Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 1,832 Words
  • 981 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Without a Manual - 1. Pete

“Did you just fart?” I set my book down on my lap.

“It was the cat.”

I glanced over at Hannibal who looked back, equally disgusted.

“It was your daddy.” I explained to him. Satisfied, he calmly went back to licking his tail.

“Pig.” I said to Nate’s back.

I felt the bed jiggle as he suppressed his chuckle. I picked up my book and adjusted my glasses. “Well, the honeymoon is over I guess.”

“Has been for a long time baby.” He rolled over to face me and blinked several times into the light from my lamp. “You almost finished?”

“Mmm… hmm…”

“What do you want to do tomorrow?”

“We were going over to my mother’s,” I sighed.

“Ugh… yah… right…”

“Come on, it won’t be that bad.”

“I know, I know.”

“Why? What‘d you want to do after?”

The doorbell rang.

“Shit.” I set my book down again.

“What time is it?”

I looked at the clock. “A little after eleven.”

We waited a few more moments and hoped.

The doorbell rang again.

“They aren’t going away.” I said, trying to go back to my book.

“So… it’s me then?” He rolled over, got up, and adjusted his boxers.

“Put on something.”

“At this hour? They can take their chances.”

He ambled out the bedroom door.

The bell rang again.

“I’m coming. I’m coming.” He called down the stairway.

After a few moments of muffled speech, I got up and went to the hallway.

“Nate?”

He appeared at the bottom of the stairs. “It’s Jeff…” He shrugged.

“Oh, no…”

He shrugged again and gestured for me to come.

I went back into the bedroom and put on some shorts and a shirt. Nate didn’t mind walking around half naked, but I did, even if it was only Jeff. I came down and around into the living room to see Nate sitting with one strong arm around him. Jeff looked up at me with glassy eyes.

“Oh, Jeff…” I sat on his other side and added my arm around his back just below Nate’s.

“I’m sorry Pete… I saw your light… I needed... it’s Zach…”

“It’s ok, it‘s ok.” Nate tightened his grip protectively as I did. I looked over Jeff’s head, Nate’s eyes were glassy. I leaned my cheek into Jeff’s hair. Another boyfriend, another breakup. It never got any easier. It always tore at all of us.

“Thanks guys,” Jeff sighed. “You have no idea how much it helps just to be here.” He paused. “You understand.” He kept his head down. My back stiffened.

I felt Nate’s hand stretch and strum up and down my side. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“He went back to her.”

I was surprised he got it out in one sentence. Nate sighed out heavily. We had seen it coming. We had discussed it privately not long ago. When we had went out to dinner with the two of them, Zach held Jeff’s hand and talked about his ex. It was sad to know even then and to watch Jeff’s happy and somehow oblivious expression.

“Sorry. You don‘t have to tell us...”

Nate tightened again and squeezed Jeff between us before pulling back.

“I just didn’t want be alone.” Jeff sniffled. “Being here for a minute is enough. Thanks. I shouldn’t have bothered you guys so late.”

Nate caught my eye; I nodded. Once again, we were a safe place to be.

“Stay here tonight,” I began. “Stay as long as you need.”

“I don’t want to impose…” I could tell his heart wanted to stay, here, with us, not home, alone. We all knew this is where he wanted to be. Just like the last time.

“Come on then. No more talk tonight. You are here and safe. We can talk tomorrow.” Nate pulled him up and hugged him.

“It will be better in the morning.” I stood and hugged Jeff warmly.

“Said like a true ‘morning’ person,” Nate chuckled.

Jeff sighed faintly. “Thanks guys.”

“Go on, you know where everything is.” Nate swatted him on the butt before he put his arm around me. I suddenly felt safe too.

Jeff stopped at the foot of the stairs. “I don’t know what I would do without you both. You are the best friends anyone could have.” A faint smile briefly appeared before it vanished again. He trod up the stairs.

I turned and hugged Nate. He held me close.

“It’s ok,” he whispered softly.

“Why does it have to be so hard?”

“I know.” He kissed into my hair. “He will be fine. He always has been before.”

“I know.” I breathed into his chest.

We stood a few more moments and held each other. After all these years, he knew what not to say.

“Come on,” he said. “We need to get some sleep. It will be better in the morning.”

I turned and raised an eyebrow.

He smiled. “You said it first.”

“Jackass.” I grinned.

He held my hand while using the other to flip off the lights.

As we crept passed the door to the guestroom, we heard the faint sounds of sobbing. I frowned. Nate pulled me away and into our room. We quietly got into bed without saying a single word to each other.

I turned my light off and settled back into Nate’s arms. I felt his heart beating. Our fingers intertwined protectively. He kissed the back of my neck and I snuggled in tighter.

Our best friend was in the next room, miserable. I knew he would have to work through it, and, after a while, he would be himself again. Jeff, the happy eternal optimist, would be back and looking to find love again.

I exhaled slowly.

Nate sighed in response and kissed me. “I know.”

* * *

I woke up early.

Nate was rolled over on his side, facing the other way. I gently got up and tip-toed into our bathroom.

He was still asleep when I returned from the shower. He looked peaceful as he usually did when he slept. I dressed quietly and grabbed a set of Nate’s sweat pants before I padded my way out into hallway. The house was silent.

