Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 5,017 Words
  • 1,319 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Grip - 11. Chapter 11

Somewhere on the M10

The snow drifted down around Max’s Jaguar XKR as it sat on the curb, its bright yellow hazard lights blinking on and off. On one side was the barrier that marked the edge of the drivable road. On the other side was the road itself and marginal traffic whizzing past by every now and then. At that particular hour, the road was at its least amount of traffic. Barely any cars were on the road.

Inside the car, Max was laying back on his seat, eyes closed as if he was asleep and dreaming. His breathing was at a slow but constant rhythm. One hand was on the steering wheel and the other was resting on the top of the gear shift. His right foot lazily rested on the gas pedal and his left foot switched between the clutch and the foot brake in tune with his breathing. In front of him the engine was humming softly.

He stayed like this for awhile, breathing slowly. Though he looked to be sleeping, he was actually wide awake and his mind was in overdrive. In his head he saw a road ahead of him. He saw the black tarmac whizzing past under his wheels. He saw every curve, every bend; every rise and fall, moving with the earth it was built on. He pictured that road rolling by faster and faster.

First Rule of Racing: Never look back. What was behind you no longer mattered.

Max opened his eyes. He used his left hand to reach up to the hazard lights switch and turned them off. That hand dropped down to the handbrake and pulled the leaver down. With the car’s wheels now free, Max’s right hand gripped the steering wheel tightly. His left hand switched to the gear paddles. He popped the clutch and shifted to first gear.

He pressed down on the gas pedal and brought the car from a dead stop to a slow crawl towards the middle of the expressway. When he was in the middle of the road, his foot began to press harder on the gas pedal. Max looked dead ahead with sharp focused eyes. He listened as his engines revs increased in pitch as it was nearing the redline. His newly installed boost gauges were also moving, indicating that the supercharger was already spooling. The speedometer was just climbing past 50 mph.

Second Rule of Racing: The road is your true opponent. Everything else is just an obstacle.

When Max’s sharp ears heard that right pitch and tone from his engine, he popped his clutch and shifted up to second gear. Already he could feel the car accelerating faster. The speedometer was now climbing past 70 mph and still going as the tachometer was reaching the red line of around 8000 rpm’s. Max never looked at these instruments but instead kept his eyes glued onto the road ahead and his ears sharp, listening closely to the sound of his machine.

Third Rule of Racing: Never aim for the finish line. It doesn’t exist…

Up to third gear now and past 90 mph. By now Max was starting to pass by some of the scant few cars that passed him by when he was sitting still on the side of the road. The lights from the lampposts started to blur into a single line of amber light.

…‘cause the real roads to perfection…they run forever…

He heard that specific pitch again. Moreover he felt it with his body as the engine reached the redline. His reaction was almost instantaneous, shifting up to forth gear in a blink of an eye. The speedometer slow climbed past 130 mph just as Max shifted gears. His face didn’t change expression.

For those who seek ultimate speed…

Max was now overtaking anything and everything on the road. Cars that were cruising along at reasonable speeds were passed bay as if they were standing still. They appeared only blurs in Max’s peripheral vision yet he evaded them with the delicacy and precision of a surgeon. All the while getting faster and faster. Redline again and the car was now going over 150 mph. He shifted up to fifth gear.

The Road ahead looked empty. He could see there was at least a mile or so between him and the next car. The speedometer inched past 160. 170. 180. By the time the tachometer was reaching the redline, the car around 185 mph. Max shifted to top gear. Now on sixth gear, Max took his left hand away from the gear shift and now gripped the steering wheel with both hands.

…drive on streets unlimited, with no true ends.

The tachometer climbed much slower this time, almost at the same rate as the speedometer which soon started easing past the coveted 200 mark. The road ahead turned into a blur of light and time seemed to slow down in Max’s sights. His body seemed to relax on its own. He lost that tense look of concentration in his eyes and was glazed over with an expression on inexplicable peace. And in that moment, it was here he felt calm. It was here he felt free.

Do you understand what I’m telling you, kid?

Max’s thoughts were interrupted when his cell phone started ringing.

Max snapped back to reality. His reaction was immediate. He let go of the gas pedal and let the car ease itself back down onto a reasonable cruise speed. He didn’t bother shifting down yet since travelling a low revs conserved fuel. As the engine eased down to a low hum and the XKR cruised at a respectable 90 mph at around 2000 rpm, Max reached into his pocket and fished out his W880i.

He looked at the caller ID and saw that it was Mrs. Cooper calling. Max answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Max, where are you right now?” asked Mrs. Cooper.

“Just cruising around. What’s with the late night call?”

