiling is higher than normal, I want to ask about it, but afraid I’ll get Tod into trouble, I wonder if they have plays in here, but if so, where does the audience sit?, I wonder as I keep scanning, there are cameras set up and microphones so, maybe they film tv shows here, there are Roman columns along the walls and different weapons and shields,,

“Jack?” Someone is speaking to me.

“Uhh, yeah?” I say, and then remembering, “I mean, Yes sir,” and turn to see the man behind the computer is asking me something.

“I thought you said he was ready?” The man asks Henry.

“He is, he’s just overwhelmed, is all,” he explains and slaps me across the head, I shrink away and rub my head, but I keep my protest in my head.

“Ok,” the man says, “I’ll need to get a picture of you, just a face shots for now,” he says. “Please get on the stage, boy,” the fat man says.

I look at Henry and he nods at me and I go stand on the stage feeling silly and unsure. The lights all come on at once.

“Ok,” the fat man says, just look natural,” he says and moves around the desk and picks up a camera, how do I look natural? I wonder as he starts to point it at me. “Turn your head, lift your chin,” he commands, “that’s good, the camera loves you and keeps clicking away, “ok, that’s enough for now, “he tells me, go stand by Henry,” he tells me as he plugs the camera into the computer, “so, Henry, tell me again where this boy comes from?”

“He’s from Michigan,” is all Henry says.

“This is interesting,” he says to Henry, “I think you better explain this to me,” he says and looks at me intently, “Go wait in the back room” The fat man commands me and points to a door in the back, I look over to Henry, he gives me a nod and I open the door and see a bed and a couch as well as I dresser and whole rack of clothes. I walk over to the couch and sit down, the door is closed behind me and I’m left alone.

“It smells funny in here,” I say to myself, “it’s to quite in here,” I say a little louder, why am I here? I wonder, “I thought we were going to get some regular clothes“ I say as I think, maybeI I am here to pick out some from the rack, I get up and go look at them. There seems to be all sorts of clothes there, all different sizes, most look like som sort of costumes, I see a pirate costume, a pilot and a doctor’s costume as well. About half way through I see dresses as well, a princess costume, a fairy and what looks like a wedding dress, I hope I’m not supposed to pick one of those, I think , as I notice that behind the rack is a big box of what looks like toys, there are toy swords, helmets, teddy bears and all other sorts of stuffed animals and a magic wand, a few princess crowns and and an assortment of face masks. Most of it looks very babyish. “What is all this stuff for?” I say under my breath. I see another rack with all sorts of strange things, some plastic things, shinny and dull things some with twists and and some straight, picking one of them up and looking at it, trying to figure out what it’s supposed to be, if it’s a light saber, it’s not a very good one, putting it down and picking up a set of rings, all different sizes, some skinny some wide, they feel heavy and make a clink sound when I shake them, putting them down and picking up something that looks like a bazaar padlock, it has straps and holes, stranger and stranger, dropping the thing I make my way back to the couch even more confused I notice that there are cameras in here as well, “they must make tv shows here too?” I say as I examine the cameras, bigger than me and lots of buttons on them, lifting my hands I’m about to start pushing buttons when the door opens causing me to jump and the camera sways, but does not fall, thank God, I jump back like I just got caught stealing, I freeze for just a second and quickly jump to the couch and sit down, like nothing is happening.

“JACK!” Henry yells at me, “why didn’t you tell me you are a wanted boy?” He accuses, I just look stunned and keep staring at him not knowing what he is talking about, “how did dad find me,” I think, I never thought he would even look for me, “Ummm,,, what do you mean?” I say stuttering a little.

“You ran away from “James?” He asks.

“James?” I asked, “Thant’s my dads name, but how,,,” I say, confused, how does he know my dad, I wonder as I try to understand what is going on, I do know for sure I’m in big trouble and I don’t know what I did.

“We have to go now,” he says and grabs my hand and drags me out the door, the fat man is very mad and staring at me with a hateful look on his face.

“I don’t want you to come back here until you return the stolen property and apologize to James,” he says, “and you better hope he forgives you,” and points to the door, “NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE BOTH OF YOU,” he yells at us and Henry rushes us out the door into the reception room and out the door and quickly jump into his truck. Henry is looking all around and muttering to himself, getting in the truck he looks at me and raises his fist and starts to hit me, but then in mid swing he changes his mind and hits the dashboard making me jump and move as close to the door as I can, feeling for the handle I try to open it and remember that it won’t open from the inside.

“Now,” he says as he jams the gear shift into reverse and pulling out, “you are going to tell me everything, “ he demands, “where did you come from and how did you find your way to my house?” He asks, as he puts the truck in gear, peeling out on the road, “well?” He demands.

“I’m from Michigan,” I say, feeling terrified, pushing myself closer to the door, I look at him with wide eyes.

Taking a big breath, he says I a more calming way, “I know you are the personal property of James,” he informs me.

“Property?” I say, not understanding, “I didn’t steal anything when I ran away,” I say innocently.

“You don’t get it do you Jack?” He asks in a softer tone, looking out the window I shake me head, unable to say anything, what does he mean, property?, I think as he keeps talking, “James has been looking for you,” he tells me, “has he been looking for anyone else?” He asks looking at me briefly.

“Anyone else?” I ask,

“Tod,” he says, “you dope,” is he looking for him a as well?” He asks with anger in his voice.

“Tod?” I say looking at him.

“I knew it,” he says, “when you showed up like you did, I knew it was a set up,” he claims, I live in the middle of nowhere for a reason,” he states, “there’s no way you just happened to just wander into my lap,” he claims, “but I never thought James was the one setting me up,” he says in a low tone of voice, “you were sent her by James to find out if I had Tod?” He accuses me, “this is bad,” he claims, “ this is very bad,” he says more to himself, “I’ve been good to you right?” He asks in a sympathetic voice.

“Yes sir,” I say not sure what’s going on here and what about Tod, what does he have to do with my dad, I think as I try to read this man.

“Ok Jack,” he says in a clam voice, “we need to make a deal,” he suggests.

“A deal?” I ask with uncertainty.

“I need to return you to James ASAP,” he claims, “and Tod will need to go back as well,” he says as an after thought, “oh, this is bad,” he says to himself, “please tell him I didn’t know you were his and I didn’t know who Tod was either and that I treated you fairly,” he says.

Looking out the window I wonder what happened and why is he sending me back home,.

“Please don’t make me go back,” I plead with him, still looking out the window, “he will kill me or sell me,” I start to plead my case as I see Mary standing on a corner and watching me, I raise my hand up to the window and start tracing a word, “help” and then wiping my hand over the window and look at her to see if she understands, I doubt it because all she does is wave at me and mouths something I can’t understand.

“I’ve got to think,” he says, “we are going back to the house, don’t say anything about today,” he says, “to Donna,” he adds, “is that clear?”

I just stay silent and watch Mary disappear in the distance and wonder what he’s going to do to Tod, “please don’t hurt Tod,” I say getting my courage up, “lock me in the shed,” I offer as the truck drives even faster.

“You don’t have to worry Jack, I was only teasing about that,” he says, “I would never do that, you know that right Jack?” He asks in a soothing voice, we are both silent as the truck bounces down the road out of town, giving me a chance to think as I stare out the window, wondering what’s happening and how does Henry knows my dad?

Will Jack be returning to his dad and mum? Will he make a deal with Henry for Tod and himself to go free, did Mary understand his plea for help? All these questions will be answered in the next chapter, tune in to to follow the exciting adventures of Jack,,and Tod?
Copyright © 2019 Michael White Potter; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..