I listened at Jeff’s door, no sounds. I tried the knob and opened the door slowly. He was asleep. The covers hung off the bed, only the sheets remained, twisted around his body. No wonder he always found someone. His time at the gym showed. From his sculpted shoulders to his defined lower back and strong legs, he was still gorgeous after all the years, not the pudgy kid from all those years ago. I crept in, picked up his little pile of clothes from the floor, and draped my extra sweats on the chair for him.

Hannibal met me in the hallway as I closed the door.

“What are you looking at?”

He looked back sternly, one of those judging looks that he only gave to me, never to Nate, or to Jeff for that matter.

“We need to get you a buddy to knock you down a peg,” I said, breaking his stare.

He followed me down to the kitchen and watched as I emptied Jeff’s pockets onto the counter and put his clothes in the washer. They still smelled like his ‘lucky’ cologne.

“Ok, you’re next. Little bastard.” I got out a can of food and served his majesty on the floor. I started the coffee and made some tea for myself.

Still no sounds to indicate anyone else awake.

I was stretched across the sofa in the family room with my feet up, reading, when Nate ambled into the kitchen. He was still in his underwear. I looked over the corner of my laptop. His broad back rippled as he reached for a mug and poured. After all these years, I loved him, even with the ridiculous hole in his boxers.

He came around, stood next to me, and massaged the back of my neck with one hand, still holding his mug with the other.

“No Jeff yet?” He took a sip.

“Not yet. Breakfast?”

“We can wait for him.”

I lifted my feet from the end of the sofa so he could sit down. Once seated, he pulled my feet onto his lap, flipped on the news, and sipped his coffee. I closed my eyes and leaned back. He gave great foot massages.

“Morning,” Nate said.

My eyes opened and followed to where Nate’s gaze fell. Jeff stood, no shirt, barefoot. Nate’s sweats were too large for him and hung loosely. I should have given him some of mine. His hair was still wet from the shower.

“Morning,” Jeff yawned back. He went to the fridge and pulled out the orange juice.

“You want breakfast?”

He looked at us for a moment. “No, thanks, I’m good.”

I turned to bring my feet down to the floor. “Yeah, right.” I crossed into the kitchen and took out the eggs. Nate crossed to us and Jeff topped off his coffee.

“What are you doing today?” Nate asked between the sips and silence.

“I don’t know, go home…”

I caught Nate’s eye. He shook his head sadly.

“I have to go to my mother’s, but Nate is free to hang out.” They both looked up at me. “I am sure he would rather spend the day with you than with mom.”

Jeff grinned. “Are you sure?” He turned to Nate.

Nate smiled broadly, a kid who just got out of being punished.

“He didn’t want to go anyway.”

Nate’s grin got even bigger.

I would find a way for him to pay for this later.

Jeff coughed into his juice.

Him too.

* * *

“How was your mom’s?” Nate flashed a huge smile. He knew which button to push first.

I rolled my eyes.

“Wow, that good. I’m almost sorry I missed it.”

I gently punched his arm, he only laughed.

“How’s Jeff?”

“Stunned. Sad. Same. We watched TV most of the day.”

“Poor thing.”

“I know.” Nate shook his head. “I told him he could stay here for a few days if he wanted. We drove back to his place and grabbed some clothes.”

“Good. He hates to be alone. Upstairs?”

“Out. Meeting up with Dale and Todd.”

I turned around. “What the hell? Wasn’t Todd the one who fixed him up with Zach?”

“Take it easy. I think so. Anyway, Dale said Todd felt just awful.”

“I’ll bet he does.” I flopped down into the couch and leaned on Nate. He slid an arm around me. “We’ll do something fun for him tomorrow then.”

“Sounds good.” He squeezed. “What about tonight?”

“What?”

“What about something fun tonight? He won‘t be home for a while.”

“Are you serious?” I leaned away so I could look into his eyes. They crinkled at the edges.

I smiled. He grinned. I stood and dashed up the steps to the sound of his laughter.

Copyright © 2014 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

My heart hurt for Jeff, but you humor in the chapter was right on. I loved when he called Hannibal a bastard. It was so funny. And of course, your beginning sounded just like an old married couple. I'm wondering how much time has lapsed. I'm sure it'll be somewhere. :P Great beginning. Thank you.

Link to comment
On 08/28/2014 12:49 AM, joann414 said:
My heart hurt for Jeff, but you humor in the chapter was right on. I loved when he called Hannibal a bastard. It was so funny. And of course, your beginning sounded just like an old married couple. I'm wondering how much time has lapsed. I'm sure it'll be somewhere. :P Great beginning. Thank you.
Sounding like an old married couple, CHECK

Hurting for Jeff, CHECK

Cat who rules the house, CHECK

Humor based in life, CHECK

 

A Crocodilian Cheerleader, CHECK

 

Thanks for catching up! :-)

Link to comment

So nice to find another story and this time more about Jeff :boy:

I like Jeff and I feel so sorry for him, poor guy :/ Hopefully he´ll find a better boyfriend soon, someone who´ll stay with him forever :*)

I know all about cats who rule the house :joe:

Link to comment
On 09/06/2014 10:42 PM, Suvitar said:
So nice to find another story and this time more about Jeff :boy:

I like Jeff and I feel so sorry for him, poor guy :/ Hopefully he´ll find a better boyfriend soon, someone who´ll stay with him forever :*)

I know all about cats who rule the house :joe:

Glad to have you on-board with Jeff. I keep telling people that (as a character) he screamed about how badly he was treated in To Move Forward. We will see what we can do for him here. Thanks!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..