Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Flight of freedom - 4. Chapter 4

Reunions all round...

Emmett

My fingers tingled and my bones ached. What had happened to me? Opening my eyes I saw my mum sitting next to my bed with her head resting on her arm. Laying there for a moment I listened to my mum’s slow, steady heartbeat and my own heartbeat, which was slightly faster.

I flexed my fingers and toes trying to dislodge the feeling of numbness and the slow thrum of the ache. As I was stretching I felt a hand reach for my own. Looking around, I saw my mum’s eyes staring into mine.

“Hey baby, you feeling okay?” The corners of her mouth began to pull up into a small smile.

“Ugh… what happened? My whole body hurts like a bitch.”

Tsking at my swearing she replied, “You texted me yesterday saying you didn’t feel very well. I tried to call you but you never answered.” Tears started to well up in her eyes and a small sniffle escaped. “Oh Emmett, I thought the worst when I came looking for you. I couldn’t know how bad things were when I found you.”

“Why aren’t I in a hospital then? Surely I should have gone?” Her face quickly paled as I mentioned the hospital. Why hadn’t she taken me there?

“W- well, after I got you home you seemed to come around, a- and your temperature was slightly high, but I thought it was nothing I c- couldn’t handle.” That’s interesting, I thought. And also slightly worrying.

I groaned, feeling frustrated that I was still in pain.

“Emmett? Is it happening? Can you feel it?” I saw worry in her green eyes and, perhaps, some understanding. I think she knew about the wings.

I hadn’t thought of the wings all week and I haven’t seen them since the first day of college. Panicking at the thought of my wings suddenly appearing in front of my mum I began to squirm on my bed.

“Emmett! Sweetheart. You must listen to me. You are going through something weird and unexplained. I'm so sorry darling but I have to go and talk to someone who might be able to help us deal with this.” And with that she left in a hurry. I could hardly move now; the ache in my bones had evolved into something more and as I tried to flex my hand I felt a sharp snap in my finger, and as I looked down I noticed the top half of my finger jutting out awkwardly. I laid my head back on the pillow and began thinking of things to calm me down. Surely the pain wouldn’t be so bad if I was calm?

As I was laying there I felt an odd tingling in the back of my head. It felt comforting so I closed my eyes and began to relax my body. Some time later I felt the tingle again. This time it seemed to want to expand so I imagined it spreading from the back of my head and flowing into my mind.

Wrapped in this feeling, I felt so safe and warm, as if nothing could get me. The last thing I remember was a voice purring, “Calm, sweet. Just stay with me, I've got you.”

Emmett’s Mother

Leaving Emmett at a time like this was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do since Ferran’s death. And since Ferran was no longer here I could only think to go to the Elder for advice; she would know how to deal with things like the change.

I peeked into Emmett’s room one last time before I left and I saw my son in a peaceful state. His eyes were shut and his breathing was slow and steady. His breathing didn’t change, not even as a rib cracked and then swiftly repaired itself… Oh, my sweet boy.

I locked the front door and started walking towards the car. I detected a faint scent. Even though I may not have all of my avian senses anymore I could still pick things up. This scent was familiar; I realized that I had smelled it when I was searching for Emmett yesterday… who was this person??

When I had crossed the short distance to the car I turned around and surveyed the woods. Closing my eyes, I took in a deep breath and whispered, “I know you have been here before. I know you’ve been near my son, but believe me when I say this: I will kill you if you hurt him.”

I sighed as I got into the car. I needed to hurry. Emmett needed me here.

The drive into town was easy today, which was surprising because it was a market day it was usually busy and loud. Driving right through town I came to the street that Emmett’s college was on. Outside was calm and only a few students were left hanging around. I stopped at the traffic light and let down my window to get some fresh air. I heard some voices drift over from the college’s parking lot.

“Michael darlin’, will you shut your mouth please?”

“Mum, please, not in front of all the other students!”

