Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 20,665 Words
  • 2,626 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2010 - Summer - Out of this World Entry

Outcasts - 1. Story

Descriptive note: The Alvar are an Elf like people only more earthy and less ethereal, at least in attitude.

Outcasts

By NightOwl

 

Merek knelt in the center of the long, modestly decorated hall. It had been a long journey from his village, now his former village, they had cast him out because he refused to play the role of executioner.

Knowing that word of his so called treachery would spread throughout all of the human controlled countryside he had fled to the only place he could think of, and the last place he had ever thought he’d go to; the Northern Oak Hall of the Alvar people.

This was a dangerous move to make, since the Great Division the Alvar had turned away from their human counter parts, left their great cities and returned to their homes in the forests, deserts and mountains. They became secluded, dealing with humans only when they had to, a death penalty hung over any human who came uninvited or unannounced into their lands. But he wasn’t just any human, he might have a chance.

“We have granted you your life because you properly announced yourself before entering our domain, and you showed a proper respect uncommon to your kind in asking for this audience. Now is your chance to plead your case.” The oldest of the Alvar seated before him said, his deep blue robe and the pendant around his neck marked him as the eldest member of the Council.

“I thank thee great Council for sparing me and allowing me to speak to you. I have come to the Alvar people hoping to undergo the Rites of Absolution and Acceptance.” Merek stated calmly without looking up at the Council, but he could feel the incredulous gaze the twelve Alvar before him were giving him.

“You must not be as aware of our laws as you appear to be. The Rites of Absolution and Acceptance are Rites reserved for wayward members of the Alvar, not for outcast humans.” Another member of the Council replied, a young woman this time.

“I am sorry for my poor explanation of my reasons. Please, allow me to continue.” Merek said quietly, he was playing a dangerous game.

“Rise and speak to us face to face traveler.” A new voice, a kind male voice, shocked Merek and for a few moments he was unable to move, but his sense of self preservation came to him and he quickly stood and faced the council, he only wished he knew who the kinder voice had come from.

“Thank you for allowing me to speak before you informally.” Merek said and a man in the middle of the line nodded and told him to continue, the man with kindness in his voice.

“I am well aware of the restrictions of the laws concerning Absolution and Acceptance. I feel I am not mistaken in believing that they apply to me as I am three quarters Alvar.” Merek said and was happy to see that the entirety of the Council looked shocked.

“You can prove this?” A tall, dark haired Alvar councilwoman asked, her voice was also kind, and curious.

“I have documentation showing my blood line, through both my mother and my father and if you require it I will offer a portion of my blood to subject to any spell or enchantment you deem necessary.” Merek said calmly as he looked at the Council.

“Where is this documentation?” The Elder asked again, this time with less bite in his voice.

“It is in the rucksack that was taken from me when I entered the forest.” Merek said and the Elder motioned to the guard at the end of the hall, he was sending him to retrieve his rucksack.

“While we wait for the guard to return why don’t you inform us of your lineage, to sate our curiosity?” The kind Alvar man said with a smile.

“Gladly my Lord…,” Merek said but stopped immediately, he hadn’t been given permission to address them by personal titles, immediately he knelt before the Council again, “Please, forgive my presumption, I meant no offense.” Merek said, fear coloring his voice for the first time.

“Rise traveler, I take no offense at your gesture. I give you permission to address me as Councilmen Moreti.” The councilmen said gently and Merek stood carefully.

“You may address me as Councilwoman Irvana.” The Alvar woman who had been nice to him said.

“Thank you for your graciousness,” Merek said and Moreti motioned for him to continue, “I do not know the circumstances that lead to my conception and eventual birth, my mother never spoke of it. My mother was Lady Mara Kyn, third daughter of Sir Kyn, a Knight of the Oak Haven Kingdom, now past. My father was Merek Tiberius, for whom I am named. He was, or is as I know not whether if he is alive, a human Alvar Halfling. My mother once said he hailed from the Southern Desert Kingdom.” Merek said as he watched a collective look of surprise wash over all of the Council.

“If we were to allow you to undergo the Rites what then would you do?” The Elder Alvar Councilmen asked.

“I would ask to remain in the Oak Haven Kingdom, learn a skill or trade that would benefit the Alvar people, unless one I already possess is adequate.” Merek replied, feeling slightly confused by the question.

Merek was saved answering any more questions by the return of the guard, who carried his rucksack over his shoulder. Merek hoped his jars of salve hadn’t busted when it was thrown against the large oak tree when the Haven guards found him in the forest three nights ago, everything he owned was in the rucksack, including all his clothes. If his ointments and salves had busted he’d be left with only the tunic on his back, the breeches on his legs, and his leather boots, all of which were worn thin.

“We will take time to go over these documents and look through our records concerning your claimed heritage. We will resort to blood proofing only if needed. Until we have made our decision you may remain in Oak haven as our guest, a small cottage is available that you may stay in and you need not fear gathering your own food, whilst you are here all will be provided for you.” The Elder said and Merek was surprised to hear the bite in the man’s voice recede.

“You are most generous.” Merek said with a low bow.

“You will understand, of course, that we cannot allow you to roam freely throughout Oak Haven, at least not alone. An aide shall be assigned to you, you will not be allowed to go anywhere without them. If you need anything they shall arrange it, any infringement on this rule will result in banishment.” The Elder said and Merek bowed and agreed, it was far, FAR more than he could have hoped for.

“As I said, you are most generous, Grand Council.” Merek said with another bow.

“Very well, remain here. Your aide will arrive shortly.” The Elder said as the Alvar council filed out of the room through a side door to the Hall.

Merek breathed a sigh of relief as he waited for his chaperon. He had no problem being escorted around Oak Haven, he was happy to just be alive.

As he waited Merek looked around the modestly decorated Hall. The Alvar were a strange people. Their homes were usually brightly and richly decorated but their clothing and official buildings, such as the Meeting Hall he was in, were usually very bland in comparison.

The hall was long, and well constructed, the hard wood floor was polished a dark brown that accentuated the grain of the patterns. The walls on either side were covered in murals representing the Alvar history, before him sat a raised platform with a long wooden table and chairs, where the Council had been seated. The tall triangular windows that were sat high on the walls let the sun light into the hall.

Silently Merek wondered why a people as fair and beautiful as the Alvar wouldn’t want everything they wore and every building they dwelled in to be beautiful as well. With luck he would get the chance to find out.

Merek had never thought he would end up here. His mother had taught him of Alvar when he was very young and the tales had always fascinated him, bewitched him but he never truly thought he would be among them. He had intended to live his entire life among humans, now it was either be accepted (or killed) by the Alvar or live the rest of his life as Nomad, one of the wonders whom were outcast even from other Nomads. He truly did not want to live his life in seclusion, he had been raised his entire life around other people, never had he been alone for more then a few days at a time.

Merek was broken from his thoughts by the sound of footsteps behind him, and as he turned the vision before him took his breath away.

Striding with a loping grace up the hall was a young Alvar male. He was shorter than Merek, and slighter of build, like all the Alvar Merek he'd met. But there was something different about this young man, his build and angular, almost cat like features, were common to all the Alvar, male and female.

Unlike any of the Alvar he had met though this man had pure, night black hair, not the blond, or brown of the others and it was cut in the short style of the young human men, something quite uncommon in the Alvar. These small oddities would not be enough to draw attention from most people but either because of them or some other force Merek was unaware of he could not tear his eyes from this young man.

“Bright Greetings Master Merek,” The young Alvar said as he bowed to Merek, his voice was warm, rich, and inviting, “I am Duka, the Council has appointed me to be your aide during your stay in Oak haven.”

For a moment Merek stood in shock, what fortune had handed him a beautiful creature as his guide. Recovering himself he surprised the younger man by bowing to him.

“It is I who should call you Master, I am but a humble traveler seeking asylum. I fear that I may tear you away from activities more fulfilling then being my aide.” Merek replied and he was glad to see the look of surprise and the faint blush that colored Duka’s cheeks.

“Then my humble traveler, let me escort you to your cottage and help you get settled. It could be weeks before the Council has come to a decision.” Duka said with a smile and Merek picked up his rucksack and followed him from the hall.

Merek was glad to be in the open air again, out of the stuffiness of the hall. Oak Haven was the largest of the four Alvar Cities that the Emerald Forest held, as such it was the seat of government for the entire population of the Forest.

The nature loving Alvar did not destroy their surroundings to build their cities, their homes and other dwellings were built around and sometimes IN the living plants of the earth.

As he walked the winding paths with Duka, Merek could not help but turn his head this way and that, taking in as much of the village as he could. In the heart of the village, where they were now, the trees grew further apart, allowing tall cottages of stone and wood to be built. In the older, stronger trees house were built high in their branches, spiraling staircases of wood or metal ringing their way round the trees from the ground to the houses above.

As they made their way to the outskirts of the village the trees became thicker, and grew from great hills and mounds, it was quite a shock to catch glimpses of faces staring out at him from the mounds.

“What in the world.” Merek whispered as he stopped in the middle of the path.

“Is there something wrong?’ Duka asked when he realized that Merek was no longer at his side.

“Faces…in the mounds.” Merek said as he pointed to a very tall hill next to him, you could easily fit two of the Meeting halls inside of it had it been hollow.

“Of course, they are homes.” Duka replied with a wide smile.

“My friend, I feel you may need to explain it to me.” Merek said as they set off again.

As they walked further from the village Duka explained. The great mounds and hills were hollowed out, the roots of the trees doming out around the hollowed part, that was lined with brightly pine wood or stone. Though they were partially under ground they had cleverly disguised windows and sky lights to let in natural light.

Soon though even the house mounds became fewer until he and Duka stood before a large, two story stone building with a timber roof

“The Alvar didn’t build this.” Merek said as Duka opened the door.

“You’re quite right. This was the cottage of a human out post before the Alvar drove them from the forest at the Great Division. To my knowledge it has not been inhabited since it was emptied, but it has been maintained. As you see though it's sparsely decorated.” Duka said sheepishly as he and Merek stood in the large main room.

“If it is not big enough I could make a request of the council for a larger accommodation.” Duka said quietly as Merek wondered around the cottage.

“Big enough? Goodness man…this room alone is bigger than the entirety of the house I grew up in.” Merek said with a smile as he sat his rucksack down on a small table by the wall, which apart from a rickety wooden chair and a cold fireplace, was the only furniture in the large room.

Duka smiled at the shear delight on Merek’s face. Duka had grown up around humans in the Mountains, his true home, but none of them had attracted him like the man before him. Merek was tall, well built, with a weathered, rugged appearance. His hair was short and black like his own, as was the stubble that covered his jaw, and his eyes, he had the bluest eyes he had ever seen, especially for a human.

Once the nearly empty room was thoroughly explored they made their way to the room upstairs, the bedroom, which was as large as the room downstairs, the two windows of the room letting a in a muted light as the sun filtered through the thick foliage of the trees.

Like the room downstairs the bedroom was very sparse, only a small bed and table against one wall.

“Any furniture you require can be fashioned rather quickly, all you need do is tell me what you’d like and I can request it.” Duka said as Merek stared out the window.

“I do not require much, perhaps something comfortable to sit upon. I have only three pairs of clothing but a case or a shelf of some sort to place them on would be agreeable. Other than that I do not require much, perhaps a board and basin so that I may wash my clothes and linens, the amenities of any ordinary home is all that I truly need.” Merek said as he turned away from the window.

