Jump to content
    thecalimack
  • Author
  • 2,952 Words
  • 1,784 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Frigid Grasp - 4. A Visit to the Hall

CHAPTER 4: A Visit to the Hall

The sudden letter from Sven puzzled him, the request even moreso. Why was a traveling doctor suddenly the interest of the Hall, and the many nobles in hightown at that? It didn't make sense. Were doctors really considered so scarce? He supposed a few clinics couldn't really manage the whole city. The thought of it was unnerving. The arrangement was given promptly. He and Arden would meet at the port a few hours after daybreak. What did the Hall know about Arden?

He arrived at the port and spotted Arden speaking with one of the marine captains. He walked up to them and waved in greeting. “Getting ahead of ourselves, are we?”

The marine captain coughed before asking, “Captain Roland, good to see you. You're bringing this mage to the Hall?”

“He isn't a mage.” Then he noticed Arden looking away. “Are you?”

“It's a complicated history.” Roland saw those strange eyes dance in the light of day this time. It was odd, almost hypnotizing. He felt like he could get lost staring into those orbs of green and blue. “Anyone else we're waiting for?”

“Not really. There's a handful of guardsmen on post at Marina Gaol.”

The marine captain gestured to his ship. “Climb on aboard and we'll get everything ready.”

 

The city limits were considered in terms of radius. The Marina Gaol housed the Templar Hall and the Mages' Hall, along with the Gallows beneath it. The entire place was a prison as Arden studied it from the ship's deck. He'd heard stories about Bosefestung and its past. The Marina Gaol was used to house dangerous prisoners, probably still up to this very day. He asked Roland if it was true.

“Yes, they house prisoners, under the watchful eye of their respective Halls. The Mages have had their eye on re-educating mage youths so they wouldn't be a danger to society. But there are times when one must be restrained or executed.”

Arden stayed quiet and watched the tides roll. It was a good day for sailing. Roland had his eyes closed, enjoying the breeze. “You enjoy the sea?”

“Much. My friend Rustan and I would sneak into the port and enjoy the sea, even if it smelled like rancid fish at times.” Roland smiled as he watched the horizon. “When we were older, his father brought us to the Marina Gaol to speak with the Templars and Mages. He was an active noble who gave proper advice.”

“Sounds like a great man. What about your family?”

“Sold me as a serf.” Arden stayed quiet. “It's okay. I came out pretty well. Never really knew them. Guess the burden wasn't something they could manage. That or a lot of things. I don't think about it much anymore.”

“At least you know where you belong,” Arden whispered to the wind. He watched the sea fondly, and spoke louder. “Were you lonely?”

“No, the family was good to me. His son is now an advisor in the duke's council, and I'm the Captain of the Guard. You should meet him. He's a great man.”

“Sure. Maybe after this, you can bring me to the Keep. I told Sven to tell would-be patients not to expect me for the whole day. There may be hell to pay tomorrow, though.”

“Then it's a date.” Roland only realized his words a moment later. “I mean, you know, it's settled and...”

“Whatever you settle for.” Arden was smiling at him. “Don't think too much about it.” He patted Roland's arm and returned to sea-gazing. He didn't realize how nerve-wracking the assuring gesture was. What was he feeling? His heart was pounding and he was hyper-aware of Arden's movements, the subtlest tilt to the soft sighs. He forced his gaze on the sea as the thought of watching his lips flashed in his mind. He needed to discipline himself.

 

Once the ship docked to port, the two met with an escort at the port gates. The two guardsman saluted to their Captain and cast curious glances at Arden. “He's with me,” Roland informed them. “Is the Knight-Commander here?”

“Surprise, surprise, she isn't. She was on a ship to the city about a few minutes before you arrived.”

Roland wasn't so sure whether to be bothered or relieved. He already spoke with the Knight-Commander and the Master Enchanter yesterday and it looked near-violent. And he wasn't so sure he wanted the bitch anywhere near Arden. Something about Arden made him more protective of him. “Do you know what business she has in the city?”

“Probably to see to the duke.”

“Well, let's hope he and the seneschal can handle it then.” Roland looked over to his companion. “You're ready to talk to the Master Enchanter?”

Arden shrugged. “Let's make this quick. The anticipation is killing me.”

 

Master Enchanter Morpheus was reading over the paperwork, wondering about these statements from the Knight-Commander. The complaints ranged from their apparent lack of discipline to blame put on them for the actions of those not in the Hall. Morpheus lost count of how many times he explained that the ones outside his Hall have not received training and guidance from them and thus not the same upbringing and control Hall mages displayed. Istilla was willing to shoot her mouth off but not put an ear out.

A knock came on the door and without looking granted entrance.

“Master Enchanter,” a familiar voice spoke. “I brought the traveling doctor you requested.”

Morpheus looked up and saw the trustworthy Captain Roland. He eyed the man next to him, a familiar yet strange face. “Good to see you Roland, and you must be the traveling doctor everyone has been speaking of. Now that I look at you, have we met?”

