Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wisecracking Across America - 48. Chapter 48

Tuesday, June 29, 1999

And sometimes communication fails. Cathy had mentioned a plantation town at dinner, kind of in the direction we were headed, and Tom had seemed interested. I said it sounded like a good idea, but the next morning, when humidity hit, the thought of walking around for two hours in moist mist made it less interesting. Besides, after Williamsburg, Charleston, and Savannah, this would be more of the same.

So I made other plans, told Tom, and he said fine. Still, I didn't realize how unhappy he was till we were zipping along the bayou.

"I really wanted to see a plantation," he said quietly.

I thought for a moment, then offered to go back.

"No," he decided. "It's too late."

"Oh, come on," I pointed out. "We have no schedule."

He was silent another minute, I guessed thinking. "No, it's out of the way."

It was way out of the way, and I didn't feel like going back. But I didn't want him pissed off, either.

"I just figured this drive would be terrific," I apologized.

And it was. It was beautiful. We were driving along the edge of the Gulf, even closer to the water than we'd been at Big Sur. The day had that same surrealistic feeling: That the world ended here. That nothing else was explorable. Had Isabella seen this, she never would have hocked her jewels for Columbus.

Cathy had warned us not to go. When I'd asked what was on this unmarked portion of the map, she'd said, "Swamp." But there was so much more than you could see from a tree-lined interstate. Still, if what you wanted was a plantation...

We reached a small, unexpected ferry, which distracted Tom a bit. He'd almost even relaxed, when we hit a detour in Port Arthur.

"Which way?" he asked.

I studied the map. "Left."

"The detour points right."

"But I can guess where they're taking us. This'll be shorter."

Though not pretty. Still, I knew there was a beautiful stretch of beach ahead, after another ferry ride into Galveston. We just had to get there before Tom killed me.

It took a while. The detour was slow, and even when we rode the ferry, with gulls flying wildly, silhouetted against the dark sky, Tom remained quiet.

Galveston Strip didn't help: Unbroken motels on one side. Grey surf on the other.

"We could find a place to stay," I suggested.

He didn't want to, and I couldn't deny the place was grim: Six lanes of busy traffic clutching a concrete shore. Two nights earlier, when Tom and I stopped by the police booth on the Gulf Shores boardwalk, we'd asked what their red flag meant. "Severe undertow," came the reply, the red flag whip-cracking as reinforcement. Galveston Bay had the same look.

Maybe if the sun had been out, maybe if it had been a bright, warm day, Tom might have enjoyed the drive. At least, the breeze had temporarily dropped the humidity. But the night wind that replaced it was as uninviting.

To give me a safety net, we pulled over, and I called ahead for motel reservations---choosing the best place possible, an hour out of the city. And that amazing stretch of beach still lay before us.

It was even eerier than I remembered. The sky was purple and blue and pink above the inland sandbars. On the ocean side, the horizon broke only for dark vacation homes on stilts.

"Amazing, no?" I asked.

Tom answered, "How much further?"

A toll booth sign gave us the distance: Twenty-one miles. And though I was stunned by the view, I knew we were losing light, and Tom had been driving since noon. Also, the tiniest tug on my memory told me something was off about Freeport.

Then we saw lights and I remembered: It was a city of gas refineries, all lit up by industrial glare. At least, gas was odorless. If this stank, like turnpike New Jersey, Tom would have staked me on the dunes.

"We should have stayed in Galveston," I gulped.

The only thing that helped was Tom hated that even more.

"It's all right," he insisted, probably not meaning a word of it. But it was the friendliest he'd been all day.

Then things got worse.

"Turn here?" Tom asked.

A long bridge had appeared from nowhere.

I didn't know. A scary 7-11 lay across the road. Guys like gorillas, boozing and sporting cigars. I got out, then wimped, and asked a man sitting in his car.

"Just across the water," he advised.

Well, not "just."

Seven winding, X-Files miles later, we parked at our motel. Which, fortunately, was perfect. But every restaurant was closed.

"Almost," the girl behind the counter smiled. "There's the chicken place. And the burger place."

The burger place killed its lights as we drove up, and the chicken place was out of chicken. "If you wait twenty minutes, we'll make more, hon," the cook offered.

Tom didn't want to wait. He was tired, and hungry, and I'd made him drive too far.

"There's a supermarket," I said. We'd just passed it. "I'll make sandwiches. They can't be worse than some dinners we've had."

"I can get beer," Tom replied.

Which he did, practically chugging it in the aisle. I grabbed bread, and meat, and anything I could think of quickly, then made sandwiches, which we ate in our cool motel room.

"Not bad," Tom had to admit. Alcohol helped.

"We won't drive this far again," I swore. We'd gone almost four-hundred miles.

"If I'd known in advance..."

"I didn't know myself... About the detour..."

That seemed no excuse. In the silence, the dog gnawed our leftovers.

"At least, you got two ferry rides," I told Tom. "And the Galveston sky was great. The gulls. The sunset."

He nodded, then slugged his beer.

Close, but no plantation.

 

394 miles

2000 Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 8
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was another interesting chapter.  I have visited many of the locations described.  I was stationed at Eglin AFB near Fort Walton Beach, Florida, during my time in the US Air Force.  I visited Pensacola many times.  Rosie O'Grady's was an entertainment venue with sing along Dixieland and popular music.  Later in my life, I visited Galvaston for a job interview.  I remembered that visit, especially when the hurricanes and tropical storms came across Galveston Island.

 

I am really enjoying this story, but am still waiting for some romantic happenings.

Link to comment

Nah, there just aren't going to be any overt romantic happenings.  We'd already been seeing each other for over a year when I mentioned the trip and Tom asked if he could come along.  I asked if he could get a couple of months off, and when he said "Yes," that finalized it.  He said he'd get someone to watch the dog, and I said, "Nah, she's coming along.  A good friend of mine always traveled with her dog and said it was a great way to make friends."   Then Tom suggested using the truck instead of my car.  As you can tell by the journal, we had a pretty good, easy-going relationship to start with, and that just got better as we drove along.  That was the romance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..