Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

12 Hours - 4. Chapter 4

“I saw him lying face down,” Gene said.

“Do you know why he was lying face down?” Jessica asked.

“To sleep.”

“Just to go to sleep?”

“To sleep on the floor.”

“OK.”

“And there... there were boots outside... loud boots... outside the cell. I remember when I was in the cell, I could hear... I... I think I slept for a little, and then I awoke, and there was... a lot of talking and things being said. Out with the jailers. A lot of conversations, and typing, and all these sounds were going on... And then... I could hear... I could hear the jail cell opening, and I could hear someone coming out. And I could hear the jailer say, ‘We’re going to let you go on your own reconnaissance.”

“Who was that to?”

“I... I don’t know because I couldn’t see.”

“I see.”

“But I could hear it. ‘Trial... you’ll have a trial date. You’ll have an appearance date. September 9th.’ I heard a date... then discussing making sure he understood and would be there. That he could be. And... I don’t remember everything because I wasn’t always listening.”

“Uh huh.”

“But I could hear things. Then I couldn’t hear things.”

“What significant things happened to you after that?”

“After that, I wanted to use the phone again.”

“Uh huh.”

“Because the time was going... There were hours going by, and... nothing was happening. I was still there.”

“After you used the phone, what happened?”

“After I used the phone?”

“About what time was it?”

“I wasn’t allowed to use the phone again.”

“OK.”

“Until they opened the jail. They opened the cell, and they were looking for so many people... to go to the courthouse. They wanted too many people. ‘I’ve got this one. I’ve got that one. Who else do you need?’ And I could hear them calling my name, but I couldn’t tell them where I was. They weren’t calling my name, but they were telling another jailer to get this. ‘Well... you need this and this... you need more. He and so and so. So and so.’ I heard other names, and he said to get me. And he opened the door. And I was out. And I was put... there were two guys from Mexico and the painter and myself on a chained pair of handcuffs. Each of us had... were attached to this chain.”

“Uh huh.”

“Two in the front, and two in the back. And there were brown shirt police. I think it was the sheriff department... the sheriff’s people. They were there to transport us to Van Nuys. There was a Black sheriff, and he says, ‘You are going to 105. Remind me of that.’ And then they brought... we were put on the bus. I was going to use the phone... I did use the phone... with my handcuffs on. I called home and Chris answered. And I told him to get in touch with my lawyer.”

“Who’s Chris?”

“Chris is my renter. He rents a room.”

“That’s right. Go ahead.”

“And then we were put on the bus. And I was told 105 again. And then... they asked for cigarettes... the Mexican guys. And I couldn’t give them any because I only had two. I wanted to give, but I... I didn’t know what was happening and if I’d get more. And then we got to another jail, and someone came in. And they put him on the same chain with the painter. And then they put me in separate chains... separate handcuffs.”

“Uh huh.”

“Wrapped around my waist with the... the handcuffs around my hand. And it was really strange. Just like wearing this belt or something, and then being treated like that. ‘Well, he’s going to a different place,’ one said. And, ‘Well, what did they bust him on?’ ‘Malicious mischief,’ and I discussed what happened... about the choking. And we got to another place and more people were put on the bus. And then we got to the courthouse, and we were all taken out.”

“Uh huh.”

“We were taken out with all these chains on.”

“Where were you taken to?”

“Into the holding cell inside the courthouse.”

“And how long did you wait there before you were called?”

“Hours. They brought... it was before lunch. Because after... they gave us a sandwich. And a cookie and an orange. I couldn’t eat anything.”

“Is your throat still sore?”

“Yes... so I ate the orange. And I gave the sandwich to someone else. And I tried to eat the cookies, and then I gave them to someone else. And then the... people were talking a lot. I didn’t want to talk, but people were talking. Not to me. They were talking back and forth about different problems. And there was one big boy... Big... Very strong guy, who walked around and spoke a lot. He spoke an awful lot. And then nothing was being said... to anyone individually. People were being given OR forms to fill out.”

