Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jack be Quick - 3. Chapter 3

Mention of possible abuse in the past. Nightmares of a child.

“Dinner’s ready,” Mom yells.

“I’m coming,” I say as I finish up my video game.

“Now,” She insists.

“But I still have to save my game.” I scream at her as I quickly press save and wait till the game tells me it is saved. I jump up and shut it down and run out of my room and down the hall. “I’m coming, I’m coming.” I yell as I enter the kitchen.

“Use your inside voice.” My Mom says.

“Sorry, I was just hungry, what’s for dinner?” I ask.

“Never you mind, did you wash your hands?” She asks.

“Ah, Mom, do I have to?” I whine.

“ You get up this instant and stop your crying, or ill give you something to cry about.” My Dad yells at me as he stands over me tall and strong.

I’m naked and on my back, I have just been knocked down by a punch to my gut. My eyes are tearing up and it is hard to focus my eyes and I’m shaking and I know if I don’t get up, he will continue to hit me. I pull myself up and stand there and look into his eyes, willing my own eyes to remain dry.

“That’s better, now go clean yourself up, we have a guest coming and I need you on your best behavior tonight,” my dad tells me as I hurry down the hall to my room.

A guest coming, not tonight I think to myself, as I rush to the bathroom and start the water running.

“ Hurry up you only have 30 minutes before Mark gets here and I expect you be all dolled up and ready to impress,” he tells me, “if you make a good impression on him, it’ll be easy street from here on out for you.”

“K” I yell at him as I step into the shower. “I’ll be ready,” I yell at him over the shower, “I remember everything you told me, you can count on me.”

“You better not let me down,” he yells back, “because if you do you know what will happen.” He threatens me.

“I know, I know, you tell me the same thing all the time,” I say under my breath, careful he cannot hear me.

“What did you say?” He yells at me.

“ I’ll do my very best.” I say much louder this time.

“That’s what I thought you said,” he says, “don’t make me teach you a lesson.”

I just ignore him and concentrate on getting as clean as I possibly can. I need to get dressed and look perfect before, what did he say was that guys name?, oh well never mind, I think, names don’t matter much anyway.

Night time has always been a time of wonder for me. It seems like the whole world is asleep or somewhere else. I usually stay awake late into the night just enjoying the peace and quiet. This night is different, there is blood everywhere and I’m out side in my Spider-Man PJ’s and trying to wake up mom and dad. They won’t wake up. “ Mom?” I plead, “wake up,” and then,” dad,” why won’t you wake up?”

Running has always been a part of life as long as I can remember. I run here and there never stopping or slowing, then last year I got a bike and now I can bike from here and there, but I still like to run as well. This day I’m being chased by someone bad. I don’t have my bike, but I am fast. I look down and I’m covered with blood, but it’s not my blood, it’s his blood or is it hers? Well they deserve it, I think.

 

“No, leave me alone” I mumble in my sleep.

“I’m going to kill you,” I say much more clearly.

“Wake up Jack,” BJ says as he is shaking my shoulders.

“What?” I say as I punch out blindly.

“Calm down, Jack” BJ says as hugs me.

“Get off me,” I say in alarm. I struggle to get away, anywhere I can get to. I jump up as much as I can and almost fall off the bed as I try desperately to get away.

“Jack,” BJ says, “it’s me, wake up.”

I sink down into the pillow and open my eyes and start to cry. I can’t help it, the tears are just flowing now and no amount of willpower will stop them.

“I’m sorry,” I blurt out. “ I’ll stop crying and get cleaned up,” I plead with him. BJ just looks at me in a strange sort of way.

“Shhh,” he says and puts his arms around me. “ it’s ok, just relax, you are safe,” he tells me as I sob uncontrollably. I cry for what seems like hours, but probably just a few minutes.

“Do you feel better?”BJ asks me.

I don’t know what to say so I just say nothing and just look away from his face in shame. “I just had a bad dream, I’m sorry for causing a problems,” I tell him.

“It’s ok,”BJ tells me, “do you want to tell me about it?” He asks

“Ummm, it was nothing,” I say.