“We…have a bit of a problem.”

“…What kind of problem?”

* * *

Back at the parking garage.

“I came here for you,” said Boomer as he came right up to Bull’s face.

Bull for his part remained cool. He knew who he was dealing with and he knew how to deal. “Really? Why would that be?”

“You and I have unfinished business, pal,”

“Looking at you talking all tough. You think you got what it takes to go up against me. You barely walked away from the last time you challenged me. Do yourself a favour kid and quit while you’re ahead.”

Bull started to walk away at that point. Boomer was visibly irked by this gesture. Boomer tried to go after Bull and grab his shoulder but was interrupted when that man in leather quickly stood in front of Boomer and pushed him back. Boomer stumbled back a bit and the man in leather made a threatening gesture with his hands.

“You best back up there pal,” he told Boomer.

“Stay out of my way, man,” said Boomer. “This has nothing to do with you.”

“You think you can challenge the boss like that? He’s beaten hotshots all over this town. What makes you think a rank amateur like you stands a chance?”

“I know I can beat him!”

“Please! You probably can’t even beat me!”

“Beat you? I’ll mop the floor with you!”

“It’s a hundred years too early for you to be challenging me, kiddo.”

“Prove it then!” said Bull now turned back towards Boomer’s direction.

The man in the leather jacket looked back at his senior. “What? Boss?”

“You’ve always been a bit of a big mouth, Viktor. You have a car but you can barely call it a tuner car. Calling it a ricer is closer. Plus you haven’t really had what anyone would call a fantastic winning record and I’m starting to wonder why I let you roll with me when everybody else in this group is getting ahead of you. And do I have to remind you how far your…’easy win schemes’ have taken us? I don’t know why I bothered listening to you after all this time.”

The guy in leather, or “Viktor” as it seemed, looked shocked. “B-B-But boss. You can’t be serious.”

“I am very serious.” Bull walked right up to his face. “You kept promising me I’d be big by now but I’m still racing no-talent hotshots for chump change. Your schemes have led to nothing but trouble. If you wanna stay with us then prove to me that you’re worth keeping.”

“But I am a good driver! I can race for you. You just haven’t been giving me enough chances.”

“I gave you plenty and you’ve proven nothing to me. You just like this kid here!” Bull pointed towards Boomer which caught him off-guard. “Both of you are all talk but with nothing behind it. Just like this kid, you kept telling me you got what it takes to roll with the best but you barely pass as a rookie! I’m sick of all that bullshit! You want chances? This is the last one you’re ever gonna get! Beat this kid and prove to me that there’s something behind those things you keep babbling on about!”

Bull quickly turned away and walked up to Boomer.

“As for you, kid, here’s my deal. You beat this guy and I’ll give you that race you want for whatever stakes you decide. That cool with you?”

Boomer was hesitant in answering. This wasn’t what he came for. A race to get back his reputation was all he wanted and he couldn’t do that unless it was Bull who he’ll beat. But he somehow knew that he couldn’t back down from this race. Seeing that little exchanged between Viktor and Bull seemed to have delivered the hint that this might not be as easy as he thought.

Boomer was having second thoughts now. Maybe Max and Jae were right and maybe he wasn’t ready yet. Maybe he did act a little too hastily when he decided to come here tonight. By that little conversation Bull had with his man, he could somehow surmise that this Viktor was not much of a racer but he talked big anyway. A thought occurred in Boomer’s head: Am I like that?

“Well?” pressed Bull. “Are you gonna accept or are you just another windbag like Viktor here?”

Boomer knew he had no choice at this point. “…I accept.”

Bull smiled. “Good. Let’s race then…”

* * *

Minutes later

Boomer’s Peugeot 206 GTi sat in the middle of the floor of the first level. His front bumper was directly behind a bright red line that was drawn on the floor with some florescent chalk which glowed brightly under the florescent lights in the ceiling. Already a crowd was gathering around the starting line while Boomer sat nervously at the line.

The race was simple enough to understand but several times harder to execute. The racers start at a single point on the first floor where they will also end. On the signal of the start both cars will dash straight towards the ramp going around and up to the next floor above, located at the middle part of the side of the structure. Once the driver reaches the next floor he will dash all the way to the opposite wall about 200 feet from the ramp. At the wall the driver will turn right towards the corner of the floor around 250 feet away. The driver’s objective will be to turn right at every corner on the floor before returning to the middle and head back towards the ramps and go to the next level above where the driver will repeat the process.

The driver must do this for all four levels above the first level and after clearing the top level it’s straight down the ramps back to the first level to a final short sprint back to the driver’s original starting position. As usual, first guy to finish ling wins all the stakes which in this case was a respectable twenty-one thousand roubles.

