Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Pupil Appeals Harry Potter 'Witchcraft'

The Story Lover

Pupil Appeals Harry Potter 'Witchcraft'

Nov 1, 9:12 AM (ET)

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African schoolboy appealed to education authorities after refusing to answer an exam question on Harry Potter because he believes the best-selling children's books promote witchcraft.

Eighteen-year-old John Smit did not answer a comprehension question on a review of one of J.K. Rowling's books on the boy wizard, worth 30 percent of his English exam.

"He wouldn't answer it because it supports witchcraft, and we're against witchcraft ... the Bible is against witchcraft," Smit's mother, who did not wish to give her first name, told Reuters.

The family has written to provincial director of examinations to complain. Authorities have yet to respond.

"I hope they will give him his average mark. This shouldn't happen again," she said.

African Christian Democratic Party MP Cheryllyn Dudley said South Africa needed a clear policy to avoid other pupils facing moral dilemmas during exams.

"I have read (Harry Potter books), I have researched them thoroughly, and my personal opinion is that they are witchcraft manuals," Dudley told Reuters.

Unfortunately, the incident in South Africa is what happens when the Bible is taken literally. Of course, one wonders what the "honorable" MP does when it comes to the dietary restrictions that are found in the Old Testament, and the punishments for violating them. And of course there are Christ's admonishments to "Love Thy Neighbor" and other sayings along those lines. I wonder if she follows them at all times as well.

:thumbdown:

Come on where in the book does it say any thing about witchcraft?

Umm... 1) Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 2) "Are you a witch or not?" - Ron Weasley to Hermione Granger.

I dare say that witchraft is mentioned quite often throughout the book(s), however I don't see how it could be considered a manual. There's only the vaguest reference to "swish and flick" and the dangers of misenunciation but nothing that would be remotely close to "instructional".

:( I now have a sore head through banging it against the nearest wall having read of such stupidity. How do these people with stupid views like that ever get into positions of responsibility?

It's sad, that really says it all. Kids love the HP books, but they don't honestly turn into witches and warlocks do they? No courses running at our local University.

(Gentim)  And of course there are Christ's admonishments to "Love Thy Neighbor" and other sayings along those lines.

Hey I'm not loving my neighbour - she looks more like an authentic witch than anything that came out of Hollywood.

Come on where in the book does it say any thing about witchcraft?

Umm... 1) Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. 2) "Are you a witch or not?" - Ron Weasley to Hermione Granger.

I dare say that witchraft is mentioned quite often throughout the book(s), however I don't see how it could be considered a manual. There's only the vaguest reference to "swish and flick" and the dangers of misenunciation but nothing that would be remotely close to "instructional".

Yeah i forgot about that when i first posted it sorry.

(Gentim)  And of course there are Christ's admonishments to "Love Thy Neighbor" and other sayings along those lines.

Hey I'm not loving my neighbour - she looks more like an authentic witch than anything that came out of Hollywood.

I didn't mean that way! HEHEHEHE! :lmao::devil::read: