Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

12 Hours - 1. Chapter 1


 

“Are you relaxed?” Jessica Seong asks softly.

“Umm,” says Gene De Wijk.

They’re in Jessica’s office.

“Good. What I’m going to do is relax your body. I want to do it very quickly. Once your body knows how to relax, you can do it very, very quickly. I’m just going to count to five. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Your body is relaxing. You’ve relaxed before. This is the way you’ve relaxed before. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. Completely relaxed. Completely relaxed. Very relaxed and very comfortable. Pay no attention to outside noises. Listen to our voices and our voices alone. The sound of our voices. The sound of our voices only send you deeper and deeper to sleep until the time that we waken you. The sound of our voices only send you deeper and deeper into sleep until the time that we waken you. The sound of our voices send you deeper and deeper to sleep. Very relaxed and very comfortable. Very relaxed and very comfortable.”

She waits until Gene is quietly breathing.

“Gene, you’re thirty-two years old. You’re now thirty-two years old, and it’s Labor Day morning. It’s now Labor Day morning, and you’re thirty-two years old. You’re thirty-two years old, and it’s Labor Day morning. What I would like you to do is tell me what’s going on. You’re just waking up. You’re just waking up, and I’d like you to tell me about the events of the day. You’re just waking up. It’s Labor Day morning, and you’re just waking up. Hello!”

“Hi,” Gene says.

“What’s happening?”

“I’m getting up out of my waterbed.”

“Ah! Did you have a good night’s sleep?”

“Yes.”

She waits. “Go ahead.”

“I’m going... I’m going to take a shower.”

“All right, go ahead and take your shower and tell me when you’re through.”

“I... I’d like to take a shower. I’m going... Vic’s making breakfast.”

“Uh-huh. Can you smell it?”

He sniffs. “Uh-huh.”

“What’s he making?”

Gene pauses to think. “It’s pancakes.”

“Are you going to wait to eat your breakfast or take a shower?”

“No. I took the shower first.”

“OK. What’s happening now?”

“We’re all sitting down having breakfast. Vic and Chris.”

“What’s the date today?”

“December... September... September 1st. It’s Labor Day.”

“It’s Labor Day?”

“This can’t be September 1st.”

“It must be September 2nd.”

“It must be September... no... yes. September 2nd.”

“What happened yesterday?”

“Yesterday?“

“Uh-huh.“

“It’s Sunday. Yesterday was Sunday. I went... I had a very good time... I went to a pool party.“

“Uh-huh.”

“And that’s how I found out about the party for today.”

“Oh! Is there a party today?”

“Yes.”

“Who’s giving it”

“...Freddy.”

“Freddy?”

“I thought... I thought Freddy was... It’s not Freddy... It’s Joe... who I haven’t met.”

“Uh-huh. When does the party start?”

“...The party starts at... early... at 10 o’clock.”

“In the evening or morning?”

“In the morning.”

“In the morning?”

“Uh-huh.”

“And when are you going?”

“I want to get there early because it’s going to be crowded.”

“Oh, really! And where’s this party going to be? What city?”

“In Hollywood.”

“Ah! OK. And what are you doing now?”

“I’m trying to talk Vic into going.”

“And who’s Vic?”

“Vic’s my friend from Connecticut.”

”Does he want to go?”

“He does, but he doesn’t want to stay, so we’re going to take two cars.”

“I see.”

“I didn’t want to take two cars. I wanted to take...”

“Whose car? Yours or his?”

“No, I wanted to take his.”

“I see... What kind of car does he have?”

“It’s an economy... a blue car... rented.”

“All right. What’s happening now?”

“I’m always taking a long time.”

“What are you taking a long time doing?”

“To leave the house.”

“I see. Are you taking anything with you?”

“Yes.”

“What?

“I can’t tell you.”

“Oh. All right.” She laughs. “OK.”

“I’m taking...”

“It’s OK. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

“No, I want... I’m taking cigarettes...”

She laughs. “All right.”

“And sandals on my feet.”

“OK. And what else are you wearing?”

“And I’m wearing... for the pool... I’m wearing clothes for a pool... Vic... Vic loaned me a pair of his pants... cut-offs.”

“Oh.”

“And he cut them.”

“Oh! I see.”

“He just cut them, and he cut ‘em crooked.” He laughs. “But it doesn’t matter. They’re comfortable... they really are comfortable, and they fit. Which was good because I didn’t know that they’d fit. I thought he was fatter than me. I guessed that he was just fat.” He laughs.

“What else are you wearing?”

“Nothing.”

“Do you have a shirt on?”

“I... yes, I’m going to put one on.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And I’m never sure what shirt to wear. But this time I... find it... I found the one I want.”

“Which one do you want?”

“Because it’s a pool party...”

“Oh.”

“So I don’t have to worry... I just wear something that doesn’t... is fairly loose, and is open, and I don’t sweat.”

“And what did you choose?”

“A very old shirt... A blue... with tanks... A blue with tanks... I mean straps... A tank top.”

“OK.”

“That’s what I mean.”

“Uh-huh. All right. What’s happening now?”

“They’re going to leave without me.”

“Oh!”

“Because I told them to. And they’re not sure how to get there because I can’t find the street on the map.”

“What street is it?”

“It’s a strange name... I’m trying to remember... It’s a strange name.”

“Do you have the directions?”

“Yes... we have directions. Turn right, turn left, turn right... I know I find it easy.”

“Uh-huh.”

“But I can’t remember the name.”

“That’s all right.” She smiles. “Have they already gone?”

“No... Because I wanted to look at the map.”

“Oh. I see.”

“Because they... Vic’s never been in the area, and Chris has never been in the area, and I... so I wanted to find it on the map.”

“Oh!”

“I was... I was sure I could find it, but I never could. And it’s... Oh!... the name... the name...”

“That’s OK. It will come to you.”

“I know, but it’s a big name. That’s why I... wanted to remember.”

“You will. All right, the day’s speeding on. And you’re arriving.”

“Amazed... I’ll never be able to find a parking space, but I do. After turning around. I have to go up the hill and turn around.”

“Where did you find a parking space?”

“Almost in front.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Which... I know it’s going to be a good day.”

She laughs. “Good!”

“I’m just amazed, just walking up the hill, walking up the hill... I’m alone. I’m surprised, but it doesn’t matter. There’s a guest log to sign.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And everyone’s asked to sign.”

“And where’s the guest log?”

“Before you enter.”

“I see.”

“On the side of the house, before you can go... It’s not... I don’t know... I don’t think it’s mandatory, but I think it’s good.... It’s OK for me... to sign it. I don’t care. I mean, it’s not I don’t care but... I... I don’t have an invitation.”

“Did you have an invitation, a written invitation?”

“No. This was by word of mouth. Somebody told me.”

“Oh! I see. OK... And how many people are at the party?”

“It’s not... It’s not too crowded.”

“What time is it? Approximately?”

“It’s... it’s early. It’s one o’clock in the afternoon.”

“All right.”

“I never get there on time... never...”

“The late Eugene De Wijk?”

“Yes... Vic and Chris are already there.”

“OK, the day’s speeding ahead a little bit, and it’s 2 o’clock. 3 o’clock. 4 o’clock. 5 o’clock. 6 o’clock. What are you doing now?”

“What?”

“What are you doing?”

“I think I’m watching the police. I don’t know the time because I don’t keep track of time.”

“Uh-huh.”

“But the hour seems that way... the sky.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And they’ve come in. The police are coming.”

“Into the house?”

“Into the property. I’m on the balcony above the entrance, and I can look down over the balcony and see the police.”

“What are they doing?”

“They’re talking with the... they’re talking with the owners.”

“How many police are there?”

“There are one, two... seems like there’s three, and I... it seems like there’s three.”

“Do you see any cars?”

“No.”

“Any police cars?”

“It’s in the back of the house... the balcony.”

“Oh, I see.”

“They’re already in... into the house... I mean into the grounds.”

“Oh!”

“The grounds are very big.”

“Uh-huh.”

“They’re already there.”

“What do you think the problem is?”

“Oh... I don’t know, I just... I.. I.. I think.. I don’t think they should be there. I think maybe, you know, someone complained because the cars are parked. So many cars are parked.”

“Uh-huh.”

“So many cars are parked because now the party is very crowded. And that’s what I imagine. I don’t know the answer. I don’t know what’s right.”

