Jump to content
    WriterJT
  • Author
  • 779 Words
  • 877 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Darkness of Dreams - 1. Prince or Prisoner?

I repeat this is a very dark story with frequent violence. Please don't read this if it is difficult for you!

*SLAP*

“You worthless korva1 pup!” he screamed. “You look at me when I’m talking to you!” His hand grabbed my jaw hard. I knew there was going to be bruises that the healers would not be able to hide with their salves and tinctures.

*SLAP*

I lifted my eyes from the shattered goblet on the floor to look at him. My prison’s warden, my torturer, my betrothed. I looked into his very human eyes, and tried to hide behind my stoic mask.

“Better.” he sneered at me. “I’m getting so tired of having to explain this to you Talen.”

I winced as his hand tightened on my jaw while he spoke my name.

“How did I tell you to address me when we are seen outside of your suite, or within earshot of others?”

I merely stared at him, daring him to go further.

*SLAP* again, now I’m tasting blood.

“Answer me, Talen.” he screamed at me.

I again tried to ignore him but his squeezing my jaw finally broke my silence with a painful gasp. He smirked knowing he had broken my resolve yet again. I took a deep breath and finally spoke to him. “I have been instructed to refer to you when required as My Lord Protector, Prince.”

“And yet you have disobeyed me once more!” *SLAP*

Apparently getting bored with trying to crush my jaw I am pushed away from him and into the standing mirror, shattering yet another one. He turns to face me, his face flushed red with anger.

“You had better start doing as your told or I will cease being gentle with you Talen.”

There is a knock at the door, which has the immediate effect of convincing my punisher to pull himself back together. “Enter.” he calls out.

Tomlin, a member of the royal guard, enters the room and bows deeply.

“Forgive the intrusion my Prince, my Lord, but it seems that Lord Mattias is needed by the Ambassador of his people. I believe it has to do with the latest diplomatic treaty sent by his father.”

Mattias Rahne spends a few moments staring coldly at Tomlin before speaking.

“Very Well…” turning to me “We will continue this later Crown Prince.” then grabbing his cloak he leaves the room.

Tomlin approaches slowly cautiously glancing back at the door. After a few moments where Mattias may suddenly decide he has forgotten something in the hopes of slipping in one more reminder of my place, Tomlin rushes to my side.

“I wish your parents would cease being blinded by that blasted ancient Accord, and see that this man would kill you if he could get away with it.” Tomlin helps ease me up from the floor into a nearby chair.

“At this point Tomlin, I would welcome Death as an escape from that monster. However, we both know that I am the last heir of my parents and the Accord must be fulfilled for peace between our peoples to continue.”

A look of horror passed across Tomlin’s face as I spoke of death so flippantly, before trying to implore me, “My Prince, please do not speak of such things.”

“It is what it is Tomlin. I desire that monster about as much as I desire the crown upon my head. I wish to be rid of both of them, but can be rid of neither without breaking my parents hearts. I will do as the Goddesses of the Moon and Forest command and suffer in silence. I am sure a path will eventually be revealed for me. We shall see though if it is to be revealed while I still wake outside the Dream2.” I let out a pained sigh as I settled into the comfortable chair.

“Rest, Prince Talen, I will send for the healers once more. Once they have you settled in bed with one of their vile concoctions…” he chuckled. “I’ll send for a steward to clean up the mess caused by the latest spat.”

I laughed silently then clutched at my stomach which was sure to be bruised once more. “Tomlin stop! It hurts to laugh.” I sighed once more. “Maybe it is best to send for them, but keep it quiet, it is one thing to handle rumours of Mattias being a clumsy drunk, the main staff does not need to know that I am little more than his Ko-rah3.”

Tomlin bowed and left the room, leaving me to my pain and the silence. I said a silent prayer, Goddesses above, please show me my path and soon. For I am uncertain how much to continue with the path you have chosen for me now!

Korva1 - Elvish word for a mangy hound that feeds entirely on carrion.
the Dream2 - Elvish myth of the Afterlife. Their Elders aren't actually deceased but are sleeping encased in a Translucent Amber of their most sacred and holy tree.
Ko-rah3 - Elvish term for punching bag.
Copyright © 2014 WriterJT; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..