Jump to content
    shatterheart
  • Author
  • 4,210 Words
  • 925 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Auroan Syn - 2. Chapter 2

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thank you tomy editor NightOwl.

Chapter 2



Elios drove slowly through the Crystal Forest. He and Cole loved to see the shimmering colors the forest made when the sun hit them at all angles but they wouldn’t be able to stay in the forest long enough to watch the pretty colors. Today was a Holy Day of Talos, his disciples would be praying in the river west of the temple of Zaude. They were hostile towards Elios and they hungered for Cole’s power. They would have to pray and leave immediately before anyone saw them or felt them for that matter.


“Cole.” Elios said lightly, shaking the little boy awake. “You could sleep through a hurricane. Come on, it’s almost Zenith. You don’t want to miss Emrys, do you?”


Cole jumped awake at the name of his favorite demi-god. “Emrys!” He screamed and raced into the abandoned temple.


The temple had been attacked and laid siege to by Doen soldiers and mages. Half of the complex was gone to let nature reclaim it. The other half was still intact with its ancient designs and beautiful tapestries. Elios walked in, seeing Cole already praying to Emrys for his protection during the day. Elios didn’t pray to either Emrys or Remys, he only prayed to Zaude, the only truth. Elios didn’t really understand if Emrys and Remys combined created the God-Prince Zaude, why would he need to pray to sides of Zaude but he let Cole continue to pray his way.


Elios found a spot where both light and shadow met in the temple. They always met in the same spot, among the Heavens’ Mirrors. At the moment, they were tight in their buds, absorbing the light from the day and at night they would open and let out the light that they gathered all day. He compared himself to the flowers often since his body couldn’t make Manna; it absorbed it from other things.


Elios kneeled in the flowers, bowed his head and put his hands together. “I call upon the forgotten master of Time, creator of elements, master of Destruction, master of Creation, the master of All; I summon thee, come Zaude.” Elios’ shadow became darker over some of the flowers, giving the illusion of night to make them open. The light became brighter making the flower pulse with excitement.


“God-Prince Zaude, son of the First and Second god, I pray that you keep my brother safe. I pray that you keep the demon Talos and his disciples away from Cole. I pray that you keep our parents safe in your loving arms. I pray that you keep all who have died in your loving arms. I pray-.”


“Eli!”


Elios looked to the corner to see Cole pressing himself into the wall to get away from something. Elios ran to him, jumping across the room with a single bound. He wrapped his arms around Cole, planting his feet on the wall, and jumped back into the bed of flowers.


Elios set Cole down, his eyes locked on the intruder. “Cole, shield.” Cole whimpered and focused. A white globe engulfed Cole and Elios. “Stay here!” Elios stepped out of field to face the man.


“No!”


“Keep that shield up, let no one in unless I tell you to!”


Sorre stepped out of the shadow of the archway, clapping at Elios’ performance. Sorre was a mildly attractive human with pale skin, muddy green eyes, a hawk nose, and equally pale red hair. Sorre had become a soldier of Talos in the past raining season after he lost his sick father until then he prayed with Eli and Cole.


Elios stared hard at Sorre, trying to keep his senses open. “What do you want Sorre?”


Sorre gave a soft smile, “I’m just here to see how you’re doing?”


“Leave, you aren’t welcome here.”


Sorre stepped closer, keeping his hands where Elios could see them. He was wearing tech-armor with a new right hand piece. “You still see me as a traitor?”


“Yes.” Elios moved back to Cole. He tried to listen to everything going on around the temple. He could hear the disciples of Talos chanting in the distance, the animals still moved. “What do you want?”


“I want you and Cole to stop praying to a dead god.” He said simply, and sat in a pew. “I’m tired of not being able to talk to you like we use to.”


“Then come back to us. Zaude will not hold a grudge, just come back to us.”


Sorre just shook his head. “Do you know how much power you would have if you only prayed to Talos? You would be able to get out of that shack you call home and be able to be a noble. All the time you waste praying to a dead god-.”


“I rather pray to a dead god than a demon.” Elios snorted. “Just leave.”


“No. I’m tired of seeing Cole walking out of that damn pub! I’m tired of seeing you work all day to go home to that hovel. I miss you and Cole. You have no idea how much I miss you.”


