Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icarus operative - 9. Nine

Launchhole U IV

Covenant Year 329

 

TWENTY SEVEN DAYS BEFORE THE ARREST

 

Athsari and Jay had just finished clearing information with the Launching Space Traffic Control tower of Launchhole U IV, and they were glad they had. After the long subspace meeting with the traffic authorities, The Persephone had been scheduled for launching at 0700 hours the day after next. So, for now, they would be able to leave the bridge and enjoy dinner in the mess hall along the rest of the crew.

“Thank God it’s over!” Athsari told him removing the wireless headset and placing it on the piloting console. “I was starting to have a headache!”

“I hear you!” Jay answered placing his headset on the console too.

Jay was wearing a pair of beige dress pants, much less loose than his usual cargo pants. Somehow, he felt more comfortable with these tight ones and, now that he thought about it, he did think his butt looked kind of cute in them; the suspenders also contributed by pulling the pants up.

Athsari noticed the change of pants in her crewmate and kind of smiled. Actually, she had never noticed Jay had such a very nice looking ass and she decided this pair of pants did him much more justice than his usual cargos. Still, she wondered what had motivated such a drastic change in wardrobe. She did have kind of an idea, though.

“So,” she said casually as she pulled the cup of coffee from the console, “what’s with the new pants?”

“Um ….” he looked down to the deck floor, unable to look at Athsari in the eye and blinking rapidly, “Just wanted to try something different, s’all.”

“Hey,” she said as casually as she was able to manage, “You do know you can trust me right?”

“Sure I do. Thanks.”

“No, really,” she said once again, this time smiling at Jay, “If you ever need someone to talk to, I just want you to know I’m here.”

“Thanks, Athsari,” Jay replied blinking rapidly four times in a row, “I’ll keep it in mind.”

He started walking towards the exit of the Bridge, when Athsari said over the bridge’s usual noises. “Hey, I think it was a very good change.”

“Really?” Jay asked turning from the door frame, his face completely blushed now.

“Really.” She nodded and winked.

Jay smiled and went on his way, leaving Athsari to herself on the bridge of The Persephone. She stood there for another moment; she needed to finish her cup of coffee –it was a very expensive coffee after all, and she didn’t like how it tasted if reheated-. She sipped from the cup and smiled again remembering Jay’s new pair of pants.

She had known the engineer for almost four years now, and it was the first time she saw him working a bit on his image. Oh, she was not surprised he’d never really paid attention to how he looked. After all, he lived more in his own private engine world talking to machines. This change of pants, however, spoke of more than just a change of clothing.

Athsari knew almost immediately he was probably trying to look better for someone. Who? She definitely had to find out, ‘cause she still didn’t like and did not want to put up with the idea it had to do with Rharthza.

There were not that many on board, and she found it funny how interactions took place when you worked on a spaceship. It came to the same old and all, if anyone on the crew felt like dating someone … well, it would definitely have to be someone from the crew. Though, on second thought, that would also make things complicated if it didn’t work out. Sometimes, it was not that you felt like dating, but magic just happened. Or rather chemistry happened.

She herself had had an affair with Rharthza some years before, when she’d first come on board The Persephone, but it had never been like real dating, or a real relationship. Back then, it had only been a bed story. And a good one, for that matter, because it was an undeniable fact Rhar was as great a lover as he was a doctor … but that was all there was to him.

She didn’t regret it though, having been involved with him. They had both been very clear about the sex from day one and, though she sometimes missed him in bed –she did every now and then-, all those years as crewmates had shown her how Rharthza Melaree really was regarding relationships: an absolute null. She, on the other hand, did want to have a real and serious relationship, so she kept expecting the right one to fall for. If it came to that, she was more than willing to leave her job as pilot of the Persephone; or, to bring the one in question on board.

While it happened, however, she felt happily in love with her job, and enjoyed everybody’s company. Yes, Rharthza’s included, for after their brief affair, they had become good friends. Not very close friends, though, it was not like she was made of stone and ready to know everything regarding his bedding stories; especially considering those involved were not only women, but also men.