“Hahaha!! Come on bro, we all know you can’t resist all these beautiful ladies!”

I looked over at the family while I waited for the lights to change. They looked so happy, all except one. In the backseat sat a boy. He was looking right at me – no, he was looking right through me. His eyes flashed gold… he was a shifter!

Another shifter! Here? I was in such a hurry to get away that I stalled the car. Damn it! This was so embarrassing! I looked up again and I saw three of them looking towards me. The boys’ mum was watching me intently while the boy in the car sat with his eyes shut and his face pulled up into a grimace.

The mother quickly turned to deal with him. And at that point, a car behind me honked for me to get going…

After driving for another ten minutes I finally reached my destination: the Elder’s house.

I sat in the parked car a few moments while I gathered my courage. I had not seen the Elder for years. I couldn’t. Not since Ferran. Getting out of the car I took in the house in front of me. Nothing much had changed; the trees and bushes out front were well tended. Everything looked normal and sweet that it reminded me of a fairy-tale house; the little old lady that no one saw kept a beautiful house but a dark secret sort of thing.

I rapped on the front door rapidly. I wanted this to be over quickly so I could get back to Emmett and care for him like I was supposed to be doing. When the door opened I was surprised to come face-to-face with the Elder herself. Surely she would have someone here like a butler or maid to open the door so she could sit in a dark corner and whisper things to no one in particular?

Looking down at the Elder I could sense her power. She very much resembled the snowy owl that she turned into. She was just a bit shorter than I remembered with long wavy white hair. Her face was wrinkled but in such a way that they gave her the look of someone who has spent the majority of her life laughing.

She stood studying me for several moments and I nearly jumped when she starting speaking.

“Ah, my chick, you have finally returned to me.” Her eyes crinkled around the edges as I jumped.

“Yes, Mother Harlan, I've come to seek your council on certain matters…”

“Well come on in then dear, we have a lot to discuss.”

Walking inside her house was something a person would never forget. Incense sticks were dotted around the hallway, emitting delicious scents of lavender and vanilla everywhere. There were no pictures on the walls; everything was clean and sombre. I shivered at the thought of living the life of an Elder; Elders were men or women that never found mates, or even human lovers. They spent their time alone, mastering their Primal forms. I almost felt sorry for them.

We walked towards the living room but she suddenly stopped me.

“Hold on a sec chick, some people need to leave first.” As she walked into the living room I heard her mutter, “Now listen up, our long lost sister has returned so we need some space. Be gone. Yes all of you, except you my dear, would you like to see her again? Hmmmmm?? Well yes stay, but stay over there, don’t scare her away, yes, yes, I know, I know!”

Hearing her talk this way I considered backing out of the house. Surely this woman was now mad. I've known about her for years but I didn’t know she had gone crazy. As I turned to leave I felt a cold touch on my hand. Looking back I expected to see Mother Harlan, but there was nothing there.

A voice carried through the door. “You can come in now, Rachel dear.” Walking through the living room door I was instantly hit by an intense smell of earth and bark. Looking around I saw neither. In the middle of the room in front of a small, lit fireplace sat Mother Harlan. As if she sensed my gaze she spoke. “Come, come dearie, we don’t have all day. I get the feeling like you want to be elsewhere?”

As I took the seat opposite her, she reached over and grabbed my hand. Looking into her blue eyes I saw nothing but love and relief. Feeling myself tearing up I pulled my hand away. I needed to get straight down to business.

“Moth-” She stopped me dead in my tracks; in her hand was a picture of me from the day I left. I was holding Ferran’s hand; the picture was faded around the edges, yet I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

She spoke so softly I almost missed it. “I've kept this all these years, hoping you would return to me some day. I've missed you, sweetheart.” A tear fell down my face as the pain in her voice registered in my heart.

We sat there in silence listening to the slow crackling of the fire. Raising my head, I looked into her eyes and said, “My son is going through the change. I've not changed for fourteen years now. He will need help.” I almost laughed at the shocked expression on her face. Almost.

