Michael H

After my second novel I learned that value of beta readers. Their worth is beyond rubies. It's hard work!

M

I'm starting to like this one. Thanks dear. Pop into the editors section. There should be a pinned thread about who is an official beta reader and how to get one.

I'm starting to like this one. Thanks dear. Pop into the editors section. There should be a pinned thread about who is an official beta reader and how to get one.

Thanks Rose. I'll definitely look around for a few beta readers when I get something more than a few chapters down. I have a cadre of six to eight readers. They sure saved my bacon with my last book. However, two live in Australia and one is in Scotland. My WIP is about the Two Spirit tradition among the Native Americans at the turn of the last century. The title is "The Bow And The Basket" so you can see why these three readers wouldn't have much to say in the way of authenticity.

The research for this project is fascinating!

M

Thanks Rose. I'll definitely look around for a few beta readers when I get something more than a few chapters down. I have a cadre of six to eight readers. They sure saved my bacon with my last book. However, two live in Australia and one is in Scotland. My WIP is about the Two Spirit tradition among the Native Americans at the turn of the last century. The title is "The Bow And The Basket" so you can see why these three readers wouldn't have much to say in the way of authenticity.

M

Hope you're enjoying the forums so far! We're a friendly bunch, right?

Anyway, it's interesting to hear you mention research for a writing project. I'd love to write something I have no idea about, but the thought of all the research I'd have to go through is so intimidating. Such as, where would I begin? What sources, how do you gather everything, and finally, start writing it??

M

Your welcome dear. And good luck with your works. It's a lot of fun doing research, since you also learn quite a bit.

The book actually sounds very fasinating and I can't wait to be able to read it. I hope you find the help you need here. I've discovered that finding a beta reader here was the easiest and the best move I could have done. They have helped me with my stories, including two that have yet to be posted yet, seeing as they are still in the planning stages. ;)

Once more, I wish you the best of luck with your stories.

M

I'm not so sure about that Michael. As a beta-reader we often have to do our own research to be sure the author is presenting an authentic scenario. With sci-fi/fantasy there's often not much need to do research. However, take the novel our mutual friend is writing. I've needed to do a little research into subject matters I've never dealt with before just to be sure he was portraying things accurately. You might find if your beta-readers enjoy doing research they can do as good a job for you on this new book of yours as they've done in the past. :)

Edited by GaryInMiami

Hope you're enjoying the forums so far! We're a friendly bunch, right?

Anyway, it's interesting to hear you mention research for a writing project. I'd love to write something I have no idea about, but the thought of all the research I'd have to go through is so intimidating. Such as, where would I begin? What sources, how do you gather everything, and finally, start writing it??

My first book began with a photo of a crowded street in Philadelphia. I picked out a man in the crowd and began to give him a history, and a present life. Where did he live? Is he wealthy? Does he work? If so at what? What makes him tick? Is he a good man or a not so nice man? That sort of thing. It all came from a photo. I spun off two other books from that fist one.

Research is easy as long as you have a computer and if you ask the right questions.

When I begin a book I write the first chapter and then I write the last chapter. Many writers do this. Writing the last chapter gives me a terminus. With the first book I wrote three alternate endings and when I got to the end I wrote a fourth, which I used.

I research as I need it. In my second book my MC travels via camel from a fictitious spot in Sudan's Nubian Desert to Port Sudan on the Red Sea. I calculated the speed of a walking camel from my spot to Port Sudan on the Red Sea. I didn't know I need that until I was faced with the scene. That's when I sat with calculator in hand and figured it out. I knew that if I got that time wrong some smarty pants would post a review on Amz pointing out my hasty research. All my books are researched that way. God bless the internet!

This new project is new to me because I write intrigue not romance, and I'm writing about a time I never saw. Not only that, my blood is not native to this land. The culture I hope to illuminate is only now beginning to be recognized and rediscovered as a part of the native experience. The easy part is that this is fiction. I just have to get my facts right. With this book I got the inspiration (if I dare use the term) from an "In The Life" episode aired in 1995. I have the link if anyone is interested in the Two Spirit tradition of the American Indian. Oh, a word about PC. In my book the Native Americans are always referred to as Indians because it is the usage of the time.

M

I'm not so sure about that Michael. As a beta-reader we often have to do our own research to be sure the author is presenting an authentic scenario. With sci-fi/fantasy there's often not much need to do research. However, take the novel our mutual friend is writing. I've needed to do a little research into subject matters I've never dealt with before just to be sure he was portraying things accurately. You might find if your beta-readers enjoy doing research they can do as good a job for you on this new book of yours as they've done in the past. :)

Gary, you're probably right. It didn't occur to me that these readers would do research on a subject so removed from their history. I wonder if the Two Spirit tradition exists among the Australian Aborigine? I should ask.

M

Gary, you're probably right. It didn't occur to me that these readers would do research on a subject so removed from their history. I wonder if the Two Spirit tradition exists among the Australian Aborigine? I should ask.

M

I do know that many cultures have things similar to the Two Spirit concept. A quick bit of research shows that in fact Aboriginal culture does include mixed gender roles and they even refer to it as the two spirit concept of Native Americans.

My partner Peter and I are gearing up for an AKC dog show in York, PA this weekend. That means bathing one of our 85lb borzoi, putting her through a few paces to remind her what's expected of her in the ring. Once I get permissions I'll post some pics of our girls. We also have 5 Welsh corgis. Although our WCs are show quality we keep them as pets. Once the borzoi finish their championships they too will retire to a life of running, lounging and living the good life without the spotlight.

M

Oh that sounds wonderful! It must be a lot of fun :)

I look forward to seeing the pics :)

Welcome to the GA madness, Michael!

Perhaps you'll find time to write a short story for either the Spring Anthology or Summer Anthology competitions. Look forward to seeing what you select for an avatar. Kevin can assist giving you a Gay Authors Author plaque to go under the avatar.

Look forward to reading your stories.

Jack B)

I can definitely assist you, although Joe's actually the one who handles that. If you're interested though I'll make sure to let him know and get you set up. Basically it's the read plaque below your name/avatar with "Author" written on it. Beyond looking pretty though, it gives you a different set of permissions which will enable you to interact in the writer and editor forums, so I would recommend getting one ;)

Let me know if you're interested or just contact Joe directly and ask :)

A short story? Oh dear! Jack I can't write a shortie for nothin'! That's why I write novels. I do write essays and reviews but short fiction has always made me crazy. I do have a chapter from my first novel that never made the cut. It's written in first person. Perhaps that would suit. When I dig it up I'll send it to whomever is putting the anthology together. If it fits in all well and fine. If not that's okay too.

That's CJ ;)

There is one thing I might be able to suggest that'll make things a tad easier for you. I saw that several times through the thread you'd posted consecutively as a means of responding to multiple people. There's actually a much quicker and easier way. You can do just like I did in this post by simply clicking the "quote" button below each post that you want to respond to. It'll become highlighted a brighter shade of red and the symbol will change from a "+" to a "-". Anyway just click each quote you want to respond to, then when you're done and ready to add your response hit "Add Reply" (NOT "Fast Reply") at the bottom of the page. It'll then take you to the normal posting screen and all your quotes will be there. Simply click your cursor below the quote after the

[/quote]

box and above the next

[quote name='...]

box

You can also trim the quote down if you like by deleting extraneous text within the quote tags and simply leaving the relevant text. (just please don't misquote anyone or purposely take anything out of context ;) )

Anyway, it actually makes it much quicker and easier for you :)

Take care and have a fantastic day :)

Kevin