“You joined the demons.”


“And you stay loyal to him why? He has not given you one ounce of power to sustain yourself. Instead of uplifting you, he’s made you dependent on others in every way. No one here would hire an Auroan so you have to work for Zeke, your body can’t make Manna to keep you alive so it takes it from others, and you’re lonely. If I know you at all Elios, I know that you’re lonely at night. You’re scared to sleep by yourself at times. Your god gives you no comfort of any sort. He’s taken your mother and left you nothing. That’s why I left.”


Elios tried to keep his emotion in check but it was too much. Tears began to run down his face, his breathes were becoming hard to control. Sorre knew what buttons to push.


“I left because I was tired of everything being taken and given nothing in return. I couldn’t take it anymore after dad died, I just couldn’t.”


“Why are you telling me this?” He sobbed.


“Because I want you to know I love you. I left so I could make enough money for us to live anywhere. You know I love Colin like he was my little brother, you know I love you. Just come with me please.” Sorre stretched out his hand.


Elios didn’t know how Sorre got close enough to touch him. He wanted Sorre back so badly. Sorre was right; he was lonely all the time. Cole couldn’t give him everything he needed. Cole couldn’t give him a warm bed, or a kiss, or listen to his almost adult problems. Sorre could and did. At nights, Elios would leap into Sorre’s arms and bury his face into Sorre’s neck, crying. Sorre would just smile and hold him.


“Please, Eli, please. Let me help you, let Talos help you.” Sorre wrapped his arms around the shaking Elios, kissing his head lightly. “It’ll be alright, Eli. We can do whatever we want. Just you, me, and Cole, happy again. Stop making yourselves suffer for nothing.”


It felt so good to be held again. Elios didn’t want it to stop but it had to. “No.” He shoved Sorre back. “We can’t.” His mother didn’t die for nothing.


Sorre jumped back a few more feet. “Then I will have to take you in by force.”


“What?” Elios looked at Cole to make sure he was alright. Cole stared back at him, rocking slowly. “Why?”


Sorre’s voice lost its concern and kindness. “I have been given orders to find and capture the Auroan who uses Daathic Artes.” Sorre’s heart stung when he saw Elios’ face. “Please, Elios, it doesn’t have to be like this.”


Elios wiped his face and shifted into his fighting form. “No.”


“Very well.”


Elios lunged across the room, landing a kick on Sorre. He grunted and grabbed Elios’ ankle and threw into a spin. Elios twisted himself up right, sliding back to Cole’s shield. Sorre moved first, knocking Elios into the adjacent wall. Crumbles fell when his back collided with the wall. Elios shook himself and ran back, jumping up to dodge Sorre’s punches; Elios tucked his legs and spun, kicking Sorre again.


Sorre wretched him from the air, throwing him through the pews then the altar. Elios flipped, and landed vertically on the altar wall. Elios launched himself, charging his hand with Manna. Sorre dodged and with his new augment, punched Elios with its green charge.


“You forgot I’m stronger now.” Sorre said, as the augment recharged itself.


Elios tumbled backwards, rubbing his jaw. He felt the charge tingling across his skin before he absorbed it in his hands. Elios released his hold on the Manna, moving faster than Sorre could comprehend, landing four punches and two kicks, sending Sorre to the ground bloody.


Elios kneeled down, wiping some blood away from Sorre’s eyes. “You forgot I’m stronger.” Sorre laughed softly. The laugh set Elios on edge. It wasn’t a laugh of defeat or remorse. It was a laugh of a trap working perfectly.


Elios heard the chanting becoming so loud it sounded like it came from the sky. He turned to see Cole’s struggling face in the shield. It flickered and faded and Talos mages surround him. He cried out Elios name before he was enveloped in a light and disappeared.


“Cole!” He twirled back to Sorre. “What have you done?!” Golden chains wrapped themselves around Elios limbs, pulling them from under him. “Stop! Give me back my brother!”


Sorre rose slowly, sitting Indian style. “I’m sorry but orders are orders.”


“What are you going to do with him?” He asked, struggling against the chains until they bit into his skin.


Sorre stood up, looking out of one eye and holding his right arm. “He’s going to the Cannon. If you cooperate, I’ll bring you to him.”


