Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,550 Words
  • 923 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio <br>

Season of Bloom - 33. Mivon Mistake

“I’m surprised you invited the Thuvian along for this hunt.”

Faes frowned at the dark skinned ranger who was scouting ahead with his dog. He acted like everything was an ambush. It was a sound strategy, in enemy territory. But they were barely three hours from Ismenia, on their way to a hunting lodge. Monsters were appearing all across the barony, and the half orc Kassil had suggested hosting a hunt in the middle of winter to deal with them. Among the guests, he had insisted on including members of a group of southern rangers, Aldori Swordlords from Mivon, and retainers from Irovetti’s personal circle, all in an effort to curry favour with the kingdoms around the barony. It was a futile gesture in Faes’ opinion. Everyone who came was here for one thing. To spy on Ellesmera and report back to their superiors. It would do no good to show them just how desperately the barony needed help. And wasn’t Surtova supposed to be Ellesmera’s overlords? Where was their help, their invitation?

The hollowborn pushed that out of his mind, fixing his eyes on the broad back of their own ranger, filled with rippling muscles from years as a carpenter and months as an archer hunting trolls.

“He is better for a hunt than Regongar. And besides, if we need help, Valerie can protect us,” Lapis replied as they neared a hunting lodge.

“And Tristian? Shouldn’t he be looking into the cultists?”

“Would you rather be roaming the lands without a healer? I’m not resilient enough to keep us all on our feet while trying to stay alive myself. Of course, you could probably hunt these creatures all on your own, couldn’t you?” Lapis smirked.

“Careful kitten,” Faes scowled.

“Or what? What are you going to do? I love your punishments,” Lapis grinned.

“Then I’ll take them away. I won’t have sex with you for a month,” the hollowborn said.

The smirk fell from Lapis’ face, a stricken look replacing it.

“That’s what I thought. Behave kitten. I’m still in charge here.”

The amurrun muttered grumpily as he approached the lodge. Faes followed close behind, letting a flame wander over his hand. His hood was up, his face hidden, and the hollowborn was feeling pretty powerful.

The lodge was already filled with people, separated into three groups. A man approached before Faes could get a good look, and the half human frowned at him from under his hood.

“My lord! I am Jamel Visser, First Ranger of the Embeth Travellers, and I would like to personally thank you for hosting this hunt. Our prey won’t be the normal hares and foxes though. We’re hunting wyverns, owlbears, and hydra.”

“We should have brought the kobold,” Faes scoffed. “A shame he’ll be missing all of this.”

Lapis sent the hollowborn a scouring look.

“I’ve already examined the hunting grounds,” Jamel continued, frowning at the two. “The specimens I’ve seen are much larger and fiercer than normal monsters of their types. Any one of them would pose a threat, but multiples…”

He shook his head with a sigh.

“I’m willing to do whatever I can for my people,” Lapis promised. “And I want to thank you for your help. It truly is invaluable.”

“Oh it is wonderful practice for my rangers,” Jamel chuckled. “In fact, we have a prize to offer. There are three dire beasts in the hunting grounds. If anyone can bring back two of their heads, then they will win this.”

He motioned to a large chest with golden trim. Faes’ eyes widened in interest.

“It is a royal prize,” Lapis smiled, looking at the chest in appreciation. “I accept your challenge.”

“This is no game. Not when lives are perishing,” Ekundayo scowled at the chest.

“Yet extra gold can go a long way toward helping the barony grow. And the monsters will be dead,” Faes pointed out.

“My men will not be dallying. I wish you the best of luck,” Jamel smiled slightly.

Already people were leaving the hunting lodge, hastening to their goal. Faes watched them squeeze through the door and vanish into the midmorning light.

“Well, what are we waiting for then? Let’s go hunting.”

 

Faes grimaced at the steaming pile, standing well clear of the rancid stool. A flame warmed him suitably and he looked down on the rest of the party in disgust as they gathered for warmth.

“What is it?” Linzi demanded.

“What do you mean, what is it? Isn’t it pretty clear?” the hollowborn scowled.

“I mean, it smells like poop, but that thing is nearly as tall as Khemet,” Linzi frowned.

“If it smells like shit and looks like shit, it’s probably shit,” Faes said. “Of course, if you need proof, you can try to dig through it.”