“I will make it so.” Duka said as he and Merek went back downstairs.

“Is there a river or lake of some privacy nearby I may bathe in? My journey has been a long and arduous one.” Merek said as he rummaged in his rucksack, looking for some clothing that was cleaner than what he wore.

“I can do you one better master, there is a bath house nearby, it is connected to an underground hot spring, you may bathe there at any time.” Duka said as he fought the ideas of what Merek would look like disrobed.

“That sounds splendid, though I doubt I will visit it often, it is likely that my wash basin will double its duties.” Merek said before letting out a sigh of exasperation.

“Is there something wrong Master Merek?” Duka asked as he stepped to Merek’s side, concerned, his formal manner stepping back in.

“No, nothing my friend, though it seems a bath may have to wait. It seems the only clothing I have is what I am wearing.” Merek said as he pulled out bundles of wet clothing with pieces of what appeared to be bits of pottery stuck to them.

“What has happened?” Duka asked as Merek looked disappointedly at the bundle.

“I am trained as an herbalist, I carry herbal balms and salves where ever I go, it seems when I was taken into custody some of my jars were broken, all but the clothing I wear is ruined.” Merek said sadly as he lay aside the ruined clothing and pulled the rest of his possessions from the rucksack, all that he had left were a few small pots of his herbals and a few small mementos.

“This is all you possess?” Duka asked, masterfully keeping the sadness from his voice.

“Aye, it is all I have. I had a sword but sold it for food, and a bow and a quiver of arrows but they were destroyed when I was…escorted…to the Village.” Merek said as he turned his rucksack inside out to examine it.

“There is no chance of cleaning the clothing?” Duka asked as he picked up the soiled garments, his nose wrinkling at the putrid scent that clung to them.

“If only one of them had been damaged I could have but those two salves should not be mixed. Separate they are harmless, and healing, but together they will eat away at the cloth. Water will only make it happen faster.” Merek said a hint of anger in his voice now.

“I will speak to the tailor and have some clothing made for you.” Duka said but Merek shook his head.

“I have no money my friend, nothing I can even offer in trade.” Merek said quietly, feeling a little ashamed, a man who could not even provide for himself.

“You are our guest; you need not offer payment as such.” Duka said but Merek shook his head stubbornly.

“No Duka, my housing and food is being provided without want of payment. A man must have some pride, some dignity; I will not take clothing as well. Is there some place I may find work or a task needed doing that I might earn some coins from?” Merek asked and Duka was touched by the sincerity in his voice.

“I will inquire to such Master Merek, but what will you do in the mean time?” Duka asked, his mind going over ideas as to how to help his Master.

“If you can arrange for a washboard and a basin I can clean what is on my back, and some wood for the fireplace that I might dry them.” Merek said with a smile.

“That I can do, I will return in an hour or so. There is wood stacked behind the house if you would like to start the fire in my absence.” Duka said and Merek nodded.

Soon as Duka left Merek went out behind the house and brought in an arm load of firewood and also found several buckets stacked near the wood pile. Once he had a small fire brewing he took three of the buckets to a well he and Duka had passed and filled them up plenty to wash his clothes in and then bathe with.

He was sitting at his little table in the rickety chair, cleaning his few possessions of the salves. Luckily he was able to salvage part of his ruined traveling cloak to use for rags, when Duka returned.

“I hope this will be sufficient.” Duka said as he struggled over the threshold carrying a large washbasin with its folded stand under one arm.

Merek left Duka to set it up and went outside to pick up the washboard.

“It is more than sufficient my good man.” Merek said as he poured a bucket of water into the basin, adding a bit of one of his herbals to it, soap for clothing.

“I am glad. I have also brought you a robe to wear until you’re clothing dries; I fear it may be a bit small though.” Duka said, unable to control his blushing, luckily Merek seemed not to notice.

“Thank you my good man.” Merek said as he placed his hand in the water and mixed his herbal.

“I will leave you to clean your clothing Master Merek. I will return an hour before sun down with your evening meal, and covers, pillows, and blankets for your bed, and no arguments Master, it is generic covering, unattractive and likely uncomfortable, spares in case of an emergency.” Duka said and Merek laughed.

“Then I will give you no arguments. Thank you for your patience my friend.” Merek said, he was hoping the young Alvar would stop calling him Master.

“It will take me a few days to gather everything needed to make this place more livable, is there anything that you require immediately that I may work on first?” Duka asked before he left.

“No, not that I know of, I thank you for the offer.” Merek said and Duka nodded before he left.

As soon as Duka left Merek stripped out of his clothing, even his undergarment, and placed them into the water, he swirled them around a bit and let them soak for a second, letting his herbal seep into the dirty fabric.

Merek smiled a little as he ran his hands over his body, tickling the hair on his chest, stomach and legs that covered his hard muscles. His life, while not overly difficult, had toughened his body and he wore his hard, curved muscled with pride.

He pulled his hands away from his body and plunged them into the cool water and set to scrubbing his clothing, he hoped they would dry quickly, he didn’t have faith that the robe would close fully in the front and he could not afford such a state of undress before Duka, no matter how attracted he was to the youth.

He scrubbed vigorously and thoroughly and was able to clean his clothing relatively quickly, amazing himself by how dark the water had become. Snorting in disgust and amusement he rinsed his clothing and rung it out. He sat the basin on the floor then hung his clothes on the stand to dry near the fire; he’d have to ask Duka about a drying rack.

Finally he turned his attention to bathing himself. He wet a cloth and wet his body with it before applying a small amount of another of his herbal soaps, this one spiced with lavender and mint to help the body relax, and cleaned himself as thoroughly as he could. He managed to clean himself well, but it was no substitute for a warm bath, perhaps he would visit the bath house more often than he thought.

Once he donned his robe, which was indeed far too small to fit him properly, though luckily it did indeed close well enough to preserve his modesty. Merek smiled a bit as he took the basin and bucket to the back door and sat them outside to be emptied later. Had he not been expecting Duka he would not have worried about donning any clothing instead he would have taken full advantage of the pleasures of the situation, but he could not be caught in an act of pleasure by his aide.

As Merek made his way upstairs to lay back on his bed, (which was surprisingly soft), he turned his thoughts to Duka. He liked the young Alvar, he was quite attractive, but he was also polite, kind and considerate. He wanted to get to know him better, perhaps get him to stop being so formal with him, develop a friendship with him.

Sighing contentedly Merek curled up, resting his head on his arms, and fell asleep.

*      *      *

Duka stood in the village storehouse, collecting pillows, blankets and other bedding for his new Master. It was so exciting, being the personal aide to the first human to ever be allowed, alive, in Oak Haven in five centuries, though from what he had been told Merek wasn’t entirely human, which was why he was alive at all.

Of course not all of the forest Alvar was excited. In the short time Merek had been there Duka had heard whispers and threats against the *traitorous human who dared darken their kingdom*. It was likely the threats and plots would go no further than harsh words and thought. The Council had sent out a missive immediately after their meeting with Merek to all the Alvar in the Emerald Forest, proclaiming that they had extended guest rights to Merek until a full decision could be made.

Being claimed as a guest of the Alvar extended protection and comfort to the guest in any Alvar controlled land that was within the reach of the Council that had proclaimed it.

Duka pushed the thoughts from his mind as he sorted through the bedding, trying to select the nicest, most comfortable of it that he could. This was not done out of hospitality, but out of his own personal desire for Merek to be comfortable. This was the first serious task he had been given since he came to Oak Haven and he was intent on doing it to the best of his ability.

The fact that he was wildly attracted to the older, handsome, well built human man was inconsequential.

“Duka, what are you doing here?” The high, cold woman’s voice sliced through Duka’s thoughts, startling him enough to nearly drop the large bundle he was holding.

Duka turned around to see Cilia, an elderly Alvar woman of a mean disposition.

“I am gathering bedding for the human Merek. The Council has assigned me to him as aide and guide until they make their decision concerning him.” Duka said, hating that he had to be honest with Cilia, she was a ruthless supporter of the death penalty that hung over humans who entered Alvar lands uninvited. Cilia would have been a very wealthy woman if the Great Division hadn’t taken place, her ancestors had been killed by humans and their wealth seized during the war that accompanied the Division.

“You would be well placed to not show too much kindness to the mongrel Duka. His days here are limited, as is his life.” Cilia said an awful certainty in her old, angry voice, her cold brown eyes near black in the darkened room.

“You would do well not to make those claims Cilia; Merek is a guest under Alvar laws. An attempt made on his life would be considered high treason, punishable by immediate banishment, or death.” Duka said, injecting a hind of malice into his own voice.

“Already you are corrupted by the mongrel, how you dare deign to speak to me, your Elder, in such a way, with such disrespect.” Cilia growled, her hand moving toward the knife Duka knew she kept concealed there.

Duka waited until Cilia’s knife came into the view before he acted. He knew she would never attack him, but he wouldn’t allow her to intimidate him. Once the dagger was in sight Duka made a motion toward Cilia as though he was trying to shove her from a distance. At his action though the air between them compressed then exploded toward Cilia, knocking her to the ground and sending her knife flying.

“You dare you to attack me with magic!” Cilia all but screamed at him, though if nothing to affect Duka.

“No, I dare to defend myself with magic. You drew your dagger on me Cilia. You may be my elder but only in age, not by rank or authority. I suggest you take this as a warning. With threats against the Guest Merek, and pulling your dagger on me, unprovoked, I have more than enough to take to the Council.

Cilia didn’t say anything in return so Duka finished gathering the bedding and left the store house, leaving Cilia slumped on the floor.

*      *      *

Merek woke just before sundown and went to check his clothes, the fire was still crackling but had died down in his absence, he put more wood onto it and checked his clothing. His undergarment was the only thing that was fully dried. Feeling better to have something on beside his too small robe he pulled them on then flipped his clothes over and turned the stand to dry them more evenly.

Sitting down on his rickety chair Merek strummed his fingers on the table, he wasn’t used to sitting around doing nothing, yet he had nothing to keep him active, either physically or mentally.

The slight rap at the door brought his attention around and caused him to smile, Duka was back.

Merek got up and opened the door, allowing his beautiful aide, whom had bedding piled high in his arms, into the house.

“It looks as if you cleaned out the entire storehouse.” Merek said with a laugh as he took some of the bedding from a slightly flustered looking Duka.

“Very nearly Master, I wanted you to have enough bedding to be able to wash one set but not have to sleep in the cold if it didn’t dry in time.” Duka said with a smile as he placed the bedding on the table.

“I could not carry both the bedding and your food Master so I summoned an aide from the community hall to bring it, they should be arriving shortly.” Duka said with a sheepish smile, and Merek understood that Duka was expecting to be reprimanded.

Smiling as he did so Merek walked up to the young Alvar and pulled him into a tight a hug. He knew he had stunned the young man when he let go of him but he wanted to show his appreciation and gratitude in a physical way.

“You are a most attentive aide my friend. I thank you for your devotion to your work.” Merek said, pleased to see a blush creep up around his young aide's ears.

“You are most generous with your praise Master Merek.” Duka said as he bowed slightly and Merek had to hold back an exasperated sigh…he hated being called master.

“Make yourself at home while I take the bedding upstairs and make the bed.” Merek said and Duka shook his head.

