Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Icarus operative - 11. Eleven

Launchhole U IV

Covenant Year 329

 

TWENTY SIX DAYS BEFORE THE ARREST

 

Auriel was happy she was going to have a quiet evening to enjoy on her own. Even when she’d originally wanted to move from U IV as soon as possible, having an extra day was a very welcome distraction. It was also the perfect opportunity for the rest of the crew to enjoy themselves and relax for a little while.

What little free time she had, she liked spending reading. She was particularly fond of classic Utopian literature and she was currently reading ‘Count of Monte Cristo for the nth time. She loved the way the characters were written and enjoyed all the intrigue. What she loved the most about it, was Edmond Dantés. She found the author had done a great job building the character’s resolve and strength, though she was not particularly fond of vengeance herself.

So, after having taken a warm shower, she took ‘Count of Monte Cristo’ from her bookshelf and walked towards her armchair. As she opened the book, an old photograph fell out. In it, a very young Auriel Bristow stood next to a equally young Hadzaana Missdon, with the Geysers of the Tiger stripe of Encelaudus in the back. She couldn’t help but smile at the memory of that trip she’d taken with her lifetime friend.

She turned the photo around to re-read the message she had read time and again:

‘To my one true love, the only one I’ll always be faithful to. Hadz.’

That particular trip to Encelaudus had changed their friendship and strengthened their bond, for it was then Hadzaana had confessed to Auriel how deeply in love she was with her. The news had not come as a full shock, ‘cause Auriel had always suspected her friend’s sexual orientation was not the rule, but she’d never imagined the feelings Hadzaana had harbored for her over the years.

There and then she’d told Hadzaana she would always count on her as the best of friends, but she would never be able to reciprocate her feelings, for she did not share her sexual orientation. They never talked about it again, and Auriel didn’t know of Hadzaana ever dating someone, but deep inside she wished her longtime friend would eventually find a woman who could love her the way she deserved.

She placed the photo aside and she started comfortably reading in the quiet of her room. She was about to read one of her favorite passages, the part where Dantés finally manages to escape the prison in which he had been unfairly secluded. She sipped from her coffee, let her head rest against the comfortable back of her armchair, and let her mind transport her to Monte Cristo’s environment. She had barely read a couple of lines, when her door chime sounded.

“Come in,” she said.

Hadzaana Missdon’s athletic physique showed through her doorframe.

“Hadz,” she said.

“Hey, Auriel.”

“Everything okay?” she asked closing the novel once again.

“Yup!” Hadzaana said coming in and sitting on the lovely vermillion love seat, “Just wanted to drop by and see what you were doing.”

Auriel Bristow brought her book up showing it to her lifetime friend.

“Monte Cristo again?” Hadzaana said, “You’ve got to be kidding! Like, how many times have you read that novel already?”

“I don’t know … like, twenty, maybe?”

“You’re insane! Your attachment to that story is not healthy in the least.”

“Well, I don’t spend hours on end trying to climb that stupid wall you conditioned in the cargo area so you can pretend you’re climbing a steep mountain.”

“Okay, okay! I get it, Aur!” Hadzaana said bursting into laughter.

“Look what I found inside it!” Auriel said and showed her friend the photograph.

“Wow!” she said, “How old were we anyway?”

“Twenty four, twenty five or around.”

“Such lovely memories ….”

“Indeed. Hey … I’ve been meaning to ask you ….”

“To go on a trip to Encelaudus? No, thank you! Awful place, cold as hell.”

“Technically, hell is hot ….”

“Says who? We don’t know that for a fact.”

“Uhu ….”

“No, seriously, Hadz,” Bristow said, “I’ve been meaning to ask you … are you not planning on ever dating someone?”

Hadzaana put on her best poker face, looked at her friend and arched an eyebrow. She made the most serious of expressions, and Auriel Bristow felt uncomfortable at having brought the conversation to such a taboo place.

When Hadzaana saw Auriel’s troubled expression, she burst into laughter.

“What the ….”

