Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 463 Words
  • 1,217 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Big Squeeze - Prologue. Author's Note

Author’s Note:

I know most people probably assume my stories are all just too mental for comfortable reading, especially in my works in science fiction and fantasy genres. Well, I asked myself, what is exacting and interesting field that I could write in?

I am basically a trained accountant. I got credentials from both a Master’s Degree and the US treasury Department. However, before I studied accounting, I was an economics-finance major as I started College in September 2005. In 2007, I officially switched my major to Accounting. The reasons for the switch, without going into detail that you will probably learn more about in this story, is simply none of “high” finance made sense intuitively. Even with my switch in majors, I still graduated a year early as planned with my Bachelor’s in Accounting in June 2008 and continued in school for my Master’s in June 2009.

During the fall of 2008, the finance world experienced what many have called a “once in a century” event. The entire thing was a fiasco of monstrous proportions and implausible gambits by the federal government and Wall Street’s brightest minds. It’s aftermath have toppled national economies and even national governments as I suspect the reverberations of the 2008 Financial Meltdown might have indirectly led to the current European debt crisis.

As for the title, I developed it based on two concepts in Finance that I am betting few people without any experience in the field will get as it is not a nomenclature. In finance, there are two types of so-called “Squeezes”. A “Short Squeeze” is basically a run up in price after a large amount of short sellers cover their positions in a company or “investment vehicle” that they were shorting. They were betting stock, bonds, or whatever prices would go down, but they went up and they have to pay up the difference. It causes a surge in stock price and distorts realistic valuation for outside stakeholders. A “Long Squeeze” is the exact opposite, long term buyers sell their stock into an empty market and keep selling until the price hits near zero or there’s intervention. Both scenarios happened during the fall of 2008, the “Short Squeeze” due to government intervention and “Long Squeeze” as some companies were falling apart.

The story that I have developed with detail and nuance is fiction, but the main events are completely true along with the schemes and plots of CEO’s, government regulators, and even the political establishment. I think gay fiction is due for a new genre engagement and the world of Finance would be a fun thing to start. So buckle up tight and keep your 401K secured, you’re about to go head long into The Big Squeeze.

Copyright © 2012 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..