“Would you explain?”

“Own Reconnaissance Release... your own reconnaissance release form. Which they were given but no pencil to fill it out with.”

“Did you fill it out?”

“No. No, I wasn’t given anything.”

“OK. Then when were you taken into the courtroom?”

“It was after lunch. About one. I wasn’t quite sure of what time because no one had... no watches were available.”

“And when were you finally called before the judge? Was that much later?”

“Well, no... The process is... before... that we all sit in what is like a jury box. And then the judge comes in. There’s a... the Marshall tells us that the judge is going to read the rights, and we’re told to listen carefully. ‘He’s going to describe to you how to plead. And you’re to listen carefully, and no one is to talk to anyone or make a gesture to anyone in the audience. If...if this is done, there’ll be another serious crime.’ Then the judge came in, and he stood up all the time. And he read, and he read, and he read. And he read the rights, and he read the possible pleas, and then he... he went out. Then we went away.”

“Where did you go?”

“They took us back into the jail. And sitting. And waiting for the public defender. And then people were saying, ‘I’m going to plead guilty.’ And I was saying, ‘Why would you plead guilty? Why don’t you talk to the public defender first?’ ‘I just want to get out of here. I just want to get out of here.’ And it was... it was really disappointing to hear... to hear the people saying that. They wanted to plead guilty. Eighteen-year-olds are going to plead guilty. I couldn’t believe it.”

“Did you get to talk to the public defender?”

“Yes... this was all before lunch. And during. Each name was being called to come to... there’re two gates... One gate is... it separates the telephone from the large cell. And the second gate enters into the hallway. They kept the one to the telephone open. This was for the time after he read the rights but before lunch. The public defender would call each person to the gate and discuss everything with them. Through the bars.”

“And you talked to the public defender?”

“Yes.”

“All right.”

“And he says... ‘Wow... Geez...’ And he says, ‘I don’t even know why you’re here, but... Well, this looks like you got a pretty good case here.’ And he says, ‘It says that you raised your hand... you turned around to raise your hand... And that’s why the officer put an armlock on your... to subdue you... And that you tried to kick him, which was interfering with the officer in performance of his duty. And you defaced the property... the malicious mischief...’ And I said, ‘This whole thing is a nightmare. I can’t believe what’s going on.’ And he says, ‘Well, probably the only thing they can get you for is the malicious mischief.’ And I said, ‘But the only reason that happened is because I was being choked.’ And he says, ‘You have a good case, but how much money do you make a year?’ And I told him, and he said, ‘That’s too much. You’ll have to have your own attorney.’ And I said, ‘I do, but I haven’t been able to get a hold of him.’ Except during this time we were in there, I got to use the phone, and I got a hold of my attorney’s brother.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And he said he would send bail... if I needed it. He’ll arrange bail as soon as I know what’s going on. And the defender said, ‘Well, I think you should be able to get out.’ By this time, I thought I had a better understanding of what was going on. But I felt so numb.”

“And were you taken back to court?”

Yes... to plead. ‘You plead,’ the defender said. ‘You tell the judge that you wish to have the arraignment postponed until you have a chance to discuss it with your attorney.’ And that’s what happened.”

“And that was granted?”

“Yes, but first they had to establish that the public defender wasn’t going to represent me.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And they... I wanted to fill out an OR form... which I did. And the judge says, ‘In this case, the OR is refused.’ And I said, ‘Why?’ And he says, ‘Because you refuse to give permission to notify your employer and because you live alone.’ Well, the reason I indicated I lived alone was because the questions asked for the names of the people you lived with.”

“Uh-huh”

“And I chose not to put any information down.”

“When were you bailed out?”