“Auriel, how many people do we have on board I could date? It’s either you, Merrilyn or Athsari, and none of you bat for my team.”

“I know, it’s just ….”

“And it’s not like you’ve dated thousands of people for the past year or so.”

“Hadz ….”

“Why are we even talking about this, Auriel?” Hadzaana asked and she seemed a bit annoyed.

“I’m … I’m sorry, Hadz … I don’t know what’s going on in my head right now.”

“Oh, I can totally see that, ‘cause, you know? I ….”

The ICD in Auriel’s quarters bleeped, interrupting Hadzaana. Auriel stood up and walked towards the device, located on the wall and next to her bookshelf.

“Bristow here,” she said.

“Cap’n,” Jay Aodhagán’s voice came through the ICD, “We’ve received a message from Launchhole Control ….”

“Yes?”

“They said there was an unforeseen event and space traffic has been closed until further notice.”

Auriel Bristow looked at Hadzaana and sighed.

“Got it, Jay. Thanks. I’d like the announcement during Dinner this evening. Would you be so kind as to notify everyone I’d like to see them at 1900 hours?”

“Sure thing, Cap!” the engineer said, “Aodhagán out.”

Auriel went back to her armchair and looked at Hadzaana.

“Well,” she said, “it seems like our unplanned vacation is going to be extended a bit more.”

“Then, I’ll go climb that stupid wall before dinner, okay?” Hadzaana said smiling and thus letting Auriel know she considered their conversation a closed matter.

****************

The place was not really full, but there were a good six customers having fun. ‘If I ever lived again’, a Rivulan country ballad was playing in the background. ‘If I ever lived again,’ it said, ‘I would be with you again, even if you didn’t know me, even if you didn’t love me, even if I had to buy your love for me. If I ever lived again, I would break into your heart, I would even fall apart, even if I had to tear the sky for you.’

Sally was really surprised when, in the middle of a conversation with one of her girls, she saw Swift Vince walk into her establishment. She hadn’t expected him to come back after what had happened the previous night with Barry. She stood and walked towards the little man.

“Swift, darling!” she said leaning down to kiss him, her blonde mane cascading down her slim, white neck.

“Heh, Sally!” he said.

“Please, come join me for a drink. I really must apologize for last night, my darling,” she said smiling sympathetically, “I think I pushed you a little bit too far and ….”

“Sally,” he said smiling too, “there’s no need to apologize, really. I’m not sure about that drink, though ….”

“How so?” she asked fairly surprised.

“Well, I was planning on apologizing to Barry for my stupid behavior last night, and spend some time with him. If it’s okay with you that is.”

Sally’s discreet smile turned into a wide and honest one. She turned to face the bar and she called.

“Barry, honey!”

The redhead turned and looked at his employer in the company of Swift Vince. He smiled and started walking towards them. He was wearing tight washed jeans, a blue long sleeve shirt unbuttoned into a cleavage which let his chest show slightly.

“Madame,” he said and turned to face the Persephone’s accountant, “Swift.”

“Barry, darling,” she said, “Swift wants to talk to you about some things.”

“It would be my pleasure, Madame,” he said.

“Well, then, make yourself at home, Swift. Can I send you something to drink? Your favorite whiskey, perhaps?”

“I … umh… What do you like to drink, Barry?” he asked turning in the man’s direction.

“Oh!” Barry said a bit surprised, “I’m fine with whatever you want to drink, Swift.”

“He loves Costa Azul Margaritas,” Sally told Swift winking at him, “he has this thing for tequila ….”

“Umh … then, two of those, I guess?”

“So,” Swift said.

“This table?” Barry asked.

There was an awkward tension between them. Swift said nothing, but nodded. They both sat down and Swift turned to look at the bar to see if the drinks were coming. He couldn’t fool anyone, it had been a long time since he’d been intimate with someone, and he had never before paid for sex in his life. He was not very sure where to start or what to say, but he was trusting Barry would be experienced enough to handle things for both of them.