She sipped the last of her coffee and placed the mug in the small counter beside the piloting console. She smiled as she remembered those days in which she had been involved with Rharthza, acknowledging the fact those had been good days. Now however, she only expected to fall in love with someone who cared. And then she found herself thinking of Arthur Ahmose again, with whom she’d be meeting in an hour. Once again she asked herself whether it was a good idea to follow his lead. After all, he’d be gone in less than a month, and she wasn’t really sure she was in the mood for some bed story with this stranger, no matter how handsome or charming he was. Yes, she thought he was both charming and handsome.

But the more she thought of it, the more she found herself thinking back on his puppy eyes, on his dark blond hair and his gentle smile, on that sweet scent of him. She suddenly realized she’d closed her eyes and she was smiling like an idiot as she thought of Arthur. Was it really worth the try?

***************

Semyon was amazed at all the people coming and going around the commercial area of Launchhole U IV, as well as the commercial area itself.

It was around 1600 hundred hours and, according to Merrilyn, the best time of day to see the stores. Truth was, he’d never ever left Nabï Yunus until the day he came onboard the Persephone and had never seen so much luxury in his life. Swift and Merrilyn had come along and were basically giving him the tour around the place.

“Isn’t it awesome?” Merrilyn asked him, completely excited about the stores.

“It is,” he said, “I’d never seen any place like this ‘fore.”

He didn’t really know where to turn his sight to. The whole place was a master piece of minimalistic engineering. To some extent, the whole place reminded him of the base stations he’d seen lots of times in the traveler magazines he’d read back in Nabï Yünus; the plain metallic floor, the metallic walls with twists and pipelines arranged in such a way they merged into the visual aspect of the place. The stores, located on both sides of the wide corridor were basically glass constructions merged with the metal frames of the walls.

“I could sooooooo live in a Launchhole!” Merrilyn said interrupting Semyon’s thoughts.

“Oh, I don’t think I could!” Swift said.

“Are you kidding, Swift?” she asked, “What’s not to like about it?”

“For starters,” the little man said, “There’s no real sky, or plant life, you’re not really on a planet. It’s like … it’s like you’re secluded … I don’t know if I’m making any sense ….”

“Not really,” she said laughing.

“I think I get ya,” Semyon said.

“You boring things!” she said jokingly.

He smiled at her remark and they all kept on walking around, Merrilyn hung from Semyon’s arm as they passed by a boutique.

“Oh my God!” she technically screamed, making both Semyon and Swift jump, “look at that gorgeous dress in the window! Oh, my! How I wish I could afford one of those!”

“Oh! She wishes she could afford the whole boutique!” Swift said and started laughing.

“Very expensive?” Semyon asked.

“You bet!” she explained, “Those are tailor-made designer dresses, the most expensive in probably the whole galaxy!”

“I see,” he said.

As they walked, Semyon started feeling a bit impatient about Merrilyn’s attention to every single boutique window they passed by. He wanted to see so much, he knew there was so much to see, and Merrilyn seemed so interested in her designer dresses, designer shoes and designer accessories … he didn’t really care about any such items at all.

“So,” Semyon asked Swift while Merrilyn drooled over a nightgown, “Is she always like this?”

“Just in launchholes,” Swift said smiling.

“Would the Captain be very mad if we left her on her own?” Semyon asked.

“Nah. Launchholes are very safe spots. Anything in mind you might want to see?”

“I guess.”

“So, Merri,” Swift said in the most casual of tones, “what do you say if we split and meet here back in … say a couple of hours?”

Merrilyn smiled at Swift and Semyon, mostly without removing her eyes from a fancy Iridian Silk cocktail dress and nodded. “Sure. 1800 hours back at the spot where we began?”

“There it will be,” Swift said.

“Enjoy the dresses!” added Semyon.

And having said so, they started walking on their own.

“So,” Semyon started to break the awkward silence, “Do you enjoy Launchholes?”

“I do. But I mostly enjoy every place we stop by.”

“Have you been onboard Persephone for a long time?”

“Not very long, I think,” Swift said as they stopped by a bookstore where all sorts of books, from old paper versions to electronic books to holo-novels, were being sold.

“Oh my God!” Semyon said.

