Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icarus operative - 14. Fourteen

 

Eden, one of the two inhabited moons

of Planet Halan II in the Rivulak System

Covenant Year 329

 

TWENTY FOUR DAYS BEFORE THE ARREST

 

Bristow was not happy at all at having to land the Persephone on the most horrible of both of Halan II’s moons: Eden. But then again, Rogh’la had been very clear when he’d told her the only place in all the Rivulak System where she could purchase a decent plasma injector at a fairly moderate price was at Crafter’s Buddies, in Ebentown on Eden. So here they were, approaching the landing strip of the tiny spaceport on Eden, as Athsari received instructions from the Control Center.

The Captain had asked Missdon to assemble the crew for a brief meeting as soon as they landed; Bristow wanted to make sure everyone knew better than to wander around the moon for too long, since she wanted to leave both Eden and the Rivulak System ASAP.

The Persephone landed softly on Edenian soil as the sunset approached, and Rodríguez removed her headset. “We’re done, Captain.”

“Thanks, Athsari,” Bristow said, “Please join the rest of the crew in the meeting room. I’ll be with all of you shortly.”

“Aye, Captain,” the Mexican woman answered and went on her way.

Auriel inhaled deeply and closed her eyes, an exercise she liked to observe before a meeting. She was glad, though, that all of her crew looked up to her and respected every order she issued. After all these years, she had proven once and again how protective she was of her crew, as if they were her own children, which she’d never had, at least not yet.

Swift came on the bridge at her request with the balance of the month in a padnic, ‘cause they both needed to go over the figures and see where they could cut from in order to get the new plasma injector they needed.

“Hello, Captain,” Swift said smiling at Auriel Bristow, who smiled back.

“Hey, Swift! Have you found they way to go get that injector we desperately need?”

“I’ve seen a couple of places from where we could cut, but …”

“But?”

“It’s either cutting food supplies or payroll …”

“I don’t think I’m okay with any of those options.”

“We could always cut from my fee … You can pay me later on, when we’ve recovered …”

“No, Swift,” Bristow said, “That’s very generous of you but I think …”

“Captain, we do need the injector,” Swift said, “and you know I’m really organized with my finances, I’ve got my savings and I spend very little. My offer in an honest one.”

“I know, Swift, and I thank you for it, but …”

“Captain …”

“Well see. Now, walk with me, let’s meet the rest of the crew.”

As they exited the bridge and walked through the corridors in silence, Auriel found herself thinking about a family, something she hadn’t stopped to consider in the comings and goings of her travels. Truth? She’d never really considered settling down and raising children. But now, as her thirtyseventh nameday got closer, she realized she did have to consider the issue if she was to become a mother; after all, going beyond her forties, she wouldn’t risk her own health, or the child’s, for that matter.

In all these years of stablishing herself as a respectable and reliable trader, she hadn’t really considered becoming a mother. Except, maybe, for the brief time in which she’d dated McLahlan, but that now looked like ages ago.

She backtracked on her life and it seemed like she had only focused on her career; after all, the Persephone had been the dream of her life, the opportunity of becoming economically independent and finding her way through the galaxy. And so, ten years later, she felt more than satisfied at what she had accomplished; much more than many women her age had, or had ever dreamed of.

‘What the heck’s going on in my head,’ she asked herself as the entrance to the mess hall came into view, ‘that I’m suddenly thinking about starting a family and having children? And, why am I thinking of Mark once again, when all of that crumbled to the ground so many years ago?’

She was glad everybody had already gathered around the big table of the meeting room. Most of them, she could observe, were making jokes and having fun with each other as they waited for Bristow. Athsari, who had been the last to join them a moment before the captain herself did, was now chatting with Jay; and, given the coloring of his face, Auriel imagined what the topic of the conversation might have been.

“Allright, everyone,” she said as she took her seat at the head of the table.