“Ew! Oh Shelyn no!” the halfling gagged.

“Owlbear,” the Thuvian added quietly. “Tracks head west.”

“Something that big, I hope one of the other groups got there first to soften the target,” Faes muttered, looking west.

Snow was starting to fall, threatening to obscure the tracks. He wasn’t too alarmed though; the size of the creature they were hunting would leave large marks in the ground.

Valerie pointed with her mace toward a boulder, a scowl on her face.

“It’s cruder than most of the Eternal Rose’s artwork, but that looks like a giant owlbear,” she said.

“Then I guess that’s a good place to start,” Lapis shrugged. “We’ll regroup under there and set up some defences before heading forward.”

The group moved forward, Valerie and Linzi gathering a collection of small wooden owlbears from under the rock. Lapis and Tristian began their prayers, even Ekundayo offering words of wisdom for them.

A sudden scream interrupted their preparations, and Lapis raced off toward the sound, leaving the group staring after him.

“GODS DAMN IT LAPIS!” Faes bellowed, chasing after the catfolk.

Defences half set, the group burst into a snow filled clearing, Faes watching a body fly through the air. An enormous owlbear awaited their assault as a lone sword wielder stood her ground against the enraged beast.

“Tristian, tend to the fallen. Ekundayo, slay that thing. Linzi, hasten our steps. Valerie, protect that fighter. Keep Khemet and the dog alive. They can hold the line,” the hollowborn snapped, burning through his energy for a massive strike against the dire owlbear.

Lapis was already plucking away, a series of arrows on his string as he attacked the beast. The owlbear let out a roar, swatting at the fighter. She barely dodged the attack, her blade cutting a thin line into the owlbear’s side.

Fire rushed at the owlbear as Khemet charged into battle, flame and claw and arrow combining to bring the beast low. Twelve seconds of fighting passed in an eternity, before the owlbear finally dropped, leaving the group panting for breath.

Faes stepped up to the beast with a scowl, unleashing the pain of his fire into the departing soul. Refreshed, the hollowborn adjusted his hood, before joining Lapis and the other fighter, a Mivon Swordlord, at the fallen fighter’s side.

“She’s stable,” Tristian said, hands moving slowly over the woman’s body.

Wounds vanished slowly, the fighter recovering as the cleric worked.

“We owe you our lives,” the other fighter said, wiping blood off her armour.

“I’d say,” Faes smirked. “That thing almost killed you.”

“That’s because someone likes to charge in without ever thinking up a plan first,” the fighter scowled at her companion.

“Really? I thought it was because you like to raid the kitchens for cookies instead of practicing…” the other swordlord scowled.

“I’ve always heard your leaders are chosen by duels. But judging by that display with the owlbear, I bet one of our cooks could beat a Mivon Swordlord in a duel with their hands tied,” Faes scoffed.

“Faes!” Lapis yelped.

“Were we not guests of your baron, I would make you eat those words. You will rescind your words now or I will be forced to demand satisfaction,” one of the fighters snarled.

“Satisfaction? I’m sorry, I’m saving myself for-”

A hand suddenly slapped over the hollowborn’s mouth, Lapis twitching as he silenced the kineticist.

“I apologise for his words. I am certain Mivon Swordlords are masterful in the art of swordplay,” the amurrun said quickly. “It was a poor joke. I’m sure Faes didn’t mean anything by it.”

“In Mivon, that sort of joke usually ends with the jester trying to find a new shirt to fit the new holes in their gut.”

“Noted…” Lapis shuddered. “You two take care.”

“Hear that sister? Take care. As in, take care that the monsters don’t eat you,” the swordlord scoffed at her companion.

“Got it,” Linzi said, pushing the owlbear’s severed head across the ground.

“You don’t mind if we take the prize, do you?” Faes smirked, pulling Lapis’ hand away from his mouth. “After all, we did kill the thing for you.”

“Take it. We’ll likely head back to the lodge. It’s not like we’re doing any good here.”

The sisters hurried away from the hunting grounds, Faes staring after them in disgust.

“Really. This is the best Mivon has to offer?”

“You’ll be grateful enough if we ever get attacked by Pitax,” Lapis said.

“Indeed. Grateful our soldiers have meat shields.”

© 2020 Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2021 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Owlcat Games, Deepsilver and Pazio <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..