“Forgive me, Master Enchanter,” Arden spoke. “You look familiar, as well, but I can't be sure. I am Arden Grey. And your name is...”

“Morpheus Ozwald.”

Arden smiled. “I think we met in passing years ago. It was in Glasmerry back in Minoire. Lady Montillet's tenth anniversary, if I'm correct.”

The corner of the Master Enchanter's lip twitched. “Ah, I think I recall. You were accompanying Prince Milo as his advisor.” The mood left his face. “I'm sorry about what happened.”

Roland had heard about Prince Giovanni Milo's assassination. He studied Arden's sullen expression. “I didn't find him in time when we were separated.”

“Well, the rumors we heard don't pertain to that incident but I can safely verify without testing you are, indeed, a mage. And a harmless one, relatively. You left notes to a doctor in Bassan who has spread the knowledge to the rest of the country in his book. I so-happen to have a copy.”

“You mean Riley?” Arden gave a rueful smile. “I'm glad he's decided to publish it into printing and make a profit in the process. About time he made himself useful to his wife. Wish he'd send me a few donations after all those letters of checking on him, though.”

“I doubt messenger birds could carry that much coin,” Morpheus quipped. “Please, have a seat, you two.”

The two sat on the chairs in front of the Master Enchanter's desk, glancing at the paperwork laid bare. “To be honest, I wanted to discuss matters with you, Mr. Grey. It concerns your safety during your stay here.”

Arden nodded. “It concerns the Knight-Commander?”

“Ah, you've heard the rumors?”

“From everyone of my patients, my landlord, and a few friends.”

“Then you know she won't be so lenient with you when you meet her. She's a waste of existence, but that's my personal bias. But anyone can tell you she's more than disagreeable.”

Arden nodded. “I come into the picture because of these rumors.”

The Enchanter nodded back. “I understand you will not go into hiding because you adhere to your duty to tend to the wounded. That includes criminals. Getting on her bad side may be a mistake or not, but it is a grave decision. When the time comes, offer information only as you see fit. I understand you're a smart person; you've been to court. The Captain and I can try to tame her down so a reasonable and proper punishment is administered. As for pricing, well, she may have quarrel with you if she ever finds your clinic. If so, tell her percentage tax or something. I've studied a fair amount of accounting but clearly not enough.”

Arden nodded. “I should probably get a permit or license while I'm at it.”

“Speak with the Duke. Perhaps he can shoulder the cost. I hear he's taken an interest to you, too.”

“It's true,” Captain Roland pitched in. “You have mixed reception in the nobles' view, mostly positive, and lowtown adores you.”

“Then you're going to say I'm going to run for office,” Arden accused. Roland looked away rather quickly. “Oh Maker, don't tell me...”

“If you could be Official Lord Surgeon for the Keep, it would be most helpful,” he coughed. “It was the Duke's idea.”

Arden sighed and slumped back in his seat. He exchanged a sorrowful look with the Enchanter. “It's not my decision to make, Mr. Grey, but it sounds promising.”

“I'm walking a thin line here, and I'm hardly over the last city I was in.”

“What city?”

“Almer.”

The two others froze, eyes shot wide open. There was news of the city three months ago, that a rebellion had torn the place asunder until a band of mercenaries restored order. “You were there at the rebellion?”

“Every city seems to be rebelling these days,” Arden huffed, hands clasp together as he stared at the ground. “Yes, I was there. I was a sort of combat medic, actually. I went into combat and tended to the wounded. Things happened there. It was ugly, to say the least.”

“I'm sorry for your losses,” Enchanter muttered. “Let's not dwell on it if it bothers you. There may be a better time and place for it.”

“Thank you.”

“Well, to get the point across, I'd just like to warn you personally about the Knight-Commander, and to show you around the Mages' Hall, if you'd like a tour. I want to show you what the Hall here had to offer and if you liked what you saw.”

Arden smiled brightly. “I've been curious. Could you show me your dungeons?”

The Enchanter frowned. “Why?”

“I want to see the historic, old essence of the place before we move up the timeline.”

The Captain and the Master Enchanter exchanged a look between them and shrugged. By now they took Arden as an innocent young man with a thirst and passion for knowledge and compassion. And they figured there was no harm done showing him around the Gaol.

 

The tour was led by one of the Apprentice mages. She was a bright woman with dark skin and a bit of that youthful ambition and passion in her eyes. “I certainly hope to make it as Enchanter one day,” she rambled on as they walked through the dark, stone tunnel. The ceiling was a bit low and the torches on the walls lit themselves as they entered the hall. The walls were actually iron bars, caging quiet criminals bound in chains and sealed by a magic glyph that hovered on the bars. “This silencing method is common practice in jailing mages. It nulls their ability to use magic but still allows speech. Incantations are rendered useless. It's a curious piece of work.”

Arden eyed the seal a moment and followed the apprentice as she explained how the dungeons were linked to the Templar corners. Once the tour of the dungeon was done, they made it back up and were escorted to the upper floors of the hall. The entire Marina Gaol was one big building with vast and multiple sections. It gave off the impression of a manor on the upper floors. Arden wandered right into a library, surprising the apprentice.

