Jump to content
    Refugium
  • Author
  • 1,414 Words
  • 760 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Waltzing with Bears - 3. Part 3. Blackie and Mike

The story of Uncle Walter takes a darker turn.

Eddie stops and drinks some water. Hes been looking at me intently through this whole story, but now hes looking down for the first time since he started. I dont know what to say, where to start. So I say the obvious. Your Uncle Walter was gay.”

Yep,” he says. Uncle Walter was gay. Most of the guys at Petes werent. They just liked to step lively and blow off some steam, maybe keep in practice until the great day when they had enough money to court a girl.”

Most of them,” I say.

Almost all of them,” he says. Joseph seems to have been an exception. And Im pretty sure Mike Daley was another.”

Who was Mike Daley?”

Eddie hesitates. I think Im going to need some pie to get me through this next part.”

I call the waitress over and she recommends the pecan pie. We each get a slice. Im impatient to find out what happened. So who was Mike Daley?”

Eddie finishes a bite of pie and says, Mike was a logger, like most of them. He was on Josephs work crew. Did I say that Joseph was a logger? A really good, smart one, too. Joseph didnt get any more in his pay packet than anyone else, but in practice he was the foreman. But he was a Negro, so he had to be really careful and not appear to be giving orders. When the crew were laying out who was to do what and where, Joseph would get them all together and ask each one for his advice and gradually bring them around to his way of thinking until they all thought it was their idea in the first place. And nobody had a problem with Joseph except Mike Daley.

Mike was a short, muscular red-head. Big chip on his shoulder. Did not like Joseph at all. Kept muttering about niggers taking over.’ Sorry to use that word, but thats how Mike was.

And at Petes, Mike asked Uncle Walter to dance a few times, after he saw Joseph and Walter dancing together. And Uncle Walter would always decline, politely. And that chip on Mikes shoulder got bigger and bigger.

Now at a certain point, when Walter would go out back to visit Blackie, Joseph would sometimes come with him. And either before or after the dance with Blackie, Joseph and Walter would kiss for a while and maybe do more. And I guess Mike saw them at it, at some point.

So one night, Uncle Walters out back in Blackies cage. Joseph isnt there. Walters pretty drunk and he hasnt closed the cage door behind him. Mike comes out back and gets in the cage with them. He says, May I cut in?' And its not a request, its a demand.

Walter says, 'No, thank you, Im dancing with Blackie.

Mike grabs Walters arm and says, Come on. Just one dance.

Walter says, No, I dont want to dance with you,' and pushes Mike away.

Mike comes back and they get into a scuffle. Blackie is getting agitated. Mike is grabbing Walter and saying, 'Dance with me. Dance with me!'

Walter says, No! Let me go! Get away from me!

Mike gets angry and says, Youd rather dance with that black brute than with a white man? Hes not even human, hes just an animal -- you goddamn nigger-lover!'

So Walter realizes what this is about, and he has a moment of sheer terror, and then hes furious and he attacks Mike, which surprises Mike, because Walter is so calm and mild normally. But less than a minute later Mike has wrestled Walter to the ground and hes ripping his clothes. And then Blackie jumps in and grabs Mikes leg in his teeth and drags him off Walter, and then Blackie is really laying into Mike, tooth and claw. And Mike is screaming and he pulls out a knife and stabs Blackie a couple of times. Blackie roars and knocks Mike in the head with his paw and then runs out the cage door and disappears into the woods.

Pete and a few men from the bar have heard the commotion and run out back. They find Mike pretty badly mauled but still fighting mad. Now that he has an audience, Mike says to Walter, 'Im telling everyone. Everyones gonna know what you get up to with that black bastard.' And everyone knows hes not talking about Blackie.

Pete says, Wheres my bear?

Walter says, Mike knifed him. He ran off.

“‘He was gonna kill me!' Mike says.

Pete says, Get him out of here.' And Mikes friend Gabe -- yes, believe it or not, Mike had at least one friend -- helps Mike limp away.

Pete wants to go look for Blackie, but its the middle of the night and Blackie could be a long way away. He decides to wait until morning. He brings Walter in and has him sleep upstairs.

Unfortunately, early in the morning, Blackie tries to break into a farmhouse, and the farmer shoots him dead. When the farmer finds out that this bear was Petes Blackie, hes real sorry. But sorry doesnt bring Blackie back to life. The house had a black wrought-iron fence at the front. Maybe that reminded Blackie of his cage; maybe that’s why he was trying to get in. Pete comes over to the farm in the afternoon to get the body. Uncle Walter goes with him. Pete is grim about it. Walter cant stop crying.

Somehow Walter gets home by evening. My mother is furious with him. Where have you been all this time, out all night like a common drunk!she yells. Uncle Walter doesnt even answer her, just goes straight to his room and stays there for the next few days. Doesnt even come down for meals. I bring him leftovers and sandwiches.

After Mike gets patched up, he starts making good on his threat to tell everyone about Walter and Joseph. Now this is not really news to a lot of people, but as long as no one talked about it, they all looked the other way, because almost everyone likes Walter, and Joseph too. But once someone starts talking about it, it becomes a matter of public morals, and people like my mother who want a respectable community wont stand for it.

Joseph disappears. He knows his position is precarious enough at the best of times, and he doesnt want to end up at the wrong end of a rope.

And me? I dont handle all this very well. If anyone repeats Mikes gossip, I call him a liar. I get into quite a few fights with other kids. My mother does not approve. Im just one more relative bringing the family down.

After about a week, Uncle Walter starts going back to Petes. A lot. But never to dance, only to drink.

Mike gets around on crutches and complains a lot. Pete bans him from the saloon. And Pete takes down Blackies picture from the wall.

And Walter takes down my picture of him dancing with a bear. He stays in his room, playing records like The Kiss Waltz' and Parlez-moi damour.' Theres a fear in his eyes I hadnt seen before, every time he ventures out the door of his room. Hes afraid of my mother, hes afraid of my father, hes afraid of everybody.

I decide that what will keep him safe is if he follows some rules. So I make up a list of things like going to church every Sunday and not falling asleep during the sermon, saying hello to everyone who says hello to him instead of dodging them, getting out of bed by six every morning, getting dressed and not sitting in his bathrobe, coming down to the dinner table and thanking my mother for the food. He looks at the list and starts laughing. He cant stop. I tell him to stop laughing. Then I realize hes crying. I tell him he doesnt have to follow all those rules. He shakes his head and says, No, youre right. Ill follow your rules.

I bring him the newspaper every evening and he reads to me, occasionally with his old quirky take on events. I pretty much pretend that nothing ever happened.”

Eddie pauses. Theres too much for me to respond to. I say, Was that the end of it, then?”

Eddie sighs. Not quite.”

Next: Part 4. Deception and Betrayal
Copyright © 2022 Refugium; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 6
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/10/2022 at 1:51 AM, drsawzall said:

Mike should have been castrated. Nuff said!!

💯 absolutely. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..