“What? What is it?”

“Look at these!” he said as he pointed at some interesting guides and novels he almost immediately fell in love with.

“Like reading, huh?” Swift said smiling.

“I do. These … some of these I’ve wanted to read all my life.”

“Go ahead, then.”

Semyon’s smile disappeared almost instantly.

“I’m sorry. Did I say something inappropriate?”

“No, it’s just I have very few covenant credits and I can’t afford any of these ….”

“I see,” Swift said, “Maybe I could lend you some credits, you know? I do have …”

“No, it’s fine. I’ll buy a couple on our next stop at this launchhole.”

“Are you sure? I mean ….”

“I’m sure. Thanks anyway, Swift. C’mon, we still have a lot to see!”

Then they stopped by a liquor store where alcoholic delicacies from all over the galaxy were on display followed by a sports store and an entertainment outlet. Semyon was fascinated and wasn’t sure where to turn, and Swift followed, fascinated also at the boy’s fascination.

***************

Merrilyn was standing in front of a lingerie store drooling over a lovely red silk gown with a feather collar on it. She was not very clear on the why, but looking at custom made dresses and everything of the sort had always been one of her favorite things to do. Yes, of course, she had it clear she was more likely not going to be able to afford any of the things displayed before her eyes, but she still enjoyed looking at all the pieces.

When she was a little girl, she remembered, she’d had a Godfather who’d been very loving. Ebronn Dhöst. He was a moderately wealthy man and had become very close with her mother. She never really had it clear if her mother, a widow, was involved with the man or not at a different level, but she did remember the man being very kind to both of them.

Ebronn once gave her a wonderfully custom made dress. She must’ve been around six years old, when the man brought one of the most reputed dressmakers in Newland, and the woman had made the most beautiful dress she could have ever dreamed of. She still had the most beautiful memories of both the dress and of Ebronn, who passed away very shortly after that. Those were the most precious moments she had of her childhood, before her stepfather came into their lives.

She had moved to a different window, when her holo-brace beeped. She tapped the screen and a holo-image of Semyon showed.

“Hey, cutie!” Merrilyn said.

“Hey!” the holo-image replied, “Swift said he’s got some errands to run, mind if I join you again?”

“Course not! Oh, my! The hour has flown! I’ll meet you where we started, all right?”

“K. I’ll wait for you here. Semyon out.”

Semyon's holographic face disappeared and Merrilyn went back to the window, where a wonderful and sexy vaporous pink-and-black baby-doll rested on the perfect silhouette of a motion-manikin. ‘It would never look like that on me, though.’ She thought as she scrutinized the model, and moved along.

She decided not to look at any windows anymore, or she would leave Semyon waiting. After all, she had already seen everything she could’ve seen.

***************

When Athsari came into the garden, Arthur’s mouth opened wide. She looked astonishingly beautiful, her dark wavy black hair tied back in a ponytail. She was wearing tight pants, dark boots all the way to her knees, and a black tank top, which let her beautiful neck show, from which a moon pendant hung.

“Oh my,” he said, unable to take his eyes off of her, “you look so damn beautiful!”

She smiled at the compliment, and thought it was not very gentleman-like.

“Losing composure so soon?” she asked.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” he said slightly blushing, “but it’s true.”

“Thanks,” she said satisfied she hadn’t picked that ridiculous red dress she had thought of wearing, “You don’t look so bad yourself either. So, what is it we’ve planned for the night?”

Arthur offered her his arm and smiled. “I had thought of a walk in the garden under the stars,” he said, “unfortunately the stars are partially covered by the ring.”

“Well,” she said, “I guess it’ll have to do.”

“Come,” Arthur said, walking her towards a corner of the garden, where a tablecloth had been spread. There was a porcelain service on the cloth, some bread, cheese and wine. He’d also placed a vase with a flower.

They sat next to each other, and Arthur started pouring the wine into two beautiful crystal wineglasses. Athsari leaned on her right arm and took the glass with the other. Arthur picked up his own glass and smiled at her as they clinked their glasses.

“To a very beautiful woman,” he said smiling.