“I really must apologize to you,” the redhead said, “last night I ….”

“No, no, no.” Swift interrupted him, “I’m the one who should be apologizing. I was stupid and disrespectful to you, and I ….”

“Got a deal for you. What say you if we pretend it never happened and start over?”

“That sounds like a good deal to me,” Swift said, unable to hide his smile and the blush in his cheeks.

Cherry, the girl from the previous night, came to their table holding their drinks on a tray. She placed the drinks on the table, announced them and walked away.

“So,” Barry said, “let’s toast to not apologizing.”

“Agreed.”

They clinked their glasses and had a gulp from their respective drinks.

“Nice!” Swift said after having tried it.

Barry simply smiled and moved a bit closer to Swift on the cushioned love seat. Barry’s proximity made Swift senses alert, and he found the guy smelled of sandalwood and musk. Barry rested one of his arms over the seat’s back, his hand landing on Swift’s naked left shoulder. He moved his fingers around, softly caressing the little man’s skin.

“That feels good,” he said.

“I thought so,” Barry said and smiled.

“You smell real good ….”

“You have very beautiful arms, Swift.”

“Thanks.”

“So,” Barry carried on still caressing Swift’s shoulder, “You around on business?”

“Yeah, basically, yeah.”

“Let me guess … Engineer?”

“Totally lost!” Swift replied, “Accountant!”

“Oh my God! Really? My younger sister is an accountant. She works in public office in Vicserios!”

“Awesome!” Swift replied and smiled.

“And who do you do accounting for?” Barry asked before he sipped from his Margarita.

“I’m on board a trade ship called Persephone. Been working for Captain Bristow for some time now. Anyway, let’s not talk about work.”

“Deal!” Barry said.

“See, uhm ….”

“Yes?”

“Is there a chance, we could, you know, like ….”

“Go somewhere more private?” Barry asked smiling.

“Am I that obvious?” Swift asked feeling the blush creeping up his cheeks.

“No. Just new to it. Come, I’ll take you to my sanctuary.”

Barry stood up from the love seat and Swift jumped from it. Barry placed his hand over Swift’s shaved head and smiled at him. Swift smiled back and both started walking.

“Leaving so soon?” Sally asked approaching the couple.

“I’m taking Swift to my sanctuary, Madame.”

“Do you want me to send your Margaritas?”

“I think that’d be great, Sally,” Swift said smiling at the woman.

Barry took Swift through a door at the back of the room. On the other side, the noises of the place were mute. They came into a very nice circular hall almost devoid of furniture save for a round crystal coffee table and a one piece semicircular couch. Behind the couch, there were several doors around, and Barry took him to the last door on the right.

Barry’s sanctuary was a delicate room. Most of it was dressed in red, with a round bed in the middle of the room. The bedspreads and pillows were all different shades of red, and there was a vaporous red fabric hanging from the ceiling around the bed. There was also a small table with two chairs, a small chest of drawers and a loveseat arranged in the corner around a TV set and home theater.

“Neat!” Swift exclaimed.

“You like it?” Barry asked spreading the fabric around the bed open.

“I do,” he said, “It’s cozy.”

“I’m glad you approve,” he said winking at his costumer.

He sat down on the bed leaning over the pillows and patted the spot next to him, gesturing Swift to jump into the bed next to him.

“Come here, gorgeous!” he said and smiled.

Swift jumped on the bed and leaned against the pillows next to the Megobari. Barry placed his hand on Swift’s chest and smiled. The Persephone’s accountant started feeling agitated, his breath showing it a bit. It was probably the fact he was slightly intoxicated, but it could’ve well been Barry’s intoxicating presence and scent.

“You alright, Swift?” he asked.

“Nervous, I guess ….”

“See, in my sanctuary, you don’t have to be. The purpose of your being here is for you to be comfortable, to relax, to let go of everything that chains you. When you walk into a Megobari’s sanctuary, you walk into a separate world of complicity and love. And you, Swift Vince, have been welcomed into my sanctuary.”