“No Master, that is my task. You have traveled many days and need to relax and recover your health.” Duka said but Merek was adamant.

“You have been on your feet all day my young aid. I insist that you sit and rest.” Merek said, firming his voice slightly.

“Of course master, I thank you.” Duka said, a hint of discomfort in his voice, as he sat down on the little wooden chair.

Merek smiled and picked up all of the bedding and took it upstairs, careful with his footing in the growing dark.

Merek took the thinnest of the blankets and stretched it out over the mattress and tucked its edges underneath then placed a few of the pillows and a thicker blanket on neatly.

He took the rest of the bedding back down stairs with him, remembering a small store closet near the back door.

Once Merek made it back to the main room he saw a tray of food and two oil lamps sitting on the table.

“I found these lamps in the store closet. I hope you do not mind.” Duka said quietly, his eyes not meeting Merek’s.

Merek waited until he had stored his spare bed clothing before he came back to address Duka.

“Duka tell me what troubles you.” Merek said as he looked at his Aide.

“Nothing is wrong Master Merek.” Duka said, not looking him in the eyes again.

“Then why will you not look at me?” Merek asked and Duka started.

“Are you displeased with my service Master Merek?” Duka asked, insecurity in his voice.

“No my friend, your service has been exemplary. How could you think otherwise?” Merek said, thinking he was getting close to the real reason Duka was fidgeting.

“You do not allow me to perform my duties. Taking the responsibility on yourself though you are a guest of this kingdom.” Duka said and Merek smiled a relieved smile.

“Duka…that has nothing to do with your service, nor is it because I do not want your aid, surely you must understand this yourself I am sure. I do not enjoy being waited on and tended to. My pride, my ethic will not let me do so. It pains me that my home, food, domestic possessions are being provided for me, that I cannot earn them, trade for them, or otherwise obtain them myself. In lieu of that I can only assuage myself by doing that which I can without aid.” Merek said and Duka nodded his understanding.

“It would please me if the two of us could move past you being my aid, if we could become friends.” Merek said and Duka smiled and nodded his agreement, but then turned somber.

“I am not sure how to do so. I would like us to be friends but I am bond as your aid by the council. I must follow your orders so long as they are not immoral or against our laws.” Duka said, the confused looked was endearing to Merek.

“We will start with something small. When we are here in the house, or in public where accepted you can let go of the formal titles. You are Duka, I am Merek. No Master or aid.” Merek said and he clapped the younger man on the shoulder and Duka smiled.

“I like that, my friend. You should eat your evening meal, it’s late and I must be going. I will be back in the morning with your breakfast and some of the furniture and amenities we discussed.” Duka said and Merek nodded.

“Goodnight my friend, I shall see you in the morning.” Merek said and Duka smiled.

“An you, my friend.” Duka said before he left.

Merek sat down and ate his supper with a smile on his face. The forest Alvar did not partake of flesh so the whole of his meal was fruit and vegetables. A thick stew, a large piece of crusty bread, a small pot of raspberry jam and a mug of warm herbal tea, it was good food, but he knew that in time he would be craving some meat. He wondered if he could slip away for a hunt if and when he was accepted into the village.

*      *      *

Merek woke just as the sun was coming up, whether it was the comfort of his bed, or some magic woven into the food he had eaten the night before he felt better, more rested than he had in months.

He quickly made it downstairs in only his undergarment and dressed quickly in his tunic and breeches. Just as he was lacing his boots a lite knock sounded at the door.

“Come in.” he called and smiled when Duka pushed open the door, carrying another tray of food.

“I have good news for you my friend.” Duka said as he placed the breakfast tray on the table and set the previous one on a small stump outside by the door.

“Tell me my friend, don’t keep me in suspense.” Merek said as he sat down at his little table and tucked into his food, a mixture of berries and other fruit with a lite, tangy syrup, a small sweet role and a tall cup of fruit juice.

“I have found some work for you.” Duka said and Merek looked up at him in surprise.

“Truly my friend, that was faster then I expected.” Merek said with a smile and Duka nodded.

“Truly, it is nothing glorious, hard manual labor. I know not how much it will pay but I have been assured that it will be enough for you to pay for some clothing, we will stop by the tailor’s on the way so that you can be measured, if that is agreeable of course.” Duka said and Merek nodded his agreement.

“That is most agreeable.” Merek said then turned his attention to finishing his breakfast.

Soon he as he was done he cleaned himself up a little and placed his tray outside with the other and the two of them left.

There were many Alvar about as he and Duka made their way through Oak Haven. Very few of them spared Merek a second glance, and no one seemed to take notice of Duka, not even the Alvar who seemed to be around the same age as he would be which puzzled Merek.

“Excuse me Sir, are you the human?” A small Alvar boy appeared at Merek’s hip, tugging on his tunic sleeve as he spoke.

“Why yes I am. I am Merek Tiberius.” Merek said as he squatted down to look at the little boy at his own level. His bright blonde hair reached his shoulders and his eyes were a deep blue in his pale face.

“I am Jaron Moreno, it is nice to meet you…I have never seen a human before.” The little boy said as he absently reached up and felt the curved contour of Merek’s ear then touched the pointed crown of his own, child-like rapture on his face.

“It is good to meet you as well young Master Moreno. It is fortunate we have met for you see I have never seen an Alvar child before today either, you are the first.” Merek said kindly and the little boys’ eyes widened.

Merek was blissfully unaware that his interaction with the child had drawn a small group of on-lookers, but Duka, while he too looked on in fascination, was also calling his magic to him; just in case.

“My mother says that when you make a new friend you should give them something, I would like you have this Jaron.” Merek said as he pulled out a small purple amethyst stone from his pocket and placed it in Jaron’s tiny palm.

“Oh wow…it is so pretty Tiberius, but I have nothing to give you.” Jaron’s excited smile quickly waned at his realization.

Merek merely smiled and ruffled the boys’ hair.

“You need not give me anything young Master, your smile is gift enough. I must be going now though, my friend Duka is showing me to work, and I must not be late.” He said as he gave the boy a smile and Jaron looked from him, to Duka standing behind before smiling and hugging Merek around the neck the taking his wrist between his hands as though measuring it.

“Will his family let him keep my gift?’ Merek asked as he watched the boy turn and run over to a small group of Alvar children, showing off his new gift.

Duka didn’t need Merek to explain further.

“By law they cannot take it from him, the stone was a gift to him, not them. Even if that were not the case though I don’t think they would, the Moreno family is full of kind, good hearted people; they have spoken against the laws toward humans in the past.” Duka said as Merek stood up and looked around at the assembled Alvar, some looked pleased at his actions, some wary, and others looked out raged.


The two of them stopped by a small mound building and went inside, the clothes, sowing and knitting supplies sitting around marked the house as the Tailors that Duka had mentioned.

“Ahh you must be the man who has the village all a buzz, what can I do for you?” A short, wizened old man appeared from behind a tall case of rolled fabric.

“My Master and I have come today in hopes that you might be able to make some clothing for him, all but what he wears was destroyed in his travels here.” Duka said and the old man nodded.

“What exactly do you require by way of garb and how many items do you need?” The tailor asked and Duka intervened again.

“As I said all but what he wears has been destroyed. I would request three full sets of simple clothing and a cloak should he decide to go traveling. If it is in your capability to make them.” Duka said with a smile. Merek hated not being able to speak for himself but he knew that this was part of Duka’s role as aid.

“Well come here and let me get your measurements. I have no pressing matters to tend to so I can have a few pieces done for you by the end of the day.” He said as he waved his hand at the shelf behind him, and a few rolls of measuring thread floated to his hands.

Merek was not surprised at the display of magic; he knew the Alvar had more talent in magic than humans did.

Merek stepped up to the short man who took the thread and measured him at his arms, legs, chest, waist and shoulders.

“What sort of material would you like to be garbed in?” He asked as he wrote down the measurements on a small tablet.

“I require nothing extravagant, only something that is comfortable in the heat of the forest but that is durable enough for me to work in and scrub clean when it is soiled.” Merek said and the tailor nodded his understanding.

“Is there any style that you prefer?” He asked and Merek once again shook his head.

“A simple tunic and breeches will do just find my good sir.” Merek said and again the old tailor nodded.

“Very well, I should have a single set done for you this evening if you would like to return then.” He said with a nod to Merek.

“Given these directions what price do you require?’ Merek asked and the old Alvar shook his head.

“You are a guest my dear man, I would gladly lend you my aid. I am not much used by the members of the village as many simply use magic to assemble or alter their wardrobe.” He said as he began pulling fabrics off his shelves.

Before Merek could reply Duka placed a hand on his shoulder and stepped forward to address the man in a low voice.

“I see, of course, of course. I forget myself. For three full sets of clothing, undergarments included, in the style and fabric desired can be done for ten silvers.” The Tailor said as he looked to Merek with an odd expression in his eyes.

“Very good, I will return before you close for the day.” Duka said before he and Merek left the shop.

“Will I make enough money to reimburse him tonight?” Merek asked once they were outside the mound home.

“No, but he will not charge you until he is completely done, by which time you will have enough, to that I am sure.” Duka said with a smile.

“I guess we’d better get going, I don’t want my employer to be dissatisfied with my actions before I get there.” Merek said and he and Duka set off.

“I hope you will be pleased with the work, as I said it is nothing glorious, just work.” Duka said and Merek knew he was worried.

“Do not fear my friend; any work is meaningful so long as it is honest. My life has been filled with manual labor; I doubt this will be the worst of what I have gone through.” Merek said as he and Duka left the main village road and headed toward a small house on the fringe of town.

Merek smiled as he reached the small log cabin to see an elderly Alvar woman sitting on the porch, sorting through a large basket of herbs.

“Bright greeting Elder Lady Demara. I have brought my master as I promised.” Duka called as he raised his hand in greeting.

Merek watched Demara set aside her basket before standing up, her shoulders a little stooped and peered over at Duka then turned her bird bright green eyes to him.

“Duka have you forgotten so soon what I said I would do to you if you called me Elder Lady again?’ She asked, addressing Duka but staring intently at Merek, who had the distinct impression that Demara could see through him.

“Demara I have not, it is a mere slip of the tongue, I crave your pardon.” Duka said with a smile as he bowed to the older Alvar.

“And I will grant it, this time. Now come closer human and let me look at you more thoroughly.” Demara said and Merek wondered how much more thorough she could be.

Merek stepped closer at Duka’s encouraging smile and Demara squinted her eyes and Merek felt the intensity increase.

“I suppose he will do, come around to the back.” Demara said as she stepped down off the porch and led them around the house.

“I am an herbalist; I trade with the other villages of the forest and with some humans who live on the fringe of our borders. As you can see though this fallen tree is blocking my way, and my ground needs plowed.” Demara said once they reached the back of the house.

Merek took in the back yard with a sweeping glance, a large rectangle in the center had only sparse grass, it was easy to tell it had been plowed before, and just as Demara said a tall fallen tree lay across the center of the plot. The tree wasn’t very thick, perhaps the circumference of his own thigh, cutting it in a few place would allow him to carry it away.

“I have an axe and plow and in the barn, and a mule that might consent to pull it if you ask him nicely.” Demara said as she climbed the back steps and sat down on a bench on the back porch.

“Very good, what would you like me to do with the tree once it is ready to me moved?” Merek asked.