“Do you hear other people talking around you?”

“Yes.. saying, ‘The police are here.’”

“The police are where?”

“‘The police are here.’ ‘Yes...’”

“Are people getting upset?”

“Not upset but annoyed. Well, maybe... maybe some people are... But I’m not upset. I’m just annoyed.”

“Are there any people leaving the party?”

“I think so... yes, I think there are. Yes, but there’s people been leaving, and people coming. But I think they’re leaving now because they’re afraid.”

“All right. While the party’s going on, I’d like you to tell me if anyone says anything to you about what they found out about the police being there or anything about the police.”

“They... They didn’t find... I didn’t want to talk about it.”

“Oh.”

“And... most of the people just ignored it and chose... chose to ignore them.”

“Uh-huh, but is it late now?”

“They hoped the police would go away... and they did.... And, yes...it’s... it’s late now, and... it’s dark... it’s getting dark... It’s dark, but everyone’s still happy.”

“Umm. Good. OK.”

“And no one’s asked to leave.”

“10 o’clock. 11 o’clock.”

“I think it’s... I’m going to leave because someone... some people who came have been there, and they’re leaving and... I didn’t want them to leave.”

“Oh. I see.”

“So I’m going to leave.”

“Uh-huh.”

“To go home.”

“Oh!”

“Not to go home.”

“Not to go home? Where to go?”

“I... want to meet someone.”

“Did you?”

“Yes, I met... I met... two people that I liked... but they left. So I’m going to go... I’m going to go to the Hayloft.”

“What’s the Hayloft?”

“A bar.”

“Where is it?”

“It’s on Ventura Boulevard.”

“OK. Are you going alone?”

“Yes.... yes, I’m driving.”

“You’re driving? Now?”

“Yes.”

“What street are you on?”

“I’m on the freeway. I’m driving on the freeway.”

“OK. Tell me when you pull into a parking place.”

“I’m in.”

“All righty. Are there many cars there?”

“Not... Not in the... not in the parking lot, but in the street.”

“Oh! Does it look like it’s crowded?”

“It’s a good movie... there’s a good movie tonight. The Pink Panther.”

“Inside the...?”

“They’re showing the movie inside.”

“Oh.”

“The Pink Panther, so I know it’s going to be crowded.”

“All righty. Tell me when you’re in.”

“I’m inside.”

“OK.”

He laughs. “I’m not wearing much.”

“You’re not wearing much?”

“No... I’m just wearing my cut-offs... and tank top... and sandals. I’m usually in slacks and a business shirt.”

“Is it cool tonight?”

“Yeah. Well, now it’s not cool... it’s comfortable. But I think it’s cool because of my clothes. It’s cool inside.”

“Is it?”

“But it’s comfortable. It’s nice. I like it. I like being there.”

“Good. And what are you doing now?”

“I’m using... I’m using the urinal.” He laughs.

“OK. Tell me when you’re done.”

“I’m done.”

“OK.”

“And... I’m coming out.”

“All right.”

“And... I feel really good.”

“OK.”

“I really feel good, and I...”

“Have you had anything to drink yet?”

“No, I’m going to... first, I’m going to order...”

“All right.”

“I ordered... I ordered a light...”

“A what?”

“I ordered a light beer.”

“Oh.”

“And... it tastes good.”

“Where are you sitting?”

“I’m... I’m standing and walking.”

“Uh-huh.”

“I like to... I like to... I don’t... I don’t like to sit so much, and I...”

“What do you see around you?”

“I see people. I don’t see them clearly though.”

“See anyone interesting?”

“I’m trying...”

“OK.”

“I like it.”

“You like what?”

“I just... I like being here... in... inside... I like being inside.”

“What can you hear?”

“I hear music, but I don’t know... I don’t know what it is. I hear music though.”

“Is it from the movie?”

“No. The movie’s over.”

“Oh! Did you miss it?”

“Yes... I missed the movie. There’s... I think there’s cartoons... I think there’s a cartoon.”

“Is that what the music’s coming from?”

“I’m confu... no, the cartoon’s coming... in between, the music...”

“OK. The jukebox is playing then?”

“Yes... it’s going... It’s going on and off.”

“All right. Tell me when something interesting happens.”