Barry’s hand went inside Swift’s shirt and the little man shivered as he sighed.

“You are so very nervous, Swift.”

“I know … I’m sorry ….”

“Don’t be. It’s cute, you know? So nervous and so very handsome.”

“I’m not ….”

“Shhhh ….” Barry said and then kissed him.

Swift felt his heart jump within his chest cavity. He couldn’t believe how delicious Barry’s breath was, even when he’d had the Margarita. His hands were soft as velvet and his touch made him shudder. Only once in his life had he been sexually with someone, and it had been a matter of chance. After that one time, Swift Vince had opted for hiding from the world.

It was not like he was afraid of the world anymore, but growing up being called names and being disrespected and mocked, had most definitely had a negative impact on the way he interacted with the world. He was not antisocial, but he had become rather selective, choosing very carefully whom he opened up to.

Now, being close to Barry, perceiving his scent, feeling his touch, made him happy he’d decided to come back to Sally’s establishment after he had stormed out of the place the previous night.

Barry’s hands were quick and agile, and before he noticed, he was lying shirtless on Barry’s bed, and his pants had been unbuttoned. He couldn’t resist, he couldn’t fight Barry. Every minute he felt his heart pumping faster, and when Barry placed his soft hand over Swift’s crotch, the young man had to stop him for a while.

“Swift?” the red haired Megobari asked, “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” he said and smiled, “I couldn’t be better ….”

“I’m glad to hear that. Come here, handsome!”

Swift turned and jumped over Barry mischievously and kissed him.

“I’m here, Barry!” he said, “and I ain’t going anywhere!”

****************

Captain Bristow, covered only by a red silk gown, came out of her quarters when she heard all the commotion taking place outside her door, on the main corridor to the crew’s living area. When she came out, she wasn’t at all surprised to see that Rharthza was part of the fuss, all drunk and on his way to his quarters.

What did suprise her, and big time, was to see Jay was just as drunk and walking beside the doctor. Rharthza’s arm was tight around Jay’s waist and Jay’s around the doctor’s neck as they zig-zagged through the corridor drunkenly singing something barely discernible, but which unmistakably had a ring of Nabïan Pop, probably some ballad from a decade or so ago.

When Melaree saw Bristow he smiled a blurry smile and spoke in his drunken voice. “Heeeey, Aur, s’rry for thu nois’, we w’re jus’ partyin’ a bit.”

When Jay realized Bristow was standing in front of them, he tried to straighten his body, but realized he wasn’t able to hold himself together, thus looking as clumsy as ever.

“Capn’, sir,” was all he managed to say through a drunken haze.

Auriel looked at both of them and frowned. She did not like seeing Jay as drunk as Rharthza. With Rhar there was no issue, she was used to his partying every time they touched port. But Jay … she had never seen Jay ingest any alcoholic beverage in the time he’d been on board the Persephone.

The look of disapproval on her face made Rharthza turn serious almost immediately. “Sorry, Capn’, t’wassss all my fault. I’ll sssee Jay to ‘s quart’rs.”

“You do that,” the captain said, “Persephone might be scheduled for departure and Jay has to sober-up by then.”

“Aye, aye, Aur,” Rhar said and kept walking, holding Jay by the waist.

Auriel gave them one last look and went back into her quarters. She made a mental note to talk to Jay as soon as the Persephone had cleared the Launchhole. She certainly didn’t need her Engineer to be getting drunk every time they touched port; especially because his job in the engine room was a critical one, probably much more important than any other key position within the crew.

Rharthza felt uncomfortable at having been caught by the captain as he and Jay were coming back from their little party in the local bar; especially, because he was sure Auriel would blame him for Jay’s getting drunk.

‘What the hell!’ he thought, ‘both Jay an’ me are adults and we can do whatever we want. We don’t need anyone’s permission to have some fun. The Capn’ included.’

He stopped right in front of Jay’s quarters, and Jay stopped as well, leaning with his back to the wall. Rharthza smiled widely that crooked smile of his at the engineer, who immediately looked down. The doctor could not really know whether Jay had blushed, for his face was completely reddened by the alcohol he’d ingested at the bar.