Roland and the apprentice watched Arden admiring the covers on the books. The apprentice giggled. “He's fond of books, isn't he?”

“Clearly.” Arden jogged back to them, grinning. “Fond of the library, Arden?”

“The references you have here are amazing. Do you keep a sigil on the shelves to protect the tomes?”

The apprentice frowned thoughtfully. “I don't think we've done that. I'll suggest it to the Enchanters. Do you think they need protection?”

Arden shrugged. “Assuming no one fought in the library, I see no need for it.”

The apprentice frowned further. “There have been spats... I'll go suggest it. In the meantime, let us continue, Master Grey.” They continued their way, heading to the staircase at the end of the Hall. “You must tell me what it's like traveling from city to city, it must be exciting!”

“It is. You make a few friends and you leave for the next town. The trips in between can be lonely, but every now and then, you meet someone worthwhile.” Arden then gave Roland a sidelong glance. Their eyes met. “Sometimes that person makes it hard to leave.”

The apprentice swooned as they marched up the steps. “Especially if they become your lover. Did you ever enter that predicament?”

“A few times,” Arden sighed as he looked away. Roland felt a pang in his chest. “Some reasons to leave are easier than others.”

“That's almost enough to make me second-guess about leaving the Hall.”

“Planning to be a traveler, Miss?”

“A little. I was thinking of working in Minoire. The Mage Halls there seem pretty luxurious.”

“That's still an understatement,” Arden laughed. “Good luck to you, though. Most of the positions are filled via recommendation. You'd have to work your way up.”

They were moving down the hall when the apprentice asked, “You've been to Minoire, Master Grey?”

“Just Arden, please. And yes, I was there, but that is old news. I was mostly a servant and a doctor to an old friend. Since his passing, I hovered around, doing what I could, and then I found some sort of calling being a public healer. It leaves little for me, but saving lives is its own reward.”

“But it must be hard on you.”

“It can be.” They stopped in the middle of a lobby where a giant statue of someone holding a hand out and a staff in the other was on display. “Who is that?”

“That is the statue of the late Fredrich Mallard, the first Master Enchanter of this institution. He had strong views about teaching mages proper guidance, control, and ethics about the use of magic. His books aren't exactly famous, though. He was an honest-working mage, though. Probably the last Mallard mage but that didn't make the family's view of mages sour.”

“Good to know.” Arden studied their surroundings. Scholarly mages bustled left and right, immersed in either a book, a scroll, or conversation. “Busy place.”

“Almost as busy as the Keep,” Roland remarked. “Does much happen?”

“Aside from studies, no. I've always been curious about the Templar Halls, though. Some say it's like a military base with forced training on their open court. How true is that?”

Roland snickered. “Very, I'm afraid. But much less serious. You'd find a few Templars relaxing. An army officer would never allow that.”

The lobby had a balcony overlooking the foyer at the entrance. Arden looked over the balcony just in time the front door was swung open, banging against the door. A woman in red with blonde hair and a pale complexion marched in, her armor sharp and gleaming iron. “Is that the Knight-Commander?” Arden whispered. Roland walked up to the balcony carefully and caught sight of her. He grimaced as he took Arden's elbow. “I'll take that as a yes?”

“We should go.” Roland turned to the apprentice. “Best to speak of Arden when the Knight-Commander is gone. Go on, Miss...”

“Emily,” she clarified. “It was nice to meet you, Master Grey, Captain Gallahad. I hope we meet again in nicer circumstances.”

“We hope so, too,” Arden bidded quickly. He and Roland made their way tot he end of the hall and dashed down the stairs. They eyed the halls carefully. “So, we're sneaking out without so much as a goodbye to Enchanter Morpheus?”

“Master Enchanter and we'll leave the farewells to Emily.” Roland dashed to the corner of a wall and peeked around it. “Coast is clear. Let's move.”

Roland's armor clanked slightly but Arden moved against the tiles as if he was air. He made no sound and his gait was graceful but stealthy. Well-practiced? He wondered what kind of training Arden had. What the doctor mentioned earlier came back to him. He was a sort of combat medic. He was on the field while chaos was about and that meant he knew how to survive. This was a refined skill of his.

It was funny. The only danger they were in was unnecessary grilling from the Knight-Commander.

They managed to leave the Hall unnoticed. There were no templars around and they made their way to the port. The guardsmen waved at him. “Did she ask of me?”

“Yes, but we told her you left half an hour ago. What's her problem?”

“She always had it in for me,” Roland snorted. “Didn't want Arden to suffer for our spat.”

The guardsmen looked to Arden. The doctor shrugged. “One look at her and I knew she was a demon incarnate. Didn't want to mess with that thing.”

“Amen,” the guardsmen muttered. They stepped aside and watched as Arden and Roland boarded a ship and spoke to the captain so they could set sail.

Copyright © 2017 thecalimack; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Have to wonder if we are going to get anything from the Knight Commander's side? I doubt everyone is wrong; but have to wonder why she acts the way she does?

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..