Elios starting shaking heavy, a few mages grunted at his sudden strength. “Give me back Cole!” Sorre just stared puzzled at him until the flowers went into full bloom. Elios absorbed the Manna from the flowers, glowing as bright as they never did before. He roared again, releasing the Manna. “Omni strike!” Manna raced into the sky, sending lightning in its place.


*              *              *


Edmund stood outside the pub, watching if any Doen soldiers wanted to come in the bar. The evening bell rung four times. Elios still wasn’t back yet but he was probably doing something else. He saw a flash of light and turned to the direction of the Crystal Forest. A column of Manna raced to the sky and a thunder storm appeared. The Talos mages were strong in that they could affect the weather like that. Ben sent another guy to switch posts; it was too cold for one man to stay outside the whole time.


Edmund poured himself a glass of straight Malhit. “Man, you should see those Doen mages.” He said to no one in particular.


“What?” Their slim mechanic, Dav’yd asked.


“They’re out there messing with the weather out there.” Dav’yd just nodded in amazement then shook his head.


Out of earshot Zeke went over the plan again in his head. They had the bombs, weapons, and healing kits. They lacked the full blue imprint of the Cannon. The Manna Cannon stood at the heart of the heart, constantly charged with Manna being Doen Mages. It was used for devastating long range attacks where armies had failed. The structure itself was tall and cylindrical with floors of mages chanting in unison to charge the cannon. It could destroy the barrier on the city, cancel its magic, and destroy it all at once. If they didn’t destroy the thing then the resisting the Doen Empire was futile.


“Hey, Zeke, where’s your kid?” Ben questioned, thinking about what Ed said.


Zeke waved his concerns away. “He’s probably taken Cole home to eat. He’ll be back at last evening bell.”


“Alright.”


*              *              *


Everyone at the bar heard the low rumbling of the motorcycle. It was the dead of night. Zeke walked down stairs to tell Elios to go home. It was too early for his morning shift.


“Kid, what are -?” He held his breath when he saw Elios bloody and limping. “Elios, what happened? Where’s Cole?”


His eyes were heavy and tired. His body ached all over. He pulled Zeke closer, fearing his words were too weak to make it on air. “They took Cole.”


“Took him where?”


“The Cannon.” Elios’ body went slumped in Zeke’s arms.


Ben and Edmund ran to the door at the sight of him. “What happened?” They asked in unison.


“They took Cole to the Cannon.” Zeke put Elios in Edmund’s arms. “Take him upstairs to the third room on the right. Watch him.”


“Yes sir.”


Edmund settled Elios into the bed. He didn’t need a med tech to know how bad Elios was beaten. There was a bruise on his head, another one hidden by his shirt. Edmund unbuttoned the shirt slowly trying not to wake Elios. He stopped himself from cursing. His chest was bruised above his heart and ribs with fine cuts that still bled a little. There was another ugly bruise on his stomach disappearing into his pants. Before his brain finished deciding whether to open his pants a med-bot appeared.


“What are you doing here?” Edmund asked roughly.


The med-bot hovered over to Elios. “I am here to administer treatment.” A latch fell open on its body and a sphere of gold light flew out. It touched Elios’ skin and was absorbed. The bruises healed, the bones fixed, his pain gone. “He will be better by morning.”


He never saw something like that before. “What do you do?”


“I gave him Manna to heal himself.”


Edmund stood to leave until he heard Elios murmur. “Don’t go.” He could see that Elios was still asleep. “Please.” He whimpered. Edmund couldn’t leave him. He sighed and took off his shirt but kept his pants. He shifted closer to the wall to give Elios room. “Closer.” Elios snuggled closer, burying his face in Edmund’s neck. “Warm.”


Edmund just wrapped his arms around the small kid. “Sleep.”


*              *              *


Elios hadn’t felt so warm in so long. He snuggled closer and arms tightened around his waist. Elios giggled lightly, opening his eyes to the midday sun and the man lying next to him. The man was tall, human; his body was hard and sculpted on all planes with a long scar coming from his left shoulder to his right hip. There was little hair across his chest and his stomach. It wasn’t Sorre, of course, it wasn’t Sorre. It was that man.


Elios tried to move back but the man pulled him at his waist. “Come on, let’s go back to bed.”