They both sipped and she automatically felt the tingle of the wine on her tongue. She found she couldn’t stop looking at the man, and she decided she felt absolutely attracted to him. But was that enough to get carried away? She was no teenager anymore, and she wasn’t sure she wanted to have another bed story, like the one she’d had with Rhar some years before.

“You look so beautiful when you’re pensive,” Arthur said and smiled.

She smiled back, but said nothing. She was not sure about this man and there he was, being a hopeless romantic. Now she really wanted to know whether it was an act, or did she?

“Look,” she said when she finally realized she had gathered the courage to speak, “I don’t really know where all of this is going, Arthur, but ….”

“But?” he asked.

“You see, I think I’m done with games, and ….”

Arthur smiled and interrupted her. “And you’ve decided to skip the relationship all the way to the breaking up. Is that so?

“Is that what it is?” Athsari asked, looking him in the eye, “the beginning of a relationship?”

Arthur cleared his throat before he spoke, and drank from his wineglass again.

“Is it?” she insisted.

“Listen,” he said, placing the glass on the tablecloth, “I don’t know what this is. I don’t even know where this is going. All I know is I do like you, have since the very first time I laid eyes on you. And you’re seriously spoiling it.”

That, she thought, had been a rather rude thing to say, and she thought she didn’t want to put up with such a moron. But then again, as his words sank in, she realized she couldn’t stop looking at him. She also realized what he’d said was true. She was indeed spoiling it by being a coward.

“I’m sorry,” she said, “I didn’t mean to be such a jerk. And you’re right, I’m spoiling it.”

Arthur smiled at her and then sipped from his glass again. He moved closer to her, and whispered in her ear, “I think we can forget about you spoiling it, and pick it up where we left it.”

Athsari slightly turned as she felt his hot breath on her ear, realizing how much she liked this man’s closeness. She turned her face slightly so as to look into his eyes.

“I think that would be nice.”

“I think,” he said, “it would be more than nice. I think it could be awesome, you and I.”

And then she did not want to waste any other minute, and pressed her lips against his. His breath was enticing, a mixture of wine and peppermint, and combined magnificently with the sweet scent that emanated from his body. He lay down and she ended up on top of him, kissing him. Arthur’s hands went to her waist almost immediately, and moved upwards, tracing the lines of her back, caressing her hair, going down again to land on her waist once again, from where they started working their way slightly down.

“Arthur?” she said.

“What?” he asked, “Going too fast?”

She looked him in the eye, few centimeters separating their faces. “I think we have to call this picnic off,” she said smiling and confident, “and go to bed.”

“Am I that boring,” he asked as he looked at his own reflection in her dark eyes, “you want to go to bed already?”

“I didn’t mean to our separate beds,” she said mischievously, and he kissed her again.

“Lead the way,” he said between kisses, “it is you who knows these awful corridors.”

***************

The man at the door of the locale looked at Swift Vince’s card thoroughly before he let him in. Once convinced it was genuine, he opened the door.

“Sorry to have kept you waiting, sir,” the man told him, “but you do understand The Mirage is a very reputable establishment and we need to make sure nothing will disturb our clientele ….”

Swift was about to say something, when a gorgeous looking woman appeared behind him. She was all dressed in black and her lovely looking wavy blonde mane flowed as she moved.

“Move aside, Patt,” she told the security man, “the gentleman is a VIP of the house.”

“My apologies, sir,” the man said.

“Sally.”

“Swift, my dear,” she said leaning down to kiss Vince on the cheek, “please come in.”

They walked inside the place, which smelled of alcohol and cigarette at the same time. There were some people dancing, some others drinking and most of them enjoying themselves.

Sally took Swift to a table far to the back of the place, where she would always have a drink with him.

“So, back at Launchhole U IV,” she said as she signaled a girl to approach.

“Yup,” he said.

The girl, dressed in a rather elaborate skin tight dress, came to their table.

“Madame?” she asked.

“Cherry, please bring us Nabian whiskey and two glasses.”

“Yes, Madame,” she said and disappeared.

“So, business trip again?”

“Yes. You know how this is … One day we’re here ….”

Sally smiled and lit up a cigarette.