“Sssso ….” he said placing his arm on the wall over Jay’s head, thus positioning himself face to face with him.

“Ssssso ….” answered Jay crossing his arms over his chest.

“I assssume the prty’s over now.”

“Yeah,” Jay said, still looking at his own feet, “too bad, ‘coz I had

a great time tonight.”

“So did I,” the doctor answered, “I never imagined you could be so fun as a party companion. Especially ‘coz I’d never seen you sing or drink, or anything at all. But, y’re all right, you are.”

“Can say the same about you,” Jay answered, his voice still heavily affected by the amount of alcohol he had consumed that night, “You’re a great party companion yourself. I had a great evening.”

The doctor touched Jay’s face with his right hand and made him look up, looking directly into his eyes. They stared at each other for an instant, but to Jay, it seemed like an eternity as he contemplated the doctor’s beautiful set of eyes.

“You are so beautiful, lad ….” said Rharthza, letting his voice trail off.

And yes, right then he thought Jay was damned beautiful, and Rharthza asked himself why he hadn’t paid any attention whatsoever to the engineer all those years since he had come on board the Persephone.

Jay felt his pulse accelerate, and he imagined that was exactly what the warp engine should feel every time the Persephone jumped into warp. In all the time they’d been crewmates, Jay Aodhagán had never imagined he would be face to face with the doctor like he was right now, so close, intimately close, and wishing to be even closer. The doctor’s hand on his face felt hot, and he was looking straight into his eyes. Jay felt his heart pounding inside his chest with such ferocity he feared it might just jump from his chest. And the more the doctor looked at him, the more he also felt something else that threatened to jump out from his tight pants.

The distance between their faces became smaller, and Jay could now feel Rharthza’s alcoholic breath all over his nose and mouth. He couldn’t really think. It was probably the alcohol, or his nervousness, or both; but the only thing he knew, was he wanted the doctor to come closer, he didn’t want that moment to come to an end. As the doctor’s lips pressed against his own, Jay became aware of Rharthza’s arms wrapping him as he rested against the wall. He couldn’t help himself now, he felt the spell of being in Rharthza’s arms, his mouth against his own, the doctor’s tongue pushing directly inside his, searching, exploring.

Jay had never kissed anyone in his life, and this new sensation felt like nothing he’d ever felt before, as if he were floating among little pieces of heaven. The warmth of the doctor’s mouth on his own felt so good, so damned good he had to wrap his arms tightly around Rharthza’s waist, to make sure he wouldn’t let go of that kiss. Rharthza’s touch, his kiss, his smell, the swelling under his pants … all put together was driving Jay crazy. And he didn’t want it to end.

“Maybe, we should ….” Rhar said lowering his hand to a point where he was touching Jay’s butt. That was enough for the engineer to back a little and look at the doctor in the eye as he gasped for breath.

“No,” Jay said as he looked at Rharthza, “Think we should call it a night ….”

Rharthza looked at Jay intently as he tried to revive the heat of the moment, but the spark had passed and Jay had become as alert as a cat.

“Don’t ya think ….?”

“No,” Jay said once again interrupting Rharthza’s question, “I think it’s been enough emotions for a day … Think we should probably go to sleep. I do have to sober up.”

Rhar tried to push the issue, but Jay did not want to talk about it, he was not going to go to bed with the doctor, no matter how much he was wishing to be in his arms. If he did, he would become another Athsari, another Semyon, another bed story in Rharthza’s life. And he was not willing to be one more bed anecdote for the doctor to remember as he grew old.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “didn’t mean to be rude … It’s just ….”

“It’s fine, lad,” Rhar said, but Jay could read in his tone he was upset, “Guess I’ll be seeing you tomorrow.”

And having said so, the doctor started walking on the way to his own quarters. Jay was pretty sure he’d fucked up, but he did not want to be another one night stand in a long list of those for Rharthza, so he talked to the man from his quarter’s doorframe.

