Jump to content
    Rainscape
  • Author
  • 1,259 Words
  • 1,439 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The New Kid - 1. Chapter 1

Adam wasn't a perfect student by any means. His grades weren't great, averaging c's and occasionally b's, sometimes he gets in trouble in class, but overall he's a good kid.
 
Currently he's a Junior at Linbur High School. He lives with his mom, dad, and brother, in a cozy one story.
 
Adam spent the morning before class doodling in his paper, he wanted to appear disinterested in the class gossip, but today was an interesting topic: they were getting a new classmate, a transfer student.
 
The buzz about the kid had been going around for awhile, and today was that day. It was rare for someone to move to their town, so it was always exciting when that happened.
 
Mr. Benny walked into the room and called out "okay kids, settle down, I know why we are all excited today," he glanced over to the door, and smiled at whoever was there, "won't you please come join us?"
 
A boy walked in, he stood a few inches shorter than Adam, and he had semi-long brown hair and green eyes, a very handsome boy indeed. Adam did a double take at the sight.
 
"H-hello, I'm Jack, I just moved here from South Carolina, we moved due to my mom's new job, and I hope to get along well here." The boy, Jack, was very nervous while talking, but who wouldn't when put on the spot like that?
 
"Thank you," Mr. Benny said, dismissing him, "you may go find a seat."
 
Jack walked back, most seats were taken, but Adam called out to him.
 
"Here, this one is open," he pointed at a desk that, to his luck, sat right next to him.
 
Jack quickly sat down, "thanks."
 
"No problem, I'm Adam by the way." He held out his hand.
 
"Jack," the boy replied taking it.
 
"Alright, there's plenty of time to get aquainted later, but now it's time to get to work," Mr. Benny called out, looking pointedly at the two boys, who both went a bit red in the face.
 
"This morning we are going to have a pop quiz," the class groaned in disapproval.
 
"I know, no one likes it, also since we have a new kid, I will go easy on them. Jack, you will have to do a review assignment, to show if you have learned this already." He held out the review sheet in his other hand, so it would be visible to him.
 
Adam knew most of the answers here, which surprised him a bit, but he got through the test fairly quickly, so in his free time, he took out his notebook, and did some random doodles in it.
 
He looked over to Jack, who was staring intensely at his work, but also seemed to be shifting around a lot, did he need to go to the bathroom? Adam wondered, he would ask, but he didn't want to embarass him, nor make Mr. Benny think he was trying to cheat.
 
The bell rang, time for the next period. Adam gathered his things, and when he looked to Jack's seat, the boy was already gone, and he left his stuff behind.
 
Adam approached his teacher's desk "hey, Mr. Benny?" The man looked up from his computer, he was older, looked to be in his 50s or early 60s.
 
"Yes?" Mr. Benny replied, he was in the middle of sending an email, but he put it on pause.
 
"Jack left his stuff in class, do you know what he has next hour so I can get it to him?" He really wanted to take it, and maybe get to talk to him a little more.
 
"Sorry, but I don't," Mr. Benny replied, "but he'll probably be back to get it, if not, I have him in my 5th hour class.
 
"Oh, okay," Adam said sadly.
--
 
Lunch rolled around, Adam sat with his usual friends at the lunch table. There was Christy, Stephanie, Justin, and Paul. Most he had only known since the previous year, but he had known Stephanie and Paul since they were 8.
 
"Hey," Stephanie greeted, with her signature smile. She was gorgeous, and was sought after by most guys at school, and in a different timeline, he supposed he might have dated her.
 
"Did you guys see the new kid?" Christy said, she had looks most would consider average, but Justin has a huge crush on her, which she has turned down on more than one occasion.
 
"Jack? Yeah, I have him in first hour," Adam replied, "he seems alright." He wanted to say 'he's pretty cute,' but he's not out to his friends yet.
 
"I have him in second, he was very quiet," Paul said.
 
"Yeah, first day jitters can do that, but I'm sure he'll warm up," Adam nodded.
 
"Maybe we should invite him to come sit with us," Christy suggested, scanning the lunchroom, with no sign of him.
 
The group chatted about various things until the bell rang, and it was time to go back to class.
 
--
 
6th hour rolled around, the last class for the day.
 
History, a subject that Adam didn't mind as much, and he was a little better at it than math.
 
He took his seat, to his pleasant surprise, Jack walked in, though he sat 2 rows ahead of him, so he would have to wait and talk to him after school.
 
"Okay kids, settle down," Mrs. Fischer said. She was also an older woman, just a few years younger than Mr. Benny, but unlike him, she had been at the school for nearly 15 years.
 
Good afternoon class, I'm sure you are all ready to get home, as am I, but now we must begin. Today's assignment isn't too terribly difficult, but as always, you can't consult the books" Mrs. Fischer said. papers were distributed to the class and everyone got to work.
 
The minutes ticked by, the end of school could not come sooner, but only 10 minutes passed since it began. He sighed and went back to his assignment. Slowly the time passed and the end of the day neared closer. He took a quick glance at Jack, the boy was focused on his work, oblivious to his surroundings.
 
Finally the bell rang indicating the end of the day and everyone gathered their belongings. He rushed to catch up to Jack who was just about to walk out the door. "Hey," Adam said.
 
"Oh hi," Jack replied.
 
"Um, do you have some free time? I could show you around, maybe get a bite to eat, there's also the arcade, which is pretty awesome."
 
"Sorry, that does sound fun, but mom wants me to go home, you know first day and all."
 
"Oh yeah, I totally get that. Maybe tomorrow then?" The boy gave it some thought.
 
"Sure why not."
 
"Great." Adam smiled,
 
"See you tomorrow then."
 
"Yeah." They parted ways.
 
Jack thought about Adam on his way home, the boy seemed kind of odd, immediately inviting him to hang out like that was not the norm. But the boy seemed nice, maybe he had a real friend. His expression turned dark, would Adam accept him even after learning his secret? He wasn't sure he could handle that rejection again.
Copyright © 2022 Rainscape; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..