“Just cut it to where you can move it and drag it to the side of the house. I have promised the wood to the blacksmith. Let him worry about how to get it to his accursed shop. The smoke from the blasted placed is a constant nuisance to me when the wind is high.” Demara said with a wider smile.

“Very well my lady, I will get to work immediately.” Merek said as he made to the small barn on the rear of the property.

Merek, after saying hello to the sturdy mule that was snacking on oats in his stall, returned to the back yard and began his work.

“I will return for you this evening Master Merek, I have duties to tend to. I warn you, do not let Demara’s…prickly…disposition dishearten you, she is a kind woman…deep down.” Duka said quietly as he walked up to Merek.

“I am OLD, not DEAF Duka. I am NOT a kind woman….say that sort of thing often enough and people will begin to believe it.” Demara called and Duka blushed.

“Do not worry; I think I shall enjoy myself today.” Merek said as he clapped his hand on Duka’s shoulder, who smiled before he turned to leave.

Merek watched Duka’s slim hips move behind the fabric of his breeches before he turned his attention to the tree before him and set to work.

The tree, while not overly thick, was a maple, the wood was hard and didn’t want to yield to the axe, but Merek was strong and prevailed. Many of the branches had broken in the fall so he cleared those first then set to chopping the tree at four foot intervals. The task was hard and by noon he had relieved himself of his tunic, letting the bright sun kiss his bare torso.

“You need not finish today, come up for a drink and a lunch.” Demara called out to him as he raised the axe for another blow. Merek smiled before swinging the axe, burying the blade in the wood.

Merek picked up his tunic and pulled it on as he walked up to the back porch. Demara had a tall glass of dark, cool, sweet tea waiting for him, as well as what appeared to be a bowel of dried meat.

“Is that what I think it is?” He asked as he set down on the step.

“Yes it is, and don’t say anything. I trade with the humans for it. I don’t eat it myself, but I know someone who does, so I keep a little of it on hand, they won’t mind.” She said quietly and Merek said no more, he ate the hard salty meat with evident pleasure.

“Lady Demara, I wonder if I could strike a bargain with you.” Merek asked as he finished the rest of his tea.

“Tell me your bargain and I will decided if it can be struck or not.” Demara said as she tide together a bunch of dried sage, knotting the string in nine circles.

“I too am trained as an herbalist, often I take them and make them into balms or salves used for healing, and other things. If I am allowed to stay in Oak Haven I would like to start my own herb garden. From the look of the herbs in your basket you grow good stock. What could I offer you in payment for seed or seedlings of your wonderful stock?’ Merek asked before Demara tossed the sage bundle into his lap.

“Nothing.” She said as she began tying sprigs of spearmint together.

“Nothing as in…?” Merek asked confused.

“That’s right, nothing. If you are allowed to remain in the village, which I am sure you will be, then come to me and take your pick of my vast seed stores.” Demara said as she finished her work with the spearmint, once again tossing the bundle into Merek’s lap.

“I cannot do that lady; allow me to barter with you in some manner.” Merek said, picking up the spearmint and placing it with the sage bundle next to him.

“I never said you wouldn’t. You will repay me in seed; I expect seed back from you, taken from the reaping of your first three crops.” Demara said, now knotting chamomile flowers together.

“Aye, it is a deal. I must get back to work then.” Merek said, placing the herb bundles near Demara before going back to work.

Merek went back to work and continued until a few hours before sundown when Demara called him back to the porch where Duka stood waiting for him, a tall bundle in his arms.

“Hello Duka, what is all this?” Merek asked as he pulled his tunic back on.

“I came by the tailors on my way back, it is your clothing.” He said but Merek could not help but notice there was more than what he had bartered for, but he would not bring it up in front of Demara.

“I see. Well I will return in the morning Lady Demara to continue my work.” Merek said but Demara merely pushed a small basket, piled with herb bunches and a pouch that clinked with coins.

“What is all this?” Merek asked in polite confusion.

“Your wages for the day and a gift, one herbalist to another, and don’t argue with me about it either.” Demara said before she turned and went into her house.

“I think she loves you.” Duka said once he and Merek had set off.

“What makes you say that?” Merek asked, still eyeing the pile of clothing in Duka’s hands.

“She never gives her herbs away, they are like her children.” Duka said as he and Merek walked down the darkening road to his cottage.

“Then I am privileged.” Merek said with a smile.

“Yes you are my friend, yes you are.” Duka said as they walked.

“Duka, what is all that? I know there is more than my requested clothing there.” Merek said and Duka looked down at the bundle.

“It is one set that you requested…and three simple work vests. They were to go to another Village but they were never picked up…Vencor thought that you would like them, he used a bit of magic to alter the sizes…he sends them as a gift.” Duka said in a small voice and Merek once again knew he expected to be reprimanded.

“I will have to send him my thanks then.” Merek said as he clapped his friend on the shoulder, making him feel better he hoped.

Together the two of them walked back to Merek’s cottage, Merek silently wondering if anyone would be at the bath house this close to supper time.

“If you like I can get things settled back at your cottage and retrieve your evening meal if you’d like to go to the bath house and rest awhile.” Duka said as the cottage came into view.

“I would like that very much. I would like it even more if you would stay and share the meal with me.” Merek said as he pushed the door open, but paused as he stepped inside.

The large room had been transformed while he had been working for Demara. Gone was the small table and rickety little chair, in its place stood a two person dinning table made of dark polished wood, with two matching, intricately carved chairs. A long, thickly cushioned sofa sat underneath the window that looked out into the forest, a small table sitting at either end. Near the fire place sat a very comfortable looking armchair with a matching footstool. Several richly woven rugs were scattered across the floor, matching the chair and sofa in one way or another and two tall, multi shelf book cases sat near the door.

“I hope you like it. It has come mostly from unclaimed estates or from those who had excess they were going to sell or destroy. There is not much upstairs, a few small trunks for you to store your clothing or possessions in, a small nightstand with an oil lamp, nothing beautiful.” Duka said quietly as a blush crept up around his cheeks.

Merek for a moment wanted to feel ashamed because he could not call any of the furniture that now made the small dark cottage so beautiful truly his but that was immediately squashed by his friends’ words.

“Nothing beautiful, if it is anything like what is before me then that cannot be a true statement,” Merek said as he took the clothing bundle from his friend and placed it on the table, before hugging him again, and this time Duka returned it, “You must carry my thanks to those who were kind enough to donate these treasure to me, and I can never thank you enough for working so quickly. I am honored to call you my friend.” Merek said, his hands resting on Duka’s shoulders. Merek smiled when the younger man blushed more fiercely.

“You are far too kind Merek. Many of them were only too happy to give the furniture away. Alvar are long lived and accumulate far more property than is strictly required for a home over our life times.” Duka said and Merek was quiet for a moment…he had forgotten the Alvar life span, which could easily go past two hundred years.

“I guess I am lucky then. I will still have to work hard to repay their kindness.” Merek said as he let his hands fall from Duka’s shoulder, hooking a smile on his face at the sudden thought that had occurred to him.

“No worries, it will be taken care of. For now though you should bathe, and take some time to relax, it is likely you will have the bath house to yourself.” Duka said and Merek smiled genuinely, a bath did sound very nice.

Merek took one of the soft work vests, cloth breeches and undergarments and stowed them in his rucksack, carefully adding his bath soap to it.

“There are a few towels in the storage cupboard near the back door and the bath house is just beyond those trees.” Duka pointed out of the window.

“Very good, I shall return shortly.” Merek said and Duka nodded.

Merek slipped through the darkening trees till he reached the low roofed stone building, again noticing that this was not an Alvar structure. He looked around, noticing that in the light he would be able to see his house from where he stood, before he pushed open the aged wooden door and inhaled the steamy, mineral scented air.

He felt around the dark walls till he found a dust covered lamp and a striker on a cobweb covered shelf high by the door.

Merek lit the lamp and turned the flame up a bit to see the room. It was small, with a deep stone tub sunken into the floor. He watched the steam rise off the water as it swirled around the tub, noticing the small openings at either end of the tub and the way the water swirled around.

“It’s been rigged to constantly fill and empty to keep it from stagnating, interesting.” He said to himself as he stripped out of his clothes and slipped into the wonderfully warm water.

“Gods above and below, this feels good.” He murmured contently to the darkness before he ducked under the little waves, immersing himself in the hot water.

Merek took his time letting himself float around in the chest deep hot spring, noticing the water was hotter on one side than it was on the other.

I bet this water is much hotter when it is underground, near boiling even.’ He thought to himself as he reached for his rucksack and extricated his herbal soap and washing rag.

He stepped up onto a bench under the water and sat down on the dusty ground as he lathered up his rag and cleaned himself thoroughly for the first time in months. As he washed his private parts he smiled indulgently as his manhood swelled at the attention.

It has been quite a time since I have indulged myself.’ He thought as he stroked his now rigid flesh with the soapy clothe.

Merek could not help himself, it had been months since he had sought physical pleasure, from himself or another. Judging by the state of the room he was in, the wash room was not much used so he felt the chances of being interrupted were slim.

Merek threw back his head and let a low groan escape his throat as he moved the slick cloth up and down with greater speed, half formed images of lovers past and the nights he’d spent with them flashing through his mind. Just before the climax, as the tingling heat spread through his body a new vision flashed in his mind, what Duka could look like without his clothing.

Merek imagined the youth’s long limbs to be soft and pale, imagined his long fingers sliding up and down his body, pictured taking his warm red lips with his own, he groaned again at the sweetness he imagined the beautiful Alvar to taste of.

His imagination quickly became too much for him, taking the young Alvar for his lover caused his body to tingle in a way it had never done before. The pleasure as his seed exploded from his body and spilled into the warm cloth caused stars to pop before his eyes.

Merek pulled the clothe away and cleaned himself before tossing it away toward the door. He pushed himself down into the hot water and continued to relax, letting the post orgasmic bliss carry his thoughts away.

He knew he should feel bad, or embarrassed about imaging Duka, they were friends. Duka was his aide, nothing more. Though that would not stop Merek if Duka ever showed the slightest bit of interest in him, if that ever happened, the beautiful Alvar man would be his in a heartbeat.

Merek pulled himself out of the hot tub and dried off before getting dressed. He enjoyed the feeling of the soft sleeveless vest, though it was a bit tight across the chest, he loosened the laces a bit to make it comfortable.

Soon as he was dressed and had retrieved his soiled towel and wash clothe he left the small bath house and went back to his cottage to find Duka sitting at the table with two trays of food, one of which he was already half way through.

“I hope you don’t mind, it looked far too good to wait.” Duka said with a smile as he walked in.

“Not at all, it does indeed look delicious.” Merek said as he laid his rucksack aside and sat down across from his friend and tucked into his own food.

*      *      *

The next fortnight passed slowly for Merek, soon the house he was staying in was furnished comfortably and he and Duka continued to spend time together, sharing supper every evening and often breakfast as well.

Merek continued to work for Demara for nearly four more days and enjoyed every moment of it. She kept him supplied with dried meat during lunch and despite her prickly attitude they managed to have several long and very informative conversations on herbal lore and their uses in healing and other faculties. Merek was pleased, but dismayed when at the end of his work Demara awarded him a further ten silver pieces in addition to the five per day he had already received, but he could not convince her that it was too much.

