Jump to content
    Ramune
  • Author
  • 2,447 Words
  • 643 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tear of the Goddess - 4. IV

"Dosn't that hurt?"

Turning round, the young boy saw a a little younger than him standing there. He hadn't noticed anyone behind him and he was shocked, making the small flame he had in his hand sizzle out. It was the first time he had seen someone outside his clan. With golden hair and bright blue eyes, it was what the boy had always imagined what forest spirits would look like. Maybe it was. He had never seen one but his father told him they exist so they must. What was he doing here? And what did he mean by hurt? Frowning, the boy traced the other's gaze to his own hands, black with soot, skin cracking slightly from playing with fire spells too much.

"Nope."

"But it's bleeding!"

He shrugged, feeling a bit awkward as the other boy looked like he might cry just looking at it. Wiping his hands on his robes, he hid them in his pockets.

"Give me your hands."

Looking up their eyes met.

"It's okay."

"No it isn't! Give me your hands!!"

For what seemed like a crybaby the little boy was rather insistent. It would trouble him (and maybe he would be cursed or damned by Nophica, the God of the Earth) if he made a nymph cry so reluctantly, he held out his hands, wondering what he wanted to do.

The golden haired boy put his own hands around his, closing his eyes. He just watched, confused as blue light started to spill from their combined hands. It felt cool but not uncomfortably cold- it felt like he was running his hands through a river on a hot day.

"All better!"

The forest spirit smiled at him. Looking down, he saw his hands were totally healed and clean. Was this some sort of spell?

"Wow..."

He was impressed. So forest spirits could do things like this. Well it was a new thing he learnt today...

"...are you a wood nymph?"

He asked tilting his head to one side in question. The other boy started to laugh.

"No I'm not! It's the sort of magic I can do, like you can make fire. That's pretty cool- I was watching you."

He smiled a little smugly, he couldn't help feel happy when praised. He had been practicing for weeks in hopes one day he would be a great Thaumage like his father. But he did have another question.

"...So if you aren't a wood nymph where did you come from and why are you here?"

"Father said I'm going to live here with you from now on. He said I need to help you and if we can become good friends it would be good for the whole of Estel... I think."

Amon's eyes opened, slowly, it was early morning outside from the sunlight that spilled into the room from the small window. He felt pleasantly warm and rested- a nice change from usual where even though he slept due to the curse he always felt like he did not rest at all.

That was...a weird dream....

It was like his mind had blended childhood memories with fantasy as that boy definitely wasn't a memory. It had been a very long time since he had a dream, never mind such a pleasant one... they usually were nightmares.

Amon had been too busy thinking to notice the situation right next to him until he felt Raphael's nose lightly bump his forearm and it made him jump. What..

It was entirely Amon's fault. Somehow during the night he had put his arms around Raphael in his sleep and pulled him quite close...

Shit... How do I pull my arm out without him noticing???

Amon blamed the fact he had only ever shared a bed with his lover as the cause of this situation he found himself in now. The saving grace was he woke up before the cleric did and took it the wrong way.

Gotta be slow.....

Amon carefully withdrew his arm from under Raphael's head, using all his physical ability learnt working as an assassin and praying to Ralgr (His patron God) that the other wouldn't wake up. He sighed a sigh of relief when the deed was done and Raphael seemed none the wiser.

He got out of bed, stripping off his clothes to change to a new set. He paused when something caught the sunlight and flashed and he realized it was Raphael's soul stone he had decided to carry at his chest, held in his skin by magic as he knew if he ever got it stolen that would be irreplaceable. It wasn't because he cared or not if Raphael lived or died or would suffer, he told himself. It was because he needed Raphael's ability to save Anna. He told himself this in his mind as if convincing himself. He didn't want to be emotionally attached to anyone for any reason. It mustn't happen. It... can't.

"Nn.... Good morning..."

Raphael's sleepy voice brought Abel back from his thoughts.

"...Morning."