“It’ll make you feel better if you do,” he tells me.

“ I was being chased by a monster, or something,” I tell him. “I was covered with blood and I think I killed the monster,” I tell him horrified. “But the monster was still chasing me, so how could the blood be the monsters blood?” I ask, finding that I am starting to scare myself all over again.

“Dreams are like that sometimes,’ BJ tells me, “they don’t always make sense,” he informs me. “Did something happen to your parents?” He asks me. “Is that why you ran away?”

“What?” I ask him. “No they are just fine, they are the same old miserable selves, only looking out for themselves,” I tell him, “I didn’t do anything to them if that’s what you are asking.” I say accusingly.

“I didn’t say you did anything, I just asked if something happened to them,” he asks with a look of confusion on his face.

“I told you already,” I insist, “ I left before they could sell me or whatever, I know they can’t come look for me, cause if they do they will go to jail for trying to sell children,” I say with what I think is a look of steel in my face.

“They may have gotten away with this sort of thing before, but I’m too smart for them and they know it too,” I insist.

“Wait,” BJ says. “What do you mean they got away with this before?” He asks with fear in his eyes.

I am happy to see the fear in his eyes, it means I have him just where I want him.

“Yeah, my older brother tried to get away and didn’t do what he was told and so they killed him and buried him in the back yard, they showed me his grave,” I tell him with no hint of emotion in my face. “He was long gone by the time I joined the family,” I tell him, “but even though I never knew him, I know what they will do if I am ever returned back there,” I tell him directly. “I would much rather die then return to them,” I tell him in a very calm voice. “It’s makes little difference to me, it’s either them or me,” I tell him with a straight face. He has an expression on his face that I can’t figure out, it must be disapproval or something like that I reason. “Does that scare you BJ?” I ask, wondering if I went too far. When he doesn’t answer me I figure he must be afraid like everyone else.

“Jack,” he says in a weak voice, “ we need to call the police.

“Oh, HELL NO !” I practically yell at him. This is not going to work, I think, I try to think of an excuse to get him to stop the truck so I can run.

“Now calm down Jack” he says in a soft but firm voice. “ Let’s talk about this first, I promise not to do or call anyone without your permission,” he claims. My eyes are wide as I stare at him, wondering if I can believe anything he says. I keep staring at him and he is looking at the road and back at me. We are having a staring contest of sorts, me looking at him and him concentrating on the road and me. I don’t know the rules of this game, but I’m going to win if I have throw something at him, I think as he suddenly speaks.

“I’m sorry that this happened to you, whatever you have gone through just know I will listen with an open mind,” he tells me as he signals a turn to get off at the next exit.

“What are you doing,” I ask as I look out the window to see where he is taking me.

“I just need to fuel up at the truck stop,” he tells me. “Please promise me you won’t do anything rash,” he pleads.

I look at him again and simply say,” I won’t if you don’t make me.”

“I think we should call someone, but I won’t until you are comfortable with that, OK?” He asks.

“Do you promise?” I ask in a very serious voice.

“Yes,” he claims, “I promise.”

I wonder if he is trying to trick me, everyone always thinks I am this innocent little kid, but I’m not, I’ve seen things and I will not be fooled again, I think as I consider what he is saying.

“You better not,” I warn him. “Or else,” I add as an after though. He just ignores me as we pull into a very large truck stop.

“I have to fuel now, and then park,” he informs me. “You can wait here or go into the restaurant over there and order a drink or something and I’ll meet you there in 20 minutes or so,” he says with uncertainty in his voice.

“I’ll go inside?” I ask uncertainty.” I have to pee anyway,” I tell him.

“Please don’t do something foolish,” he tells me.

“I won’t,” I tell him as I start to get up set. “But I’m watching you,” I threaten him lightly.

“Fair enough,” I’ll be right in,” he tells me as he gets out and starts to fuel.

I just sit there a few minutes wondering if I should hide until he leaves or not. I finally decide to go inside and see how this plays out. I see him watching me like a hawk. I pretend not to notice him as I make my way inside.

The restaurant is a nice place and I take a seat at the counter and order a coffee.