“I did have a great time!” he said.

Without stopping, and without even turning to face the engineer, Rharthza Melaree answered, “Me too, lad. G’night!

****************

Semyon was coming from his room, when he ran into Merrilyn Stewart. She was cheerful, and he couldn’t help but notice her cheeks had a funny blush, one he’d never seen in her face before.

“Hi there, Semyon!” she said merrily as she approached him, “Going to your quarters already?”

Semyon perceived the alcohol on her breath almost immediately, though he also noticed she was not really drunk, probably, just merry. And he smiled as he thought how that was a funny idea: Merri was Merry.

“Yup!” he said.

“So,” she said, taking Semyon’s right arm, “since I’m also going to mine, what d’you say if you play the gentlemen and walk me all the way to my quarters?”

“That’d be nice,” Semyon said.

They both started through the corridor, Merrilyn talking about this and that; mainly the things she’d seen in the stores that afternoon. Semyon found her company amusing, though sometimes he wished she didn’t speak that much and so fast, especially when he was so tired. He had difficulty following her somehow mismatched arguments.

“So,” he said interrupting her blabber, “I gather you had a good time today.”

“Oh it was lovely!” she said, “after the stores I had a couple of drinks with Doctor Melaree and Jay … it was so much fun! I never knew they could both be so fun to be with. There was this karaoke thing and we all sang some very old songs … and the service was so cool at the bar!”

“Guess so.”

“No, you should try it at least once. It’s not the same if you’re told, you see? You have to live it for yourself.”

“O.K. I’ll make sure to go with you next time, so I won’t miss the fun.”

“That a promise?” she said playfully and rapidly batting her long and curved red lashes.

“Yea,” Semyon said smiling at her, “t’s a promise.”

Merrilyn smiled and dragged him by the arm so they could turn right and come to the corridor of the living area on deck four. They had barely turned around the corner, when they froze in their tracks. Semyon felt surprised at what he saw, but Merrilyn … well, it was obvious she had never expected to see what they had just witnessed, for the shock in her face even made the blush, along with the rest of her color, drain from her face.

Nothing in this world or another could have prepared Merrilyn for the image of the doctor and Jay kissing each other in which seemed a rather passionate embrace. She felt as if she had emptied a bucket of cold water over her head, and as if the floor beneath her was crumbling to pieces. She wanted to say something, but she realized her throat had closed, as if the words had choked inside of her. She was so stupid! How could she have not noticed the signals when they had been in front of her all along? She felt so naive, so ridiculously naive. All she could do was whimper, turn around and run.

Semyon looked at her and then back to the couple. He did not feel as shocked as Merrilyn; if anything, he realized he felt disappointed, maybe even a little bit sad. But after having shared some time on board the Persephone, he had found out the kind of man Rharthza was when it came to relationships. Now that he thought about it, it was probably better that way.

Truth was he had fantasized about having a relationship with Rharthza once he’d joined the crew. But a few days had been enough for him to realize he had only been a one night stand, another name in a very long list of sexual companions.

But Semyon was not going to suffer at all. It was an undeniable fact that Rharthza had been great in bed, but that had been it. Now,, he found he only felt sorry for Jay. Because he was very sure Jay was the nicest of men and Rharthza … well, the doctor obviously wasn’t, and had already shown his true colors.

He turned around and went after Merrilyn. If he was right, she had probably gone back to her kitchen. After all, the kitchen was where she spent most of her time on board, doing what she liked the most; the only place in which, as she had stated herself on several occasions, she felt safe from any of the plausible dangers of the universe.

As he had imagined, Merrilyn was in the kitchen, sitting behind the counter, her expression unreadable.

“Hey ….” he said.

“Hey ….” she answered as she wiped the tears away from her face.

“Can I join you?”

“Sure,” she said standing up from the stool in which she had been sitting, “Can I offer you some coffee? Tea? Something?”

“No, thanks,” he said looking at her in the eye, “probably I should offer ya some coffee or tea or sometin.”