“And,” she asked, “anything we can do for you, or will you be just drinking, as usual?”

Swift felt embarrassed at the question and simply smiled. Cherry came back and placed the tray with the whiskey and the glasses on the table.

“Thanks, darling,” Sally said.

“My pleasure, Madame,” she said and walked away, not without looking in Swift’s direction and smiling.

“Beautiful, isn’t she?” Sally said.

“Indeed.”

“Ian. Twenty six years old.”

Swift smiled and nodded and Sally had a drag of her cigarette.

“Why do you even come here, Swift?” she asked him.

“What?”

“You’ve never had any of my girls. You usually come, drink a couple of drinks and then go.”

“I guess I just like the company ….”

“Swift, darling, you’ve been a client at The Mirage for almost three years now. If you just wanted a drink, you’d be about any bar in the Launchhole.”

“I guess ….”

“It’s none of my business, I know. But, are you afraid of something? My girls are clean, you know? They undergo physicals every six months, as required by law. No one will make you ill in here if you ever chose to be with one of them.”

“Sally, I … um … really ….”

“Or are you not into girls?” she asked and had a new drag from her cigarette, “Because that being the case, I also have my boys, and they’re clean as well and best companionship you could buy ….”

Swift looked down and gulped the whiskey in one swallow.

“Swift, I don’t wanna push you into anything, but after all this time, I’d think you could trust me ….”

“I … um … I ….”

“I see. Turn around, please.”

Swift turned around and looked towards the bar, where five men were drinking and apparently having lots of fun.

“Which one of them would you like to have keep you company?” Sally asked.

“I … um … I don’t know, Sally. I … I think it might be a better idea if I just ….”

“Fine, let me choose for you. Cherry!” she shouted through the music.

The girl came to their table really quickly and looked at her employer.

“Madame?”

“Do me a favor, sweetheart. Please tell Barry to join us, would you be so kind?”

“Yes, Madame,” Cherry said and walked away, a look of disappointment on her face.

A couple of minutes later, the man approached the table.

“Madame?” he asked.

Swift turned around to see a red haired lad. He wasn’t handsome as a matter of fact, but he had deep green eyes. He wasn’t built, a tad chubby, perhaps, but he had a wonderful smile.

“Barry, darling,” she said patting the seat next to her, thus indicating the man to sit, “allow me to introduce you to Mister Vince.”

Barry extended his hand towards the short accountant, and Swift took it.

“Swift,” he said.

“Barry.”

 

“See, Barry, darling. Mister Vince is a very good friend of mine and I want him to have a wonderful time tonight, since he doesn’t visit very often. Would you take care of him for me?”

“It’ll be my pleasure, Madame,” Barry said and smiled.

Sally put out her cigarette, stood up and approached Swift as if she was going to kiss him. Instead, she whispered in his ear: “Try and relax, Swift, and have some fun. He’s on the house.”

And having said so, she brushed her lips against Swift’s cheek and went away.

Swift poured some more whiskey on his glass and offered Barry some, which he accepted.

“So, you’ve known the Madame for quite a while?” Barry asked.

“I have,” he said and smiled, “I can’t place your accent.”

“I’m Paradisian, sir.”

“Please, call me Swift.”

“Okay, Swift.”

An awkward silence landed on the table and Swift Vince drank from his glass again.

“Everything alright, Swift?” Barry asked smiling as he placed his hand on the accountant’s knee.

“Help me out here, Barry,” he said, “I’ve never done this before ….”

“Oh!” he said, “I’m sorry, I … I assumed ….”

“Oh, God! This is so embarrassing ….”

“No, it ain’t. Look,” Barry said trying to save the situation.

“Tell you what, I think I’ll just go and ….”

“No, no!” Barry said, “Let’s start it all over … I ….”

“No,” Swift said standing up, “this was all a mistake, I’m sorry, Barry. It’s not you, it’s me ….”

And having said so, he walked all the way to the door.

Kitt, I can't thank you enough for the hard work and interest you've placed in this project. I simply feel blessed! Comments? Reviews? Feel free to write a few lines!
"©2015 Roberto Zuñiga;All Rights Reserved."
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..