A high point in the short time he had been there was on the afternoon the day after he had finished working for Demara when Jaron showed up at his door one day, with his father in tow.

“Hello Tiberius.” Jaron exclaimed happily before he launched himself at Merek, wrapping his arms around his legs.

“Hello Young Master Moreno, it is good to see you too,” Merek said as he picked the small boy up and hugged him close to his chest as he turned to the older man, “ I am assuming you must young Jaron’s father, I am Merek Tiberius, as Jaron has most likely told you.” Merek said as he held out the hand that wasn’t busy supporting Jaron to the Alvar man.

“Indeed I am, I am Dacron Moreno; my son has told me much about you. I apologize for his manners, he is an excitable child.” Dacron said with a smile as he shook Merek’s hand.

“Think nothing of it, young Jaron’s excitement is a beautiful and welcome trait.” Merek said as he stood by to let Dacron in the house, Jaron was still attached to his side, his arms around his neck with Merek’s arm beneath him to hold him up as he looked around Merek’s.

“Would you care for a drink, I have only water but it is better than air.” Merek said as Jaron scrambled down his side to go investigate the pots of herbal salves and bunches of dried herbs on his nearby case.

“That would be most welcome Sir.” Dacron said as Merek motioned him to a chair by the table and handed him a glass of lukewarm water.

“To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit Master Moreno?” Merek asked as he sat down opposite Dacron.

“Simple selfishness and curiosity and please call me Dacron, Jaron has talked about you since the day you met and wanted to visit you. I managed to talk him into waiting till you were through with your work for Demara before we came. Normally I would have allowed Jaron to visit you on his own but my wife is very over protective, she rarely lets him out of her sight.” Dacron said as he glanced over at his son, who was now inspecting the little wooden animal carvings that Merek had done that were sitting on the fireplace mantle.

“Never a better answer if I have ever heard one Dacron.” Merek said as he held up his glass to the Alvar man, who saluted him in kind.

The two of them spent a few hours talking about nothing in particular as Jaron continued to explore and poke his nose into the corners of Merek’s house, not that he minded.

“Are you still looking for work Merek?’ Dacron asked as he poured himself a glass of water.

“Yes I am, more out of a need for activity than for payment. I have never been a sedentary person; I have always had something to keep me active.” Merek said as Jaron came over and crawled up into his father's lap, looking a little tired.

“I have a friend who works as a wood carver; he makes toys and walking staffs, canes and the like, he is always looking for help. If those carvings are anything to go by then you have some talent, I could speak to him about taking you on if you’d like.” Dacron said as he wrapped the young boy securely in his arms.

“That would be most appreciated Dacron, most appreciated.” Merek said with a smile.

“Think nothing of it; I shall speak to him in the morning. For now I must be going though, I fear this young man needs a nap.” He said as he hefted Jaron and stood up.

“Wait,” Jaron called sleepily from his fathers embrace before digging two bright woven bracelets from the pocket of his breeches, “For the stone you gave me, and one for your friend Duka.” He said as he handed them over to Merek who smiled and leaned over to kiss the boy lightly on his forehead.

Unknown to him a smile curled Dacron’s lips.

“Can I come and visit sometime?” Jaron asked as his father pushed open the door.

Merek looked to Dacron before he answered, and smiled as he nodded his head in agreement.

“Of course you can little one.” He tells him, causing his sleepy face to light up in joy.

“Till later my friends.” Merek said as Jaron and Dacron left.

Since that afternoon barely a day had gone by that he hadn’t seen Jaron, the little Alvar boy and his parents had quickly become some of Merek’s favorite people, occupying a place in his heart right next to Duka, who was late for dinner.

Merek looked out of the window, the sun was already low in the sky, far lower then it usually was when Duka usually showed up with their evening meal, (which Merek was starting to find tiresome. He longed for more independence; he couldn’t wait to be able to cook his own meals, to be responsible for himself completely). It wasn’t the fact that he was hungry; he couldn’t shake the feeling that this wasn’t a good thing, that something was wrong.

*      *      *

Duka knew he shouldn’t have taken the short cut through the woods on his way to Merek’s. He had been running late all day and had decided to take the small side path between his house and Merek’s.

Before, all of Merek’s meals were prepared by a member of one of the Elder’s kitchen staff but rumors he had heard of late had caused him to start preparing his friends’ meals in his own home.

Duka had heard rumors of more plots against Merek, everything from attempting to bribe the council to expel him from the village to plots of drowning him one night in the bath house he frequented.

Before, he would have never paid them credence but he could not help the worry he felt creep up his spine every time he heard them, he had also seen Cilia stalking his steps from the shadows whenever he was with Merek.

It was the smug look of satisfaction that had begun to scare him whenever he saw her; he had become obsessively protective of his new friend. Though he was afraid to admit it he had started to see Merek in a new light. He had come to live for every smile, every look; every casual touch Merek bestowed upon him.

Duka dreamed on more than one occasion what it would be like to have the older man pull him into the strong arms and kiss him, to have him lay him back on his bed and ravish him. He had to work very hard to keep those thoughts from showing in his face and actions.

Had Duka been paying attention he would have heard the rustling in the trees and noticed the flashes of movement out of the corner of his eyes, as it was he didn’t see anything until a group of Alvar males stood before him, with Cilia standing behind them.

Immediately Duka tried to call on his magic but he found it blocked, he looked up to see bright sparkle of black energy around the hands of the Alvar in front of him, his magic was getting nullified.

“What do you want?” Duka asked loudly, despairing the fact that he had never learned to use a blade.

“We have a message for you to carry to the mongrel that defiles our homes. The dog you willingly serve.” Said one of the men, Duka recognized him now Alfaric, a vehement supporter of the death penalty against humans, in his mind all humans deserved death, not just those who came unwanted into Alvar territory.

“Then speak, I have duties to attend to.” Duka said, trying and failing to keep his voice from shaking.

“Yes, I can only imagine the duties you perform for treacherous demon, is his bed soft Duka.” Cilia called over the shoulders of her henchmen.

“I have no time for this, out of my way.” Duka called but it only served to have the Alvar men surround him.

“Then we will be quick.” Alfaric said and Duka only had a moment to brace himself before the fist was slammed on his ribs.

Before he could marshal any attempt to fight back more fists found their way to his body, colliding with his chest, sides, back. Duka hit his knees under the onslaught, still trying to call on his magic as he fought the growing pain in his ribs, drawing short breaths to stay conscious.

Suddenly though, the barrier was gone and in a howl of wind and a crack like thunder the air around him sizzled with magic before exploding outward, knocking all of his attackers to the ground, dazed but unharmed.

Duka got up and staggered away, his only thought to get as far from them as possible. Before he had gone too far he felt a hand grab his ankle and pulled him to the ground. His injured side collided with a fallen branch and he cried out in pain as the heavy weight crawled on top of him.

“I’d forgotten how strong your magic was.” Alfaric hissed angrily.

“Stronger than you know.” Duka said through clenched teeth as he reached out and quickly pressed his hand to a tree trunk.

The tree began to glow and before Alfaric could tear Duka’s hand from the tree a branch swooped suddenly out of nowhere and collided with his chest, sending him flying off Duka to sprawl on the ground.

Duka sat up and saw the others stirring, if they got up he would never be able to out run them. He sat up, one arm still clutching his side, and pressed the other to the ground. Duka focused the magic and felt the massive tree roots beneath him, he called to them, asking for help, and the trees answered, The ground shook as the trees pulled their roots above the ground, wrapped them around the legs of the Alvar that lay on the ground, before diving back under the ground, holding them there.

“Thank you.” He whispered as he pulled his hand away from the ground and struggled to his feet.

Duka turned and trudged through the woods, using the energy around him to guide him to Merek’s, the trees would release his attackers when he was safe.

*      *      *

Merek felt it before he even opened the door; he felt it raise the hair on his arms and chest. He also knew who it was on the other side of the door before he even opened it and felt his heart sink in pain.

He opened the door and Duka stumbled across the threshold, immediately Merek pulled the younger man in his arms, noting his dirty, torn clothing and the way he held his sides.

“Duka, my love, what has happened?” Merek asked, laying aside his friendly manner.

“Was attacked, I…I think my ribs might be broken.” Duka said between clenched teeth.

Gently Merek maneuvered him over to the sofa and helped him lay back then removed his all but destroyed tunic.

“Great Mother.” Merek murmured as he saw the multitude of overlapping red patches that consumed his pale chest, sides and stomach. What drew his eyes though was a long line of broken skin down his side a large area of angry red swelling.

“This will hurt.” He warned before pressing gently against his side, which caused Duka to scream in agony.

“At least two, and if they’re not broken their severely fractured, we have to take you to a healer.” Merek said but Duka grabbed his wrist, pleading with his eyes.

“Please…no…wait till morning.” Duka all but begged and Merek grudgingly agreed.

“I have no skills in magic healing, the most I can do is treat your bruises with my salves.” Merek said and Duka nodded.

“Let me get you something for the pain.” Merek said before he freed himself from Duka’s grip and collecting the bottle of whiskey he had battered for a few days ago.

“Drink some of this.” He said a he poured a short cup of the alcohol for him.

Duka choked back a few swallows of the fiery liquor before falling back on the sofa.

“Let the whiskey work while I retrieve my salves and some bandages.” He said and Duka nodded painfully.

Merek bustled around collecting the correct salves and gathering soft cloths for bandages before returning to Duka, he had hoped that the whiskey would have put him to sleep or into a doze but he was still wide eyed and awake as ever.

“My salves will deaden the pain and speed the healing of the bruises but you are likely to feel some stinging and itching, try not scratch.” He said as he began to spread the cool herbal salves over the quickly bruising skin.

“Tell me what happened Duka.” Merek said as he worked.

Duka winced in pain as Merek worked but told him what happened. Merek was first shocked, then angry and then impressed by the magic Duka had conjured.

“I should never have come here, if I had known innocents would be hurt because of me I would have stayed away. Duka…I am so sorry, I never wanted anyone to be hurt, especially not you.” Merek said quietly as he let the tears slip down his face.

“Merek…do not blame yourself, it is the ignorance of others that caused this, nothing more. I am glad you have come here.” Duka said as he sat up, letting Merek wrap the cloths tightly around his chest tying two strips of cloth around him to keep them in place.

“I am glad I came here too, I am far happier here than I have ever been before.” Merek said as he took Duka’s hand in his, he knew he shouldn’t be acting this way. Duka was injured, in pain, vulnerable.

“Merek, look at me.” Duka said quietly, the pain momentarily gone from his voice.

Merek looked up and met his bright green eyes.

“I love you Merek.” He whispered and leaned forward carefully, inviting him.

“I love you Duka.” Merek whispered back as he leaned in the rest of the way, gently touching his lips to Duka’s.

With his love in pain from the broken rubs he knew nothing would come tonight but a kiss or a touch but that didn’t matter. Duka was his, and he was Duka’s, they had all the time in the world.

“Do you think you can make the stairs, you’ll be more comfortable in the bed than here on the sofa, though it is comfortable.” Merek said with a smile.

“Yes, I think I can do it, if you’ll help me.” Duka said with a small smile.

“I can do that.” Merek said as he helped him to his feet and supported the smaller man up the stairs.

Soon the two of them were shut securely in the bedroom and Merek had laid Duka back on the bed.