"Oh...it's so late already...you said we need to be up at dawn didn't you... sorry!!"

Raphael bolted out of bed, starting to change into new clothes also as quick as he could still half asleep.

"It's...alright I just woke up recently myself..."

It sounded like a polite lie to make the cleric feel at ease but it was actually the truth...

So with the strange start to the day aside, they managed to set off without any other mishaps. The duo managed to reach their goal destination of the town just on the other side of the Forest of Anza by nightfall. Finding their way to the nearest inn, they decided to eat before they got ready for bed. The tavern attached to the inn was very busy, all tables seemed to be taken though one only had a single man sitting at it.

"Would it be alright for us to sit here?"

Raphael asked the man who looked up. He looked around his late 20s, short dirty blonde hair and hazel eyes. He was still in his chain mail and the large kite shield lent against his leg on the floor suggesting he was a Paladin or Knight.

"Sure! Feel free!"

The man replied cheerfully. Thanking him Raphael sat down, Amon joining next to him.

"My name is Aldo of Xabard, and yourselves?"

The man spoke after a few moments while they all ate. Amon didn't really like this sort of person- the unnecessarily cheerful kind that wouldn't shut up and usually he would just ignore them but Raphael seemed not to mind at all. And Xabard... wasn't that a small nation near the Snowy Mountains that got wiped out due to a beastmen raid a few years ago? Amon could vaguely remember hearing something like that.

"Raphael of Dawn."

Raphael didn't usually use his full title because it got too much attention or made him sound too... pretentious but as the other had told him their full title he guessed it was only polite to.

"Oh I hear you are a marvelous healer! And yourself?"

Amon inwardly sighed. He hated small talk like this.

"... Amon."

Was all he gave in reply. Aldo didn't seem to mind too much or even notice his discomfort.

"Ah I see! And what brings both of you here? Village of the Dawn is rather far from here is it not?"

The man asked too many questions. Amon sighed in annoyance as he took a drink of his goblet so that he didn't say any unnecessarily rude things to the man sharing their table.

"We are on a mission."

Raphael replied, clearly not minding the conversation as much as Amon did.

"Oh? A mission! What sort?"

"To the Hall of Gods. I would like to ask the Crystal of the Goddess for help..."

"Is that... To stop the darkness that is trying to smother this land?"

Raphael nodded.

"It is my duty to try and bring Estel peace."

Amon still thought it was... a lofty goal. And too much of a selfless one at that. Why was Raphael so keen to help so many people he had not even met before, peace wouldn't make most of the rotten beings in this land any better people. Sure Raphael's wish would rid the darkness affecting the monsters and possessing some people but.... Humankind (and other races infact) were just.... corrupt and ugly. But seeing Raphael risk his life for the cause he couldn't bring himself to tell him that. Also he found himself feeling a little envious of someone who still had such a pure view of the world and at the same time an urge to try and preserve it was growing inside Amon.

Aldo was silent for a few moments before he slammed his hands on the table, maybe a little harder than he intended.

"Your Holiness!"

He was speaking about Raphael. The cleric cringed a little- he wasn't that sort of person yet...

"Um... Raphael is fine...."

"I understand then, Raphael!"

"...Y..yes?"

"I, Aldo, am deeply moved by your noble mission! Let my shield and myself be of use for your quest, if you will allow it!"

Raphael blinked, not understanding fully what he was trying to say. Amon sighed rather audibly this time.

"He is trying to say he wants to come with you to your mission. Basically, he wants to help."

Abel explained an an irritated tone. Of course it was up to Raphael and also having a Paladin would be useful for battles but he disliked having a large company.

"Ah! Sorry I didn't understand.... Of course you are welcome to come with us if you are sure!"

Raphael replied happily. Amon shook his head to himself. He knew it would turn out like this...

Great

"Please excuse me but I overheard your conversation."