“The bail didn’t occur because I said, ‘Well, if that’s the case, your honor, wait a minute.’ I said, ‘If that’s the case, as far as where I live... I own the home, and it’s a matter of public record In the other case, if you definitely need to contact my employer in order to approve it, it’s OK.’ And he says, ‘All right.’ And they called my employer, and they approved the OR, and he asked me what date I’d like for the arraignment. And I explained that I was going away on business, and I’d like to have it after I came back. And then the date of the 22nd was settled. And then we... meaning myself and two other people that were being released on ORs... We were put inside this other cell to fill out and sign the forms... the property return forms. And I was fingerprinted again... to verify the original fingerprints. And then I was released. And I was told to walk through the courtroom and out the front doors, which really felt good. Just to be out of there. It was very good.”

“How did you get home?”

“I called home. And I asked Vic if he’d drive out and pick me up. And he said he would. And then I waited. I had a cup of coffee. And I bought the LA Times. And then I... I looked in the mirror. And I saw the cuts on my face and on my shoulder. And these rubs and burns on my neck. And I couldn’t believe the judge wouldn’t at least ask what... ‘What happened to you?’”

“Uh-huh.”

“I couldn’t understand that. And so I waited, and they came. Vic got Chris to help him. And I told them, ‘We have to pick up my car where they left it.’ And I said, ‘It’s on Laurel Canyon, near Valleyheart.’ And I had to direct them to it.”

“Your car was still there?”

“Yes. The car was still there.”

“OK.”

“And...”

“All right, Gene. Sleep. Very relaxed and very comfortable. Good. Very relaxed and very comfortable. What a relief to have all that out. Very relaxed and very comfortable. I’m going to wake you up in a few moments. I’m going to wake you up by counting from one up to five. But before I do, I want to talk to you again. Relax you a little more. Tell you how much more at ease you’re going to be.”

“Uh-huh.”

“OK, Gene, just relax. Let all the tension in your body flood out, onto the floor. Sink down deep and relax. Very, very relaxed. Very soft and very soothing. Let your mind wander the length of your body once more from your toes all the way up to your head and back down to your fingertips. And do this at your own speed. Feel the wonderful relaxation that follows. What you’ve just re-experienced, through your memory is already over. It’s already over. The worst is over. The worst is over. There’s more to look forward to. There’s more to look forward to in your future than for you to dwell on the bad that’s already over. When I wake you up in a few moments, you’ll feel a sense of release. A sense of peace of mind, such as you haven’t had in several weeks. A feeling of inner security and peace. And all the time you called for help in that terrible trouble, there are people helping. More than just here. There are people concerned. And there are other people in the same plight. There are other people in the same plight, and this, hopefully, will help them as well. And that’s ultimately what you want. When you wake up, Gene, you’ll feel as if you’ve had eight hours of the most beautiful, relaxed, and restful sleep that you’ve ever had. And tonight, when you’re home, you’ll be able to go right to sleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. And you’ll sleep very soundly and wake up at your usual time feeling refreshed and excited about your new day to come. You’ll find that your head will be clear.”

“OK.”

“You’ll find your head will be clear and alert. You’ll feel capable of what you were before. As wide awake. As at ease with yourself. More self-confident than you’ve been for a couple of weeks. These are suggestions that will act on you after you’re awake, but they’re beginning right now. These are capacities that you already know you have, and now they’re being strengthened. Everything is there for you to mold. There for your benefit. There for you to help others. OK. I’m going to wake you up now.”

“OK.”

“I’m going to waken you when I count to five. When I reach five, you’re going to be wide awake and feeling just wonderful. You’re going to be wide awake and feeling just wonderful. You’re going to tell me you’re wonderful after you awaken. OK. One, I’m beginning to wake you up now. Two, you’re completely relaxed. Very, very relaxed. Three, you feel light and exceptionally clearheaded. Four, you’re not mad at anyone or anything. Five, you’re wide awake and feeling wonderful.”

She waits just a moment till Gene sees her. Then she smiles.

“Hello.”

“Oh... hi.”

He looks at her and then smiles back.

“How do you feel?”.

“Oh...” He thinks. He considers. “Stiff!”

They laugh together.

“Isn’t it wonderful?”

“Yeah!”

And they laugh again.

Copyright © 2021 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..