“Will you stay with me?’ Duka asked and Merek smiled.

“Of course my love.” Merek said as he kicked off his boots and crawled into the bed with Duka, who promptly scooted up to Merek and tucked his head against his chest.

“Sleep and heal my love, tomorrow I will take you to a healer or call for one and have your ribs tended.” Merek whispered as she stroked Duka’s short black hair.

Duka didn’t reply, just snuggled closer to Merek’s body, ignoring the slight throb of his ribs, luckily the whiskey was working now and let him fall into a fitful sleep.

*      *      *


Merek was up with the sun the next day and went downstairs. He changed from his vest and breeches into a tunic and fresh pants and was just collecting some fruit to take up to Duka when the young Alvar hobbled down the stairs.

“What in the world are you doing, you could hurt yourself.” Merek chided as he helped him over to the sofa.

“The pain isn’t as bad this morning, Alvar heal quickly but the bones are still broken.” Duka said as he took short breaths.

Before Merek could say anything a short rapping came to the door and both of them looked to the door, Merek felt Duka call on the magic around him and Merek dipped his hand into his boot, pulling out the short silver knife he had purchased from the Craftsmen he worked with.

Merek crept over to the door and peaked out of the window next to it, seeing little Jaron standing there with a big basket in his arms.

“It’s just Jaron.” He said as he opened the door.

Merek slipped the knife back into his boot before he opened the door and Jaron smiled up at him and ambled inside.

“Mother asked me to bring you this; she said you might like something sweet.” The little boy said before he became stock still and his eyes focused on Duka.

Before either of them could stop him the little boy set the basket down on the floor and ran up to Duka, who had only a second to register the feeling of the magic around the boy before he grabbed Duka’s wrist.

Merek somehow saw the pictures that flashed between Duka and Jaron, scenes he knew were from the fight last night.

“I’m going to go get daddy, he has magic, he might be able to heal Mr. Duka.” Jaron’s little voice was edged with a steel that sent chills through him, the little Alvar had power.

“You should stay here with Duka Jaron while I go, the bad people could be watching, I don’t want you to get hurt.” Merek said but the little boy shook his head.

“You can’t catch what you can’t see,” Jaron said and the air around him rippled and he vanished from sight, then reappeared with a smile on his face, “You two stay here, the bracelets will keep you safe till I get back with daddy.” Jaron said before touching his right hand to the center of his forehead before waving it in a great ark above his head.

Merek gasped audibly as the little woven bracelet, Jaron’s gift, suddenly burned gently against his skin.

Again before either of them could stop him the little boy once again vanished from sight, his departure marked only by the opening and closing of the door. Merek tried to follow after him but found that he could not cross the threshold.

“Jaron has sealed the house and us in it.” Duka said and Merek smiled.

“The little one has great power.” Merek said as he knelt in front of Duka.

“I remember when I first came here being surprised at how powerful the Alvar were, but Jaron is the strongest I have ever met.” Duka said as Merek helped him lie down on the sofa.

“I knew you weren’t from these woods, where do you hail from my love?” Merek asked as he sat down against the front of the sofa, he hoped talking would help relieve some of his pain.

“I came here from the mountain tribe in the eastern mountains five years ago. I came seeking Absolution and Acceptance like you and was granted it.” Duka said as his thoughts went back five years.

“What happened?’ Merek asked quietly.

“I fell in love with the wrong man. I thought he wanted me too. He was betrothed to a beautiful woman from a prominent family that he seemed to hate. We were friends, I thought…I thought by confessing how much I loved that we could be together, we could leave the mountains and be happy. I was wrong.

I told him how I felt and he scorned me, which was painful, but then he told my father, who cast me out immediately. I lived for a few months in a nearby human village but soon missed my own people, so I set off for here. I considered going to the desert people but they are very xenophobic, rejecting even other Alvar. Besides, the dessert is hot and ugly.

I came here, pleaded my case and the council accepted me. They stripped me of my surname and gave me a position in the records hall and library. I’ve been here ever since. Not many people want to associate with an outcast. Only Demara really talks to me, she trades for dried meat for me, knowing that the mountain Alvar consume it.” Duka said quietly.

Merek didn’t say anything as Duka related his history but he had to laugh at the fact that he was the one Demara traded in meat for; it seems they shared another secret desire.

Merek didn’t have time to say anything else, to comment on the little commonality because Dacron and Jaron had chosen that moment to come into the house.

“Jaron told me what happened. I only know basic healing, my talent is more closely related to protective magic, but I can try.” Dacron said as he knelt down next to Duka.

Merek’s attention was torn between watching the shimmering blue magic around Dacron’s hands as he tried to heal Duka and Jaron, who moved from the door to each window, pausing before each and whispering a string of words he didn’t understand and making the same hand gesture he had when he activated the protection magic he now knew was woven into the bracelets. He would never fail to be amazed at the power the little Alvar child commanded.

“Merek, this is beyond my skill to heal, he should go to the healing center, the ribs are just broken, the muscle is torn underneath and they have shifted terribly close to his lungs.” Dacron said and Merek nodded jerkily.

“Is it safe for him to be moved?” Merek asked, afraid to jostle him.

“Yes, I have used a spell to dull the pain, and to keep things from moving. It’s likely he’ll feel most of the pain as we walk, and he’ll be exhausted by the time we reach the healers but…it’s the best I can do.” Dacron said and Merek agreed.

“I’ll cast out magic to keep us safe as we walk, just in case the bad people are still around.” Jaron said but Dacron shook his head.

“No you’re going to go home and stay there little one.” He said but Jaron refused.

“No, I’m going too. Tiberius and Mr. Duka are my friends, I’m going too. You can send me home but I’ll just sneak out and follow you when you pass the house.” Jaron said with unabashed honesty.

“I swear you get that stubborn streak from your mother.” Dacron said, though he smiled when he did it.

With Duka leaning heavily on him, and Dacron holding Jaron, the four of them set off through the Village to the healing center, which was on the far side of the village.

Merek could not help but feel watched as he and his little troupe moved through the village, if it was because there were more people about than usual or because they were really being watched he didn’t want to think about.

“What has happened to him?” The old healer asked as he and the others pushed open the door to the healing center.

“He was attacked last night, I’ve tended his cuts and bruises but he has broken ribs. My friend Dacron can tell you more, he attempted to heal him but couldn’t.” Merek said as two other healers came and collected Duka and helped him to a bed at the end of the long building.

Dacron passed Jaron to Merek and followed the healers, explaining in a low murmur what he had found.

“Don’t worry Tiberius; Ella is the best healer in all of the Emerald Forest.” Jaron said as he scrambled down Merek’s side and led him over to a small alcove and pushed him down onto a bench to wait for the healers to come collect him.

The two of them sat in silence as they waited for news of Duka’s healing. Merek did nothing, only morosely reflected on how pale his lover had been when they reached the healing center. Jaron he knew was either casting or withdrawing some sort of magic he had cast, Merek could feel the tingle of the magic on his skin and hear the faint crackle in that hung in the air around the little one.

“Someone’s coming for you.” Jaron whispered suddenly, but he was not looking down the healing ward, but instead toward the entrance of the building.

A few moments later the door was pushed open by two Alvar solider-guards, a sword sheathed at their hip. A dark scowl distorting their delicate features.

“Merek Tiberius, you are summoned by the High Council of Oak Haven. We are here to escort you.” One of the guards said darkly and Merek felt the little boy stiffen on his lap.

“Please give the Council my regards, I beg that they postpone the meeting, my aide was attacked last night and is with the healers, I would wait to see how he is.” Merek said as he stood up and sat the restless little boy on to the bench.

“The Council is aware of this, they send their sympathies; but it is not a request. We have been ordered to take you to them; we would rather not resort to force.” The other guard said as he stepped forward and Merek had to place a hand on Jaron’s shoulder to keep him immobile.

“I will of course answer the council’s call.” Merek said as he moved toward the guards, with Jaron at his hip.

“I am going too.” He piped up and Merek felt the magic swirl around the little boy and saw the guards face’s pale, one of them inched toward his sword.

“NO,” Merek said more loudly then he should have before kneeling down next to the little Alvar, “No Jaron, you stay here and protect Duka…I…I will be back soon.” Merek said as he bit off the lie he was sure he was telling, he feared he would not be leaving the council chamber with his head. Why else would they demand his presence, threatened with force to do it?

Merek watched as Jaron first cast a mean look to the guards who stood by their side then touched the center of his forehead, then his lips, then the little woven bracelet at his wrist. Merek felt the braid burn again, harder this time, then felt as if a heavy mantle had fallen around him. He knew the little one was trying to protect him, but he knew it wouldn’t do much good if the council decided to kill him.

“Thank you little one,” He whispered before kissing the boys forehead, “Look after Duka, your mother, and your father until I return.” He said and Jaron nodded, looking sad.

Merek stood up and followed the guards out of the healing center, saying what he was sure would be his final goodbye to Duka in his mind.

Merek never saw the orb of yellow magic that little Jaron had conjured between his palms, or the bright flashes he sent from it that vanished through the walls.

*      *      *

Duka writhed under the hands of the healers that tended to his broken ribs and the torn muscles, despite the drugs they had given him he was still in pain, strange pain that tore at his heart. His hands gripped the sheets hard as he fought the pain suddenly a warm soothing voice that echoed through his mind, Merek’s voiced washed over him and the pain receded.

Goodbye my love, I leave you before I ever get to truly love you. Fear not, without me here you will be safe, little Jaron has promised to keep you safe and I’ll watch you from Elusia, and maybe one day I can hold you again.’

The pain and sadness in him brought a fresh wave of pain to his body, and the pain brought with it a violent explosion of magic, knocking the healers away from his body.

Duka sat up violently, ignoring the sudden searing pain in his ribs. Ignoring the dazed healers he stood up and tried to leave, but had barely gone two steps before he felt two fingers being pressed against his neck and then the energy left his body, he fell to his knees and through the haze of pain and heartbreak he heard the healers and Dacron.

“Get him back on the bed, use magic to put him to sleep, he’ll kill himself if he keeps thrashing about.” Ella snapped at the others and Duka was too weak to protest the hands that griped him, and lifted him back to the bed.

*      *      *

Merek stood silently in the middle of the hall, his face impassive as the Council eyed him closely.

“We were shocked to hear about the attack on Duka, we will see to it that he is cared for.” Councilwoman Irvana said quietly, it was at her words that Merek knew he would never see Duka again.

“We know why you think you have been summoned here Merek, but we have no intention of killing you, but…” Councilmen Moreti said before pausing, then the lead Elder took up.

“But we feel we cannot allow you to stay in Oak Haven, or indeed the Emerald Forest, controlled as it is by the Alvar. Through no true fault of your own your presence here has caused a ripple of discontent, not only in Oak Haven but in the other Alvar villages within the forests barriers, the most grievous consequence of which has been the attack on Duka.” The Elder finished and Merek knew that he should feel relieved to be allowed to leave with his life, but he wasn’t, now it was true, he’d never be allowed to see Duka again; he would be banished from the forest immediately…at least in death he could still watch over his heart.

“I understand. I will gather what provisions I can and be gone from the village before dark.” Merek said as he bowed to the Elders, he knew he should thank them for his life but he could not.

Before he could turn to leave the Elders called his attention.

