Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 525 Words
  • 1,787 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 13. Writer's Toolbox Prompt 1

Cole Matthews and I each wrote a short prompt piece based on selections from "The Writer's Toolbox". The prompt phrases are highlighted in bold print.

He swore on his mother’s grave, but then he swore on just about everything. Especially when he was drinking. Ben glanced sidelong at the man sitting next to him. It seemed like every night now that he kept an eye on his friend, preventing him from getting his ass kicked or driving home drunk. He sighed and sipped his Coke. Something needed to be done. He couldn’t spend his life making sure Allan didn’t ruin his. And why did he have to be the babysitter every night? He frowned, wishing he could add some Jack Daniels to his Coke.

“What the fuck’s your problem?” Allan’s words were already slurred.

“No problem. I’m just tired.”

“Well then go home. I don’t need you watching me like I’m a goddamn kid or something. You’re no fun anymore.”

Allan knew from experience that confrontation would not work, so he decided to change the subject. “On Tuesday, Susan asked me the most peculiar question.”

“What?”

“You know Susan… Jack’s friend from Seattle?”

“Oh yeah. She’s a bit of a bitch, isn’t she?”

Ben narrowed his eyes. “She’s actually a really nice person, if you’d give her a chance.” He wanted to add ‘when you’re not drunk and swearing up a blue streak’, but decided it wouldn’t be a good idea.

“Whatever. So what was her question?”

Allan tapped his fingers against his glass, producing a dull tinkling noise. He now regretted the change in subject.

“Well? You brought it up, dick.”

Ben looked into Allan’s reddish brown watery eyes and felt a pang of… something. “She wanted to know if we were dating.”

Allan’s loud, boisterous laughter drew disapproving stares from the other patrons at the fairly empty bar they occupied. “Dating? You?” He snorted. “You should be so lucky.”

“I should be so lucky?” Ben stared at Allan. The months of babysitting his friend came to the forefront of his mind. He was reminded of the day that his boss Sheila had brought Hilary, the new business partner, into the office. To call it World War Three would be being nice. No one knew that Hilary’s ex worked at the company. Talk about a business blunder.

“Yeah. Who wouldn’t want a piece of this?” Allan attempted to gesture down his body, but ended up having to grip the bar so he didn’t fall off his stool.

Ben flinched as a revelation washed through him. Susan had asked that question for a reason. And why did he feel the need to look after his friend night after night? He did have feelings for Allan. But his behavior made Ben question those feelings. Did he really want to date a drunk and spend the rest of his life picking up the pieces he left behind his boorish wake?

Ben was enabling Allan’s behavior. Allan would never sober up until he realized he had a problem. Ben sat his glass down with a finality that made even his drunk friend notice.

“Who wouldn’t want a piece of you? Me. That’s who. Have a nice life.” Ben stood and walked out the door, never looking back at his dumbfounded friend.

Check out Cole Matthew's response to the same prompt in "Dinner is Promptly at Eight".  We had a lot of fun writing these this morning :D 
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

16 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

I wouldn't want a piece of that, either. Good for Ben. 

Amen brother, my thoughts exactly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loved the balance between the two stories , one on beginning , the other on ending . So different , very complimentary .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/6/2017 at 5:11 PM, droughtquake said:

These were both damned strange.

Strange in a good way, I hope.  Thanks for reading.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/6/2017 at 5:24 PM, Parker Owens said:

I wouldn't want a piece of that, either. Good for Ben. 

Sometimes the best thing to do is just walk away.  Thanks for reading! 

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/6/2017 at 5:41 PM, BlindAmbition said:

Amen brother, my thoughts exactly.

:yes:  Yes, indeed.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/6/2017 at 10:56 PM, deville said:

Loved the balance between the two stories , one on beginning , the other on ending . So different , very complimentary .

Thanks so much.  We didn't plan it that way.  It was interesting to see each other's take on the same prompt.  Thanks for reading! 

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 10/7/2017 at 7:55 AM, Puppilull said:

Way to go Ben! No need to be a crutch for Allan.

Nope.  Not at all ;)  Thanks for reading :)  

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
7 hours ago, Sherye said:

Well, now I heard everything! A dear bar leave instead of a dear john letter! lol

Sometimes it's best to just walk away.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..