Rubbing her jaw slightly, she replied, “A son, eh? I never did put you down as the parental sort.”

Throwing my hands up in frustration I cried, “That’s why I need your help! I can’t do it without Ferran and he isn’t exactly here, is he?!?”

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, now, now, Rachel. That’s no way to speak of the departed, is it? Ferran never left you, darling. W-“

“But he did leave, Mother Harlan, he gave up his life so I could get Emmett far away!”

“Now listen here Rachel, your HUSBAND and MATE gave up his LIFE for YOU. Do you know how hard that must have been for him? To never see his son develop into a perfect young shifter?” Looking up at her face I saw anger and disappointment. I was being so selfish.

She carried on after a moment had passed.

“Ferran left a letter for his son. It doesn’t have a name on it. He said that the boy will come for it one day and that I was to give it to him when he had reached the age of the change, which is now I believe?” I nodded.

“Good. You will bring the boy to me when the change is complete. Then and only then, will he receive the letter that was meant for his eyes.”

“B- but Mother Harlan, I can’t sit with him while he goes through the change, I can’t give him the comfort he needs!”

Sighing softly she said, “It was your choice to stop changing forms. You neglected your avian side so you could look after your son. I will find someone to train the boy to use his wings.”

I was so shocked. “You can- you can do that? Find someone to train him?”

“Yes, I will find someone for you. Don’t worry about it. I want to help you, sweetheart.”

“Thank you Mother Harlan, thank you!” As I stood up to leave a smile spread across her face.

“Rachel, dear?” Had I forgotten something? Will I need to pay her?

“Yes, Mother Harlan?”

“Your son’s name is Emmett, right?”

“Yes… why? What’s the matter?”

Chuckling slightly, she set down her small cup of tea. She had a cup of tea? Where did that come from?

“I know exactly who can train your son. His mate’s father.”

Mate?! Emmett’s mate? Surely that’s not possible. She must be on about a friend’s father?

My shocked expression must have said it all because she slowly folded her hands across her lap and clucked her tongue.

“I take it that you didn’t know about your son finding his mate?” I sat back down in the chair.

“If it is any consolation Rachel, young Emmett doesn’t know of his mate yet.” I slid my eyes up to her face. This must be a lie. Emmett would have told me if anything like this has happened, surely?

“Rachel, a few days ago a mother and her son came to visit me. They were new to the area. They didn’t think it was possible, seeing as your boy hadn’t had his first change yet, but it’s true; the young man has indeed mated with your son. They haven’t completed the mating yet and they haven’t seen each other for a few days. This young man, Jason or something, has decided to stay away until Emmett has completed his change.”

So, Emmett now had a mate? I should be happy for him. I was happy for him. Wasn’t I?

Realising that I had been away from Emmett for too long, I quickly rose and began to make my way to the door. I needed to get home to check on Emmett. And knowing that she could hear me, I whispered my goodbye and I closed the front door behind me.

Jayden

Seeing that woman in the car when we were dropping off the twins sent shivers through my spine. I knew her from somewhere. I paced around my room and finally decided to sit on my bed. Running my hands through my hair, I let out a shaky breath. I could feel Emmett’s pain; I could feel his worry.

At least the pain and worry wasn’t as bad as it was this morning.

I had woken up and had thought my head was on fire. I had walked downstairs and sat at the kitchen table. My mum had been there making breakfast as usual. I had let my eyes drift shut.

I felt something in my mind; when I tried to focus on it, I had visualised a small ball, no bigger than a marble. It was bright red with random splotches of white. I tried reaching out to it with my mind. The moment I touched it I had felt so much pain. The bones in my hands and chest had felt like they were being broken and then suddenly healing themselves. This reminded me of the change.

I gasped at the thought that I was feeling Emmett’s pain. I opened my eyes and found my dad standing in front of me. I hadn’t even heard him come in. His mouth was open and he was saying something to me but I couldn’t understand him. I closed my eyes again and tried to focus on his voice.