“We'll appoint you a guard to protect you until you reach the boundaries of the forest. You are welcome to take any of the items from your cottage that you desire, or send for them when you have found a new home.” The Lead Elder said but Merek shook his head.

“A generous offer High Council but once I leave this forest I will have no use for items beyond practicality, I will have no house, no home to store the finer things of life in. My so called crime in the human society has made me outcast. I will run from every city, village, or town that I try to stay in. I would ask that the items I have been given to be returned to who gave them to me. Upon my mantle is a small collection of carved wooden animals, those I ask be given to Jaron Moreno.” Merek said softly, he was a true outcast now, he could no longer live in a human controlled place, and he would not darken the boarders of another Alvar kingdom, there would be no more innocents hurt because of him, no more Duka’s.

“What crime is this you speak of that is so dark as to carry such a sentence?” The high elder asked.

“I was born in the city of Serfra, but left when I was ten years of age and spent the next twenty traveling with my mother, learning and growing. Upon her death, a year ago, I returned to the village of my birth and petitioned to become one of the village protectors. I was surprised to discover that the people had changed. “

“Where once had dwelt good and honorable people now was consumed by greedy, corrupt tyrants. I did not realize the people had changed so badly until it was too late, I had to hold me position for one year before I could move on. I stayed, and foolishly hoped that I could make some sort of difference.” Merek paused to fight down the bitter memories before he went on.

“Three months ago a man accosted one of the city nobles and stole a trinket from them, an item of no true importance that could be easily replaced. The nobleman demanded the return of the object and the man’s life in payment for the deed.”

“As a Protector you are bound to uphold the laws of the city and obey any command from one of it’s citizens so long as it does not run afoul to the established laws of the city, and unfortunately the nobleman was within his rights to demand such a thing. I was the protector assigned to the nobleman’s request. I promised to do my best to retrieve his stolen item but I had no intention of killing the man, secretly I intended to send him from the city.”

“I found the man, it turns out he was a cripple in his hand and one foot, he could not work, he also had two small children. I had no intention of heeding the order to kill the man, but sadly I was not the only one to find him. Another of the Protectors happened upon him at the same time as I did. He demanded that I kill the man, in front of his children. I refused and before I could intervene the other Protector killed the man.” Merek had to again stop and bit back the urge to vomit at the scenes that flowed into his mind.

“After murdering the man he took me into custody, when the other so-called Protectors found out what I had done they beat me into submission, and did so on a daily basis for the better part of a month while I was locked in an underground cell.

When I was released I was cursed with the mark of the Traitor. You see, in the human culture there is not more heinous a crime than a Protector who defies an order. The mark is magical in nature and prevents me from going into any human controlled city, town, or village with a Protector, and EVERY human controlled habitation has a Protector.”

“When I leave the forest I will be a wanderer, a nomad; left to hunt and gather for my existence. I thank you for the time you have allowed me to remain in Oak Haven, it has been a beautiful respite, the kindness I have been shown here, though forever marred by the pain I have caused, will sustain me for many years.” Merek finished and the members of the council sat silently in their own thoughts.

“I would take my leave now if it pleases the Council.” Merek said quietly, rousing the assembled Alvar from their thoughts.

“Of course, go in peace Merek Tiberius.” The Lead Elder said and Merek bowed before turning to leave.

The guards did not follow him out of the hall, and Merek was glad for it. He thought of returning to the Healing Center but he knew if he saw Jaron’s sweet little smile or Duka’s beautiful eyes that he would never be able to leave. It was better this way.

As he walked through the oddly empty village he seemed to notice things he hadn’t before. The way the sunlight filtered through the trees, dappling everything in a green hue, the scent of jasmine and honeysuckle mingled with a thousand other scents, both of the earth and Alvar invention, even the way the grass beneath his feet was never truly trampled down but always sprang back up straight and neat, as though his foot had never been there.

Merek would truly miss this place, the warmth and peace of the forest kingdom had brought an ease to his burden and calm to his thoughts he had not felt since the passing of his mother. He took a deep breath and resigned himself to the fact he would never feel this peace again.

Soon he was back at the little cottage and once inside he had to smile at it. The table where he and Duka had shared so many meals, willed away hours talking or playing a game of chess, a delightful game of strategy that Duka had been teaching him.

Merek forced his thoughts away from his friend, and would be lover, he’d never see him again. He picked up his rucksack collected his clothing, his traveling cloak, some food, a few water skins his herbal salves and balms.

“Tiberius…what are you doing?” Jaron’s little voice echoed from the doorway, drawing Merek’s attention.

Merek turned and looked at the little boy, the tears streaming down his face showed that he didn’t need to answer, not really.

He walked over and scooped up the little boy and held him tightly, soothing the child’s trembling by stroking his back.

“You know what I’m doing little one. The Council says I must go before anyone else gets hurt, so I will go.” Merek whispered and Jaron clung to him tighter.

“No…its not your fault, I won’t let you go.” Jaron cried and Merek felt Jaron call the magic and felt his bracelet burn and this time saw the little shimmer that crossed in front of the door.

Merek smiled and sat down on the sofa, cuddling the little boy on his lap.

“You know I have to go Jaron, people will keep getting hurt if I stay. It hurts so much that Duka got hurt because of me, if I stayed and you got hurt, or your daddy or Demara…it would hurt so much more than having to leave. Please let me go little one.” Merek whispered as he stroked Jaron’s hair.

Jaron didn’t say anything he just touched his forehead then waved his arm in the arc above his head and Merek felt the magic on the doors and windows break.

Merek smiled and sat little Jaron down on the table and went to his mantle and took the little wooden animals off and brought them to Jaron and tucked them into the pouch the boy wore on his belt.

“You take these little one and every time you look at them, every time you play with them, think of me and I’ll know it and think of you.” He said and Jaron gave him a watery smile.

Jaron slid down from the table and took Merek’s far larger hand between his tiny ones and kissed the woven little bracelet, Merek felt a strange tingling in his head and looked down at the boy.

“When you’re in danger I’ll see and I’ll activate the bracelet’s magic. You’ll be safe.” Jaron said and before he could even say thank you Jaron turned and ran from the house, tiny tears falling from his eyes.

Merek wanted to go after the boy but he knew he couldn’t. He continued his packing and scoured the house for anything that might be useful. It was close to dark when it happened, He had just picked up a bunch of dry herbs when pain spiked through his head.

For an instant he was running through the darkening forest, much shorter than he should have been…seeing through a child’s eyes, Jaron’s eyes. He tripped over an upturned tree root and crawled as fast as he could. A spike of pain across his backside forced Merek back into his own mind.

He stood for a single instant before fleeing the house and taking off into the trees. He knew, somehow, that Jaron’s charm had someone worked both ways, letting him see when Jaron was in danger. He used his sudden inexplicable knowledge to find the little Alvar. He burst through a copse of trees to see a tall, white haired Alvar lady with a whip raised in her hand standing over Jaron, who cowered against a tree.

Without thinking Merek tore the knife from his boot and threw it at her. The toss had been poorly judged and instead of the blade burring itself in her shoulder the butt of the dagger simply smacked into the back of her head with surprising force.

“You will leave the child alone wench, your quarrel is with me, not the boy.” Merek growled as the woman turned to him, her eyes a horrible black in the shadows of the trees.

“I wondered if you’d show, I felt the brats magic when I caught up to him, and again when he felt the tip of my whip.” Before Merek could do anything she cracked the whip forward, slicing open Merek’s thin tunic, leaving a bloody slash down his chest.

“Tiberius!!” Jaron shouted and Merek felt the bracelet burn as Cilia moved close and cracked her whip again, catching his thigh in a bruising hit.

“That brat’s magic won’t protect you; I have spell casters on my side too.” Cilia taunted madness in her voice.

Merek staggered and clutched a tree, suddenly a picture came to his mind, and ones he knew weren’t from Jaron. He saw three more Alvar stalking through the forest, men with dark auras, evil men. He tore his hand away from the tree and dodged another blow from the whip, calling to Jaron.

“Jaron, run, more are coming, too many, use your magic and go.” Merek called as he reached for a large fallen tree branch and chucked it at Cilia, who dodged it, even an old Alvar was still faster and stronger than any human.

“Tiberius.” Jaron called again and before Merek could say anything to the child he saw a flash of silver through the air and reached out and his knife landed squarely in his hand.

Merek held it tightly as the little boy vanished from sight and watched the bushes rustle as he took off, Merek knew that he was heading away from danger, the other Alvar were coming from behind him. Jaron would reach the village before they got there, the little one was safe.

The dagger fell from his hand as the whip cracked again, this time cutting into his shoulder. Merek fell to his knees; it didn’t matter anymore; touching the ground he somehow saw the men getting closer and Cilia standing over him.

He pulled his hand from the ground and clasped his hands together and bowed his head and prayed to the Dark Mother and Father, asking them for a swift death so that he could join them in Elusia. Merek would not try and fight back, he knew it would be pointless, he could not stand against the elderly Alvar woman; three healthy men would be suicide.

“Stand up and face us. Go to the hell fires with some pride.” A rough, dark male voice called behind him before the boot collided with his side, knocking him to his side and the air from his lungs.

“I have pride. I saved an innocent child from the clutches of three madmen and a demon wench, my death will sate your blood lust and those I care about here will be safe. My heart could not be more full.” Merek wheezed as he fought to catch his breath.

He was prepared for it but it was sill a surprise when a yell of rage pierced the air before the onslaught of fists and boots that collided with him. Self preservation kicked in and Merek tried to protect his midsection from the blows but a sharp shock ran through him and his arms were ripped from his sides, the magic gave his attackers full access.

Merek couldn’t defend himself, his attacker's magic kept him immobile while they beat him to death. He tried to retreat somewhere in his mind but he couldn’t, the pain kept him present. Suddenly Merek felt an overwhelming pressure in his chest, pressure that suddenly exploded knocking his attackers away.

Merek didn’t know where the power had come from, he had never used magic; never had the talent but that was the only thing it could have been. Self preservation urged him on, he rolled onto his stomach and crawled feebly to the same tree Jaron had been sitting against. He pulled himself up and felt his body protest, he had broken ribs, he knew that, and who knew what else.

His attackers were already stirring, he knew he should try to flee or call out or call the magic back to him but he couldn’t he had no strength to move, no breath to even speak and he didn’t know how to use the magic. Soon the four Alvar were back on their feet and coming toward him, he closed his eyes as the pain in his body reached its limit.

Merek felt the strength leave his body, felt it drain from him like water from a broken glass. The last thing he knew before the darkness swallowed him was the angry shouts and frightful yells and the shaking of the earth, his attackers had decided to use magic to finish him off; at least falling into the bowels of the earth would be quick. He fell sideways into darkness and knew no more.

*      *      *

Merek felt the warmth through the darkness; they fought with each other, each one trying to gain his attention. Merek was torn, the darkness held the promise of no pain, but the warmth, while painful, was more pleasing and held an enticing lure, the promise of something…if only he could remember what.

Merek rolled in the darkness, wrapping the warmth around his aching body.

“Wake up Tiberius, its been three days, wake up so we can play.” The small frightened voice echoed out of the warmth, Jaron’s voice called at his consciousness, pulling him back to the living world, Merek resisted, wanting to sink away from the pain.

