Quatre Mille Huit Cent Soixante et Onzi

Jack Frost

For benji's sake:

Ah French, it's awesome. But I can't add accents (the things on the vowels). My keyboard doesn't have the ability.

Congratulations my ???/goat.

And yes, I'm trying to impress you with my French.

Kisses,

Ieshwar

I always hate translating between French and English, because any direct translations sounds awkward in the other language, but it's been too long since I've had the opportunity to converse in French.

Menzo

PS Sorry Carl, I couldn't resist :P

B) ..........Thanks!! I knew I should have taken a 2nd language in school (they didn't offer French though, I think it was German or Spanish)

Well, your spelling is definitely better than mine...I can pretty much comprendez the words, but trying to put it together into sentences and words...well let me spend a few weeks in Paris again before I try that...

(Yes, when I was in Paris I did manage to do quite a few things based on my high school french after listening to the language for a few hours. Checking into the hotel: No Problem. Dealing with the Metro ticket operators who refused to speak English, well I got the right tickets for the right price so I did okay. Ordering my food at the Le Palme de Pan wasn't a problem (and I eventually ordered for my boss after he got done). Getting the rental car without using english, I managed. Asking for directions while in the rental car...c'est horrible!!!!! Luckily the nice gendarme (cute too!) spoke English.

Well, your spelling is definitely better than mine...I can pretty much comprendez the words, but trying to put it together into sentences and words...well let me spend a few weeks in Paris again before I try that...

(Yes, when I was in Paris I did manage to do quite a few things based on my high school french after listening to the language for a few hours. Checking into the hotel: No Problem. Dealing with the Metro ticket operators who refused to speak English, well I got the right tickets for the right price so I did okay. Ordering my food at the Le Palme de Pan wasn't a problem (and I eventually ordered for my boss after he got done). Getting the rental car without using english, I managed. Asking for directions while in the rental car...c'est horrible!!!!! Luckily the nice gendarme (cute too!) spoke English.

B) .........Getting back to the States..........priceless :P

I was speaking informally, my dear. "e" is acceptable and "post" are acceptable.

Though I admit I should've put "de" over "pour" and the "," over "." or no dot. English slipped in. :(

Preserved? Tell me, how do you say "I park my car in the parking lot." ;)

To be honest, I never heard that because it's just "bienvenue". I always say "de rien"

And don't say "butchered" beyond repair. That's rather subjective (not to mention offensive to us). Just because we don't speak French like those in France doesn't mean we're bastardizing the language. The couple centuries of isolation from France made the language goes its own way.

You might be right about that, I haven't been to Quebec in years. And I'm just kidding...it's a build up of bias from English-speaking Canada and France :P And well, the Brits dislike any sort of French ;)

Menzo

I once watched a movie on TV in Paris that was in French and had French subtitles. That was helpful for me, since I could read it and hear it and follow the dialog better than I could have with either one alone. The movie was about auto racing and didn't have a lot of dialog anyway. I was curious as to why they had the subtitles. There was not any difference in the words except for "cuss" words: The actor would say some vulgarity in English, and the subtitle would give the French equivalent.

I didn't see it from the beginning, but I eventually caught on that the action took place in Canada. I figured out that the subtitles were for those French who won't admit that they can understand the Canadian variety.

I didn't see it from the beginning, but I eventually caught on that the action took place in Canada. I figured out that the subtitles were for those French who won't admit that they can understand the Canadian variety.

That's the most amusing part. Here, it doesn't happen...we never put subtitles for France French speakers because we can understand them too easy, but the France French speakers always have some problem understanding us. My French roommate just bitched few weeks ago about not being able to understand what they're saying at work. :P