“You are a little young for coffee,” the waitress says. “Where’s you dad?” She asks me.

“My dad is dead,” I say to her with a tear in my eye.

“Oh dear,” she says in a sad voice,” I’m sorry, who are you hear with?” She asks me.

“An old man that just picked me up hitch hiking,” I tell her just to see what she will say. She just stares at me till I give in and smile, “ I was just kidding, he’s my uncle.” I lie.

She looks relived. “How about I bring you a Coke?” She asks me with a look on her face that says, I don’t know what to think.

“I guess that will be ok,” I tell her in a disappointed way. I watch her walk away and wonder why everyone has to be so serious all the time. I look around and see there are two ways out of here, the main entrance I came in and I can see a door behind the counter. It is open so I can see it leads to the parking lot out back.

I’m planning in my head a good excuse to slip away if needed when BJ sits down next to and makes me jump.

“DON’T DO THAT,” I say in a high pitch voice. I cough to cover up my screech.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you,” he tells me.

“You didn’t scare me,” I tell him, “I was just startled, you shouldn’t sneak up on people like that,” I say in a way that tells him I’m not scared.

“Anyway, I see you got a drink, let’s move to a booth?,” he asks me in a hushed tone, “ I think we need to talk in private.” He winks at me.

“Fine,” I say irritated. “I don’t know why we can’t ever sit at the counter,” I complain. I drag my butt of the stool while holding my class above my head and pretending to balance it on top.

“Cut it out Jack,” BJ says.

“I won’t drop it,” I claim as I drop it. “Ops, sorry,” I say. BJ just gets a tense face and bends over to pick up the glass shards.

“Don’t worry about it honey,” the waitress says and hurries over with a napkin, “I’ll get it cleaned up.”

BJ looks me in that, I told you kind of way, I just smirk at him and slide into a booth near by.

“Ok,” BJ says, “what are we going to do with you?”

“What do you mean?” I ask curiously.

The waitress walks up and Gives us menus, “What can I get you gentlemen?” She inquires.

“I’ll have coffee, black, no sugar” BJ says.

“Me too,” I say. The waitress looks at BJ with a disapproving look.

“Wouldn’t you rather have a shake?” He asks with a smile on his face.

“Fine,”I say exacerbated. “I’ll have a chocolate shake.” After the waitress walks away, I ask, “Why won’t you ever let me have coffee?, I drank what ever I wanted at home.”

“You are not at home, do you want to go home?” He asks.

Looking down and playing with a napkin, I say in a quiet voice, “no.”

“Jack I need to ask some really personal questions,” BJ says. “If you don’t want to answer any of the questions, that’s ok,” he tells me, “but don’t lie, OK?”

“Why do you have to ask so many questions?” I complain.

He takes that as a yes and begins, “First off, can you read?” He looks at me with concern.

“Why does that matter?” I ask, not sure what that has to do with anything. When BJ just looks at me for a few minutes, I give in and say, “a little,” and look out the window trying not to cry. What’s wrong with me?, I wonder. I have never been a cry baby, even when I was a baby. I look up to see BJ studying me intensely.

“I can teach you if you want,” is all he says.

“Can I ask you a question,” I inquire.

“I think you just did,” he jokes, “yes go ahead.”

“Do you like me?,” I ask, really wanting to know.

“Yes I do, why do you ask?” He tells me with no hint of sarcasm in his eyes.

“Well you yelled at me when you first found me in your truck and you didn’t want me and then you keep asking me all sorts of questions and you keep threatening to call the cops or my folks and…”

BJ cuts me off, “slow down there partner,” he says, “take a breath.” I stare into his eyes intensely and wait for him to go on, because I really want to know what he wants from me.

“I didn’t yell at you,” he says, “ you just surprised me is all.”

“You did too yell at me,” I mumble under my breath.

“I am concerned about you,” he says, “and I do want you,” he admits. “ I ask about your parents, ummmm , because well, I don’t think I like them very much,” he confesses.

“You don’t need to be concerned about me, I can take care of myself,” I say my voice getting louder as I stare into his eyes, “I’m not a baby you know.”

