Jump to content
    WriterJT
  • Author
  • 873 Words
  • 783 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Darkness of Dreams - 2. Wheels Set in Motion

Bring me a Shrubbery!!! or at least some plot!!!

Rickard Pythos reclined in his chair behind his desk. The latest diplomatic missive from Darenhal was full of more signs of weakness in his view. Offering a fairly low cost for Darenhal’s wheat and Suvatran linens, while also offering to pay a bounty on Elvish leather and metalwork. Disgusting, he thought, treating these Elves as equals! They should be bowing before our armies and sending us tributes of these items for not wiping them from this world and razing their precious Glamour Wood to the ground. Filthy creatures!

The ambassador’s thoughts were interrupted by a knock on his office door. “Enter.”

Lord Mattias strolled into the office closing the door firmly behind him. “Good Evening Ambassador, I understand we’ve received another missive from Darenhal for consideration by the Royal House of Vashir.”

“Indeed my Lord we have. Please make yourself comfortable my Lord. May I offer you some wine?” Receiving a slight nod Rickard pours a goblet of wine and passes it to Mattias. “You may speak freely with me my Lord, for I am here to serve you and the will of Darenhal.”

Mattias takes a large swig of the chilled wine and smiles at his friend. Hearing that phrase pass between them signaling that there are none to hear their conversation. “What does the latest missive from my father contain Rickard?”

“More drivel and horse dung, Lord Rahne. Your father has actually offered to trade wheat for barely any profit at all, and the proposed taxes for Suvatran linen is minimal…” he sat sneering at the missive before passing it to Mattias. “It seems as though your dear father actually wants peaceful co-existence with this scum!”

Taking the missive from Rickard’s hand Mattias looks over the latest trade offerings from his home. Sneering he hands it back to Rickard. “What must that man be thinking? Peaceful exchanges? Fair Trade? We should be ruling over them not ruling WITH them! The Gods know I would do anything to avoid marrying that poor excuse for a man known as Talen if I could but I could not convince my father to turn our backs on that damned Accord from Ancient times.” Taking another drink of wine he continued, “No while he lives the Accord will stand, and if i am forced to Wed that sorry excuse of a man I will be damned sure he will be a puppet to my plans. It will not be him ruling his people but me. Finally the humans will have their boot on the throat of this kingdom. A boot that may press down at any moment and destroy the threat of the elves once and for all!” He reached for the wine to refill his goblet.

Rickard smiled at the words coming from his Lord Prince. While Mattias was last in line for the Throne of Darenhal never likely to sit upon that glorious throne, that man wanted power as much as himself. “Of course Lord Rahne. You will be a glorious King my lord. Once you take the throne we will be sure to arrange an accident for your dear husband. While you will grieve his loss, you will be the better man, and bear the burden of ruling this land in his stead so that his memory may live on through you!” With that he raises his goblet as a toast.

Mattias smiles and raises his goblet as well. “What shall we do about that horse dung from Darenhal?”

Rickard pauses for a brief moment before responding. “I will take care of it my lord. Once I have forged a suitable replacement this one will be destroyed. What tone shall we strike up with the new one sire?”

Mattias smirks. “Demand more as a wedding dowry on my behalf and I think we should also demand a sizable tariff for all Elvish exports, as well as one on all imports from Darenhal and the Suvatra. We will make the Elves pay for my having to wed one of their kind.”

Rickard nodded in agreement at the sentiment. The elves should pay, and he would see to it that he received his fair share of that payment. “Is there anything more I can do for you my Lord?”

Mattias finishes his goblet of wine. “Continue to see who you can ply with gold in this infernal household. Before we make our move I want to be sure we have sway within this house. Continue to keep those healer quiet. Thier silence is costing me a small fortune but we must continue to have it if we are to succeed. We don’t need the King and Queen to accidentally hear about the education their last child is receiving.” Mattias stands up. Handing the goblet back to Rickard he turns to leave the room.

“One day soon Rickard this land will know their place. They will no longer be their own land but subject to humans, and no one will be able to stop us from destroying them then!” Laughing Mattias pulls the office door open and leaves.

Rickard finishes off his own wine and smiles to himself. It won’t be long now, then we will see who will be Lord of this house!

Copyright © 2014 WriterJT; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..