Jump to content
    Toast
  • Author
  • 1,198 Words
  • 1,321 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blue - 4. Chapter 4

My family. My people. We are human. Just as human as everyone else. At least for the last five or ten thousand years. We are just a little different is all. I have found out a lot about all this in the last months. Since the day I met my Aunt Serena. That day was also my twenty first birthday. It was not a coincidence. I hate to blurt things out like this but I am the “Unexpected”.
 
Seems my people have a very long history, as long as that of the universes themselves. And well they have this history and I have always been a part of that in the form of the unforetold, the greatest secrets of creation. This all involves my father. Of course. The man I have never known and never really thought too much of or even considered until now. Seems he arranged things for me. All of my life up to now apparently. What a dad.
 
I don’t know why I am still feeling put out my all this. It rings true kind of in a remote sort of way. I have never seen myself as, the what… champion of a cause… about anything. I was just a kid growing up with a mother and a grams and a dog and a car. Yes, Mother sang in the kitchen like she thought she was Maria Callas as she worked on a new recipe for making her rose bushes the best ever seen. And so what, if Grams was dating young professionals. Anyway, she looked young enough to be Mom’s sister and Mom looked young enough to be my sister. Every family has quirks.
 
I have been protected really all my life and sheltered, to keep from “blossoming” , Mother’s word, too soon. And now I was supposed to be ready. Ready to face the greatest threat to our existence. How? Nobody knows. I am the “Unexpected” no one can foresee. Makes loads of sense to me. Not. And my father has been away all this time trying to forestall events so I would have time to reach my twenty first birthday.
 
I kind of lost my appetite that morning at Aunt Serena’s before I even had a bite. Oh, the enormous house and stuff, it all belongs to my father. I kind of stormed out in the middle of all the discussion that didn’t really include me because it was mostly stuff about me that I had no idea existed. This only caused further discussion and almost panic. I could only leave if Ty went with me. To guard and protect me.
 
Can you hear me tap my toe and click my nails or hiss thru my teeth. Just what I needed, right. The big hunk was my guard in waiting it seems. What was I going to do race him to my car. Wrestle him for the car keys? The easiest way to get out of there was what I chose.
 
I guess it would be more romantic if I said I got on the expressway to nowhere and drove and drove and drove without a word to Robocop. But I had to reassure Blue that everything was going to be okay and that, yes, Ty was sitting in the front seat and I had to do the same with Pacey before she would crank and I had to promise her a visit to the carwash, the one with the swirling brushes. And then I had to ignore the smirk on Ty’s face for the drive home. Yes, I went home to my place, my apartment and don’t remind me that it belongs to Grams. I am not feeling grateful at that time.
 
Maybe this is why I let it happen or made it happen or didn’t do anything to stop it and maybe later all this was the reason I made nothing of it and let it slip away.
 
I parked Pacey in the basement parking lot and turned on her TV. Then Blue and I got into the elevator. Oh, and Ty was with us. And for the first time I really looked at him, eye to eye. What did I see? A tall guy who made his ugly t-shirt look good. I guy who was completely calm and relaxed or at least his posture was relaxed looking. Not like me, I was wound tight. I think every inch of me was throbbing with what? Disbelieve ? Or maybe fear ? Confusion ? When was this big event suppose to happen ? I had to be told on my twenty first birthday. That was my father’s last instruction.
 
Ty was looking back at me, meeting stare for stare. What was he seeing ? A scarred boy, I guess. Running away. Well, he didn’t know what I was feeling and he wasn’t going to boss me around and there was no way I needed anybody, definitely not a babysitter. So I did something about it. I gave it to him, the knowledge in my gaze that he was nothing and that I could sweep the floor with him. That I knew. I wasn’t that sheltered and some how I knew I could stand up to him, that I could even best him.
 
And well that is when I got my surprise. He didn’t react at all threatened when he leaned forward and kissed me lightly, right on the tip of my nose.
 
Blue was sitting between us swiveling his ears, I think he had his eyes closed. But I knew he was finding out all he needed to know with his ears and that nose of his. Blue rarely puts his two cents in. He has always let me find out the hard way, mostly, about whatever unlikely situations I found myself in. Maybe he was thinking it is about time, maybe not.
 
The question though was what was I thinking.
 
The elevator stopped me there, before I answered my own question. The doors opened into my foyer. A few people, mom and grams, a couple of friends maybe, and a few workers have seen my place. I have only had it a year. The foyer was in the back of the building because that was where the elevator was. It was round with a dome ceiling. There was a “hidden door” to the emergency stairwell and a table and a mirror on each side of the entrance to the next space. Which was round too. Two staircases that climbed to the next level created an arch way that led into the main room.
 
There is something really funny about the Domino. On the outside it looks solid. A pattern of black granite and brick and metal. It looks like sculpture. Solid. Dense. But with a presence kind of. Spirit. But the funny part is that inside the building, there is light. Lots of light and there are wonderful windows, beautifully crafted and designed and placed in just the right places. It is kind of dazzling. To me it is now home.
 
Copyright © 2012 Foster; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..