Jump to content
    ricky
  • Author
  • 710 Words
  • 6,118 Views
  • 10 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Bus Ride To Truth - A true short story - 1. Chapter 1

He was only 12 when we got him. Inherited, I say but in truth he needed discipline and never had it. But that's a different story. Suffice it to say he responded here, where he didn't with his biological parents, my wife's sister.

He had been with us for almost a year. I played hardball. I figured he was eighty percent or more of who he was going to be as an adult. I didn't have time to soft pedal his lessons on life. There was just a short time to give him the tools he needed before life had him in its clutches squeezing him to death.

The first and most important thing I impressed upon him was he may not like what I have to say to him, but it was sure to be the truth. Always! It was a consistency he never experienced before. You never really know if they are listening to you once their eyes glaze over. But once in a while you get a glimpse that you are reaching them; they actually hear you.

Part of the agreement for him to stay with us was that he could go and visit the bio-parents on some weekends, provided his behavior was good and they were receptive to him coming. I would put him on a non-stop Greyhound and he would ride about three hours then be met by his parents.

Well, the plan was in place, everything was set. We were standing in line to put him on the bus when the driver walked over and calmly stated, "This bus is full, I'm afraid you'll all have to wait for the next bus. It'll be here in about an hour." She walked on without waiting for a comment.

I looked at my boy and said," Stay right here, I'll be right back." I broke through the line and caught up with the driver.

"Excuse me."

She stopped and turned around to me.

"Uh, excuse me but I am here to put a minor child onboard. His parents already left to meet the bus to pick him up and there is no way to get hold of them. He must be on this bus or they will just freak out."

She thought for a moment. "Well do you think he would mind sitting on the jump seat in the stairs there? It's not very comfortable."

I looked at her and smiled, "He'll love it. You may hate it because he can really talk. But he'll just love it."

"Well fine then, he can keep me awake." she said smiling. "You tell him that seat is his. I'll be back over there in just a minute."

She turned and went into the terminal. I returned to the line wondering how to keep him from talking her leg off all the way there. Then I had an inspiration.

"Well son, I have good news and I have bad news. Which do you want first?"

Without thinking he blurted out, as I knew he would, "The good news!"

I said to him as I pointed to the open door of the bus, "You see that fold down seat in the stairwell?"

He replied, "Ya."

"Well that is your seat!"

"Coooool," he said, staring at the fold down seat. I mean after all, it was a special seat, no one else got to sit in it unless you were another driver and it was even forward of the yellow safety line! Then he got really quiet and said meekly, "So what's the bad news?"

I said, with just a hint of a smile on my face, "The bad news is, if you distract her too much and she wrecks the bus, you're the first to die."

He just stared at that seat on the stairwell of the bus, not moving, blinking or saying a word. A guy in the line behind us reached around and tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey kid, do you believe everything he tells ya?"

If I live to be a thousand I will never forget his response.

Without looking away from that seat for one second, not even to look at who tapped him on the shoulder, he said, "Yep, he never lies."

Copyright © 2011 ricky; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Haha 3
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 01/13/2011 08:23 PM, Stargazer said:
That was a funny, enjoyable little tale! :2thumbs:
Thanks. You never quite know if your kids are listening. But once in a while, like here, you get a glimpse. Thanks again for the great review. Cheers, R
Link to comment
On 02/21/2011 08:43 AM, sojourn said:
I can relate. I liked it. Thanks for the memories it inspired.
Thanks for the review. It really makes a difference, you feel much more inclined to write and post when you know they are being read.
Link to comment

Wow... Awesome quip there "the bad news is... you'll be the first to die". I have two sisters around that age, so I imagine a similar look on his face as my sisters when they are told something they don't know whether they should believe. Kudos on this vignette. :)

Link to comment
On 05/10/2011 06:34 AM, Raijen said:
Wow... Awesome quip there "the bad news is... you'll be the first to die". I have two sisters around that age, so I imagine a similar look on his face as my sisters when they are told something they don't know whether they should believe. Kudos on this vignette. :)
Kids are amazing creatures. Sometimes they surprise you. His deadpan delivery was perfect too. He's 29 years old now with his own family. I can see a lot of me in him sometimes. He turned out to be a really good man too. What more can a father ask.
Link to comment

That was a funny little story, and really good that you gave some info about the young man growing up and how he turned out. That's so precious. Wow!

Link to comment
On 01/27/2014 05:58 AM, Krzysztof said:
Interesting, although I felt sorry for the child, being proabably quite frightened :P.
He was fine. A great kid and a fine adult.
Link to comment
On 09/23/2014 07:25 PM, Jaro_423 said:
That was a funny little story, and really good that you gave some info about the young man growing up and how he turned out. That's so precious. Wow!
Ya he's a great kid and now a beautiful man. A breeder but nobody's perfect right? LOL, thanks for reading and reviewing.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..