“Wake up now boy, I’m an old woman and have a garden that needs tending.” This time it was Demara’s voice that cut into the darkness but he could not be roused back to the living world, even with the promise of verbally sparring the lovingly evil old Alvar woman.

“Come back to me my love, it has been too long since I felt your touch, come back to me so we can be happy.” That is what it took, Duka’s whispered love in the darkness yanked Merek into the warmth, into the light.

He opened his eyes to see the high vaulted ceiling of the Healing Center, bright sunlight shining on his face.

“You’re awake!!” Merek heard little Jaron’s squeal of delight before he felt the tiny arms wrap around his neck and the weight of Jaron’s head on his chest.

Ignoring the throb of pain in his body he wrapped his arms around the little Alvar and hugged him fiercely, looking above him he saw Duka smiling down at him along with Demara, Dacron, and a beautiful woman who could only be Jaron’s mother, she had his eyes and the same curve of lips.

“When I ran out of the forest I thought I’d never see you again Tiberius” Jaron whispered, his words for Merek only.

“And I never thought I’d see you. It seems we all make mistakes.” He whispered back as he gently pushed the little one up so he could sit up on the bed.

Duka helped him to sit up against the wall and the pain from it let him forget modesty and let the blanket fall around his waist. Merek could feel that he was bared to the waist, being dressed only in undergarments and thin trousers, his naked, hairy torso on display to everyone present.

“What happened? The last thing I remember was the attackers standing over me and the earth shaking.” Merek said to the group at large as Jaron climbed up on the bed next to him snuggled up to his bare side. Merek wrapped an arm around his side without thinking about it, suddenly worrying about how it might look, he looked to Jaron’s parents, they only smiled at him, so Merek let the little one stay.

“It was Jaron; he burst into the Healing Center and told us what was going on. Dacron was here with the healers and Demara was here visiting, she went to warn the Council while Dacron and I sped off to find you.” Duka said as he sat down on the bed and took Merek’s free hand in his.

“I had to share memories with Duka to show him where you were, Cilia’s whip cut my leg, I couldn’t lead them to you; it hurt too much.” Jaron whispered and Merek fought the sudden surge of rage and held the little one tighter, the vile demon had hurt his little friend, she would pay if he could help.

“So long as you are well now little one, you helped save me.” Merek said as he stroked the boy’s hair.

“He is, the healers fixed him pretty quickly the cut was shallow as only the tip got him. Cilia is dead, as are two of her accomplices.” Duka said as though he was reading his mind.

“How?” Merek asked but Duka shook his head, looking at little Jaron.

“Later, all that matters is that you are safe and mending. Then Ella was beside herself when she saw all the cuts and bruises and found out you had broken ribs too, she hates ribs, says they’re difficult to heal.” Duka said with a smile.

The little group talked quietly of trivialities for a few hours, and would have gone on longer if Jaron hadn’t yawned loudly at Merek’s side.

“You need to go home little one and get some sleep.” Merek said as he pushed Jaron toward his father, Merek expected him to resist but he did not; he gave him a sleepy goodbye and let his father carry him from the Center, his mother at his side.

“I want to know what happened Duka.” Merek said once Jaron and his family had left the Healing center.

“Dacron and I got there just as they were surrounding you by the tree, he threw bolts of magic at them and knocked one of them away but the bolts didn’t affect the other three. I called to the trees and asked them for help, they shook the earth and opened a deep chasm, they fell in. I didn’t intend on it, it was the same place I had been attacked, I asked the trees for help then too, they must have decided more action was needed.” Duka said sadly, remorse in his voice.

Merek pulled him down to his chest and kissed his forehead, noting as he did that Demara seemed to have vanished.

“I’m sorry you had to take life for me my love, it wasn’t fair.” He whispered and Duka smiled at him.

“If you have to leave, Merek, I want to go with you. I don’t care if we have to live our lives as travelers, I’ll never be parted from you, and if you leave me I’ll follow.” Duka said and Merek smiled at the promise.

“If it is your wish I will take you with me anywhere my love.” He said before he leaned close and kissed his new mate.

Merek felt a prickle run down his spine and knew someone was coming for him, he broke his gentle kiss and pushed a confused Duka up straight just as two soldier-guards rounded the corner to his little alcove.

“The high Council sends its apologies to Merek Tiberius for the attack he suffered but requests his presence for a meeting.” One of the guards said without looking at him.

“Merek is still healing; he cannot stand before the council in his condition.” Demara was suddenly back, her voice low and dangerous.

“The Council knows this and apologizes profusely but it is a matter of great importance and his attendance is vital.” The other guard said aggressively, though he was cowed by the look Demara gave him.

“Tell the Council I will be there shortly, I need aide in dressing and moving.” Merek said and the guards nodded and left.

“You're crazy; the magic is still working to fix your ribs and the bruises done to your organs.” Duka said but Merek shook his head, somehow he knew this was more vital than even the guards knew.

“This is important my love, don’t ask me how I know, I just do.” Merek said as he pushed the blanket off of him and reached for his rucksack, which for some reason lay by his bed.

Merek jumped at the touch on his shoulder and the images that flashed through his mind, seeing himself last night when the earth showed him the other attackers and the force that knocked them away from him.

“I didn’t know you had magic.” Duka said as he pulled his hand away from Merek’s shoulder and walked around in front of him.

“I didn’t either, until last night.” Merek said as he pulled out a vest and proper breeches, explaining, as he ignored the pain and got dressed, about what had happened.

“Perhaps it is your Alvar blood, magic will lie dormant unless you are trained in it, or are in great danger.” Duka said as he helped Merek to his feet.

“Yes well let’s worry about that after he’s killed himself in this foolish task.” Demara said as she took a walking staff from next his bed and thrust it into the hand that was resting on Duka’s shoulder for support..

“I love you too Demara.” Merek said as the three of them left the hall.

Soon the three of them were standing in the center of the Meeting Hall and the council stood before them.

“We called only Merek here today.” One of them said, one that hadn’t spoken before.

“I could not make it here myself, I needed the help of my aide, and Demara refused to leave my side, she is such a sweet woman.” Merek said and he knew if he hadn’t been injured that Demara would have hit him.

“We have called you here to offer our apologies; we did not think that this was a possibility. We assure you that had she not been killed in the attempt to save you that Cilia would have been executed. Attack on an innocent child, conducted in outright malice, is unforgivable to the Alvar.” Councilwoman Irvana said, distaste twisting her mouth.

“Is that all you have called him here for, that could have waited till he was better.” Demara snapped, Merek got the impression that she was one of the few who could have gotten away with that.

“No lady Demara it is not,” The High Elder said and Merek noticed the twinkle in his eyes as he looked at Demara, “We have called him here to reverse our former ruling. Word has spread the last four days of Master Tiberius’ actions in protecting the Moreno boy and we have been inundated with many requests to keep Tiberius in Oak Haven. We have decided that the benefits out weigh the risks. If it would please him, and the masses, then offer Merek Tiberius full Absolution and Acceptance in Oak Haven.” The High Elder finished, Demara looked shocked, Duka looked elated and Merek would have fainted if Duka hadn’t been holding him up.

“It is…it is more than I could ever dream of. I accept high council, I place myself, my service, and any worthy skill at your disposal…I would bow but I don’t think I could straighten up again if I did.” Merek said with a smile and the council actually laughed, well most of them.

“If there is anything you need until you are fully settled you need only ask.” Councilman Moreti said with a smile.

“There is one thing, of supreme importance I must request.” Merek said to the surprise of the Council and his friends.

“Speak Master Tiberius.” The High Elder said.

“I ask permission to seek Duka as my mate, to share my home and my name with him.” Merek said and Duka looked as though he would faint from the shock.

“We would grant, if Sir Duka agrees.” The High Elders said with a smile.

“I agree, fully.” Duka said immediately without even being asked.

“Then inform us of the day you intend to bond and the whole of the village shall celebrate with you, we shall have feasting and celebrations.” The High Elder said and Merek nodded.

“Soon my love you and I will be never be parted.” He whispered as they left, Demara stayed behind to speak with the High Elder, Merek could feel the lightening between them.

*      *      *

Merek lay back on his bed, Duka wrapped around him. Merek was still breathing heavily, his body covered in sweat. He looked to his beautiful lover; he was in the same position.

They had been married seven days ago and spent every evening wrapped in each others love making. Merek loved nothing better than having Duka’s pale limbs wrapped around him, feasting on lips, neck and chest with the heat of his lover's pushing him into ecstasy.

That wasn’t true though, he loved pleasing Duka; loved knowing that the moans of pleasure that escaped his throat, the sheen of sweat that coated his body, and the hard length of Duka’s manhood pressing against him was his doing that he had caused it.

With magic Merek pushed open the curtain’s letting the soft moonlight into the room.

“You’ve gotten good at that.” Duka whispered, his voice was still shadowed with post-orgasmic bliss.

“You’re a wonderful teacher.” Merek said as he pulled his lover close and kissed him.

It wasn’t just Duka’s teachings that had brought out his hidden magic but the ritual they had passed through on their wedding night.

That night, after the feasting and celebrating was done, Merek had taken his lover home, intent on consummating their love.

“Merek…I want more then love making tonight, I want to give you something…a part of me; it’s called a Melding.” Duka had said to him quietly, looking afraid.

“What will it do?” Merek asked, truly curious.

“It’s an old ritual. It swaps something between us. I don’t know what it will do, not fully. I know it will let you share the Alvar life span, and will likely open your magic….I just…I cannot bear the thought of you falling before me…knowing how long my people live and how short lived yours are.” Duka whispered.

Merek stood for a moment that too had crossed his mind, he would be willing to do anything to stay with his lover longer, even if it did change him nothing would change his love to Duka.

That night as Merek entered his lovers’ body for the first time he felt Duka reach into his mind, his spirit. Merek felt the magic flow between them, and something stronger, more powerful as they moved their bodies in unison pushing each other toward completion. At the height of their passion Duka pressed his lips to Merek’s and that was when he felt it, some great forces moved from his body into Duka’s and something in Duka’s came into his, filling a hole inside him he never knew was there.

Neither he, nor Duka, knew exactly what had swapped between them, nor did the few people they had confided in. Outwardly not much had changed, Merek now felt stronger than he had before and his hidden magic was indeed stronger than it had been, or should have been for a part human. He was also glad that neither he nor Duka seemed to have suffered any ill effects.

“You must sleep my love; Jaron is coming in the morning. You promised to teach him how to mix herbs if he showed you how to weave.” Duka’s whispered voice brought Merek from his thoughts.

“Aye, I remember. Goodnight my sweet.” Merek whispered back as he pulled his lover close to his body.

“And you my heart.” Duka said as he nuzzled against his lovers body.

Neither of them had ever thought this is where they would be, two outcasts finding love and family in the eternal forest.

***********************************************************************************

I want to thank Rush for her work in editing and for basically giving me the story summery you all read that brought you here.

This world is fiction, a creation of my mind, as such STDs do not exist in it, but our world IS real and as such I advocate safe sex practices. This is an original work of mine, please do not remove or copy the story without permission from me.


© 2010 NightOwl

Story Discussion

Copyright © 2010 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2010 - Summer - Out of this World Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ooooh, sweet. Perhaps, even, saccharrine, but I loved Duka and Jaron. Did you know that cilia are the flappy bits that push single celled organisms along? I was quite taken with that as a name for that evil witch :D She was no better than a germ!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..