Swift sat down next to Semyon and everybody stopped whatever conversations had been going on and turned to face the Captain. The distribution of the people, the captain noticed, was rather different than in any of their previous meetings. Rhar, for instance, was sitting between Hadz and Jay, who was also next to Athsari. The Ahmoses were sitting together, no change there. But she then saw Merrilyn and Semyon sitting together, the latter next to Nikk. Philip was sitting on the leather couch which lay aside, apparently paying no attention to anyone.

“Captain,” Missdon said and smiled in her direction, a gesture that everybody else mimicked.

“So,” Bristow said, “We’re going to be around for probably just tomorrow. At least that’s how long I’m expecting it to be. If there’s no need for you to leave the ship, I’d suggest you stay on board. O’Malley, Missdon, I’d like you both to accompany Jay once he’s located the injector we need.”

“Captain?” Merrilyn said smiling and flapping her eyelashes in that gesture she tried on everyone when she wanted something, “Do you think it would be possible for me to go around the market places tomorrow morning? I mean, you never know when something we might need could pop out.”

Bristow smiled at her, for she knew how much the young cook enjoyed visiting markets and places of the sort every time she had a chance too.

“Very well, but make sure there’s someone with you at all times. And try and make it as fast as possible, allright?”

“Aye, aye, Captain!” she said happily and looked at Athsari, who agreed with a nod of her head, even when she hadn’t yet been asked. Athsari was not pretty much into buying stuff, but Merrilyn had discovered some time ago that she could be an awesome shopping companion, especially, because she was rather patient and had a very good eye for clothing. Now that they’d been paid, Merrilyn was definitely up for a shopping frenzy to calm down the horrible depression which had resulted from seeing the object of her affection kissing the ship’s doctor some nights before.

“Well, if there’s nothing else then …”

“Captain?” it was Melaree this time.

“Yes, Doctor?”

“If’s allrigh’ with you, I’d like to make use of Swift’s time to assist me on a couple of things I want to get done in the infirmary tomorrow?”

“Swift?” Bristow asked the accountant.

“Of course, Captain,” Swift said, “there’s nothing urgent for me to attend to.”

“Very well, then, report to Doctor Melaree as soon as you’re available. I’ll be out for a couple of hours, I`m going to rendezvous with an old friend of mine, taking advantage of our being here. I won’t be seeing you all around for dinner, so enjoy. Dismissed.”

“Captain?” said Semyon approaching the captain as soon as everybody had cleared the messhall.

“Yes, Semyon?”

“Uhm … well, I was wondering … you know, about Espinosa …?”

“Right!” Bristow said as she looked at the youngest and newest member of her crew, “I’ll see that he’s released immediately.”

“Thank you, Captain.”

Semyon started walking towards the exit, when the Captain called him. “Semyon?”

“Yes, ma’am?”

“Well,” she said approaching him, “do you think you could see for Mister Espinosa to be assigned quarters and give him the tour around the ship?”

“I’d be glad to, ma’am.” Semyon said and exited the messhall.

Bristow couldn’t help but smile as Semyon left. She knew he was a good boy at heart and just hoped that, whatever it was he and Merri had witnessed a couple of nights before –for nobody had truly told her what had happened-, he would find it in himself to not let himself be hurt by Rharthza. And with that thought in mind, she left the messhall on her way to the rear hatch of her ship, where she’d take the roader. After all, it had been some good five years since the last time she’d seen the likes of Rogh’la, the Rivulan trader with whom she’d kept a close friendship over the years.

***************

Espinosa felt so happy when Semyon gave him the news that he was going to be released from the brig, that he hugged the lad close to him for a moment; a moment that had made Zalicker feel as uneasy as ever. He did like Espinosa, and he had discovered that his own body reacted in a rather enthusiastic manner every time the man was close.

“This is the best news I’ve gotten since I found myself wandering in that Launchhole, realizing I could not remember anything from my past and being chased by Covenant Police!”