“It’s okay,” she said, “really.”

“Come, let’s sit over here,” he said pointing at one of the small tables of the mess hall.

Merrilyn walked around the counter and came to join Semyon at the table. She looked at him and lowered her sight.

“Hey,” he said, “it’ll pass … in time, y’know?”

“I know,” she said still looking at the table, “I just feel so … stupid, you know? I honestly don’t know how I could’ve held a crush this long without really knowing the first thing about the man I have a crush on … It’s just … stupid … you know?”

“No, I don’t think it’s stupid,” he said and smiled, “I think it’s absolutely romantic.”

“Well, I bet there’s nothing romantic about my sad face and my swollen eyes right now.”

At that they both burst into laughter.

When the outburst had passed, Semyon cleared his throat and spoke.

“Seriously, I think that’s very romantic. It talks a lot about the kind o’ person you are.”

“A stupid one?”

“No, a very passionate and tender one,” he let that sink in and then continued, “Y’know wha’s funny? I can pretty much empathize with you right now.”

“How so?” she asked as half a smile started to show in her face.

“Well … y’do know about my thing with the Doctor, don’t you?”

“Oh! That! Yeah!”

“I wouldn’t go as far as to compare it with what you are feeling right now, but, to some extent, bein’ there and seein’ them kissin’ … well, it also felt really awkward for me. I mean, not like I was in love or anything, but, y’know? I thought me and Rharthza had a chance at somethin’ nice, stable. Now I know we don’t.”

“You know what I don’t get?”

“Wha’s that?”

“How it is that such a nice guy the likes of Jay, who’s proven to be a loyal friend, a kind man, a very good person overall, could actually be at something with Rharthza.”

“I’m a good person too, y’know?”

“Oh!” Merrilyn added realizing she had unintentionally offended Semyon, “Don’t misunderstand me! The thing is you just didn’t know Rhar. Jay, on the other hand, has been on board long enough to know the doctor hits on every single thing that moves and has a hole. Pardon my French. Why would he risk getting involved with him?”

“Who knows?” Semyon said tilting his head to the left, “But y’know wha’s funnier?”

“What?”

“That even in this state you’re worried about Jay. As I said, totally romantic.”

“He’s a good friend.”

“I know.”

They remained in the mess hall in quiet contemplation, both trying to digest what they had just seen. The good thing was that sharing the whole thing, Merrilyn didn’t feel as bad as she had when they’d first seen the couple kissing.

‘Now’, she thought, ‘All I’ll have to do is get used to the idea of seeing my crush come and go with Rharthza Melaree. Frigsk! In all the frigskin’ universe it had to be Melaree!!!!’

p>I'd first like to Thank Kitt for her amazing work as an Editor. I do have to say her style makes me have lots of fun when I read the corrections. Kitt you're AWESOME. Thanks a lot for all those loyal readers of this story, and thank you for every like and review!
"©2015 Roberto Zuñiga;All Rights Reserved."
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very much a personality chapter and I thought this was your best portrayal of relationships so far.
I must admit that in the great battle between characters and plot I tend to favor the plotline.
A very polished chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Good lord, I hope that Melaree grows up and does right by Jay. Although I have a feeling Jay will be able to handle the doctor :-) Can't wait for the next chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/20/2016 11:54 AM, Palantir said:

Very much a personality chapter and I thought this was your best portrayal of relationships so far.

I must admit that in the great battle between characters and plot I tend to favor the plotline.

A very polished chapter.

Thanks a lot Palantir! My husband sees to favor plotline over characters as well :) I'm glad you're still there!

Link to comment
On 02/21/2016 01:03 AM, bundu_st said:

Good lord, I hope that Melaree grows up and does right by Jay. Although I have a feeling Jay will be able to handle the doctor :-) Can't wait for the next chapter.

Thanks a lot Bundu! Jay Aodhagán is one of my most cherished characters and Melaree does need to grow up LOL. Thanks for your kind words!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..