Instead I had suddenly heard a small sigh – like a ghostly whisper. It was as if the person were right next to my ear, but also seemed to come from far away. It had been one of the weirdest experiences of my life.

I opened my eyes again and saw my mum’s worried face. She was right in front of me, her eyebrows furrowing as she inspected my face. My dad was nowhere to be seen.

“Jayden?” I focused on my name and looked back at my mum. Her hand reached up and gently touched my face. I flinched a little at her touch. Allowing my parents to touch me was a new thing that was going to take some time to get used to. I had distanced myself from them while I was going through my change. Back then I had wanted to learn about my new avian side by myself.

“Hmmmmm?” Her frown deepened at my lack of a reply. “Is it that boy? Emmett?” She brought her hand away and took a step back. She then reached her hand out to my dad, who seemed to have reappeared.

“I- I think so. I mean it’s- it’s hard to explain. It feels like it’s him. It’s like he was in my mind. L- like a ball of red pain a-and white with fear or something…” My mind reeled as I tried to explain myself to my parents. This was so hard!

My dad chuckled slightly. Why was he laughing?

“This isn’t funny, Dad!” I was beyond fuming. My head hurt like a bitch and I could feel that Emmett was hurting also as he went through the change. This was no laughing matter.

Dad’s face gradually took on a serious expression and his eyes flashed shifter gold as he registered my anger.

“Sorry son, it isn’t what you think, honestly.” He reached forward and grabbed my arm. His touch was soft and only a little uncomfortable.

“You two truly are mated; you have a mental link with each other. This is rare but not unheard of. You can feel each other. You are feeling his pain. You could either help him or you could try and block it out…”

I wanted to help him. Even if I couldn’t be there with him, helping him mentally would be the next best thing I could do. I smiled slightly. This wasn’t going to be fun but I had to try and shield Emmett from his pain. I had to try something.

“Dad, could I shield Emmett from his pain, even partially?” Something was better than nothing.

He stood there and thought about it for a few moments. Clearing his throat he said, “I can’t see why not, but be careful. You have completed the change. He hasn’t. You don’t want to accelerate his change and put him in more pain.”

I felt the blood draining from my face at the thought of hurting Emmett. Thinking about causing Emmett pain had been one of the worst thoughts that had ever crossed my mind.

“I- I don’t wanna hurt him… I just want him safe and here with me, where he belongs.”

My mum and dad both smiled at me. They seemed happy with how I was changing now that I found my mate.

Returning to the present, I lifted my head up from my pillow and realised that nearly an hour had passed since we dropped the twins off. I rolled off the bed and began a slow walk towards the bathroom.

Before getting there, I heard a noise coming from the bathroom. I began to let the change through; my fingernails slowly elongating into talons and my nose could detect more scents. I yanked back the door and I nearly had a heart attack over what I saw. There, sitting on the edge of the bathtub, sat a boy with shoulder-length black hair. He smelt and looked familiar. I tried to recall his name. Before I could speak he jumped up and grabbed me by the shoulders.

Time seemed to have stopped as he slowly pulled my face down towards his. I was so shocked that his lips touching mine barely registered. The second his tongue reached out and caressed my lips I felt repulsed and pushed him back roughly.

“L-Liam! W- what are you doing!” I stammered.

“Well my darling, I had to come and see you; I was soooo lonely without you,” Liam replied, looking smug and happy with himself.

Thank you for reading and a huge thanks to the wonderful and amazing Lisa and Thaddeus, without you this wouldnt be here. :hug:
Copyright © 2014 ShadowAscender; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hmmm, who's Liam and is he going to throw a wrench into Emmett and Jayden's mating?

 

I do like Mother H, even if she seems a bit wacky! lol

 

I'm looking foward to when E&J finally "meet" as mates. :)

 

Great chapter, Shadow! :P

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..