Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 746 Words
  • 793 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Etulas - Prologue. Prologue

Prologue

Dark clouds loomed above, thickly knitted together. A deep crack formed across the sky, allowing for just enough of the fragile moonlight of the somber night to pass through, illuminating the dull town bellow. The surrounding atmosphere was quiet. Not a soul stirred. Save the ominous trill of wind that began to pick up, a slow rhythmic yet haunting tenor that swept the hushed streets, whipping a few unlucky leaves with it. The streets themselves were like any other, black and tarred with small yet homely looking buildings dotted across the suburban landscape, but it was one building, in particular, that was of interest to a curious-looking figure. This figure stood slender, shrouded in deep grey, hidden just out of potentially prying eyes of the late hour. A bundle delicately secured within it's arms, held close to the decolletage, gently breathing.

Concern etched into her face. Her eyes darted about seemingly looking for something. A presence it would seem. One that she sensed had been following her from the minute she set foot, lurking through the shadows. It's familiar. Defintley not malevolent. She drew in a deep breath and pronounced "Aerwyna, I know you're there".

In response, a silky furred black cat with topaz eyes meowed. Crawling out of a poorly chosen hiding spot to greet the young woman with a knowing smirk. She gingerly freed one of her hands to stroke the feral looking animal. It curled it's body into her touch, purring contently.

"It’s not your job to look after me, you know." She hummed, looking down at the feline.

"It's for the best," she whispered. Trying to say in the bravest voice she could muster.

Gliding across the street, they stood before the oval door of quaint whitewashed house. It had been awhile since she had last visted. Everything was the same except for the wild jasmine, her favourite flower, that creeped up the banister of the patio overlooking the road. The cat plopped down on the doorstep, looking at her expectantly.

"I know it's not safe for him there," she trails off "Yet, I don't want to leave him. I can't help but feel this prang in my chest. I want to protect him with everything I have. I'd glady give my life for him. Is this what it means to be a mother?" she bellows voice cracking, the cat slowly bobbing it's head up and down as if to agree.

"Alright,"she sniffled. He brows creased, tears threatened her eyes. She gently placed him on a rugged beige doormat and knelt down to gently kiss his forehead.

He started to stir, his eyes fluttered open and he beamed sweetly at her. Her chest tightened but she slowly reached over and rapped the door. The cat nuzzled him gently before they, both the cat and the woman, prepared for their departure. Barely audible, the child gurgles out it's first words, slow and meticulous "Ma...ma". The women hesitated. Gritted her teeth and slowly turned her head to catch a glimpse of him. An ocean forming behind her waterline. A single tear, warm and wet rolled down her cheek.

The door creaks open. A man walked out of the house and picked up the infant. Concerned he scanned the area till he locked eyes with the woman. He began to make his way towards her. The hood which did well to conceal her features fell with a gust of wind. His expression softened as he immediately recognised her.

"Minerva", he called out. A fluttering in her chest. For the second time that night, she hesitated. She couldn't allow herself to be ensnared by the possibility of a future with him, with them. The situation in her world was dire. She couldn't allow them to get involved, after all, she loved them. It would be too dangerous. She couldn't bare it if they got hurt. There were things that needed her attention. She found her resolve and firmly planted a kiss on his cheek. It communicated everything she couldn't tell them with words. By the time the man came back to his senses, Minvera was gone. With a flourish of her grey cloak she disappeared in a ring of warm yellow light.

The infant wriggled. It managed to grasp one of his fingers. He smiled at the little creature, a warmth came over him. A renewed purpose. "Don't worry little one. Pappa is here." he coos " Everything will be alright."


 

copyright(2020) (Rosario, Wolffang); all rights reserved
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

An interesting prologue, the story is interesting, but what drew me in was your command of the English language which you more than clearly showed off through the imagery you conjured up. Can’t wait to read more!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..