Elios ripped the sheets off the bed to make sure he was still clothed, they still had their pants. Elios straddled the man’s hips and cocked his arm back, giving it a little Manna for a solid hit. “Where are we?”


Edmund woke up feeling something grind into his morning hardon. Someone was shouting. “Huh?” His eyes fluttered open to see Elios angry with his right fist glowing. He looked good sitting on his lap, his hair wild, his body toned from who knows what. His hands rested on Elios hips, grinding slowly into his ass.


Elios shook him lightly. “Where are we?”


“At the bar.”


Elios looked confused and lowered his arm, He tried to remember. Sorre at the temple, Cole gone, his power going out of control. “Cole!” He tried to get up but Edmund didn’t let go.


“Hey, hey, calm down.”


“No.” Elios started shaking. “No, I have to get Cole. Please, let go, I need to find Cole.” His chest was starting to hurt, his eyes were burning, and he was going to cry again.


Edmund found himself wrestling with a person who had the power of a Febit. “I promise we’ll find him, you just have to calm down.” Elios finally stopped shaking but the tears still came. “Shh! Shh, it’s alright. I’ll bring him back, just calm down.” Edmund pulled him back down.


“I have to find him. I can’t leave him there. He’s cold, and alone, and scared. He can’t protect himself yet. I can’t let them have him. They’ll do horrible things to him, I have to find him.” He chattered on.


“You can’t help him if you’re hurt. Just wait a little longer.”


Elios finally settled down and back to sleep. Edmund listened to his heart finally relax. He ran his hand through his hair. He drifted off back to sleep too.


*              *              *


Elios awoke again, this time without the man that kept him warm. It was night already. He was mostly healed but some parts of his body still ached. He went to the shower. He needed to concentrate to sense Cole. It would’ve been better if he could go to the temple but he didn’t have the time. He needed to find Cole now. He let the beads of water hit his skin. He forced himself to gather Manna.


“Colin Nirum Syn,” He felt the link that connected them. “I seek thee, Nirum Syn.” He waved his hand above a puddle of water. He could see the Manna Cannon but nothing else in the watery mirror. “I need to be closer.”


Elios finished his shower and dressed. The mirror had yet to reveal anything and he couldn’t feel Cole like normal. Maybe they were too far apart for him to sense him naturally. But it wouldn’t matter soon; he was going to get his brother.


Elios walked downstairs into the relaxed pub. Their regulars weren’t there but others were and the weapons and guns that littered the place meant they were the resistance. Zeke sat near the back still talking to Ben. He started walking in their direction until he saw that man in his bed. The one who ordered a drink that he was too young for. The man’s eyes bore into him, making his heart beat faster. Elios remembered the heat, how his hands gripped his waist.


“How are you doing?” The man asked.


Elios dropped his gaze to the floor. “I’m better.”


“That’s good. I’m Edmund by the way.”


“Elios.” He looked back at Zeke who finally saw him. “I need to talk to Zeke, excuse me.”


Zeke hugged the kid, tight to his chest. “Are you okay?”


“Can’t breathe!” He cried his back still hurting.


Zeke eased on the hug. “Kid, what happened?”


Elios sat down and explained what happened leaving out his lost of control. “Kid, we’re going to get your brother back.” Ben said with all his teeth.


“I’m coming with you.”


Everyone turned to see him. “Kid, no you’re not.” Zeke said.


Elios felt outraged. “He’s my brother!”


“And we’ll get him back but you have to stay here.” Zeke gripped Elios’ arm. “Kid, I made a promise to your mother. I’m not going to let you or Cole die but you’ll get in the way.”


Elios ripped his arm free, his jaw tight with anger. He just stormed off back upstairs.


“Ed, do you mind watching Eli for me?”


“No, problem Zeke.”


Before Edmund’s foot hit the first step, the rumbling of the motorcycle returned and faded. Zeke was the first to make it to a window. Elios waved goodbye as he drove towards the Cannon.


*              *              *


Elios stood in the alley a little farther from the Cannon. The mirror had changed to Cole staring outside of the Manna Cannon but Elios’ empathy couldn’t lock Cole still. The mages must be trying to cloak him. He started to think how much longer the shift changes would be. Security of all kinds was on high alert.


