Gustav Watch

JamesSavik

I'm James and I'm in a bunker in an undisclosed location in the path of Gustav. (I have thrown Cheney and his shotgun OUT of the bunker.)

I'll be here all night in my Forward Command Post in SE Mississippi. We are beginning to see the first storm bands moving through here at ~8:00 CST.

The endless trail of cars from the South has ended and I think people are hunkering down for the storm.

I am safe on high ground and literally in a bunker sitting on a major network node. I doubt I'll be out of touch anytime soon.

I'll keep you up to date as the storm progresses. Back in an hour.

I am at a staging area about 30 minutes north of the Mississippi-Louisianian border where there are hundreds of electrical and communications people and trucks from as far away as Maryland, Pennsylvania and Michigan. As soon as the storm clears, we'll be going in.

I am part of a team of sub-contractors that will be going to telco COs to check them out, repair as necessary and bring them back online.

My group will be in New Orleans and Baton Rouge putting the broadband networks back together.

I've got my camera and you'll get pics here first as I get a chance to post them.

Right now we're having a BBQ and the Bratz that the yankees brought is smelling good enough to eat.

TTL,

James

We're moving out in stages at dawn. FIrst the guys to clear the roads with chainsaws. Second- the power people. Then the Telephone guys...

From what we've heard, we dodged a major bullet. Gustav was a mess but it was by no means a Katrina.

New Orleans and Baton Rouge are in tact with only minor damage. We've even heard that the power in New Orleans stayed on through the whole ordeal.

Here in McComb, MS Gustav has been loud, wet and obnoxious but is finally beginning to clear up.

Now if Gustav will just move on and let us clean up the mess.

Ya know, I was having a nice week long vacation in New Orleans, having fun drinking and partying to excess every night, then Im told that my hotel is closing and I have to evacuate? Kinda put a damper on the weekend festivities.

Looks like we were pretty lucky with this one! Most of Louisiana sustained less damage than was anticipated smile.gif

Well... if you don't count the webbed feet mutation as damage. :unsure:

If it doesn't stop raining soon, I'm trading our 4X4 in for a canoe.