I’m... I’m... I’m impatient. I want... I want to go. I want to go home.”

“You want to go home?”

“And... because it’s late and... I see...”

“Pardon?”

“I see someone...”

“You do.”

“Yes.”

“Where do you see someone?”

“Sitting...”

“Sitting where?”

“Sitting at the bar.”

“How far away is he?”

“I’m... I’m standing at the cigarette... I’m standing at the cigarette machine. He’s not... He’s not far.”

“Oh. What does he look like?”

“He’s young... pleasant smile...”

“What color’s his hair?”

“It’s... it's ordinary.”

“How long?”

“Long... but not too long... To the back... to the end of... his neck.”

“Uh-huh.”

“To the end of his neck.”

“Is it long or short in the front?”

“It’s... it’s not in the front. It’s parted.”

“OK. What’s he wearing?”

“I see his face... I... I didn’t see his clothes at first.”

“Is he looking at you?”

“He’s... I’m not sure what he’s doing.”

“Is he with someone?”

“Umm... no... No... He’s sitting...”

“Where? Are you sure where he’s sitting?”

“I didn’t... I... I’m trying to concentrate and... And I think he’s just sitting. I think he’s just sitting, and he’s not... and he’s not... and he’s looking... he’s just sitting with a beer bottle. I’m confused... I... I...”

“Why are you confused?”

“Because I can’t see... I can’t see the sharpness, you know, I can’t see... I don’t... I’m...”

“Is it dark in there?”

“Yes. It’s... well, it’s... I can... You can see.”

“Uh-huh.”

“But you can’t see...”

“Pretty well?”

“Yes. I want to see clearly. I want... I want... I want to see it clearly...”

“OK. What I’m going to do is... I’m going to count to three and as I count, it will become clearer and clearer as you allow it. Become clearer and clearer. It will be so easy. Three, it’s becoming clearer. Two. One. What’s happening now?”

“There’s... sitting on the stool...”

“He’s sitting on a stool?”

“Yes.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Yes. And I think he’s facing me now and... I’m standing next to him.”

“Have you talked to him yet?”

“No.”

“OK. Tell me when you talk to him.”

“‘Have you got a cigarette?’ I ask...”

“And what does he say?”

“‘Here.’”

“And you?”

“Uh...”

“What are you saying now?”

“I’m... He’s... oh, God...”

“What kind of cigarettes does he smoke?”

“I don’t recog... I don’t care... I don’t care and... I wanted a cigarette, and who cares what kind?”

“Is it a menthol?”

“It’s... it’s... I’m concentrating...”

“Don’t concentrate.”

“But I want to. I’m... I’m trying to... I’m trying to focus on... I’m trying to focus on it.”

“OK. What I’d like you to do is just... instead of looking right at it, or right at anything, look a little away from it, and that way your focus will come in better. See?”

“Yes.”

“Just look at your hands, and look a little bit away from your hands, and you’ll see how much better you focus.”

“I see... he’s... he’s really nice. He’s very...”

“What’s he saying?”

“I... I don’t know... He’s not... he doesn’t talk very much.”

“What’s he already said?”

“He said... I have to ask the questions...”

“Uh-huh.”

“And he responds... he responds. He doesn’t ask... he’s not asking any questions.”

“What are you asking?”

“I’m asking his name.”

“Uh-huh. What’s his name?”

“I think it’s...”

“Now just hear him. Just listen to him.”

“His face is beautiful... and his hand is soft... I... I... I think I hear... Ron... But I say something... I’m saying, ‘Ron.’ But his name’s not important to me.”

“OK.”

“But I want to know it.”

“Uh-huh.”

“But it’s not important to me, and I don’t remember it, but I think...”

“Did he tell you his last name?”

“No... I didn’t ask... I... I didn’t ask.”

“OK.”

“But his face is beautiful.”

“And the evening is going on.”

“Oh...”

“Passing by a little quicker. Tell me what’s happening as it’s happening. Anything important.”

“His shirt...”

“Shirt?”

“Yeah, the shirt is silky and smooth.”

“Does he have broad shoulders? What kind of build does he have?”

“Very light... very light build... and... it’s almost like a surfer.”

“So not someone you’d see on Venice Beach?”

“No... not really.”