“There you are.” Elios heard the voice deeper in the alley. He raised his fist. “Elios, it’s me Edmund.”


“Come closer.” Edmund stepped into the light waving Elios over.


“We don’t have time for this, come on.” Elios followed him through the confusing turns and twists of the alley. “I found him Boss.”


“Good, stay behind with him while we attack.” Ben didn’t even bother to look at Elios. He had too much to think of what could go wrong. “Laurel, can you tell me how mages are there?”


A beautiful Auroan woman passed Elios. She felt something take some of her Manna. She twirled with handful of purple magic aimed at Elios. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.”


She kept the magic, but she sensed the air around him. “Hey, Laurel, back off. The kid didn’t mean it.” Edmund said, pulling Elios behind him.


She squinted her eyes. “You’re Auroan?”


Her gaze was too intense for him to kept eye contact. He felt like a child again. “Yes.”


“You have a strange Manna formula around you.” Elios didn’t answer. “I’m sorry, you caught me off guard.” She turned to Ben. “What were you saying?”


“How many mages are here?”


“No!” A cry came from Elios. He looked at the mirror, his empathy was kicking in. His thoughts were becoming blurry and misguided. He stopped his empathy mirror before the spell took hold. “I have to go get him!” He easily bound over Edmund and raced to the Cannon.


Most people stood in awe at the Manna Cannon’s golden barrier that seemed to reach the sky with its fantastic power. Elios saw it as an obstacle that was trying to trap his brother. He started punching the barrier harder and harder each time he drew back his arm. The barrier flickered but didn’t fail. Elios stepped back and aimed his hand at the barrier. Sparks jumped from the shield into Elios until it became a steady flow. It flickered again; the mages holding it were starting to become weak. Elios took more. He wanted to stop the absorption but it felt so good. He was starved for Manna; he only took little amounts to sustain his body but had never been full. It was a delicious feeling, so warm, so dangerous.


He woke himself for the bliss. He had to get rid of it, now. He forced the Manna into his right hand. He raised his hand and punched the ground. “Blade Burst!” A blade erupted from the earth, slicing the barrier and Cannon in half. He realized that he used too much Manna and damaged the Cannon. It would soon fall apart.


Elios wasted no time, absorbing the rest of the Manna from the broken barrier. He jumped to the second level of the Cannon and looked at the mirror. Cole was still staring at the Force on the ground level.


Guards swarmed the room, swords, guns, and spears ready. One guard lunged forward and Elios dodged to the left, snapping the guard’s arm and grabbed his sword. He twisted to dodge the furious swipes of the other guard. Elios sunk his blade in the second guard and turned to face the one with the broken arm. He was standing with another sword in his other hand. Elios was quick but the guard knew how to use a sword properly. The guard pinned Elios in a corner easily.


The Guard kept pressing, moving the blade back and forth and made sparks leapt forth. Elios grabbed his throat, “Soul Extraction!” The guard slumped over as his life was drained. The others charged. He needed to get to Cole. “Those who envy the power of the sun, I shall grace you with its presence. Apollo’s Arrow.” He sent out the shock wave, crippling the guards and ran to the stairs.


He made to the top floor. He killed both mages before they finished. Cole stood facing the window, staring.” Cole, I’m here.” He turned slowly keeping his head down. “Cole, what’s wrong?” Elios started to worry, why his brother wasn’t saying anything. Elios shook him lightly. “Cole. Cole, look at me.” His eyes told him what he needed. “No.”


Cole’s brown eyes were infected with the Doen royal crest. He had been marked for the Doen nobility. Elios went to grab Cole and escape but something collided with his face, sending him into the wall.


His body fell to the ground with a thump. “You really thought you could just stroll in here without a problem?” The voice asked him. Elios stood, pushing himself up next to the window. His eyes couldn’t focus on the man, but the ringing in his ears didn’t stop the sound of the gun cock. “I’m sorry for your lost.” The bullet slammed into Elios’ body, launching it through the window and the mirror along with him.


He could see through his closing eyes, the man pulling Colin to him and wings spouting from his back. The man and Colin raced off to sky as the Cannon exploded on Elios’ heels.


He heard someone scream, “Catch him!”

all commments are welcome.
Copyright © 2011 shatterheart; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..