Already, some of the onlookers had placed themselves in and around the course, cell phones at the ready transmitting live video via the airwaves to other cell phones and to large LCD screens that were the usual modifications to the numerous tricked out rides there. Audience members were guaranteed the best seats in the house no matter.

“You can do this,” Boomer said quietly to himself. “You can do this…You can do this…You can do this…”

His mind kept reeling back to all those conversations he had with Jae in the past few weeks. Jae had always told him he wasn’t ready to take on any of the more experienced racers. Up until that incident at the docks, Boomer only took on other newcomers and newbies in the world of street racing. Boomer had always called those victories results of his skill while everyone else seem to think that it was mostly because of his superiorly tuned car.

Boomer longed for a chance to challenge a more elite member of the racing world in a high-stake race. The first chance he got was an absolute disaster. Yet after that he still continued to talk big even in the face of far superior racers like Max and Mrs. Cooper who have been trying their best to train him. And now all that is causing him to have doubts. Bad timing considering what’s about to happen.

He continued his chant. “You can do this…You can do this…You can do this…”

“You know that only works if you believe it yourself,” said Max who was suddenly leaning down over the driver’s window looking right down at Boomer.

Boomer was taken by surprise by Max’s sudden appearance and quickly stopped his little mantra.

“What’s the matter?” said Max “Getting nervous?”

“Man, what are you doing here?” Boomer demanded, looking at Max in his militsiya jacket and his goofy fur hat.

“Isn’t that my question?” Max asked.

Boomer was silenced for a moment. He took a closer look at Max’s face to see if he was mad or something. He knew Max had every right to be. But it looked more like he was mildly annoyed at best.

“…So, did you come here to stop me racing.”

“Originally yes. But…”

“…But what?”

“You need this lesson. If it was Bull I would’ve stopped you but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I heard from some guys back there your racing another guy from his crew. Is that right?”

“Yeah.”

“What’s he like, this guy you’re up against?”

“He’s…I don’t know. From what I could tell from his talk with his boss it seemed like he’s not that spectacular. And apparently…he likes to talk big a lot…kinda like…like me…”

Max was taken a bit aback by that but eventually smiled at that last comment. He’s finally learning something important, Max thought to himself. Boomer also noticed that smile but was a bit confused as to what it meant. Before he could say anything, the roar of a big V8 rolling up to the starting line interrupted them. Both Max and Boomer looked behind the Peugeot 206 and spotted Boomer’s opponent.

Viktor’s car was a navy blue 2004 Pontiac GTO. As far as styling went the car had silver racing stripes running down the top of the body and on the sides of the car. The car was also equipped with a RK Sports ground effects kit. Performance-wise the cars only modifications were Predator GM Flash Tuner for the engine management system, a Dropzone lowering spring set for the suspension, and some slick street performance tires from BFGoodrich wrapped around 18” Marin Wheels from American Racing.

As soon as he reached the starting line, Viktor continuously revved his engine as to try and intimidate Boomer. Which seemed to be working to a certain degree. Boomer listened nervously to the power of that engine. That thing had to be sporting at least 400 horses, he thought. Max thought the same thing but as he listened to the engine he got a good profile of the car in the process. Around them, the audience gallery started cheering.

This was Max’s special skill after all. He was impassioned when it came to cars and he studied all he could about cars in his spare time. A simple rev of the engine and Max could easily make a pretty accurate description of its performance. He did estimate that the GTO had about 400hp under the hood but the engine itself didn’t sound like it had any mechanical tuning done to it. He couldn’t hear the distinctive spooling of either turbos or superchargers. The car seemed to be lightly tuned at best.

“Boomer listen up,” said Max calling Boomer’s attention. “This guy has some decent power under that hood but his car is heavy. You have the advantage in terms of machine performance and your car is much more suited to this kind of course. You can take him, I know you can.”

“You sure about that?”

“I’m sure. This’ll be a good chance for you to learn something important as well.”

“What’s that?”

Just then, Viktor stuck his head out the window of his GTO and began calling out his opponent. “Hey! Are you done chit-chatting already?! Let’s race dammit!”

“Are you in a hurry to lose or something?” retorted Max. “Wait a freakin’ second, will ya’!”

That silenced Viktor temporarily and seemed to have gotten the crowd riled up a bit. Max turned back to Boomer.

“Listen carefully, Boomer, this is important.”

Boomer turned his full attention to Max now. Max started. “Don’t look at his bumper. That’s a mistake most newbies make. If you concentrate on his bumper then you’re only concentrating to be as close to him as possible but not going ahead of him. Focus on the road ahead.”