She smiles. “Uh-huh.”

“A surfer body shirt. The shirt seems like a surfer. I don’t know why, it’s... it’s silky... silky smooth. The color is... the color... looks like a surfer. It’s... it’s... blue... blues... Aqua blues... I like those colors.”

“What color pants does he have?”

“I... the pants are... no... the pants... I keep thinking... I keep thanking about seeing him lying in the cell... face down. I keep thinking about that.”

Gene is getting upset.

“What do you think about him?” Jessica asks calmly.

“I think it’s terrible. I think it’s awful. I think it’s terrible.”

“OK.”

“And I want to stop it. It seems terrible for that to happen to him. I don’t know why... I mean, I know why... I think it’s terrible, but I want to... The pants... the color... the color.”

Gene’s almost distraught. Jessica continues, even more calmly.

“All right. Just erase that question,” she says.

“I... I can’t concentrate on his pants.”

“That’s OK. All right, just relax. Take a deep breath. Very deep. Very relaxed and very comfortable. Relaxing more now, relaxing even more. All right. We’ve decided to leave. We’ve decided to leave, and you’re walking out to the car.”

“Yeah, he’s very...”

“He’s what?”

“He’s very... He’s very lively... just full of life.”

“What’s he saying?”

“‘Where’s your car parked?’”

“Uh-huh.”

“‘Right up here. In the parking lot.’”

“That’s your reply?”

“Yes. ‘It’s in the parking lot,’ and then...”

“Did you hear anyone else talk to Ron?”

“People... people are with me.”

“With you?”

“Someone... I didn’t... I didn’t hear anyone talk to him.”

“Uh-huh. Did you see anyone talk to him?”

“I... I think there’s someone... I think there’s someone...”

“There’s someone what?”

“There’s someone talking, but... not... It seems like... I meet... I meet them.”

“You meet who?”

“I meet... I meet... My friends? I’m not sure.”

“What friends? Do you mean in the Hayloft?”

“To say ‘hello.’”

“Oh, I see.”

“And to introduce... I think... I think I introduce them...”

“Uh-huh.”

“It seems so vague to me.”

“All right, you’ve gotten in your car.”

“Yes.”

“OK. You’re in your car.”

“Yes.”

“Are you driving?”

“No.”

“No?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“He is.”

“Ron?”

“Yes.”

“Did you ask him to?

“Yes... No... He thought... We thought it would be better.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Because I was at the party... at the pool... And I... I had some drinks.”

“Before the bar?”

“Yes.”

“And then the beer?”

“Yes... the beers.”

“So he was driving?”

“Yes, but my car... he took the keys.”

“And then what happened?”

“He drove out of the parking lot... onto the street.”

“Ventura Boulevard?”

“Yes.”

“Was there any traffic? Were there other cars?”

“I don’t remember... it was dark.”

“Weren’t there streetlights?”

“Lights... yes... on the street...

“So you could see?”

“Yes.”

“And then what happened?”

“He drove a couple of blocks... He drove a couple of blocks, and there were police.”

“A police car?”

“Yes.”

“Ahead of you?”

“Behind... he said the car was behind us.”

“Did you look?”

“Yes.”

“And did you see it?”

“Yes.”

“Were its lights on?”

“Lights?”

“The red lights. The ones on the roof. That revolve.”

“No... no lights on the roof.”

“And then what happened?”

“He turned.”

“Ron?”

“Yes... he turned onto... I think... Laurel... Laurel Canyon. And he said the police turned.”

“And did you look again?”

“Yes.”

“And were the red lights on?”

“No... no lights.”

“And what happened next?”

“They followed us... they kept following.”

“Can you remember how long?”

“A block... maybe two... A couple.”

“Uh-huh.”

“And then he pulled over... Ron.”

“Did he tell you why?”

“He said they told us to... told us to stop.”

“How?”

“How?... I don’t know... What do you mean?”

“Were the red lights on?”

“The lights?... I don’t know... maybe... Yes.”

“Then you saw them?”

“Yes.”

“And what happened?”

“They came to our car.”

Copyright © 2021 RichEisbrouch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hypnotherapy is a powerful tool in the hands of a skilled therapist.  Great format for the beginning of a story.  Looking forward to the development.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..