Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Saturday Shorts - 2. Payback Is A...

em>Prompt #379: Four months ago your partner’ had their birthday. They told you they didn’t want a party, just a nice dinner out. Of course you decided you knew better and huge party was put together that they absolutely hated. They smiled sweetly and through clenched teeth told you that you would pay for this disaster. Tomorrow is your birthday. Will it be what you expected or a case of birthday revenge?

“Everything set for tomorrow?”

I froze. I knew I shouldn’t be listening, but I couldn’t help it, and lucky for me he apparently hadn’t heard me come in. Jace was planning his revenge, I knew he was. He’d told me I’d pay for the huge party I’d thrown him a few months ago for his birthday. With my birthday just a day away, I was beginning to wish I’d listened when he’d said he just wanted a nice dinner, just the two of us. I needed to find out what he had planned and figure a way out of it.

“Thanks Trent, I appreciate you helping me.”

So, he had my best friend helping him, that really didn’t bode well for me. I’d have to give some thought to how to get out of whatever they had planned, but for now, may as well let him know I was home. I moved back to the front door and opened it and shut it a little harder than necessary.

“Jace?”

He came out of the living room before I even made it halfway down the hallway. Was it just me or did he look a little guilty? Maybe he was throwing a huge party, not unlike I did for him, and he was feeling guilty because he knew I hated being the center of attention.

“Hey, Nate.” Jace walked up and pressed a quick kiss to my lips. “You’re home early.”

“Yeah, not much going on today so they let some of us leave early.” I followed him into the living room and flopped on the couch, glancing around to see if there was anything sitting out that would give away his plans.

“You still have to work tomorrow?”

“Yep, though possibly only a half day, might be home around two.” I’d originally tried to get the entire day off, but it hadn’t happened.

“Anything in particular you want to do before dinner?”

I shrugged. He’d already asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday and after hearing him on the phone I knew he already had something planned, most likely for the evening. I sincerely doubted his plans included dinner, a movie, and then coming home to spend some quality time together like I’d said I wanted.

It didn’t escape my notice that what I wanted was very similar to what he’d asked me for on his birthday.

***’

“Do you mind if we stop at Trent’s on the way to dinner? I just need to pick something up.” Jace sounded so proud of himself, but I knew.

I’d already figured out they were throwing a big party, and apparently it was going to be at Trent’s. I couldn’t say I didn’t deserve it though, I’d done the same thing to Jace and I was determined next year I’d actually listen to whatever he told me he wanted.

“Yeah, sure.” Once I’d given it some thought, I’d decided to just go along with whatever Jace had planned rather than try and get out of it. We pulled up in front of Jace’s and got out.

“Trent said to just come in.”

Sure he did. We’d walk in and everyone would jump out and yell ‘surprise’. I was expecting it, and was shocked as hell when we walked in and found Trent sitting on his couch watching TV. He must have seen my surprise.

“Happy Birthday, Nate!” He raised an eyebrow. “Something wrong?”

“Where is everyone?”

“What are you talking about?” Trent glanced over at Jace and then back at me. “Who were you expecting?”

“I thought…”

“You thought I was throwing you a party, didn’t you?” Jace grinned.

“Well yeah, you said I’d pay for doing it to you.”

“And you did.” Jace laughed and turned back to Trent. “Do you have the tickets?”

“Yep.” Trent grabbed an envelope off the TV and handed it over. “The show starts at Nine-twenty.”

“Thanks, I owe you one.” Jace pocketed the envelope and faced me. “You ready to go to dinner?”

“Huh?” I was still trying to figure out what the hell was going on and what Jace meant by I’d paid for it. “Oh, yeah.”

We said our good-bye’s and were almost to the car when I just couldn’t take it anymore. “Why didn’t you throw a party? I did it to you; it was only fair for you to get me back.”

“It was never about that.” Jace shrugged. “I know if you truly believed I really didn’t want a party, you wouldn’t have done it. You thought I actually wanted one, I understood that. I still had to pay you back a bit, so I let you think I was planning something.”

“So, there’s really no party?” I breathed a sigh of relief. I really had thought he wanted one just didn’t want me to go to the trouble.

“No, there’s no party. I know how much you hate being the center of attention.” Jace laced his fingers with mine and squeezed. “We’re doing dinner, a movie, and time together at home. Just like you asked for.”

I stopped and pulled him close to kiss him quickly. “In case I haven’t told you enough lately, I love you.”

“I know, I love you too.” Jace pulled back and tugged me towards the car.

Luckily for me, Jace knew not to throw me a party I didn’t want and next time, I’d damn well listen to what he asked for rather than assume I knew better.

He deserved that and so much more.

So, I may have only made it with five minutes left, but I did manage to post this on Saturday, so it's still considered a Saturday short, lol. Hope you enjoyed my short little prompt response and would love to know what you thought!
Copyright © 2015 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Cute story. We can be our own worst enemies sometimes. :) I really enjoyed this.

Link to comment
On 01/19/2015 03:07 AM, Valkyrie said:
Cute story. We can be our own worst enemies sometimes. :) I really enjoyed this.
Thank you Valkyrie, I'm glad you enjoyed the story. You are right that sometimes we can be our own worst enemies. I know there's times I can be mine...
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..