Semyon broke the embrace as politely as he could and turned to face the door to the brig, as well as to conceal the upcoming erection fighting against his cargo pants.

“Great then!” he said, “If you’ll follow me, I’ll take you to yer quarters now.”

“Sounds great!” Espinosa added and walked behind Semyon as he left the small room that was one of three in the brig.

They walked through a corridor, went two interdeck ladders up, took another corridor and came into the living area. Semyon doublechecked on his padnic that he was on the right door, pulled the leaver and smiled at Espinosa as the door opened.

“Here you are,” he said, “this is what you’ve been assigned. I hope you find it acceptable.”

“Anything is better than the brig, wouldn’t you agree?” the man asked as he looked around.

The room was small, but cozy. There was a bed next to the left wall, a desk right of the bed and a small door to the bathroom left of the bed. The desk had a tiny wooden stool and there was a small chest of drawers next to it.

“I know it’s not much …” Semyon started.”

“Hey,” Espinosa said, coming close to him, “it’s just perfect, really. I honestly have no words to thank you for what you have done for me. Really.”

“Well,” Semyon replied, “I just tought t’was the right thing to do.”

“I believe it was not only that, now, was it?”

Semyon thought of an answer for a couple of minutes as Espinosa opened the door to the bathroom. There, he pushed the half notorious button that popped the sink from inside the wall. Semyon heard the water emanating from the faucet and realized Espinosa must have been washing.

“No,” he said, “t’was not only that. There was something in your eyes that day we met, this kind o’ … I don’t know.”

“I figured as much,” Espinosa said as he came from the bathroom, shirtless and drying his face and hair with the towel.

Semyon wanted to look away, because he did not want Espinosa to notice how he was staring. And he did not mean to stare, but the man’s perfect torso, with water droplets trickling down, was a sight Semyon found fascinating.

When Espinosa noticed how Semyon was staring, he partially smiled and looked at him in the eye.

“You might wanna close your mouth now.”

Semyon turned around, the heat of the blush creeping all over his face.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “I didn’t really mean to stare … It’s just … I just …”

“You homsey?”

Semyon felt the blush creeping all over his body and stationing in his face.

“No!” Semyon almost screamed, “Well … I mean … I …”

“Cause it’s okay if you are, I mean …” Espinosa said and walked from where he stood and approached Semyon who was now almost standing by the door to his quarters. He positioned himself right in front on the lad, looking a little bit downward so as to look him straight in the eye.

“There’s no need to get uncomfortable, Semyon,” Espinosa said and then smiled, “I assure you I feel perfectly comfortable around you. Being homsey or anything. You did save me, you know? And that’s something I’ll always be grateful for.”

Semyon tried and look away, for he felt awfully akward being so close to the man. He had now realized how many things Espinosa caused to stir within himself and he felt uncomfortable at that realization. This man, with a simple look on his eyes, with a simple touch of his hand, made Semyon feel like he was burning inside, like there was nothing he wanted to do other than kiss him deeply; like there was nowhere he wanted to be but in his arms.

Espinosa must have realized what was going through Semyon’s mind, for he smiled once again and, ever so tenderly, leaned towards him and kissed him in the forehead.

And that was just more than the Nabïan could handle. He moved aside and ran towards the exit of the room, leaving Espinosa alone and bedazzled at his own reaction. He ran and ran through the corridor, and did not stop until he was in front of the door to his own quarters.

***************

Auriel felt the hot summer air blowing in her face as the roader moved through the streets of Ebentown. She was not happy at being in the God forsaken satellite, but she was enthusiastic about seeing Rogh’la. After all, it had been almost a good five years since she had seen him for the last time. Now, as she drove the unpaved street, she thought of how little time she had devoted to friends over the years. Rogh’la, for some reason, had been one of the few people who’d managed to stay in touch. And this was the first time they would see each other in a very long time.