“But I don’t understand how that will--”

“Just remember this: The road is your true opponent. Everything else is just an obstacle you have to drive around. Concentrate on the road ahead; find a driving line that works for you. Remember, everything else is just an obstacle that you have to look beyond to find your ideal line. You getting me?” Max’s sharp blue eyes looked insistent.

Boomer hesitated a bit and then nodded eventually.

“I hope so.”

With that, Max stepped away from the Boomer’s Peugeot 206 and walked to the middle of the lot right in the path in-between the two racers. The crowds cheered in anticipation. Max raised one hand and pointed to Boomer who responded by revving his engine to signal he was ready. With the other hand he did the same to Viktor who responded similarly. Max raised his right hand with all five fingers out. He counted down starting from his pinkie.

“You got this, Boomer,” he mumbled under his breath as his thumb folded and he formed a fist. Max dropped his fist towards the floor and in that instant both cars were off the line, leaving a cloud of white smoke behind them.

Max turned around and watched the two cars disappear up the ramp. He was a bit nervous when the GTO quickly pulled ahead and reached the ramp first. But he was expecting this. The GTO had the advantage on the straights but this race would be decided in the corners.

He turned towards a parked van on the side where some people have already started to gather. The back of the van was open and this revealed a large plasma screen TV surrounded by a dozen speakers and a couple of subwoofers. The video was a live footage of the race that has been taken to the second level.

* * *

On the second level

The GTO was the first of the ramp. The Peugeot 206 followed soon after only half a second behind. Boomer gunned the engine and closed the gap between him and the GTO even more. They were half-way down the floor approaching the opposite wall and the imminent turn up ahead. Boomer, knowing that he can over take the GTO with sheer power, went for full revs as he aimed for the inside line.

He was caught off-guard when the GTO suddenly cut him off and hit his brakes hard. Boomer was forced to do the same otherwise risk destroying his front bumper in a collision. The GTO ended up taking a tight inside line at low speed, nearly touching the supporting pillar. Boomer had to take a wider line around the corner as he tried to recover. The two cars were approaching the next corner, another right angle. Boomer once again tried to take the inside line. Viktor noticed this as he took a peak at his rear-view mirror.

“No way, kid,” he mumbled, “this race is mine!”

The GTO once again took the inside line and closed the door on Boomer as he tried and failed at an attempt to pass. Boomer fell back as the GTO braked hard and took the corner real tight. Boomer was struggling with the race even though it was still only this early into it. The case was the same for all of the remaining corners. Soon the two cars were headed for the ramp again and going up to the next level, the GTO keeping the lead.

“Dammit,” he keeps cutting me off!” Boomer exclaimed.

On the third level, Boomer once again made several attempts to make a pass but was cut off every time. The GTO maintained its lead as Viktor continued to take tight inside lines at the corners. He may not be the nest racer in the world but he wasn’t an amateur. He had a strategy in mind. By keeping to the inside at all corners he believed that he was assured the best racing line for the course while giving is opponent no avenue to pass. It seemed to be working as Boomer struggled to try and get the inside line.

“No way you’re passing me, Kid” said Viktor. “Give it up!”

By then they were already headed towards the ramp leading to the fourth level and Boomer had yet to do something different. Problem was he couldn’t think of anything other than sticking to the GTO bumper as close as he can. Boomer was getting frustrated and was starting to doubt that he actually had a chance at winning. By the time they exited the ramp and were up to the fourth level, Boomer was only thinking that the same story would happen again.

“Dammit, is there no way around this guy?” he asked himself.

Don’t look at his bumper. That’s a mistake most newbies make.

Suddenly Max’s words popped up in Boomer’s mind. That’s right, Boomer thought. Max said something about this. If you concentrate on his bumper then you’re only concentrating to be as close to him as possible but not going ahead of him. Boomer briefly looked back to what he was doing since the start of the race. That was exactly what he was doing, looking at his opponent’s bumper.

“Then what am I supposed to do then?” he quietly asked himself as the two cars approach the opposite wall.

Concentrate on the road ahead; find a driving line that works for you. Max’s words continued to repeat in Boomer’s head. Remember, everything else is just an obstacle that you have to look beyond to find your ideal line.

They approached the turn and then the GTO once again braked hard and took a tight inside line. Boomer didn’t try to pass this time since he learned it was useless trying to gain the inside line and simply followed the GTO around the corner. But then as the GTO made the turn, Boomer started noticing something.

Everything else is just an obstacle you have to drive around.

