Jump to content
    sojourn
  • Author
  • 673 Words
  • 2,213 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A new Acolyte - 1. Chapter 1

Jim cussed as the traffic refused to let him make a left hand turn into the parking lot. He wondered if someone he knew would see him turning into this place. It's not like this feeling, this need could be acknowledged anywhere else, especially to friends, neighbors or family.

Jim was a recent convert and though his baptism had not taken place here. He felt he would be welcomed... still if his friends saw him. Oh well, traffic had cleared, no point in changing his mind now.

As he pulled into the parking lot he turned his radio off and listened to the granite pebbles shift under his tires. He looked around in the parking lot to see if he recognized any of the vehicles. There were more than a few members in attendance. There was a cable installation truck, a phone repair truck and several trucks with ladders and construction tools in the back. Numerous cars of all makes models and price ranges. Yep most likely services were being held even as he put his pickup into park.

He had cash for the offering, but left his wallet under the seat. He checked to make sure he took nothing but the cash and his keys. He was eager to once again take the sacrament.

As he walked across the crunching stones he hit his remote to be sure the truck was locked. The chirp made him cuss because it wasn't silent, Jim didn't want attention just yet.

Inside an usher greeted him and accepted his offering. Then a buzzer announced his entrance into the inner sanctum. He waited just inside until his eyes adjusted to the dimmed interior. He stepped over to a wall that held frescoes in a large case. These frescoes showed saints and profhets of the new religion in various acts of prayer, thanksgiving and contrition. Some were being punished even tortured for their beliefs. Some were embracing their fellow man and sharing the love of the gospel. Jim noticed and somehow thought it proper that these men were in various stages of undress.

Once his eyes adjusted he looked around. There were two lines of individual confessionals. One could enter and sit in solitude while the lives of the prophets were reinacted on small sreeens. Or one could commune with his fellow suplicant through a specially arranged hole. On ones knees the hole was face high.

If one preferred there was a larger sanctum in which chairs were arranged in rows for the viewing of the acts of prophets on a large theater screen. Here brothers engaged one another in testifying to the holy spirit. Jim had witnessed the glory and cried out “Oh God! Oh God! On more than one occaion he had helped another see the light and heard the ecstatic cry of “Jesus Christ!”

Jim walked around the confessionals and even checked a couple that had doors half opened. He noticed that these men had a different approach to genuflecting. That made the motion for him to enter and join them... But Jim had a more oral or vocal approach in mind. He knew that he needed someone to pray with but he had not been moved by the men he had thus far seen. Jim was a patient man.

He knew that the chaple and the inner sanctum were open all night and he would find the companion he prayed for. The one he would pray with would most likely be a blue collar average looking guy with a friendly face. Those drew him closer to God than just about any other.

As he waited, he thought about how women might be jealous if they knew of this church. Husbands, fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, cousins and sons all came here to pray. Whether it was in the middle of the day, late at night or early morning hours they came. Whenever two or more gathered there would be prayer and offerings with sometimes shouts of “God, I'm coming”.

Today however Jim w

Copyright © 2011 sojourn; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 09/03/2011 05:40 AM, Nephylim said:
HAHAHA. That was priceless. I mean REALLY priceless. You are awesome
Tell all your friends... your reviews always make me want to cut and paste them in my happy album. Thanks
Link to comment
On 09/04/2011 02:16 AM, Michael9344 said:
OMG. This is one of those plots that if it was poorly written I'd be very disgusted. But this? Superb!
Thanks for the review...lol... I am sure glad it is not disgusting.
Link to comment
On 09/04/2011 09:57 AM, ljs 48 said:
Oh my, you're branching out in all directions. This was great!
Does this mean I have to pay you for editing...Thanks
Link to comment
On 09/04/2011 09:57 AM, ljs 48 said:
Oh my, you're branching out in all directions. This was great!
Does this mean I have to pay you for editing...Thanks
Link to comment
On 2/10/2012 at 3:22 PM, Adamantyne said:

Lol, I didn't catch on until I reached the end. Very nice twist indeed!

Thanks for posting your comments. Finding them is still hit or miss. I believe responding to comments is a fun and obligatory aspect of posting a story. I try to stay on top of them, but as this proves, I am not always successful. And YES I do blame G A for not improving this situation. I have found comments, like yours, that were posted years ago to my stories. I thought people just stopped reading them. I quit writing for several years, partly because I thought no one was reading my stories anymore. How was I to know GA just stopped emailing notifications. They didn't bother sending me an email notification notifying me that they quit sending email notifications.  And to this day I still get the newsletter, but not a single notification of any kind. NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL ME TO CHOOSE IN SETTINGS.

When I first discovered I had "comments" from years ago, I felt responsible and too embarrassed to post a response after so long a time lapse. Now, I think it is important that GA share at least part of the blame. (While I ignored my own stories, I did continue to read on GA through these past few years.)

So, I, most likely, won't comment on a comment you most likely won't remember posting to a story you won't remember having read. All the same I get the satisfaction of knowing that I have responded to every comment posted regarding my stories. 

Who knows, maybe you will get an email "notification" regarding my response. God knows, I won't. Thanks for posting your comments. They help keep me motivated.

Respectfully,
Jim Ford

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..