Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The House of Water - 1. Confession

Elderliness was wisdom until Science showed otherwise. The words of old men don’t mean what they used to, and for good reason. To be sure, we have seen much, but our tools of interpretation have dulled. Memory and fancy broke down the walls of their pens and mingle freely in our minds, at pasture, as it were. Cognitive ability peaks in the early twenties, claims Science. By thirty, the decline begins and everything soon goes to pot.

Story-telling is the real culprit, the real killer. Alas, you sigh, he has not retreated too far into senescence to answer my question after all. (Not your words. Pardon my paraphrase.) You are young, vigorous. You uphold a firm distinction between yourself and the things that drive you. You do not, as you put it, understand why I cannot die.

Because I am animated, is my answer. Animated: your generation would not think to ask—adjective or passive voice? I am not animated as in lively. You have seen me scowl at a bowl of cereal and dismiss a smiling nurse. You have seen me take ninety seconds to climb out of bed and call it a “good day.” No, I am not lively. But what if something were animating me? What if my body surrendered to entropy years ago, yet goes on driven by some other agent?

Story-telling, I say, is at work. We old folk spend our last years revisiting our lives in speech. But every telling of a tale changes it. One tells an original story only once. Every subsequent telling is not a telling of the original story, but a telling of the previous telling. Simulacra: copies of copies. The stories we tell are not the stories we lived.

And we tell our stories until our stories tell us. I cannot die because a story animates me, the most animating kind of story—a confession. If I sought immortality I could leave it untold, but that would be no kind of life, that would not be living. When most people imagine immortality, they imagine eternal youth. They do not imagine the story of a man who goes to a nursing home and, instead of dying there, watches it die.

Hocus-pocus nonsense, you say, the last plangencies of an old coot. You’re almost certainly right. But lend an ear to listen, or an eye (because this is a letter), or a heart (if that is the metaphor), to my story. You understand, I hope, why I cannot censor myself. You must read the unadulterated tale of a bridge and a house and some trees on a hill. What intrigue, you say, I can hardly contain myself! Alternatively, you swivel in a desk chair, you sigh and fix coffee for a long night of reading.

If nothing else, I hope to make you understand what a story does, what it makes possible.

Copyright © 2012 myself_i_must_remake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great start. The ramblings of an old man. Hmm... I'll remember that. Nearing 50 must make me pretty much on the road to senility, so I am going to have to remember this

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..