“See the light!” a man, dressed more like a beggar, was yelling on the street and giving pamphlets away, “See the light and stop the tyranny once and for all!” As the man spoke, some curious people gathered around him and listened to his propaganda. He spoke of the true rulers of Halan II and the wicked nature of the Covenant. Some people in the crowd cheered as he spoke and some others booed.

Not three blocks ahead, the scene repeated itself, another plaza and another speaker talking about the same. She tried not to pay too much attention, but the environment did seem tense, as if about to explode. She brought the roader to a halt when she was in front of the man’s house. Not a big house, but not modest either, wooden made and with a lovely Porsche up front.

“Hey you!” Rogh’la yelled from the Porsche, where he’d been sitting and having a beer while waiting for her. He was wearing beige pants, a sleeveless white shirt, and suspenders. There was a handosme brown short hat on his head, which he used to protect himself from the sun, and that was totally out of place now that the night was falling.

“Hey you!” Auriel said as she approached the tall buff albino. Rogh’la stood from the chair he’d been using and hugged her rather enthusiastically, as they kissed both cheeks. The man kept her in his embrace for some time, until she finally separated.

“So,” she said, “how you’ve been keeping busy these days?”

Rogh’la had a long gulp from his beer and then smiled at her.“Business, you know, as usual.”

They both sat down and Auriel removed her light blazer.

“Hot?” the man asked, “How about a beer?”

Auriel nodded as she placed her blazer on the back of the chair.

“Marla!” Rogh’la yelled, “Would’ya bring me a beer sweetheart?”

Almost immediately, the woman came from inside the house holding a cold beer. She was an average Rivulan, kind of short, kind of dark skinned and full in shape.

“There you go, darling,” Marla said, and then smiled at Auriel with a lovely and transparent smile, “I’m Marla,” she said, and then went back inside the house.

“She’s beautiful,” Auriel Bristow said.

“And she’ll bear me a lot o’kids,” Rogh’la said, and laughed his manly scandalous laugh.

Auriel smiled and nodded. And, as Rogh’la spoke of the kids he wanted to have and the plans he and Marla were making, she found herself thinking of how her life would be if she had any kids of her own. And her thoughts took her back to those times when she’d been happy with Mark. And now she wondered if they would’ve been good parents, had they remained together.

“Hey,” the man asked looking at her, “are you still in there?”

“Yes,” she said smiling, “I’m still here, was just thinkin’ of you having kids …”

“Really? Why so?”

“To tell you the truth, I have never thought of any of us having kids and raising a family. Maybe, because of what we do, or …” she said pausing for some seconds, “… or maybe ‘cause I thought we’d always be young and wild, and full of dreams.”

Rogh’la looked at Auriel Bristow and grinned.

“Settling down does not mean not having dreams anymore, Auriel. Have you thought of that?”

“I guess you’re right,” she said, unconvinced, “I just never thought of us … never mind.”

She then drank from her beer and smiled at her long time friend. Rogh’la drank as well and looked at his friend, she did seem pensive. Was it possible that she was troubled by the thought of settling down? Or was it something else? If he didn’t know her like he did, he’d thought she was terminally ill.

“Is everything allright, Auriel?”

“Yeah, yeah,” she said, “everything’s fine. Just some ghosts from the past that seem to be coming to collect their due.”

“Oh,” Rogh’la said, “I see. Does any of those ghosts go by the name of Mark?”

Auriel smiled but said nothing.

“C’mon, Auriel,” the albino said, “he’s a moron, and you’d do you good not thinking about him anymore.”

“I know, I know!” she snapped.

But she knew he was right, as was everyone else who’d advised her to do the very same thing. Then, they remained silent for some time in the porsche of Rogh’la’s house, as they had some beers together. After all, the Persephone was not going to be there long, and only God knew when they’d have the chance to share some drinks again.

Took some time, but I'm back! Hope you stay tuned andas usual, reviews are always welcome!
"©2015 Roberto Zuñiga;All Rights Reserved."
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..