“I didn’t mean it that way,” he says. The waitress shows up with our drinks. “Is everything alright guys?” She asks.

“Everything is fine,” we both say at the same time.

She shrinks away and says, “if you need anything just call.”

“Jack lower your voice,” BJ says as he takes my hand.

I pull my hand away in horror and grab his coffee and before he can stop me I take a big swig, “SHIT!,” I yell, as I drop the mug and spit out the hot coffee.” I see out of the corner of my eye a cop car pulling up out front. I jump up and bolt for the door. BJ makes a grab for me and rips my shirt as I struggle to get away.

“I hate you,” I yell as I run out the door, “you promised,” I say through tears. I’m out of the restaurant before anyone can catch me. I dart outside just as a cop is getting out of his car. He looks at me strangely and I just keep going soon to get lost in all the parked trucks. Under this one and behind that one. I chance a quick glance behind me and see BJ coming out the door and a cop stopping him. I keep running for a forest at the edge of the parking lot. I run for a long time dodging between trees and hills and soon get tired and have to stop and rest behind a tree. Catching my breath I look around in every direction at once it seems, I can’t see anyone. Very exhausted I climb under a bush and get very still, looking out between the branches I see BJ and the cop looking for me. That bastard, he called the cops and tried to trick me with a chocolate shake, that’s such a grown up move, I think.

“I don’t know him,” BJ says, “I was trying to help him, I swear, he stowed away in my truck somewhere in Michigan,” he claims.

“Why did he run away?” The officer asks.

“I don’t know, but he can’t have gone far,” BJ says.

“I’ll call in the dogs,”the officer says, “how old is the boy?”

“He’s 8 I think, or maybe 9, I don’t remember,” BJ says.

“I’m going back to the cruiser,” the cop says.

“ I’m going to keep looking,”BJ says.

“No you need to come with me,” the officer says, “ I need a full description and everything you know about this run away.”

“I’ll tell you what I know,” BJ says as they walk away,” he has blond hair and has the cutest dimples on his cheeks,,,,,” his voice trails away and I lose what he is saying.

I lie perfectly still thinking it’s a trap and they will turn around and hear me. I can only hear my breath and heart pounding. That was close, I almost got killed, I think. “Ive got to get out of here before they come back with the dogs,” I say under my breath. I wait another few minutes until I’m sure they are really gone. Slowly I move out from under the bushes and look around. I’m surrounded by trees and bushes, where to now I think. “Head the opposite way stupid,” I say under my breath.

Heading south, or I tell myself it’s south, it’s as good as any other direction, I figure. I’m more careful this time and realize that my tongue hurts very bad, “stupid coffee,” I say under my breath. After a long while I see train tracks, looking both ways and I see train coming. I wonder if I can jump on it like a hobo. I watch as it passes it is going way too fast, but just then I hear voices in the distance, it’s now or never I take a running start and leap for the ladder and manage to fall flat on my butt.

“I have to go now,” I say to my self, and leap up to my feet and sprint and give it another try. This time I manage to stay on the bottom rung as the train takes me away to safety. Climbing up the best I can I’m in between rail cars and squat down the best I can barely hanging on, knowing if I loose my grip I’ll surely die. I’m crying at this point and don’t even care if I someone sees me or not. Closing my eyes I scream out,”FUCK YOU,” at the top of my lungs and then just hang on tight and cry uncontrollably.

Is jack truly on his own, did BJ betray him, will he get caught buy the cops and sent back? Where is the train going and will be ever find BJ again or will he become a boy for hire? Tune in for the next chapter.
Copyright © 2019 Michael White Potter; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The terror of being a little runaway boy is starting to show through, I'm just worried as to how bad this can get ( I need to remember that this is only a story) as I can only imagine how bad things could be for the real runaways. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Damn, I was hoping that Jack was going to accept BJs help and that all the bad stuff that happened in this story, was in Jack's past and about to be revealed through his memories and nightmares.

What are the chances of Jack meeting up with another good Samaritan as opposed to someone wanting to abuse him? Given that Jack appears to trust abusers more, whose motives he can comprehend, I would say that his chances are slim.

 

 

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..