A low, smooth voice cut through the bustle of the tavern. All three of them looked up to see a tall man with long white hair, fully black plated armour and a steely ice blue, almost colourless gaze walk up to their table. Pointed ears showed this man was not human, but of the Elvan race. Elvans were proud and mainly wealthy people, most of the noble houses in the whole of Estel were Elvan. There were not many in number and they were known to have a lifespan around 3 times longer than a human. Even rarer out of the Elvans were the ones who chose the way of the Dark Knight, a knight who contracted demons and had them in his servitude. Trading their own life force for strength, it was a discipline only Elvan could do successfully. Amon could see Raphael studying the newcomer hard- he noticed that this particular Knight was housing 3...4...7.. no 9 demons atleast inside him. That was pretty impressive.

"Let me introduce myself- My name is Romidant Orell, and it is quite sudden however I would like to also join you on your quest."

The man who called himself Romidant bowed gracefully. He seemed polite and respectful enough but Amon personally would never trust a person who had sold his soul to 9 different demons and still acted sane.

"I too have a wish I would like granted and I promise it will not conflict with yours, Raphael of Dawn."

Romidant carried on.

"You will need the 6 elements to open the Hall of Gods, am I correct? If I am to join, you will have all but 1."


Romidant's eyes glanced round to the members of this now rather large group.

"I myself am of Dark element, The Thaumage is Fire element, The Paladin is Earth and you are of Light and Water. So, if we find someone of the Wind element then we would be complete for opening the doors."

Raphael nodded, this person didn't seem like he was a bad person either. Sure the shadowy figures hanging off his shoulders were a little unsettling but he shouldn't judge people just based on that.

"Sure. I would be happy for you to join us."

"Then it is settled. Thank you."

Aldo had been staring at the Dark Knight as if he had never seen anyone like that before. Romidant seemed to notice his looks and met his eyes, giving him a faint smile. Aldo quickly looked away with a shudder. He was terrifying.

"We can meet back here tomorrow at dawn"

Amon spoke for the first time in a while. He had enough of socialization. Bathe and bed sounded good.

"We can discuss plans about our travel then."

The others acknowledged his plans and the Dark Knight walked off into the crowd. They all had finished eating so Amon stood up.

"I'll be retiring now."

Raphael followed, excusing himself to Aldo and saying their goodnights.

Once they got to their twinroom, Raphael was now faced with the problem he had two nights ago. How was he going to bathe when he was not meant to display his symbol on his hip...

"I'm going to the baths. You?"

Amon asked Raphael as he took his cloak and other outerwear off.

"I should...but..."

Raphael hesitated.

"But?"

"I have a bit of a problem..."

"Which is?"

"I was told that I can't show something on my body to people and.... inns have public baths..."

"You mean the insignia on your hip?"

Amon asked flatly. No point hiding he had seen it now.

"Is it...? I've never really looked at it properly..."

Raphael began before he realized something.

"Um... how do you..?"

"I was watching you the night I abducted you. I saw it when you were naked."

"O...oh...you...did...?"

Raphael could feel his cheeks going pink. No one had seen him naked since he became an adult...

"Um..."

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone if you need it kept a secret."

"T...thanks..."

"...And about your issue, it's mainly when you wash yourself it's an issue right as you can't cover it."

Raphael nodded.

"Well seeing as I have to be near you at all times anyway I will stand between you and anyone else on your insignia's side. With the positioning and size it is it should not be a problem."

"A...ah I see.. Yes, that would work. Thank you.."

Raphael didn't think about that, it was...such a simple solution.

"It's alright. Come on let's go."

"A-ah wait I need to take my outer clothing off!!"

Raphael called out, rushing to get ready. Amon found himself smiling faintly to himself as he waited by the door.

"Hurry up."

"A-Amon wait!!"

I have actually done something similar to Amon once when I went on holiday with friends and shared a double bed. So embarrassing... Specially when I didn't even notice and the other person told me the day after... ^^;;;
Copyright © 2016 Ramune; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..