Boomer then saw it. He saw the opportunity he was looking for. He finally understood what Max was getting at. He saw his opening. His ideal line. Boomer started to grin devilishly as he gripped the steering wheel a little tighter. So that’s it, Boomer thought to himself. I see it now. I can win this race!

Boomer started pulling back his Peugeot 206 GTi and simply followed the GTO as it went around the next two corners. On the approach to the next corner, Boomer put his plan into action. He knew what to do now, what Viktor’s weakness was and where the true opening was. As usual, Viktor went in tight into the corner grabbing the best line. Viktor was sure by now the victory was his.

“C’mon kid, is that all you got?!” he exclaimed while laughing cockily.

But at that point Boomer made his move. Boomer suddenly moved to the outside just as the GTO braked hard. The Peugeot 206 went on a wide arc across the corner and actually went into a small 4WD drift. Viktor was caught off guard. The Peugeot 206 took advantage of apex which was the widest area in the course and drove as close to the outer wall as close as it could afford. Coming out of the corner the GTO and the Peugeot 206 were neck and neck.

“What the hell?!” Exclaimed Viktor as they came out into the straight.

The Peugeot 206 slowly pulled away as Boomer shifted up a gear. Viktor tried to gun his engine. He knew that if he could get ahead and take the inside line again before his opponent he might have a chance to regain the lead. But he was wrong. The turn came up too soon and Viktor, out of habit, slammed the brakes hard. Boomer didn’t do that. Boomer smoothly down shifted and eased on the brakes aiming for a wider line around the corner.

By then it was clear who had the more pressing advantage. Coming out of the corner, the Peugeot 206 was at least a full car length ahead of the GTO and increasing that gap by the second. Boomer was way ahead by the time he reached the ramp and the GTO followed soon after.

The fifth level was the last level. If anything was gonna happen it had to happen here and now. Viktor knew this was his last chance to regain the lead. As for Boomer, all he had to do was keep the lead for a little bit longer. After making the rounds on this level it was straight down the ramps and back to the first level. Boomer knew the weakness of his enemy now.

Had it not been for Max’s advice he never would’ve seen it. His opponent had a bad habit of braking too hard and always aiming for the inside of the corner. He was slow in coming in and slow in coming out. All Boomer had to do was aim for the outside and let the advantage of his car’s 4WD do the rest.

Boomer easily kept his lead on the last level. With Viktor behind him, he could now concentrate on the best line he could find. He now started aiming for tighter turns in the last few corners. Viktor struggled to keep up to the Peugeot 206. Boomer was now going for the last turn. Viktor was desperate at this point. It showed in his driving.

“I’m not gonna let you beat me!” he exclaimed.

The GTO suddenly shot forward on full throttle. Boomer spotted the move on his rear view mirror. He could predict what was gonna happen if he didn’t move. Boomer turned to the outside and let the GTO pass him on the inside. Viktor thought he regained the lead permanently but neglected to consider that he may have gone in too fast. And in truth he did.

The GTO shot right through the corner and tried to correct itself in the way out but the amount of momentum simply wouldn’t allow it to go on Viktor’s desired line. The GTO understeered coming out of the corner and slid all the way toward one of the supporting pillars. The GTO’s left rear fender slammed into the pillar and caused the GTO to fishtail out of control in the middle of the course while Viktor tried desperately to keep it in check.

Boomer slowed down for only a moment in order to observe the GTO. From a normal person’s perspective the GTO was all over the place and left no room to pass. In the driver seat Boomer thought otherwise.

“Just another obstacle,” he said to himself.

It was then when the GTO was sliding to the right, Boomer quickly shifted up and shot through the brief opening on the left and retook the lead. The Peugeot 206 GTi was the first one to the ramp and the GTO struggled to catch up but was ultimately out of options. The race was practically over.

Less than ten seconds later, Boomer was already at the first level again. He eased his Peugeot 206 onto to finish line into the waiting, cheering crowd. Boomer stepped out and was absolutely ecstatic, raising his fist in the air and yelling out victoriously.

The GTO eventually came down and was only met with the cold disappointment from Bull and the rest of his crew. It was at that point that Viktor knew he was never gonna race in this town again. Boomer enjoyed basking in his victory. Somewhere in the crowd he spotted Max giving him a simple approving smirk.

He didn’t know exactly why but for Boomer this was the sweetest victory he had tasted yet.

* * *

Elsewhere in the crowd

The young man with the camera snapped a couple more pictures of Boomer to accompany the ones he’d taken of the race. Nodding in satisfaction as he made his way back towards the main road, where, again, the same man stood smoking a cigarette leaning on his black Mercedes.

Copyright © 2016 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..